Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14782783 times)

PA0PBZ, ch_scr, Jambalaya, marcumr and 162 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70675 on: September 29, 2020, 03:26:49 am »
   "The museum no longer have a use for it...?!?" Tesla coils have no need to be needed... they simply need to BE. >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:

Not sure where it came from exactly ... in the sale account, the "-IC-" stands for Industry Canada. That is the department that runs the HAM exams and spectrum management, among other things.
Edit:  Imagine that in your living room (imagine me being single again very quickly)  >:D

LOL... why do I get the feeling you're still weighing the options...?  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline dan46n2

• Contributor
« Reply #70676 on: September 29, 2020, 03:27:24 am »
I have a 6.5 Fluke DMM but I really want, not need, a Keithley DMM6500.  Why?  Why do I want it so much  :-//  The struggle  :scared:

The Myriad Maxims to Maximally Master TEAcquisition

1. Test equipment (TE) will expand to fill all space available. And then some.
2. It's never "just a blown fuse."
3. That bodge will come back to bite you in the ass.
4. The availability of service documentation varies inversely with your current level of diagnostic frustration.
5. There's always more to fix than you first think.
6. Thou shalt use a probe prophylactic.
7. There is no substitute for exhaustive burn-in testing.
8. The TE you have on hand is never the TE you need to fix the TE you want.
9. Capacitors are Murphy's footsoldiers.
10. The adhesive used to apply a label is always stronger than the label itself.
11. Masochism is endemic, perhaps even mandatory.
12. To get the best deals, you have to be prepared to walk away.
43. Never buy the cheapest chinesium, unless it is for explosion investigation purposes.
99. Want > Have > Need

Welcome to the forums!

Ok, I no longer have this problem... I ordered it!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #70677 on: September 29, 2020, 05:42:15 am »

Edit:  Imagine that in your living room (imagine me being single again very quickly)  >:D

I believe my wife would approve. Not of you being single, but me getting that into the living room.

The 32 HE 19" frame holding the stereo and assorted sundries, including the Ethernet switch for the bottom floor did get an approving "Looks better than I thought it would"

:-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #70678 on: September 29, 2020, 06:15:57 am »
   "The museum no longer have a use for it...?!?" Tesla coils have no need to be needed... they simply need to BE. >:D

mnem

Not sure where it came from exactly ... in the sale account, the "-IC-" stands for Industry Canada. That is the department that runs the HAM exams and spectrum management, among other things.

mnem

How much is shipping from Canada ?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70679 on: September 29, 2020, 06:47:49 am »
   Got passengers at the car back seat.  :P    PS : Close up of the busted trigger knob.

Yup; as I suspected, just the plastic sleeve busted/missing. Provided the control's not siezed up should still be usable that way, or can easily make a new sleeve out of a bit of tubing and epoxy. Did such a patch on a similar one ages ago. ;)

Tried turning the knurled metal knob, its still very smooth, no rattling nor loose, I guess its still ok. That plastic sleeve probably became brittle overtime and disintegrated.

I'm assuming the fellow "Made you a offah you could nahh reef-yooze"...?  :-DD

Yeah  :palm: , I have weak heart, as the 2215 is still so cosmetically new & pristine, even its dead.  :-[

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70680 on: September 29, 2020, 06:50:33 am »
Ugh dead 2215. Enjoy that. Power supply on them are dicks. Same as 2235.

Enjoy my explosive thread here  :-DD https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2235-repair-thread/

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #70681 on: September 29, 2020, 07:01:26 am »
   Got passengers at the car back seat.  :P    PS : Close up of the busted trigger knob.

Yup; as I suspected, just the plastic sleeve busted/missing. Provided the control's not siezed up should still be usable that way, or can easily make a new sleeve out of a bit of tubing and epoxy. Did such a patch on a similar one ages ago. ;)

Tried turning the knurled metal knob, its still very smooth, no rattling nor loose, I guess its still ok. That plastic sleeve probably became brittle overtime and disintegrated.

Yeah  :palm: , I have weak heart, as the 2215 is still so cosmetically new & pristine, even its dead.  :-[
Sphere probably has the bits you need:
https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tekparts.html
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70682 on: September 29, 2020, 07:03:49 am »
Ugh dead 2215. Enjoy that. Power supply on them are dicks. Same as 2235.

Enjoy my explosive thread here  :-DD https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2235-repair-thread/

Yeah, already bookmarked.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70683 on: September 29, 2020, 07:07:37 am »

Thanks, I'm aware of that site. Still waiting for med, as he offered one, and probably he still searching for it.  :P

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #70684 on: September 29, 2020, 07:24:27 am »
Greetings! Wrapping up quarterly planning at work... I'll be back! ::)

Welcome back Mr. Catch-up, how's life? All well, I hope?  :D

Yes, generally going fine. Crazy busy at work, but things will calm down pretty soon. Got my flu shot, too, so I'm ready for winter.

How have you been, Mounty? Looks like the TEA house hasn't gone up in flames. ;D

Fine, so far. :) Increased my TEA collection a bit and posted here the pictures (which reminds me that I still have to do a teardown of the R&S ADS).

Regarding the flames: I'd prefer to leave this in the very competent hands of med and bd with the support of ceefour Saskia.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #70685 on: September 29, 2020, 07:34:04 am »
This is paypal, not fleabay.

All fill-in-the-address-from-the-postcode web forms come up with
 123, My Road
 My Town of 6500 People
 Bristol
 BS99 9AY
but not paypal.

The paypal droids thanked me effusively for uploading screenshots of the Royal Mail postcode finder website and their website without the "Bristol" option.

Then they asked me to try the postcode without a space (as if that will magically create a new option in the drop-down "counties" box), and use the website not the app. Grrr.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #70686 on: September 29, 2020, 07:43:33 am »

mnem

mnem

How much is shipping from Canada ?

For this http://onetesla.com/products/oneteslats.html it is something between 72 - 102 US$ from the US. I'd expect it more expensive from Canada and the much bigger size.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70687 on: September 29, 2020, 08:23:03 am »

Thanks, I'm aware of that site. Still waiting for med, as he offered one, and probably he still searching for it.  :P

OK, I went through my stash and unfortunately I don't have an exact replacement but I do have something that will fit. This knob is off a 485 Trigger Level. It is shorter and smaller in diameter but will fit on the 465B shaft. And since it's shorter it will allow for the larger Trigger +/- Slope knob to be installed. It will look a little weird and a little awkward to use but you could swap the A and B knobs since the B is used less often. I thought I had exact replacements but then I remembered that I gave them away to someone on the Tek Facebook group who had broken knobs. So if you want it for the cost of shipping PM me.

In looking at the pix of the 465B I am concerned about how badly oxidized the Coupling and Source switches are. They are almost white and look like they could fall apart at any time. None of my 400 series scopes are that bad. They show some oxidation but nothing that approaches what I see with yours. I have to wonder under what environment that scope was stored in. High heat comes to mind but who knows. Hopefully they will be OK. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #70688 on: September 29, 2020, 10:11:01 am »
Not TE but a general question...
If i put this on my kitchen ceiling will it automaticly defrost my checken?    :-DD

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70689 on: September 29, 2020, 11:24:19 am »
hmmmmm.  my little chinesium rf amplifier was actually here in gburg yesterday.  and then it went off traveling in a circle again.  my 902 Mhz transverter can not be completed without it.   shit.  no idea why they keep sending it to wrightsville......30 miles east of here.

Tracking History

September 29, 2020, 1:13 am
Processing Exception
HARRISBURG PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
The Postal Service has identified a problem with the processing of this item at 1:13 am on September 29, 2020 in HARRISBURG PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER. The local facility has been alerted and is taking steps to correct the problem.

September 29, 2020, 1:03 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

September 28, 2020, 7:50 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
WRIGHTSVILLE, PA 17368

September 28, 2020, 7:23 am
Arrived at Post Office
WRIGHTSVILLE, PA 17368

September 28, 2020, 4:22 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
GETTYSBURG, PA 17325

September 28, 2020, 3:10 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility

September 27, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

September 26, 2020, 8:43 pm

September 26, 2020, 8:33 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
WRIGHTSVILLE, PA 17368

September 25, 2020, 1:52 am

September 23, 2020, 6:43 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
CITY OF INDUSTRY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

September 23, 2020, 5:28 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
ROWLAND HEIGHTS, CA 91748

September 22, 2020, 11:43 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

September 22, 2020, 8:03 pm
Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
Shipping Partner:  WINIT
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70690 on: September 29, 2020, 11:31:31 am »
In looking at the pix of the 465B I am concerned about how badly oxidized the Coupling and Source switches are. They are almost white and look like they could fall apart at any time. None of my 400 series scopes are that bad. They show some oxidation but nothing that approaches what I see with yours. I have to wonder under what environment that scope was stored in. High heat comes to mind but who knows. Hopefully they will be OK.

Yes, I'm aware of it, infact the 1st time I touched it, I did slide up & down those switches, AND then put mildly forced left & right too >:D , to see whether it will collapsed or cracked by just that small pressure, but luckily they survived and quite firm.

Tek stuffs in where I live is harder to get than Kryptonite.   :-\

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70691 on: September 29, 2020, 12:29:08 pm »
Wolfgang:
All this rotten Tek465 stuff is part of a conspiracy to prevent otherwise productive engineers from doing something useful.
Who is behind that ? The pope ? The wise men of Zion ? Monty Python and the holy grail ? Corona ? And who would ever use all these scopes that are now repaired but still hopelessly obsolete ?

Clueless ...

It's probable Alzheimer
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70692 on: September 29, 2020, 12:43:44 pm »
A quick review of tinySA: It's awesome. Just buy one. There you go  :-DD. Oh and get a NanoVNA if you don't have one.

And now for why.

Well I wanted to measure transmitter output on my CW telemetry beacon (and some other less legal stuff :-DD). That kicks out more watts than tinySA will handle without it turning into ash. In steps Wes W7ZOI with article [1] on a 40dB power tap. This can be used with a spectrum analyser like the tinySA as well.

So quick lunch time build. I didn't do a great job of this. Everything was lying around. The enclosure was destined for my now 100% abandoned spectrum analyser build, the BNC connectors were from the HP 1707B I tore down and the rest was stock parts. Total cost £0.

Series resistors are 3x 820 ohms 1% 0.25W. Other one is 51 ohms 1% 0.25W. This will handle 20W or so of input power. Just use bigger resistors if you need more! The left/right ports are interchangeable IN/OUT and the bottom one is the 40dB down tap.

First I calibrated the NanoVNA then inserted it between IN/OUT and terminated TAP. Reasonable performance. Within 1dB up to 160MHz:

Then I checked the tap attenuation by terminating OUT and inserting NanoVNA between IN/TAP. Also reasonable performance. The higher frequency performance can be improved on. I will investigate that soon and see if it's possible to compensate it out as per the original article but I mostly care about HF performance for now which is adequate.

Then finally connected it up properly, so source to IN, dummy load on OUT and then the tinySA on the TAP port. All good  :-+

All this cheap RF hardware is amazing!

Aaaaaand back to arguing with kubernetes now :(

[1] http://on4khg.be/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Simple-RF-Power-measurement-W7ZOI-W7PUA.pdf
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:47:05 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, URI, nixiefreqq, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70693 on: September 29, 2020, 01:02:37 pm »

mnem

Not sure where it came from exactly ... in the sale account, the "-IC-" stands for Industry Canada.
That is the department that runs the HAM exams and spectrum management, among other things.

"Industry Canada" is also the front for all the canadian military R&D done by the gouvernement. (Don't ask why I know that)

Maybe they were trying to mount huge tesla coil on the 3 tanks we own. That would put on a show.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:15:54 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70694 on: September 29, 2020, 01:04:01 pm »

I believe my wife would approve. Not of you being single, but me getting that into the living room.

The 32 HE 19" frame holding the stereo and assorted sundries, including the Ethernet switch for the bottom floor did get an approving "Looks better than I thought it would"

You know you're pushing your luck with repeatedly telling all these men how actively supportive of your TEA your wife is. All you've got to do now is tell all the guys that she looks like the archetypical leggy blonde 60s Swedish Au-Pair and I feel some of this mob may organize a hit on you out of pure jealousy.

e.g. Britt Ekland

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #70695 on: September 29, 2020, 01:09:29 pm »
FINALLY!  Caught up with this thread after a couple of days absence.

Of all the topics I felt the urge to offer a response, I can only remember this one in regards to the Eastenders.....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70696 on: September 29, 2020, 01:19:03 pm »
Wolfgang:
All this rotten Tek465 stuff is part of a conspiracy to prevent otherwise productive engineers from doing something useful.
Who is behind that ? The pope ? The wise men of Zion ? Monty Python and the holy grail ? Corona ? And who would ever use all these scopes that are now repaired but still hopelessly obsolete ?

Clueless ...

It's probable Alzheimer

It's me.  :-+ :-DD And no, I don't have Alzheimers....or do I? Can't remember.  :P ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70697 on: September 29, 2020, 01:20:42 pm »

You know you're pushing your luck with repeatedly telling all these men how actively supportive of your TEA your wife is. All you've got to do now is tell all the guys that she looks like the archetypical leggy blonde 60s Swedish Au-Pair and I feel some of this mob may organize a hit on you out of pure jealousy.

e.g. Britt Ekland

She does nothing for me other than a desire to buy her double cheeseburger with large fries.  >:D ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70698 on: September 29, 2020, 01:24:47 pm »

My spidey sense was on the mark.  :-+ BravoV is located in a tropical country right on the Equator. I'll respect his privacy and not reveal his exact location unless he chooses to do so.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, mnementh, bd139

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #70699 on: September 29, 2020, 01:32:01 pm »
Wolfgang:

Clueless ...

It's probable Alzheimer

Maybe thats the simple truth. These people repair the same rotten Tek every day ...  8) >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf