Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14561606 times)

Peter_O, cncjerry, chronos42 and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66650 on: August 13, 2020, 10:27:29 am »
So I uhhhh, have another package coming from Sphere.  >:D It may or may not contain an HP 5326A nixie counter and an 8082A pulse generator.
So your plan is to save all their parts units by buying them whole before they strip them out...?  :-DD

Come on everybody... lets pass a hat for Oculus' VERY important work...  ;)

mnem

Why yes, but these aren't supposed to be parts units!

This IS Sphere we're talking about. Anything that doesn't move in whole will be moved in pieces. Sadly.

mnem
"Don't fall in love with your junk." ~mom
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #66651 on: August 13, 2020, 11:12:25 am »
Me: Hi, can you quote me for delivery to Address A?
Them: Sure, xxx€.
Me: OK, just make sure it's Address A.
Them: Here's the invoice, it actually shows a German address but it will be delivered to Belgium  ;) ;) ;) ;)
Me: OK, don't forget: Address A

**Some time passes**

**RING** **RING**

Transporter: Yeah, I've got a package for you? Mr. Ice-Tea, Address B?

Every. Single. Time.

Anyways:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, syau, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66652 on: August 13, 2020, 11:16:47 am »

I think I may have a small speaker habit... :o

No... not a small habit. Small speakers. As in these are just the small ones. That aren't in use. ATM. There are 3 THX-certified Logitech speakers systems in this box... :palm:

mnem
I shall call it... SpeakerGeddon. :P
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 11:18:35 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #66653 on: August 13, 2020, 11:19:16 am »
need some more ?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #66654 on: August 13, 2020, 11:25:06 am »
update: myocard infarct.  >:( |O :(

This is definitely not good.

Bad news. But lucky enough they got hold of him early enough. All the best !

One more thought: When your heart is (physically not morally) rotten it does not make sense to start with cosmetic repairs (stents).
Bypasses are much more invasive, an incredible butchery and you will need 3 months to be back to normal - but
they are a long lasting solution. My dad got some in his 60ies and he is still alive and kicking with 84 years now.
I dont know anybody with stents where the problem did not come back after 5 years.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:35:34 pm by Wolfgang »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #66655 on: August 13, 2020, 11:47:00 am »
Looks like, there is a new EEVBlog DMM in the queue:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-eevblog-multimeter/

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #66656 on: August 13, 2020, 12:05:58 pm »

Indeed worrying. On the plus side; it was identified, and he is in care. The wikipedia article stresses the time to treatment as important for a good outcome, and from your description, that was taken care of. Thumbs held.

Agreed, it was caught and treated almost immediately. Here's hoping for a good outcome.  :-+
@Saskia - hope things are going well
Ischaemic heart disease is pretty well managed nowadays - sounds like they got him in for a primary angioplasty -  I've seen really good outcomes with those. Bloody tense times though. Unfortunately almost everyone comes home on 6 new tablets, but those tabs have put huge numbers of bypass surgeons out of business.
Every thing crossed for you both.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #66657 on: August 13, 2020, 12:07:50 pm »

Indeed worrying. On the plus side; it was identified, and he is in care. The wikipedia article stresses the time to treatment as important for a good outcome, and from your description, that was taken care of. Thumbs held.

Agreed, it was caught and treated almost immediately. Here's hoping for a good outcome.  :-+

:-+

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #66658 on: August 13, 2020, 12:21:08 pm »
it's his 3 or 4th infarct (4th if you count that last minute 4 stents issue where there was no heart muscle tissue lost). I am worried like hell.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #66659 on: August 13, 2020, 12:29:43 pm »
Keep my fingers crossed and best wishes from my side. Hope, it will turn out good for both of you.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66660 on: August 13, 2020, 12:33:08 pm »
Fingers crossed here for you as well. Thoughts from all of us here.

Well I survived. The rainbow crap drawers which are slowly being crushed by the HP stack are going finally.

Construction complete at lunch time. This feels like it might not collapse with a couple more power supplies chucked on it.

Parrot incursion already.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, tonyalbus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #66661 on: August 13, 2020, 12:37:05 pm »
Looks like, there is a new EEVBlog DMM in the queue

I got the first one and sold it, it did never convinced me. It is not easy to design and put on the market a pro DMM full of features. The result was OK, nothing to go ohhhhh.... I keep my Fluke 85V for the next years.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #66662 on: August 13, 2020, 12:39:40 pm »
Construction complete at lunch time. This feels like it might not collapse with a couple more power supplies chucked on it.

BBSB

Big Brain (on) Small Bench. I am definitely SBBB.
Let's see if I make it to the front page when in 2 weeks bitseeker will read this.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:47:08 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66663 on: August 13, 2020, 12:42:31 pm »

I got the first one and sold it, it did never convinced me. It is not easy to design and put on the market a pro DMM full of features. The result was OK, nothing to go ohhhhh.... I keep my Fluke 85V for the next years.

That's one reason I'll probably never own one. I'm also not convinced it was a decent quality design based on the problems that other people seemed to have with the things. Also it's a hell of a lot more expensive than the equivalent non EEVblog branded Brymen with feature parity.

BBSB

Big Brain (on) Small Bench. I am definitely SBBB.
Let's see if I make it to the front page when in 2 weeks bitseeker will read this.

:-DD

IOSB here. (Idiot On Small Bench)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66664 on: August 13, 2020, 12:54:32 pm »

My immediate reaction on reading this? "Oh bollocks!" said out loud. 

What else can I say that doesn't sound like platitudes? You know that we've all got our fingers crossed for your guy. That's small comfort, but I hope that it is some comfort to you at the moment.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66665 on: August 13, 2020, 12:55:02 pm »
it's his 3 or 4th infarct (4th if you count that last minute 4 stents issue where there was no heart muscle tissue lost). I am worried like hell.
Feeling for you right now, keep standing tall and strong and hope he comes through it OK. Keep the faith.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66666 on: August 13, 2020, 12:56:17 pm »
Me: Hi, can you quote me for delivery to Address A?
Them: Sure, xxx€.
Me: OK, just make sure it's Address A.
Them: Here's the invoice, it actually shows a German address but it will be delivered to Belgium  ;) ;) ;) ;)
Me: OK, don't forget: Address A

**Some time passes**

**RING** **RING**

Transporter: Yeah, I've got a package for you? Mr. Ice-Tea, Address B?

Every. Single. Time.

Anyways:

I know where those came from I drive and pick up the lots I've won. The let me do this for that auction despite Covid 19.

The following users thanked this post: klab

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66667 on: August 13, 2020, 12:57:14 pm »
hey dragon

is that real or did you photopaste it?

if real.......that is great.....a hell of a lot better than a tetris game i played for 30 seconds and then almost forgot about.

am now looking sideways at my 54601 and thinking......hmmmmmm............54645?

free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66668 on: August 13, 2020, 12:57:36 pm »
Fingers crossed here for you as well. Thoughts from all of us here.

Well I survived. The rainbow crap drawers which are slowly being crushed by the HP stack are going finally.

Parrot incursion already.
Nice, but where is the PL320
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66669 on: August 13, 2020, 01:03:38 pm »
In the cupboard of doom with the TG320 and TDS210 and loads of other crap :)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #66670 on: August 13, 2020, 01:06:55 pm »

That's one reason I'll probably never own one. I'm also not convinced it was a decent quality design based on the problems that other people seemed to have with the things. Also it's a hell of a lot more expensive than the equivalent non EEVblog branded Brymen with feature parity.

Which Brymen does have a 15V test mode for diodes?
This is one of the features I'm finding very useful.
And the low burden is also a feature which can be rarely found in handheld DMMs.
There's only one thing that annoys me and that is the blur display of the 121 GW. The display of the BM 235 is way better.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66671 on: August 13, 2020, 01:13:23 pm »
The Ultrasonic Cleaner from the Chinese seller with the Leicester base / warehouse saga rumbles on. I had returned it as requested after they paid the postage fees into my PayPal account. Today I get an email from PayPal saying that they have a claim against me for £10.91  which was the postage cost of the return. The claimant is claiming that they received it.

This is despite it being returned tracked and signed for to the return address they supplied.  One thing I did notice today is the claimant has a different name to the original seller.
I have supplied PP with copies of the signature on the delivery document and the address receipt I got from Post Office when sending it and a description of what it is related to and if they wish to see the email trail between me and seller, eBay them in the archives.

I wonder how many times they have pulled this scam before with other buyers? will keep you updated on results and if need name and shame as a warning to other members, are we allowed to that????
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66672 on: August 13, 2020, 01:16:44 pm »

What? I thought the PL302, TG320 and TDS210 were good items and that you were happy with them, now I guess you're waiting for the next £1 listing day to flip them again  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66673 on: August 13, 2020, 01:18:35 pm »
The Ultrasonic Cleaner from the Chinese seller with the Leicester base / warehouse saga rumbles on. I had returned it as requested after they paid the postage fees into my PayPal account. Today I get an email from PayPal saying that they have a claim against me for £10.91  which was the postage cost of the return. The claimant is claiming that they received it.

This is despite it being returned tracked and signed for to the return address they supplied.  One thing I did notice today is the claimant has a different name to the original seller.
I have supplied PP with copies of the signature on the delivery document and the address receipt I got from Post Office when sending it and a description of what it is related to and if they wish to see the email trail between me and seller, eBay them in the archives.

I wonder how many times they have pulled this scam before with other buyers? will keep you updated on results and if need name and shame as a warning to other members, are we allowed to that????

I'd write up a post in the scams section about it: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/

Utter bastards though.

What? I thought the PL302, TG320 and TDS210 were good items and that you were happy with them, now I guess you're waiting for the next £1 listing day to flip them again  :palm:

No - they're just in storage until needed. The HP stack stays out only because it looks nice and doesn't take up a whole load of room. The bench is primarily a desk now so I need to keep it tidy where possible.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #66674 on: August 13, 2020, 01:20:16 pm »

In Germany, with that popular magazine c't there's a regular article named "Vorsicht Kunde". They do publicly name and shame (and quite often rather big players), after giving them a chance to give a statement. Often this helps the customer, as companies don't like bad reputation.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf