Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555846 times)

K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #69525 on: September 15, 2020, 09:26:27 pm »
A D83 if I'm not mistaken.  :popcorn:

You are mistaken. But close-ish :)

Still can't believe I got that for 50 quid. I walked away from that hamfest with change from 100 quid (!)
OK, both use a Tek CRT.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69526 on: September 15, 2020, 09:29:30 pm »
Correct. I also never want to see another D83 again after doing that ass transplant on that last one  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69527 on: September 15, 2020, 10:33:53 pm »
Well, I managed to acquire my Keithley 236 and HP 34401A at bargain prices at evilBay. They both work great, one is wrong item from the listing but the seller has refunded me some money and that's fine. The meter looks it could be in calibration, not that I care about sending to a lab unless you think I need ?

With taxes/shipping, HP cost me 388 USD, Keithley at around 480 USD. But I can say I bought 34401A at 300 USD and Keithley 236 for less than 420 USD.  :-DMM

Do I earn a cookie for these ?  :D

Pictures notes :

1st :This meter came damaged from shipping and is wrong listing, so I am sure I could repair the black screw with my 3D printer.
2nd : Keithley 236 is confirmed to be fully working, but albeit out of cal.  :phew:
3nd : Here's my 34401A on the tower of meters.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:36:04 pm by TorinoFermic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69528 on: September 15, 2020, 11:12:09 pm »
I've found one of Saskia's Junior School pictures:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, tautech, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69529 on: September 15, 2020, 11:27:36 pm »

Still can't believe I got that for 50 quid. I walked away from that hamfest with change from 100 quid (!)

Yep, he got that 7603 for a song. Then he found an SA plug-in for it needing some repair. Got that fixed and it worked perfectly. He played with it for maybe a week and then stated he had no room for it and sold it.  :palm:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:29:43 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #69530 on: September 16, 2020, 02:40:58 am »

Yep, he got that 7603 for a song. Then he found an SA plug-in for it needing some repair. Got that fixed and it worked perfectly. He played with it for maybe a week and then stated he had no room for it and sold it.  :palm:

Hes either mastered his TEA or he cant be trusted...  :-DD

For some inexplicable reason, if I see a 7603 I get an urge to buy it. I have done well avoiding most of them, but I still have three at home.  :-//

I have justified it by saying I need one for different functions, so one has an SA, one a curve tracer and one is just a scope. All I need is one with the digitiser plugin, just because...   ::)

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #69531 on: September 16, 2020, 03:45:47 am »
It's not the manufacturers fault. The regulations on exhaust gas and fuel consumption is what forces the car companies to require so much monitoring, realtime engine adjustment and exhaust treatment systems. No car company wants a vehicle that has so much complexity that it keeps having issues. That just makes them look bad, even if they do profit from the repair.

McBryce.

No. Just NO. I lived and worked as a mechanic through the smog-strangled 80s, and while that WAS a low point in automobile manufacture... modern closed-loop EFI engines are just plain hands-down better, in every way. More efficient, more power per kilo, and because they aren't running with a crankcase full of carbon coke blowby from running rich half the time, the engines last longer almost in every application. Oil changes are cleaner at 5 and 10k intervals than a carbureted V8 was at 3K, and all that not-wasted oil and carcinogenic blowby waste is better for the environment too, not JUST the cleaner air.

Say what you want about the cars themselves, but design life for a iron-cylinder-wall V8 was 80K miles before it started to burn oil, and it required carb/ignition tuneups during that usage and the timing chain was running on borrowed time. Nowadays, if we don't get twice that from a 4-banger with nothing but regular oil changes, there's something fucking WRONG. I've seen with my own eyes cars running well with 160,000 on the original spark plugs!

I agree that the car companies have managed to turn OBD into a clusterfuck of software obfuscation... but that does NOT mean that OBD/OBDII was a bad idea. It just means that these bastards are such utterly selfish greedy shitheads they could fuck up a wet dream. |O

mnem
 :horse:

You may have mis-understood the point I was trying to get across. I agree 100% with everything you say, I was just trying to point out that there are reasons why these things have happened and they were not done to make the car unrepairable for the end user nor for any other "evil industry" reasons. They were done to satisfy legal requirements and market requirements. I have worked in the automotive electric/electronic industry for over 27 years, going from schematic design right up to strategic planning, so I have seen the changes first hand. I haven't always agreed with where things were going, neither for the end user, nor for the industry, but I understand why they had to happen anyway.

McBryce.

I totally agree with what both of you are saying.  My own case demonstrates it clearly.  I can compare my first and third trucks.
The first is from 1996, was a half-ton with minimal equipment.  Powerplant was a 4.3l v6 engine with 5-speed manual transmission.  Fuel economy was 27 l/100km on a good day on the drive between Toronto and my parents' place.
My third and current truck is from 2015, is a half-ton with lots of extras including crew cab and long cargo box, 4x4, air conditioning, etc.  Powerplant is a monster overkill 5.7l with 8-speed automatic transmission.  Fuel economy is 12.9 l/100km on the same drive as above, including carrying the family and dog (which is too big to be a miniature horse).
So the technology clearly gives a huge boost in both power and fuel economy.  What is not to like about that?

Now, open the hood of both trucks.  The new truck only has the windshield wiper fill, the engine oil fill and the battery visible.  Everything else is concealed by covers that are secured with a variety of different security bits.  Not only will doing anything void the warranty, but it takes approximately 20 different driver bits just to see anything before being able to plan out the actual work.  Also, switching to winter wheels for half the year causes the dashboard displays to alarm incessantly; the winter rims are still OEM just not matching the serial numbers of the stock summer rims; absolutely frustrating!  The old one was a dream for adding extra lights front and back and a power point in the cargo box.  Clearly marked were two extra terminals on the fuse fox rated for 100A each.  Right to repair and to customize/accessorize is a huge concern of mine.  Warranty on the new one will be over soon, so I might be able to report back next summer just how bad it has gotten.

The good old days of the old truck?  They were good old days!  I took that truck on trips to go skiing, mountaineering, rock climbing, cycling, more cycling and so on.  The truck was not great at all, but the greatness was what we did with our vehicles in our younger days.  The rock climbing trip was awesome, but driving to the crag was where I discovered the truck would jounce on steep gravel roads and the transmission would pop out of gear.  Nowadays, SWMBO gets concerned going 5 km/h over the speed limit (the normal flow of traffic around here is 20 over the limit), since we have a kid in the back seat.  Yes, the driving experience was better in the past, but not at all due to the vehicle. :popcorn:

I have no problems with OBD/2.  It is just a straight-forward message protocol; I really do not think the obfuscation lies therein.  Request a parameter and receive the data; it is pretty simple.  I think OBD ran on J1850 on the old truck, but not sure since I never needed it.  Repair the truck and normal operation would resume.  OBD2 runs just fine as well on CAN-BUS on the new truck.  It does the same thing as the old truck.  However, it is all the other stuff running on the CAN-BUS or on other buses that is obfuscated.  For example, enabling the heated seats is done by some secret command over the CAN-BUS, but the secret code costs $10,000CAD :wtf: from the dealer; no thanks!  Those simple code readers are almost all using a ELM327 (or counterfeit) PIC that reads the OBD codes on the various signal protocols; they work pretty much the same on the old truck as on the new truck.
However, if you go lower-level to CAN-BUS, then things get interesting in the new truck.  Disassemble the air vent just to the left of the centre console sound system control and fish out the CAN-BUS connector hidden inside.  That allows reading and sending things like door locks and so on.  Those code readers do not work here.  The only way is to have full control of your device on the CAN-BUS and then reverse-engineer the messages.  My device for this is a Carloop.io; however, it only does CAN-BUS; I am borrowing from that design to do ISO9141 and KWP and I hope to finish that some day in the future, not sure when... :=\

Getting back on topic, there is a TDS3024B on auction with 15 hours remaining for those in Canada:

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=370290&lcn=518820&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos
It would be an upgrade on my bandwidth, but funds are short since someone crunched the front bumper of the car while parked at the grocery store.  Maybe the resident dwagon would be interested?  Maybe Kosmic as well, but the shipping distance might make it expensive. 
[EDIT: who is our TEA member in the vicinity of Montreal?  All I found searching back was @mnem's Montreal Steak seasoning and now for some reason I am hungry at midnight!]
My past purchases from this source have all been good units, but there is no guarantee of that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:57:07 am by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #69532 on: September 16, 2020, 05:17:17 am »

An excellent buy.
The whole unit seems very clean and tidy - you don't often see a 7000 series scope without any broken knobs.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #69533 on: September 16, 2020, 05:51:09 am »

I have justified it by saying I need one for different functions, so one has an SA, one a curve tracer and one is just a scope. All I need is one with the digitiser plugin, just because...   ::)

And one to fix the others.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69534 on: September 16, 2020, 06:46:34 am »

Let’s extrapolate that out with some further info. The SA was a complete bastard to fix and it scared me owning it as the entire thing is crammed full of unobtanium parts all of which are nearly impossible to get to. Secondly that was pre SWNLMBO eviction and there was clearly a steaming great big issue for her. It wouldn’t be an issue now but I’m not going there again  :-DD

Edit: to be clear. Looking after one 7L12 based SA would require 2x 7603 mainframes, 2x 7B53 timebases, 2x 7L12 analysers, extender cards and balls the size of the moon.

Edit 2: playing "find the shorted tant" to show what a PITA these plugins are:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:09:26 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #69535 on: September 16, 2020, 07:12:47 am »
Top side of the pcb:

Interesting, you got an original agilent 1822-0639 in there. When you leave it connected to your PC, does it become hot? Is it still working ?

I'll test this this evening and will let you know.

I did some testing yesterday (e.g. compiled all the stuff from sourceforge for linux-gpib) and left it connected to my PC over night. Had a look at it this morning and it stays cool. No signs of getting warmer.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69536 on: September 16, 2020, 08:45:44 am »

Let’s extrapolate that out with some further info. The SA was a complete bastard to fix and it scared me owning it as the entire thing is crammed full of unobtanium parts all of which are nearly impossible to get to. Secondly that was pre SWNLMBO eviction and there was clearly a steaming great big issue for her. It wouldn’t be an issue now but I’m not going there again  :-DD

Edit: to be clear. Looking after one 7L12 based SA would require 2x 7603 mainframes, 2x 7B53 timebases, 2x 7L12 analysers, extender cards and balls the size of the moon.

Edit 2: playing "find the shorted tant" to show what a PITA these plugins are:

Good morning. Just busting your nut sack.  :P  ;D It just seems a shame after all that work it had to go. But we understand and we got your back pal.  :-+

In other news. It's freaking chilly in here. About 8 C outside. An early indication of things to come. Shut the living room window and snapped on the heater. The Type 535A.  ;D The Type 1A2 plug-in needs some additional burn-in time anyway so it benefits and I stay warm.  ;D

And speaking of plug-ins for both the Type 535A and 561B. After working on quite a few of them over the past few months I noticed a common pattern with all these vacuum tube units. The more you use them the quicker they warm up and stabilize. I'm sure there's probably several factors affecting this but I think all those years sitting has allowed oxides to collect on the tube cathodes which are being slowly burned off. Not sure but something is definitely going on.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69537 on: September 16, 2020, 09:04:19 am »
Appreciated  :-+

Wish it was cold here. 27oC today  >:(

re plugins warming up, possibly right. I noticed that the old valve radios I used to hack around with as a kid warmed up quicker after being used regularly. I know some of it was burning moisture out of caps, transformers etc, but tubes are mysterious in their short term and long term ageing characteristics.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #69538 on: September 16, 2020, 09:16:21 am »
Same here, 27°C. I hate the summer time, can't await it's end.

@med: I'd change my temperatures here any time to your 8°C  :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69539 on: September 16, 2020, 09:31:57 am »
Same here, 27°C. I hate the summer time, can't await it's end.

@med: I'd change my temperatures here any time to your 8°C  :D
Exactly that, I went to Mildenhall and Lakenheath yesterday expecting to get some good photos, nah, Mildenhall was dead and Lakenheath kicked off rather late and then because of the wind direction, used the wrong runway and thus no real photo opportunities and what put the tin hat on it was the fact that it was a blistering 31oC, so I'd swap your lovely 8oC in a heart beat, I like summer temperatures at all.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69540 on: September 16, 2020, 10:50:55 am »
We certainly had our share of +30 C temps here this Summer which is reflected in my electric bill.  :scared: So this dose of cool is welcome relief. By the end of the month I'll pull the A/C unit out of the window and into the closet until next May.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69541 on: September 16, 2020, 10:59:21 am »
And today finish painting the ceiling in the living room. I thought I had enough paint but ran out just short so off to the home improvement store yesterday afternoon for more. Within the next month or so start on the walls which is going to be so much fun moving everything.  :palm:

My next TEA project has been purchased but hasn't shipped yet. But the seller seems a little sketchy about specific questions I'm asking them and I worry I may get a steaming pile. We'll see and I'll share when I get it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69542 on: September 16, 2020, 10:59:31 am »
...Getting back on topic, there is a TDS3024B on auction with 15 hours remaining for those in Canada:   
https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=370290&lcn=518820&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

It would be an upgrade on my bandwidth, but funds are short since someone crunched the front bumper of the car while parked at the grocery store.  Maybe the resident dwagon would be interested?  Maybe Kosmic as well, but the shipping distance might make it expensive. 
[EDIT: who is our TEA member in the vicinity of Montreal?  All I found searching back was @mnem's Montreal Steak seasoning and now for some reason I am hungry at midnight!]
My past purchases from this source have all been good units, but there is no guarantee of that.

Yeah...  its up over $400 now with 8 hours to go. As Kosmic has said, Tektronix on there usually goes considerably higher than fleaBay and then there's a bunch of fees on top of the sale price.

Closing gavel $$$ will probably be scary... :scared:

mnem
*crawls back into bed*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69543 on: September 16, 2020, 11:12:12 am »
From the IF IT DOESN'T BLEED, IT DOESN'T LEAD Dept...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/us/tallest-mohawk-record-trnd/index.html

Hey, I'll take my wins where I can get 'em... a news story with no body count.  :-+

mnem
*mostly harmless*
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:57:07 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69544 on: September 16, 2020, 01:25:43 pm »
Getting back on topic, there is a TDS3024B on auction with 15 hours remaining for those in Canada:

Don't forget the TDS3024B has 10K of memory.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69545 on: September 16, 2020, 01:30:16 pm »
Top side of the pcb:

Interesting, you got an original agilent 1822-0639 in there. When you leave it connected to your PC, does it become hot? Is it still working ?

I'll test this this evening and will let you know.

I did some testing yesterday (e.g. compiled all the stuff from sourceforge for linux-gpib) and left it connected to my PC over night. Had a look at it this morning and it stays cool. No signs of getting warmer.

Thanks! I suspect it's coming from the TMS9914 chip I have on mine.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69546 on: September 16, 2020, 01:40:38 pm »
...Getting back on topic, there is a TDS3024B on auction with 15 hours remaining for those in Canada:   

Yeah...  its up over $400 now with 8 hours to go. As Kosmic has said, Tektronix on there usually goes considerably higher than fleaBay and then there's a bunch of fees on top of the sale price.

Closing gavel $$$ will probably be scary... :scared:

mnem
*crawls back into bed*

Other than taxes there is no fees. Shipping is normally expensive with them though (They only ship small items). It's better to fetch the item yourself.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69547 on: September 16, 2020, 02:01:36 pm »
Other than taxes there is no fees. Shipping is normally expensive with them though (They only ship small items). It's better to fetch the item yourself.

If you're within reasonable distance, for sure.  I did that with a VNA, a signal generator, and a counter all with the 6 GHZ range extender option a couple of years ago and made a (long) day trip to Ottawa out of it with a nice return drive on Highway 7.

I just took a browse through the auction listings and it looks like that scope is the only piece of test equipment in Justin Trudeau's garage sale right now so I don't anticipate another road trip to Ottawa unless that changes.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69548 on: September 16, 2020, 02:22:55 pm »

If you're within reasonable distance, for sure.  I did that with a VNA, a signal generator, and a counter all with the 6 GHZ range extender option a couple of years ago and made a (long) day trip to Ottawa out of it with a nice return drive on Highway 7.

I just took a browse through the auction listings and it looks like that scope is the only piece of test equipment in Justin Trudeau's garage sale right now so I don't anticipate another road trip to Ottawa unless that changes.

Yeah... it's a good 8 hours round trip to me... while a younger me would gladly go just for the experience, it'd have to be a total steal to make me not think twice about cost of gas vs shipping, etc.

I could have sworn I saw all sorts of disclaimers re: brokerage fees, handling, etc the last time I actually placed a bid... I was actually relieved someone else bought the tables I was bidding on.  :-//

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69549 on: September 16, 2020, 02:25:47 pm »

I'm 99% positive this is exactly what happened; it took 2 days to get to me once sent. That is why I was trying to call eBay Customer Support; a problem like this would take but a jiffy with someone on the phone as their records should show I paid for eBay GSP but didn't get it. They may or may not even involve the seller in a dispute process as a result.

But since January, every coprolite entity in the world has been taking advantage of the COVID fustercluck to eviscerate customer service; I guess I should not be surprised at this development. :palm:

Since fleaBay is playing absentee landlord here, I guess I'm going to have to go to PayPal and climb their support structure; they probably still have a direct line to fleaBay support. Hopefully PP still has people on the phones.

mnem

"This is PayPal support, how may I help you?"....skip....pop
"This is PayPal support, how may I help you?"....skip....pop
"This is PayPal support, how may I help you?"....skip....pop...   
:P :P :-DD
I decided to try the     first; I've messaged AllTest a scan of the FEDEX invoice, explained politely that I already paid for eBay GSP which includes all duty and tariffs, and and asked him to make it right.   We'll see what happens next.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Welp, some progress; not sure if it's positive.

First off, fleaBay has changed the way they deal with phone support, but evidently they do still have it. You have to actually bother to go through their maze of customer support articles (I checked out one about eBay Global Shipping), and at the bottom you will find a link to "Call Me" at the number registered to your account.

I guess this is to weed out the wingnuts & douchebags who can't read (or can't be bothered to read) a short article and just want to call and bitch eBay out for whatever reason, whether real or imagined. I suspect it does at least cut down on the number of drunks & stoners they have to fend off.   :P

Anyhoo... I contacted the seller, and after a couple days of conversation, he tells me it was due to me me sending a request for total and asking if there was any way he could offer a repeat customer discount. He claims that somehow this automagically booted me off the eBay GST program.  ::)

When I checked out through my dashboard, the eBay checkout specifically stated I was paying for eBay GSP, and that there would be no further charges for duty, HST, etc. It even gave me a breakdown of shipping, duty and local sales tax that I was paying for. |O

So... I went through eBay's Support pages, clicked on the link, and in approx 12 minutes, I received a call back from a woman with a thick Paki accent, who confirmed my identity and took my information, and then waited patiently while I explained what had happened, and that I had no idea how to proceed since it was now more than a month after the transaction concluded.

She explained that I would receive an eMail from them shortly, and that they would do an investigation and let me know their determination.

Not sure how I feel about this in general; I really don't have time for this petty BS right now. But at least I did SOMETHING to resolve it, so it'll stop niggling at me.  :-//

mnem
*toddles off to do some schoolwork with the daughter unit*
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:29:35 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf