Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551594 times)

ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70700 on: September 29, 2020, 01:33:16 pm »
Wolfgang:
All this rotten Tek465 stuff is part of a conspiracy to prevent otherwise productive engineers from doing something useful.
Who is behind that ? The pope ? The wise men of Zion ? Monty Python and the holy grail ? Corona ? And who would ever use all these scopes that are now repaired but still hopelessly obsolete ?

Clueless ...

It's probable Alzheimer

Maybe thats the simple truth. These people repair the same rotten Tek every day ...  8) >:D

What a joy, discovering a Tek scope every day like it was the first time.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, FransW

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70701 on: September 29, 2020, 01:36:47 pm »
Wolfgang:
All this rotten Tek465 stuff is part of a conspiracy to prevent otherwise productive engineers from doing something useful.
Who is behind that ? The pope ? The wise men of Zion ? Monty Python and the holy grail ? Corona ? And who would ever use all these scopes that are now repaired but still hopelessly obsolete ?

Clueless ...

It's probable Alzheimer

Maybe thats the simple truth. These people repair the same rotten Tek every day ...  8) >:D

My Type 310A, Type 535A, and 7904 would beg to differ.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #70702 on: September 29, 2020, 01:36:51 pm »
...In looking at the pix of the 465B I am concerned about how badly oxidized the Coupling and Source switches are. They are almost white and look like they could fall apart at any time. None of my 400 series scopes are that bad. They show some oxidation but nothing that approaches what I see with yours. I have to wonder under what environment that scope was stored in. High heat comes to mind but who knows. Hopefully they will be OK.

Ohh jeez.... you're right. Lookit the rust on that grub screw. Def spent a fair amount of time in high-humidity environment; I hope it's not full of bugs and powdery aluminum pustules inside.

mnem
 :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70703 on: September 29, 2020, 02:00:46 pm »

Not TE but a general question...   If i put this on my kitchen ceiling will it automaticly defrost my checken?    :-DD   

I'd be a lot more worried about this sort of scenario...  :o

mnem
Just think of your little swimmers!!! :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70704 on: September 29, 2020, 02:13:00 pm »

Clueless ...
It's probably Alzheimer's...
It's me.  :-+ :-DD And no, I don't have Alzheimers....or do I? Can't remember.  :P ;D

Who the hell are you...? And what are you doing inside my little TV...?    :o

mnem

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70705 on: September 29, 2020, 02:21:50 pm »
...In looking at the pix of the 465B I am concerned about how badly oxidized the Coupling and Source switches are. They are almost white and look like they could fall apart at any time. None of my 400 series scopes are that bad. They show some oxidation but nothing that approaches what I see with yours. I have to wonder under what environment that scope was stored in. High heat comes to mind but who knows. Hopefully they will be OK.

Ohh jeez.... you're right. Lookit the rust on that grub screw. Def spent a fair amount of time in high-humidity environment; I hope it's not full of bugs and powdery aluminum pustules inside.

mnem

Yeah, the air is humid, just pay attention to the nut color for the U800 chip at my 2465B.  :(

.. or one of the fastening nut that is holding the hybrid chip.  :(

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70706 on: September 29, 2020, 02:34:39 pm »

Clueless ...

Obvious failure to grok the core principles of TEA set aside, I object to his rude language more than anything; phrases like "productive engineers" and "doing something useful" I find particularly offensive... :-DD

mnem
"...Wondering where I am, I'm lost without you.

Being apart ain't easy on this love affair;
Two strangers learn to fall in love again.

I get the joy of rediscovering you;
Oh, Tek, you stand by me.

I'm for-eh-eh-ever yours... Faithfully."
    :o
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:45:45 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70707 on: September 29, 2020, 02:44:12 pm »

mnem
Yeah, the air is humid, just pay attention to the nut color for the U800 chip at my 2465B.  :(      ...or one of the fastening nut that is holding the hybrid chip.  :(   

I hear you.

Living up here in the Great White North, I'm getting a much better understanding of what it's like in the rest of world where availability of proper TEA candidates is low. You can't pick & choose like you can in the Consumer States of America; you have to get used to the idea of "Ya takes what ya kin git."  :palm:

Carry on, my friend. I'm sure that together we can get your new babies back in service.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: BravoV

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70708 on: September 29, 2020, 02:56:25 pm »

In looking at the pix of the 465B I am concerned about how badly oxidized the Coupling and Source switches are. They are almost white and look like they could fall apart at any time. None of my 400 series scopes are that bad. They show some oxidation but nothing that approaches what I see with yours. I have to wonder under what environment that scope was stored in. High heat comes to mind but who knows. Hopefully they will be OK.

My spidey sense was on the mark.  :-+ BravoV is located in a tropical country right on the Equator. I'll respect his privacy and not reveal his exact location unless he chooses to do so.
Clever clogs, I was thinking along the lines of it being damage done by excessive ultraviolet exposure, which I suppose also fits in with BravoV's location pretty nicely. Those knobs have a certain chalky texture appearance which I have seen only on things that are always exposed to the suns rays.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70709 on: September 29, 2020, 03:02:45 pm »
   "The museum no longer have a use for it...?!?" Tesla coils have no need to be needed... they simply need to BE. >:D

mnem

Not sure where it came from exactly ... in the sale account, the "-IC-" stands for Industry Canada. That is the department that runs the HAM exams and spectrum management, among other things.
Edit:  Imagine that in your living room (imagine me being single again very quickly)  >:D

LOL... why do I get the feeling you're still weighing the options...?  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
How much is shipping from Canada ?

Just in case you're serious (we never know with you...:-DD), sadly it does appear they're offering this only WHERE-IS AS-IS.

You would need to make arrangements with one of us crazy Canucks to pick up and ship for you.  >:D

In all honesty, between the current CAD$1750/US$1335 pricetag and whatever frightful shipping to Germany, I'd think you would have to be able to assemble something yourself from local materiel more cost-effectively...?

mnem
tzzt.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70710 on: September 29, 2020, 03:10:31 pm »

mnem
Yeah, the air is humid, just pay attention to the nut color for the U800 chip at my 2465B.  :(      ...or one of the fastening nut that is holding the hybrid chip.  :(   

I hear you.

Living up here in the Great White North, I'm getting a much better understanding of what it's like in the rest of world where availability of proper TEA candidates is low. You can't pick & choose like you can in the Consumer States of America; you have to get used to the idea of "Ya takes what ya kin git."  :palm:

Carry on, my friend. I'm sure that together we can get your new babies back in service.  :-+

mnem

Thanks, at my circumstances, don't laugh, among local TEA friends here, I'm well known as super hoarder  :palm:, as I love to salvage those screws & nuts from carcasses of US made T&M equipments, like those Tek loved to use Torx screws. These things will become really handy when needed as my above examples.

As I live in metric country, some of those nuts & screws prolly manufactured in imperial system, and the local substitute sometimes just don't fit nicely, those thingy are rare as hen's teeth here.  :'(

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #70711 on: September 29, 2020, 03:31:12 pm »

Clueless ...

Obvious failure to grok the core principles of TEA set aside, I object to his rude language more than anything; phrases like "productive engineers" and "doing something useful" I find particularly offensive... :-DD

mnem

Being apart ain't easy on this love affair;
Two strangers learn to fall in love again.

I get the joy of rediscovering you;
Oh, Tek, you stand by me.

I'm for-eh-eh-ever yours... Faithfully."
    :o

I dispute that my language was rude in any way. I am totally aware of the special sense of "productive" in this forum. It means more, funnier and sillier TEA stuff. All for it !  :-+ :-+
But is time to get out of the Tek time loop.  8) Otherwise Alzheimer will come and get you, definitively.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70712 on: September 29, 2020, 03:32:41 pm »
The electrolytics are done. Started on the paper tubulars. But I won't be able to complete it today. Got other things I must tend to this afternoon. Should be done tomorrow morning and after a quick deoxit will attempt it's first power up.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70713 on: September 29, 2020, 04:03:11 pm »
Med, at least you do remember.
Your TEK's do not.
They were fabricated before the discovery of memories.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #70714 on: September 29, 2020, 04:08:10 pm »
Not my best video for sure.... do not even know why i bought the thing..
But you can see my Dad's old Tek 475 in the back, and its mine now  :-+

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, FransW, BILLPOD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70715 on: September 29, 2020, 04:11:04 pm »
Well I'm glad you bought it because I need a sub box at the moment and that has completely ruled that one out skipping through the video and seeing the construction. So thumbs up here  :-+ :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70716 on: September 29, 2020, 04:12:36 pm »
Med, at least you do remember.
Your TEK's do not.
They were fabricated before the discovery of memories.

Lots of weirdness going on here the last few days. You guys need to lay off the skunky beer or whatever it is you're smoking.  :o :P :-DD

Or join these guys for a long walk.    ;D ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #70717 on: September 29, 2020, 04:13:40 pm »

In looking at the pix of the 465B I am concerned about how badly oxidized the Coupling and Source switches are. They are almost white and look like they could fall apart at any time. None of my 400 series scopes are that bad. They show some oxidation but nothing that approaches what I see with yours. I have to wonder under what environment that scope was stored in. High heat comes to mind but who knows. Hopefully they will be OK.

My spidey sense was on the mark.  :-+ BravoV is located in a tropical country right on the Equator. I'll respect his privacy and not reveal his exact location unless he chooses to do so.
Those with good memories know where Bravo is as he was the beneficiary of Dubbie's free scope giveaway a few years back.
How he has more Tek gear for his bench.....old pic from back then.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70718 on: September 29, 2020, 04:17:22 pm »
mnem

I dispute that my language was rude in any way. I am totally aware of the special sense of "productive" in this forum. It means more, funnier and sillier TEA stuff. All for it !
But is time to get out of the Tek time loop.  8) Otherwise Alzheimer will come and get you, definitively. 

[/quote]

He passed your home recently?
I would never have guessed this.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70719 on: September 29, 2020, 04:27:24 pm »

Those with good memories know where Bravo is as he was the beneficiary of Dubbie's free scope giveaway a few years back.
How he has more Tek gear for his bench.....old pic from back then.

LOL, thanks Rob, that surely brings nostalgic moment, as in the early days of my TEA life., before the enlightment  :-DD

Hmm .. that stack, here better view, presenting ...

.... The beauty plasticky and the BEAST !!!  >:D

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #70720 on: September 29, 2020, 04:29:18 pm »
mnem

I dispute that my language was rude in any way. I am totally aware of the special sense of "productive" in this forum. It means more, funnier and sillier TEA stuff. All for it !
But is time to get out of the Tek time loop.  8) Otherwise Alzheimer will come and get you, definitively. 

He passed your home recently?
I would never have guessed this.
[/quote]

No, he did'nt. He knows that no old Teks to be found at my place. But all the others beware !  8)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #70721 on: September 29, 2020, 04:33:01 pm »
Not TE but a general question...

If i put this on my kitchen ceiling will it automaticly defrost my checken?    :-DD

No, but the sensor can detect you through walls, doors and floors unless they are thick concrete or metal,
constantly requiring me to explain to clients that they are not on all the time.

I've a bunch of old microwave proximity motion (they were used as proximity sensors in the application) sensors, if anyone wants to play with one. Yours for the price of postage.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:55:41 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #70722 on: September 29, 2020, 04:34:43 pm »

LOL, thanks Rob, that surely brings nostalgic moment, as in the early days of my TEA life., before the enlightment  :-DD

Hmm .. that stack, here better view, presenting ...

.... The beauty plasticky and the BEAST !!!  >:D

;D
You collected lots on envy getting 'plasticky' but not sure if anyone will get the new one Rhys has now for a while.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70723 on: September 29, 2020, 04:38:49 pm »
Not TE but a general question...

If i put this on my kitchen ceiling will it automaticly defrost my checken?    :-DD

No, but the sensor can detect you through walls, doors and floors unless they are thick concrete or metal,
constantly requiring me to explain to clients that they are not on all the time.

I've a bunch of old microwave proximity sensors, if anyone wants to play with one. Yours for the price of postage.

Okaaaayyy...  :o

In all honesty, I think maybe I'd prefer if it were that nukular flashlight Fry & Bender were faffing about with...  ???

mnem
"Owww! My Sperm!!!"

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70724 on: September 29, 2020, 04:44:25 pm »

I've a bunch of old microwave proximity sensors, if anyone wants to play with one. Yours for the price of postage.

That sounds entertaining, shall I PM you?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf