Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14782935 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65975 on: August 07, 2020, 03:35:55 pm »
(No, because those are types of PLIERS!!  Not to be confused with slip-joint, needle-nose, linesman, etc!)

Never forget virgin (pliers), e.g. http://www.wholesaleengineeringsupplies.com/three-prong-pliers-virgin-pliers.html
This is a rather peculiar name for a Dreidorn-Tüllendehnzange. :o
Yeah.... I was wondering that myself. Those do look suspiciously similar to rubber-band de-nutting pliers commonly used on livestock.  :o

*realization dawns*  :-[ OMG... these pliers are used to expand tight sleeving used for cabling work.

Hence the colorful "term of endearment" referring to the phrase "tight like a virgin". :palm:

I'm afraid Neomys Sapiens is right, and the astute will note they are Hellerman Electric. The points are surprisingly vicious.

When I picked them up at a hamfest (knowing what they are used for), the vendor rather sheepishly asked me if I knew the colloquial name. When he mentioned it, it took several tens of milliseconds before I smiled.

A used to have one of the Hellerman tools, complete with all the sizes of tips, a bottle of the 'special lubricant' (Nudge nudge, wink, wink...) and a fairly full selection of the Hellerman rubber sleeves. Got lost in a move years back and I've sadly never replaced them. I don't have too great a need for them nowadays but when I used to make stuff that was going to go on tour, be abused by roadies and musicians, and generally live a hard life I reckoned that proper use of those extended the life of a piece of gear by five years.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:38:01 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65977 on: August 07, 2020, 03:55:16 pm »
However, only the ones made with a hammer portion on purpose are properly called a Thumb-Detecting Nut-fucker.

Don't you think that being overly precise in "comedy names for tools" is perhaps a tad pedantic? (Rhetorical question)

Yup. Sure do. This is just the place for that. >:D

The thing about a comedy name is that it has to be merely funny, even if only in a "dad joke" kind of way. Arguing over whether a comedy name is the "right" name is rather, well actually I don't know what to compare it to without unintentionally sounding insulting, but it's sorely missing the point of a comedy name which, if anything, has to be technically wrong to be funny in the first place. Being pedantic about comedy names kind of sucks all the joy out of them.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65978 on: August 07, 2020, 04:06:09 pm »
So working on the Type 3A6 Channel 2 issue and basically getting no where. Couldn't figure out why the waveform was getting distorted just before the final vertical amp. Need to do other things this afternoon so buttoned it up for now but put it on burn-in on channel 1 only. I was using a sine wave to troubleshoot Channel 2. Put Channel 1 on a square wave with no input on Channel 2. I happen to switch to Channel 2 only to check it's base line and look what I found. Channel 1 bleeding through to Channel 2. Didn't see that with the sine wave. I'd been barking up the wrong tree.  :palm: The issue is lack of isolation between the channels. So that points directly at the switching circuit. So....when I pick up on this again going to apply same condition and then find out why Channel 2 is picking up an artifact of Channel 1.   :phew:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65979 on: August 07, 2020, 04:13:38 pm »
Hey Med, how's the post storm situation? All OK?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65980 on: August 07, 2020, 04:18:53 pm »
Hey Med, how's the post storm situation? All OK?

All OK with me. As of this morning still approx 12K still without power.

https://www.cenhud.com/news/2020/central-hudson-restores-power-to-nearly-90-of-impacted-customers/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Mr. Scram, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65981 on: August 07, 2020, 04:19:03 pm »
So working on the Type 3A6 Channel 2 issue and basically getting no where. Couldn't figure out why the waveform was getting distorted just before the final vertical amp. Need to do other things this afternoon so buttoned it up for now but put it on burn-in on channel 1 only. I was using a sine wave to troubleshoot Channel 2. Put Channel 1 on a square wave with no input on Channel 2. I happen to switch to Channel 2 only to check it's base line and look what I found. Channel 1 bleeding through to Channel 2. Didn't see that with the sine wave. I'd been barking up the wrong tree.  :palm: The issue is lack of isolation between the channels. So that points directly at the switching circuit. So....when I pick up on this again going to apply same condition and then find out why Channel 2 is picking up an artifact of Channel 1.   :phew:

That might be in spec. Check the calibration in the manual. There is some leakage in the switching diodes usually.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #65982 on: August 07, 2020, 04:21:57 pm »

I believe I called this as something you should look at many pages ago!  :P

The verdict on this Type 3A74 Vertical plug-in.......

I managed to get 4 traces. All unstable with channel 3 being the worst. It bounces where ever it wants to. None will consistently pass a signal although I did manage to get channel 1 to pass something...and then it died. Apparently I'm going to have to dive into the attenuator switch decks and completely clean them too. Oh fun. I was hoping I wouldn't have to. But not today. Got other things to do. Into the repair cue.

So the A trace from my Type CA was doing the bouncing thing, turned out to be the switching multivibrator tube being bad. It stopped when I swapped in another 12AT7.

My planned tactic for working on this is to get channel 1 fully functional all the way to the Vertical output. That way I can use channel 1 as a template and a cross check while troubleshooting the other 3 channels since they are all identical.

That's a good tactic, but I'd still say it's still worth checking the switching circuitry. I have discovered that it can cause trouble in non-obvious ways.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65983 on: August 07, 2020, 04:49:04 pm »

That might be in spec. Check the calibration in the manual. There is some leakage in the switching diodes usually.

The channel isolation is 50,000:1 at 100kHz. That is NOT 50,000:1.  ;D

I suspect a switching diode shorted or leaky.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65984 on: August 07, 2020, 04:50:33 pm »
Saskatchewan Screwdriver...?   ???  :-DD

mnem
Thanks for the belly laugh... I needed it.

That could be a regional (probably mostly just Alberta) thing.  :)

We tend to have quite the (mostly friendly) rivalry with Saskatchewan. 

Especially when the Roughriders are in town playing the Stampeders (CFL football) and vice-versa.  The stands at McMahon Stadium are often half green instead of red on those days as half of Saskatchewan drives here, often like 1000km just to see their team try to take on the Stamps.   ;)

At least there's only one Roughriders in the CFL now.  For years, out of nine teams two of them were named Roughriders.   :palm:
It's like... come on Canada, we're generally reasonably well educated, we know enough vocabulary to come up with nine different team names.    :D

(Of course, all Ottawa came up with was the RedBlacks, but that is Ontario, after all...  But I digress...)  :-DD

Oh, also... As an aside...
When I was a kid, I didn't realize it was called crescent because they were often made by the Crescent Tool company, rather just that the end was shaped somewhat like a crescent, like the moon.  Made perfect sense to me.

You're making me miss playing football.  The semi-pro season in Ontario is cancelled this year.   :'(

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65985 on: August 07, 2020, 04:51:10 pm »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEKTRONIX-468-DIGITAL-STORAGE-OSCILLOSCOPE-PP3/224107574495

The 468 looks OK, HOWEVER,
Seller claims the 212 is used.
Understatement.
Picture confirms this.
Assemble yourself project.
Frans
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:55:13 pm by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65986 on: August 07, 2020, 04:52:18 pm »

I managed to get 4 traces. All unstable with channel 3 being the worst. It bounces where ever it wants to. None will consistently pass a signal although I did manage to get channel 1 to pass something...and then it died. Apparently I'm going to have to dive into the attenuator switch decks and completely clean them too. Oh fun. I was hoping I wouldn't have to. But not today. Got other things to do. Into the repair cue.

So the A trace from my Type CA was doing the bouncing thing, turned out to be the switching multivibrator tube being bad. It stopped when I swapped in another 12AT7.

My planned tactic for working on this is to get channel 1 fully functional all the way to the Vertical output. That way I can use channel 1 as a template and a cross check while troubleshooting the other 3 channels since they are all identical.

That's a good tactic, but I'd still say it's still worth checking the switching circuitry. I have discovered that it can cause trouble in non-obvious ways.  :-+

Well, that wasn't the issue with the Type 3A74 but it does appear to be the issue with the this Type 3A6. So I'll give it to you the credit.  :-+ ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #65987 on: August 07, 2020, 04:55:49 pm »
just for completeness' sake the denutting live stock thingie is calle Burdizzo clamp.
Also being used to produce Eunuchs in the BDSM community.

No, I am not taking in any more slaves. Health insurance rates are a killer.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65988 on: August 07, 2020, 05:12:27 pm »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEKTRONIX-468-DIGITAL-STORAGE-OSCILLOSCOPE-PP3/224107574495

Understatement.
Picture confirms this.
Frans

Ahh that 212 “used” is as in “used as a fleshlight by a whale”

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65989 on: August 07, 2020, 05:41:31 pm »

Well, that wasn't the issue with the Type 3A74 but it does appear to be the issue with the this Type 3A6. So I'll give it to you the credit.  :-+ ;D

Ohhh, ok I had forgotten the model number. But I'll take the credit anyway.  :-DD

Planning to hop in discord today too.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65990 on: August 07, 2020, 05:42:14 pm »

Understatement.
Picture confirms this.
Frans

Ahh that 212 “used” is as in “used as a fleshlight by a whale”

I thought that was supposed to be a "ur mom" joke.  :-DD

:palm:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65991 on: August 07, 2020, 05:47:35 pm »
Now that's a good idea. Was going to ask about that. Assuming it won't melt out of the gaps when it gets warm though. A thing I used to do at school was melt the things on a radiator  :-DD
The best thing to there is to get a small tin of modellers black paint, Humbrol or similar and fine artists paint brush and paint in the engraving, polishing off any paint that comes over the side, carefully. No worry about that melting in the heat etc. Works perfectly if you take your time.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65992 on: August 07, 2020, 05:50:58 pm »

Ohhh, ok I had forgotten the model number. But I'll take the credit anyway.  :-DD

Uh, today is Friday. You are a day ahead of yourself boy.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65993 on: August 07, 2020, 05:52:06 pm »
Now that's a good idea. Was going to ask about that. Assuming it won't melt out of the gaps when it gets warm though. A thing I used to do at school was melt the things on a radiator  :-DD
The best thing to there is to get a small tin of modellers black paint, Humbrol or similar and fine artists paint brush and paint in the engraving, polishing off any paint that comes over the side, carefully. No worry about that melting in the heat etc. Works perfectly if you take your time.

Yeah they was plan A. Was looking for an easier plan B first. Will need to have a couple of days off the coffee and get some abbots in for that  :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65994 on: August 07, 2020, 06:00:43 pm »

Uh, today is Friday. You are a day ahead of yourself boy.  :-DD

Is my lack of sleep this week showing?  :-DD

....in my defense I actually am always logged into discord on the computer.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65995 on: August 07, 2020, 06:05:51 pm »
Turn out it seems very good... i thought the HP was 2 mV off... its a lot less

(Attachment Link)

where did you obtain that voltage ref? I really need one with this growing collection  :-DD

I just put a quick review together about it AD584KH.

its now SD still prosessing HD will be better in a few minutes..
Those little voltage references are great. I got mine from eBay and like yours, the case says AD584M but the actual chip is a AD584KH. Differences between yours and mine are the LEDs, where you have green, I have, and your red one is orange on mine and I also have a proper on/off switch on the side rather than a soft switch.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65996 on: August 07, 2020, 06:35:55 pm »
Reasonably priced Thurlby 1905A:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143675530574
Yep, thats a good price TBH, especially when you consider that it is also a 6.5 digit meter just by pressing the 5th blue button, legend of **, from the left under the display and then pressing the first blue button, it switches into a 6.5 digit mode plus it will do data logging etc as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #65997 on: August 07, 2020, 06:53:26 pm »
However, only the ones made with a hammer portion on purpose are properly called a Thumb-Detecting Nut-fucker.
Don't you think that being overly precise in "comedy names for tools" is perhaps a tad pedantic? (Rhetorical question)

Yup. Sure do. This is just the place for that. >:D

Quote from: mnementh
Evidently this (and many other such special "terms of endearment" for certain tools) was a "thing" among old-timers like him. Who am I to judge...? But I do feel somewhat honor-bound to pass on that "knowledge".  ;)

The thing about a comedy name is that it has to be merely funny, even if only in a "dad joke" kind of way. Arguing over whether a comedy name is the "right" name is rather, well actually I don't know what to compare it to without unintentionally sounding insulting, but it's sorely missing the point of a comedy name which, if anything, has to be technically wrong to be funny in the first place. Being pedantic about comedy names kind of sucks all the joy out of them.

Uh-huh... Well, this is the second time you've quoted me while conveniently discarding the included clear explanation for said pedantry. At this point I can only guess this isn't entirely about pedantry, which the Cerebus we all know and love has never shied away from... so what is it?

Something along these lines perhaps...?  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:22:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65998 on: August 07, 2020, 07:14:34 pm »
Quick question for the UK guys, I'm trying to find out if UPS deliver on Saturdays or not. Does anyone know?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #65999 on: August 07, 2020, 07:16:10 pm »
if you do the extremely urgent hand deliver immediately shipment, yes. Otherwise no.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf