Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14823452 times)

mnementh and 129 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70775 on: September 29, 2020, 08:41:28 pm »
Who was it that said that the Type 310A was a hot box? They weren't kidding. This little SOB has only been on 15 minutes and already throwing off tons of heat...even with the covers off.

I've noticed a few issues. The trace "blooms" and goes out of focus if you crank the intensity up. Probably needs HV checked and adjusted. The 50mV Vertical range is FUBAR. Trigger seems a little odd in the way it operates. Already mentioned scale illum dead. But considering the filthy mess it was this is pretty damn good.   :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #70776 on: September 29, 2020, 08:41:56 pm »
Nice. I remember SINIX on some university computers ...

... was nicknamed ISNIX by the few fanboys it had :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #70777 on: September 29, 2020, 08:44:07 pm »
I wonder just how many of the newer scopes would do that when they reach the same age, probably zero  :-DD

Yes indeed. I've decided I'm going to keep the SDS1202X-E until it snuffs it. I reckon ~5 years and it'll brick itself irrecoverably somehow.
:bullshit:
After a bite weren't you ?  :P  :horse:
Oldest units I have 'out there' are a bit over 7 years and still going strong. Not X-E though but some earlier and much less well featured incarnation.
They weren't fan cooled though which IMO are more of a ticking time bomb.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70778 on: September 29, 2020, 08:44:25 pm »
Who was it that said that the Type 310A was a hot box? They weren't kidding. This little SOB has only been on 15 minutes and already throwing off tons of heat...even with the covers off.

I've noticed a few issues. The trace "blooms" and goes out of focus if you crank the intensity up. Probably needs HV checked and adjusted. The 50mV Vertical range is FUBAR. Trigger seems a little odd in the way it operates. Already mentioned scale illum dead. But considering the filthy mess it was this is pretty damn good.   :-+

At least it's dry inside then  :-DD

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70779 on: September 29, 2020, 08:44:49 pm »

VEPHAGANI (vintage equipment performing half as good as new instruments). But anyway, its TEA time  :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #70780 on: September 29, 2020, 08:45:27 pm »
I use Malwarebytes, it has almost zero impact on the speed of my PC and is constantly scanning in the background and will often pop a report in the bottom right of the screen giving the results of its back scans. Take a look at this, I used to have the free one but it was only basic and then I upgraded to the premium single user with a voucher after I had an email from a scammer who claimed they had details of my passwords etc and demanded payment in bitcoins or else. Probably got my details from one of the hacks on various companies systems. Passwords have been changed as a precaution though. Malwarebytes also includes anti ransomware as well.
Malwarebytes doesn't score well in tests compared to others.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #70781 on: September 29, 2020, 08:47:00 pm »
It's not undocumented, you just haven't got the right version of the manual* for your later PSU, I've had to change quite a few toggle switches in boat-anchor grade HP stuff, they often fail open circuit.

*I have the same problem, the manual I possess is never the right version for whatever revision of TE I'm working on, followed by lots of head-scratching trying to work out all the design changes due to obsolete Ge components or elf"n"safety non-improvements.  :phew:

True! There probably is a proper manual somewhere. 

This toggle failed with "no toggle" but with a suitable set of pliers it can be told to switch on, so while it failed while being open circuit it did not do so for good. Of course I'm replacing it -- just had to find a non-metric switch. They all are for 12mm holes these days, but I need just below that, 11.90625 mm or 15/32". (the calipers say 11.9mm, I don't have better than that, but bc gives that many decimals for said fraction.. )

Also, modding to DPST from SPST is a Good Thing. I like that. I'd just want it to be documented in my manual.  :-DD

Edit: The revision Keysight publishes does not mention the DPST switch...

Today's score: A 500VA 1:1 220V toroid transformer for isolation purposes. Free. Haven't checked it out, but hauled it home. It never hurts to have an isolated mains supply. I'd really have liked for it to have a centre tap, but alas. At the price, though, I'm happy.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:39:24 pm by mansaxel »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70782 on: September 29, 2020, 08:47:52 pm »

I've noticed a few issues. The trace "blooms" and goes out of focus if you crank the intensity up. Probably needs HV checked and adjusted.
That was the first thing I suspected when spotting your pic of its trace. Burn in first then adjust the HV.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70783 on: September 29, 2020, 09:05:27 pm »
I wonder just how many of the newer scopes would do that when they reach the same age, probably zero  :-DD

Yes indeed. I've decided I'm going to keep the SDS1202X-E until it snuffs it. I reckon ~5 years and it'll brick itself irrecoverably somehow.
:bullshit:
After a bite weren't you ?  :P  :horse:
Oldest units I have 'out there' are a bit over 7 years and still going strong. Not X-E though but some earlier and much less well featured incarnation.
They weren't fan cooled though which IMO are more of a ticking time bomb.  :popcorn:

Haha. No it's just the standard failure bell curve of modern tech these days.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #70784 on: September 29, 2020, 09:06:48 pm »
Nice. I remember SINIX on some university computers ...

... was nicknamed ISNIX by the few fanboys it had :)

That nickname was kind of self inviting. I've "invented" it too, about the same time I called XENIX "Sehnix".
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70785 on: September 29, 2020, 09:33:01 pm »

VEPHAGANI (vintage equipment performing half as good as new instruments). But anyway, its TEA time  :-+

Well of course. Who knows how many years this scope sat unused and collecting dust/dirt. It's going to have a few issues that will need to be addressed. But once I get done it will perform as near as I can get it to factory specs limited only by the equipment I have available to calibrate it.     

And I already fixed one issue. It was an operator error. Since the scale illumination control also functions as the power off/on switch the max intensity for the scale light bulbs is full anti-clockwise, not full clockwise as is normal and you would expect. The bulbs are fine.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #70786 on: September 29, 2020, 10:23:22 pm »
I give up. After multiple attempts to convert the translated QRV-HB100 article to .pdf without copying it to a fucking Word document first, I cut my losses and just zipped the .html. :palm:

EDIT:   And now I see that the problem was Gurrgle all along; they have some DRM crap in the document so it will only open in a new window at Google Translate. The .html below is useless. |O

mnem
Google, man.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:07:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70787 on: September 29, 2020, 10:37:12 pm »

Well of course. Who knows how many years this scope sat unused and collecting dust/dirt. It's going to have a few issues that will need to be addressed. But once I get done it will perform as near as I can get it to factory specs limited only by the equipment I have available to calibrate it.     

And I already fixed one issue. It was an operator error. Since the scale illumination control also functions as the power off/on switch the max intensity for the scale light bulbs is full anti-clockwise, not full clockwise as is normal and you would expect. The bulbs are fine.  :-+

I am fine if you have fun.  8) What I wonder, however, is in which holy grail Tek museum all these beautifully and fully functional instruments will land. And, who is gonna come and visit these museums ? My first guess: Old farts as we are ourselves.
Best example: Wellenkino (largest collection of tube based Teks in perfectly working order I know of). Awesome but futile. I love it.  >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70788 on: September 29, 2020, 10:59:55 pm »
I give up. After multiple attempts to convert the translated QRV-HB100 article to .pdf without copying it to a fucking Word document first, I cut my losses and just zipped the .html. :palm:

mnem
Google, man.
Gah, its another shit show unfortunately, if like me, your running Firefox as a browser, Google will not allow it to run.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70789 on: September 29, 2020, 11:03:29 pm »

mnem
Google, man.
Gah, its another shit show unfortunately, if like me, your running Firefox as a browser, Google will not allow it to run.

Ctrl+P .... print to PDF  :-//

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70790 on: September 29, 2020, 11:11:29 pm »
Nope. The problem was Gurrgle all along; they have some DRM crap in the document so it will only open in a new window at Google Translate. Doesn't matter what fucking browser. Doesn't matter what print to .pdf plugin either; I tried several.

Like I said; Google, man.

mnem
*pees on Google just on GP*
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:15:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70791 on: September 29, 2020, 11:20:27 pm »
Nope. The problem was Gurrgle all along; they have some DRM crap in the document so it will only open in a new window at Google Translate. Doesn't matter what fucking browser. Doesn't matter what print to .pdf plugin either; I tried several.

Like I said; Google, man.

mnem
*pees on Google just on GP*

Correct, I can at least open the document from your zip file, in a new window any form of printing results in page 1 only and then at almost double the size so only the left side prints to pdf  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70792 on: September 29, 2020, 11:24:01 pm »
I just did this on edge on windows 10 fine  :-//

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70793 on: September 29, 2020, 11:40:37 pm »
Edge sucks. I disabled that sucker ages ago.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70794 on: September 30, 2020, 12:20:59 am »
320m long 3ph service submain line to the pump shed emergency maintenance.
Rust sucks.....and splits porcelain insulators.  :rant:

Blowing like a right SOB here today and not wanting to be 7m up a ladder so grabbed the boi as he was passing in his digga and worked outta the bucket.

Not been formally shown how to do the powerline bindings however it looks fairly close to what was unwrapped.  :phew:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, TorinoFermic

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70795 on: September 30, 2020, 12:30:33 am »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70796 on: September 30, 2020, 12:41:17 am »
I just did this on edge on windows 10 fine  :-//

No, it opens a new window/tab, then reloads the original page from Google Translate; not the local document. Try and print it to .pdf; you'll see what we're talking about.

mnem
|O

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70797 on: September 30, 2020, 01:08:53 am »
320m long 3ph service submain line to the pump shed emergency maintenance.      Rust sucks.....and splits porcelain insulators.  :rant:

Blowing like a right SOB here today and not wanting to be 7m up a ladder so grabbed the boi as he was passing in his digga and worked outta the bucket.
Not been formally shown how to do the powerline bindings however it looks fairly close to what was unwrapped.   :phew:   

And of course you had a spare in yer hip pocket.  >:D

Seriously tho; looks good to me. :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70798 on: September 30, 2020, 01:27:57 am »
Unfortunately, the boi now looks like this:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70799 on: September 30, 2020, 01:39:50 am »
320m long 3ph service submain line to the pump shed emergency maintenance.      Rust sucks.....and splits porcelain insulators.  :rant:

Not been formally shown how to do the powerline bindings however it looks fairly close to what was unwrapped.   :phew:   

And of course you had a spare in yer hip pocket.  >:D

Seriously tho; looks good to me. :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:
Of course, we jump on anything that Powerco's replace as soon as it hits the ground.  >:D
Not allowed their old copper though as it's destined for payment of stocking their staff bar/club.  :popcorn:
Not got a lot of spare on hand now after building that 320m line a few years back after which my linesman mate wanted to gimme a job. F that for a job as way too old for that shit and always in the shittyest weather.
However they certainly have my respect for what they keep working through and put up with.

Unfortunately, the boi now looks like this:

:-DD
Nah, pop had to swat the lines with the back of his hand to show it weren't hot.
Main OFF, Submain OFF and 25A MCB OFF…..3 stages of isolation from bites.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf