Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14564061 times)

Gertjan, wkb, Pilatus and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70525 on: September 27, 2020, 05:25:02 pm »
Testing some of the OCXO TCXO OCVCXO etc... stuff from Ali....
Tested and found the the connections, how much power the draw, on start-up on idle.. temp...
And the specs for you in PDF...

CTi OSC5A2B02
CTi OC5SC25
Vectron C4550A1-0213
Trimble 34310-T

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, FransW

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70526 on: September 27, 2020, 05:47:24 pm »
Heads up for the USAians: Relatively cheap Keithley branded tri-lug Triax leads: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133530762264

Standard three lug Triax to ultra miniature Triax, 6 foot, £39.25 each in proper money.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70527 on: September 27, 2020, 05:48:39 pm »
Enjoying my PCBGrip this weekend.
It is immensely cool.
So far the only Kickstarter that made sense for me.

That actually looks quite useful.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70528 on: September 27, 2020, 05:57:55 pm »

mnem
 :popcorn:
Look like output impedance is fix at 50 \$\Omega\$. On the Rigol you can set that manually and it will automatically adjust amplitude based on selected output impedance. I often use that feature.

Mmmhmmm... that's not a feature available on every Sig gen tho. I wonder if that tradeoff was necessary to get the improved output level linearity? :-//

@tautech - what do you have that's comparable, and what gotchas do you know about on this unit?

EDIT: Manual is here: http://68.168.132.244/PSG9080_EN_manual.pdf

mnem

who says linearity is better on the Juntek than Rigol ? you found a comparison somewhere ?

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70529 on: September 27, 2020, 06:05:12 pm »
Yeah, not since they showed up on Dave's bench; typical now is $350-400. Now on CLEARANCE for $300 +S/H at TEquip. From the video this one appears to have much more linear output re: voltage vs frequency. Rigol still has yet to address this with FW even in the more expensive models, to my knowledge. :popcorn: Plus this one is rated 300MS/s vs 125MS/s for the Rigol.

mnem
 :-/O

PSG9080 at 163$ US on Ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001507207074.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.20bc53b9tnKOqc&algo_pvid=624891f7-d70e-4a59-8347-265f64056dc6&algo_expid=624891f7-d70e-4a59-8347-265f64056dc6-0&btsid=0bb0624616012220981132182e5bf8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I guess it's not a bad price.

Look like output impedance is fix at 50 \$\Omega\$. On the Rigol you can set that manually and it will automatically adjust amplitude based on selected output impedance. I often use that feature.

Also the ground on the output connectors is floating, not referenced to ground.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70530 on: September 27, 2020, 06:15:47 pm »
Don’t do the junktek. It’s a piece of trash. Check the tear downs. I know it’s slightly more expensive but the ass end Rigol and Siglent units are better value for money.

To clarify the impedance and amplitude thing it’s pretty lame implementation usually. There is no ALC feedback or anything like that which you’d expect in a decent signal generator. Basically source is 50 ohms. Into a high Z load that’s insignificant so amplitude is set against a peak reading voltmeter for a bunch of frequencies and the cal curve is build out if that to control the amplitude. 50 ohms, well you just half the amplitude from the cal curve. Job done! 50 ohms source and load is a 50% voltage divider. Then if you know the load impedance you can calibrate it in dBm doing a simple calculation.

Really I want a nice signal generator that has a wide band source, ALC and then a stepped attenuator rather than this arrangement but it’ll do for now. (Siglent that is). I might build one. They aren’t that difficult to put together.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 06:26:42 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic, 0culus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #70531 on: September 27, 2020, 06:16:00 pm »
Eish that's a nasty job. Hope the switch is repairable!

I hope so. The bushing that holds the switch decks to the front panel has been pushed off the deck. It's a press fit originally, and if the axles are getting a beating from the front this might happen. If I can't press it together, I think I'll go for gluing it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70532 on: September 27, 2020, 06:16:57 pm »
That hurts to look at  :(

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70533 on: September 27, 2020, 06:20:06 pm »
Don’t do the junktek. It’s a piece of trash. Check the tear downs. I know it’s slightly more expensive but the ass end Rigol and Siglent units are better value for money.

+1

I think the same.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #70534 on: September 27, 2020, 06:59:50 pm »
The first thing I noticed in Scott's (Defpom) teardown was the SMPS powering it.  :o
Really, who wants one of those powering your signal source ?  :scared:

To clarify the impedance and amplitude thing it’s pretty lame implementation usually. There is no ALC feedback or anything like that which you’d expect in a decent signal generator. Basically source is 50 ohms. Into a high Z load that’s insignificant so amplitude is set against a peak reading voltmeter for a bunch of frequencies and the cal curve is build out if that to control the amplitude. 50 ohms, well you just half the amplitude from the cal curve. Job done! 50 ohms source and load is a 50% voltage divider. Then if you know the load impedance you can calibrate it in dBm doing a simple calculation.
When the output is set to 50 ohms impedance dBm units can be selected in Siglent AWG's.
Enter the value required and the unit selection pops up, select dBm !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70535 on: September 27, 2020, 07:01:36 pm »
Yeah aware of that. The unit does the calculation for you  :-+

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #70536 on: September 27, 2020, 07:13:43 pm »
just returned from a haul and missed out on a Canon Extender 2x Mark 3.
Bloody fucking hell.

On the plus side:
2 Gossen Metra Hit 28S for 100 Pesos apiece
1 Beckman Industrial SI-9000 differential probe 25MHz 50 Pesos
1 Extech 382222 Lab Power supply 10 Pesos
12 boxes with content (unsorted and uncataloged) 60 Pesos.

If I saw correctly there is a shitload of coils and inductors (for SMPS), some filter capacitors, lots of SMD components, MOSFETs, ... in those boxes.

Will have to have a closer look.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 07:44:13 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #70537 on: September 27, 2020, 07:44:44 pm »

On the plus side:

Gossen fan here. Seriously envious! That's borderline jammy git.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70538 on: September 27, 2020, 07:45:38 pm »
btw why do you need a bench DMM if your handheld already does 5.3/4 digits ....

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70539 on: September 27, 2020, 07:49:07 pm »

On the plus side:

Gossen fan here. Seriously envious! That's borderline jammy git.

Sorry, one of them is already going to a forum member who asked to get one for him and pointed me towards the seller. Turns out that he was the lead developer auf Braun who back in the 80s did some seriously good hifi stuff.
He's 80 and slowly retiring and his daughter thought she should get rid of his stuff.

So I filled my Skoda with his drawer thingies that were full of new parts.
Those are the real grabs. But, I missed out on that Canon converter and that seriously annoys me.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #70540 on: September 27, 2020, 07:51:28 pm »

www.youtube.com/b3yFxg2LwXI

mnem

Mmmhmmm... that's not a feature available on every Sig gen tho. I wonder if that tradeoff was necessary to get the improved output level linearity? :-//

@tautech - what do you have that's comparable, and what gotchas do you know about on this unit?

mnem

who says linearity is better on the Juntek than Rigol ? you found a comparison somewhere ?

To get the BW this one advertises on the bottom-of-the-line Rigols and Siglents, you have to hack them. Then output linearity goes totally out to lunch when you get up in those frequencies; its a constant topic of conversation in the hack/mod threads. Of course, since they aren't meant to operate up there, not the MFR's fault.

The first thing I noticed in Scott's (Defpom) teardown was the SMPS powering it.  :o
Really, who wants one of those powering your signal source ?  :scared:

When the output is set to 50 ohms impedance dBm units can be selected in Siglent AWG's.
Enter the value required and the unit selection pops up, select dBm !

@tautech - Oh, come on... SMPS are in everything. I suppose I should chunk all my 2465s because of that too.  :palm:   Now if it's a bad implementation, sure. But that's true of every bit of test gear ever made.

@bd - Thanks, that's the kind of insight I was looking for. I DID look at the teardowns. This looked like a lot of bang/buck; I was asking for constructive response, not just "It's junk". ;) I expect it to be cheaply made; it's like the next generation of the FeelTech ARB for duck's sake. I'm not seeing anything here that I didn't see there, and the FeelTech costs only a few $$ less for much lower resolution and again, really horrible output level linearity. :o

Bottom line is I'm not going to spend $300-400 on a SG anytime soon. I expected it to be slightly better than the FeelTech; which really is all I need for my ESC tinkery. I figured a few bux more for a little better wasn't too bad.

For better absolute quality like bd139 was saying, I can get a WaveTek 145 for $50 from AllTest. :-//

mnem
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 07:55:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70541 on: September 27, 2020, 07:53:04 pm »
@mansaxel fyi the BD232 adapter for the metra hit was included in the haul.
(for each of the DMMs ...)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70542 on: September 27, 2020, 08:09:04 pm »
@tautech - Oh, come on... SMPS are in everything. I suppose I should chunk all my 2465s because of that too.  :palm:   Now if it's a bad implementation, sure. But that's true of every bit of test gear ever made.

mnem
This ^^^ and how do we know if it's good or not ?  :-//
Detailed analysis is required .....do you wanna do it ?

Another Yaigol thread in the making ?  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #70543 on: September 27, 2020, 08:12:12 pm »
@mansaxel fyi the BD232 adapter for the metra hit was included in the haul.
(for each of the DMMs ...)

That is downright taunting! Keep at it!  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70544 on: September 27, 2020, 08:24:55 pm »

mnem

Actually it's fairly easy to evaluate it. The main SMPS is not bipolar and kicks out 5 volts. There are at least two boost converters on the board to generate the required voltage rails for the output amplifiers. That's almost guaranteed to raise the noise floor of this pretty high.

The other vendors, Rigol and Siglent, use a primary SMPS to generate multiple rails then have quite hefty filtering and linear regulation for the rails.

It's a box of cut corners that's what it is.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70545 on: September 27, 2020, 08:25:53 pm »

www.youtube.com/b3yFxg2LwXI

mnem

mnem

To get the BW this one advertises on the bottom-of-the-line Rigols and Siglents, you have to hack them. Then output linearity goes totally out to lunch when you get up in those frequencies; its a constant topic of conversation in the hack/mod threads. Of course, since they aren't meant to operate up there, not the MFR's fault.

Just a small calibration problem ;)

The hardware in the DG811 and DG992 is exactly the same.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70546 on: September 27, 2020, 08:31:06 pm »
It is, and the siglent. The cal instructions for the siglent give that away.  The 33120A does the same.

Edit: dang seen a reasonably priced decent condition HP 48G on ebay. Thinking about it. It's not a GX but it'll do  :-DD

Edit 2: chickened out. Need more RAM.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:42:57 pm by bd139 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70547 on: September 27, 2020, 09:50:53 pm »

mnem

Actually it's fairly easy to evaluate it. The main SMPS is not bipolar and kicks out 5 volts. There are at least two boost converters on the board to generate the required voltage rails for the output amplifiers. That's almost guaranteed to raise the noise floor of this pretty high.

The other vendors, Rigol and Siglent, use a primary SMPS to generate multiple rails then have quite hefty filtering and linear regulation for the rails.

It's a box of cut corners that's what it is.
Yeah well they haven't even considered the RF that a SMPS produces can be shielded from the SG circuitry by a metal divider or even protect the lab from SMPS RF by installing the whole thing in a metal enclosure.
OK they made the shipping cheaper by omitting proper shielding but really is that of value for a signal source ?  :-//

Anyways, it should make a fine noise source for the bench !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70548 on: September 27, 2020, 09:53:25 pm »
I think in the Junktek they're going on the fact that the box is mostly empty and you can put the SMPS miles away from the main board.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70549 on: September 27, 2020, 10:23:21 pm »

@bd - Thanks, that's the kind of insight I was looking for. I DID look at the teardowns. This looked like a lot of bang/buck; I was asking for constructive response, not just "It's junk". ;) I expect it to be cheaply made; it's like the next generation of the FeelTech ARB for duck's sake. I'm not seeing anything here that I didn't see there, and the FeelTech costs only a few $$ less for much lower resolution and again, really horrible output level linearity. :o

Bottom line is I'm not going to spend $300-400 on a SG anytime soon. I expected it to be slightly better than the FeelTech; which really is all I need for my ESC tinkery. I figured a few bux more for a little better wasn't too bad.

For better absolute quality like bd139 was saying, I can get a WaveTek 145 for $50 from AllTest. :-//

mnem
Exactly that, if you're serious stuff then something like a Siglent etc is justified, but for the sort of tinkering most hobbyists do, I see nothing wrong with that JunTek, or indeed the Feeltech units, cheap and cheerful, just like the TinySA etc. I have a DSO138 2.4" scope, which for rough and ready signal tracing in audio gear is perfectly OK and helped me on many occasions. Yes I have far better scopes at my disposal, but the DSO138 is just so quick to power up and connect to, it is often used in preference to show the area of concern on amplifiers for example.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf