Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554079 times)

Wolfgang, BrianInTexas, Vince, SingleBitError and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #72500 on: October 18, 2020, 09:14:25 am »
The wall behind bench 2 now complete and dry. Today at my leisure I'll reinstall the bench and equipment.

That just leaves the wall behind bench 1. It will be done sometime in the "near future". I've had my fill of painting for a while.  :phew:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, syau, tonyalbus

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72501 on: October 18, 2020, 09:16:08 am »
I prefer to sit on the porch with a 12-gauge across my knees. Not for packages per se; just in general.  >:D

mnem
Fun fact: PMS = Paul Must Suffer.

Why do you sit with a roll of wire across you knee?  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72502 on: October 18, 2020, 09:18:19 am »
On every 3d printer there should be a sign: "It'll fit next time"

:popcorn:

But in all fairness, the SLA and nylon parts I had printed professionally have fitted first time, even with screwthreads :)

Well, OK, I did design the nylon part so it would deform slightly and provide a solid push-fit - but since that was design, it still counts as "working".
It all depends. But if you have to match multiple critical dimensions and on something that does not lend itself to measuring easily - good luck getting it first time.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72503 on: October 18, 2020, 09:39:38 am »
in my Nixie DMM are gas bulbs as comma between the nixies.
They are controlled by a 74141.

There is the active light, on, and the others are flashing, it looks to be a isolation problem.
Now the wonder.

When I use the light from my handy to illum the active gas bulb, the others stop flashing and all is allready working !
There is no diode or anything in the area what can be the explain for light sensitivity.

A light sensitive gas bulb ????

Yes,
Gas filled tubes are light sensitive to some degree. Normally they operate so cut-off or hard on it makes no difference or they have a radioactive source to maintain a level of ionisation. If drive is wrong, gas contaminated or radioactive source decayed light can cause issues.
Can be a problem with relaxation oscillators, choppers and trigger circuits that work with the covers off but not with them on.

I've also seen this with a low current LED flasher. Worked fine with the lights on but not when it was in the dark :palm:

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #72504 on: October 18, 2020, 09:44:59 am »
in my Nixie DMM are gas bulbs as comma between the nixies.
They are controlled by a 74141.

There is the active light, on, and the others are flashing, it looks to be a isolation problem.
Now the wonder.

When I use the light from my handy to illum the active gas bulb, the others stop flashing and all is allready working !
There is no diode or anything in the area what can be the explain for light sensitivity.

A light sensitive gas bulb ????

Yes,
Gas filled tubes are light sensitive to some degree. Normally they operate so cut-off or hard on it makes no difference or they have a radioactive source to maintain a level of ionisation. If drive is wrong, gas contaminated or radioactive source decayed light can cause issues.
Can be a problem with relaxation oscillators, choppers and trigger circuits that work with the covers off but not with them on.

I've also seen this with a low current LED flasher. Worked fine with the lights on but not when it was in the dark :palm:

Yes, some tube devices use an incandescent lamp inside the chassis to bias the tubes on.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #72505 on: October 18, 2020, 10:53:00 am »
there was a copper line on the psu board interrupted,
so the +200V was not connected to the 47µF and full rippled.
The DMM works with that, except the 4 comma bulbs problem. Now it have a bypass cable and it is ready to work.
cal is to do of coarse.

The picture shows the comma problem.
Interesting: The comma bulbs work allready with the hard rippled DC whn extern Light is ON.  |O

all in all I used:
5 electrolytics are replaced by fresh, the dead 200v rectifier diode is replaced with a used BY127.
This DMM with very large Nixies was around 100€.
 8)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:58:51 am by Martin.M »

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72506 on: October 18, 2020, 10:56:45 am »
So for all you gun toting Americans I've invented a new cartridge - the BNC-MAG.
It's rimless with the lugs optimised for two land rifling and is an excellent wad-cutter.  :-DD

Any guesses what it really is?

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #72507 on: October 18, 2020, 11:14:01 am »
there was a copper line on the psu board interrupted,
so the +200V was not connected to the 47µF and full rippled.
The DMM works with that, except the 4 comma bulbs problem. Now it have a bypass cable and it is ready to work.
cal is to do of coarse.

The picture shows the comma problem.
Interesting: The comma bulbs work allready with the hard rippled DC whn extern Light is ON.  |O

all in all I used:
5 electrolytics are replaced by fresh, the dead 200v rectifier diode is replaced with a used BY127.
This DMM with very large Nixies was around 100€.
 8) (Attachment Link)

Wow!! love its look!   :-+
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72508 on: October 18, 2020, 11:21:36 am »
So for all you gun toting Americans I've invented a new cartridge - the BNC-MAG.
It's rimless with the lugs optimised for two land rifling and is an excellent wad-cutter.  :-DD

Reducer for microbore central heating?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72509 on: October 18, 2020, 11:25:20 am »

1/2 cookie, that is what it's made from. View on end as a clue

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72510 on: October 18, 2020, 11:28:30 am »
The painting of the wall behind bench 2 is done. Tomorrow I'll reinstall the bench and provide pix.

Just heard on the scanner. Husband/wife domestic. She bit part of his ear off.  :o

How much you wanna bet she is a redhead.  :-DD

I was thinking maybe she was drawing some inspiration from Vincent Van Gogh to go after the guy's ear like that.

There's more.  ;D

Car involved in a roll over accident. Driver manages to get out and proceeds to start fighting with the responding police. He's in custody.

The Sherrif's office just called for radio silence on their frequency. Something going on in the northern part of the county.

It's Saturday night!  :-DD

It must all of that Irish blood coursing through their veins I reckon  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:36:02 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72511 on: October 18, 2020, 11:43:43 am »

It kind of looks like a shielded metal version of the plastic insulated BNC adaptors used with some Fluke scopemeters.

David
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:55:07 am by factory »

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72512 on: October 18, 2020, 12:03:09 pm »
Close enough.
It's a shielded BNC to 4mm plug for guarded capactance (or high resistance) measurements using a Generl Radio standard wirh 4mm binding posts. It makes about 1-2pF difference.
Shown with a GR 1422-D. Apart from reducing fixed errors it also reduces hand effects. I did another with plastic pipe and copper tape but the microbore adaptor looks nicer. When making it I realised the similarity to a necked cartridge.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72513 on: October 18, 2020, 12:08:52 pm »

Sorry, misread the question.

Looks like it might be to adapt a BNC to one of those god-awful old GR connectors.

EDIT: NVM, you answered already  :P
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72514 on: October 18, 2020, 12:53:08 pm »
Close enough.
It's a shielded BNC to 4mm plug for guarded capactance (or high resistance) measurements using a Generl Radio standard wirh 4mm binding posts. It makes about 1-2pF difference.
Shown with a GR 1422-D. Apart from reducing fixed errors it also reduces hand effects. I did another with plastic pipe and copper tape but the microbore adaptor looks nicer. When making it I realised the similarity to a necked cartridge.

It's a homemade version of something like the HP 10111A adaptor, would adding the ground lead make any difference?

David

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72515 on: October 18, 2020, 01:17:22 pm »
Yes, for DC resistance  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #72516 on: October 18, 2020, 01:24:26 pm »
I prefer to sit on the porch with a 12-gauge across my knees. Not for packages per se; just in general.  >:D

mnem
Fun fact: PMS = Paul Must Suffer.

Why do you sit with a roll of wire across you knee?  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

For strangling kids who get on my lawn.   >:D

mnem
Now if you'll excuse me; this is my prime porch-sittin' time...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72517 on: October 18, 2020, 01:24:51 pm »
A ground lead would not make any difference with the 1422-D capacitor, there is nothing to connect it to. One side of the capacitor is connected to the case (the third terminal is for athe 115pF range) which is driven at 4kHz with the meter I'm using.
When I get round to setting my small lathe up I'll male a better one.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:26:22 pm by Robert763 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #72518 on: October 18, 2020, 01:28:07 pm »

BNC - RCA adapter... or that goofy connector you eurozz use for a FM antenna and other whatnot...?

EDIT: NM... you already answered in great detail. I think I'll just go print another iteration... :P

mnem
   Too much blood in my caffeine circulatory system... must have coffeeeeeee...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:47:36 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72519 on: October 18, 2020, 04:29:17 pm »
Slow but steady progress. Bench is back in place and laptop with all it's associated USB links re-connected. Testing as I go.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, FransW, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72520 on: October 18, 2020, 04:35:25 pm »
Hmm, mouthwash green with pink curtains. Med, have you ever considered that you might have undiagnosed colourblindness?

[ Almost the perfect British-style insult. I might be insulting his taste, or I might be making a genuine enquiry. I shall leave it to the reader to divine my intent. ]
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72521 on: October 18, 2020, 04:39:22 pm »
It’s staring at all that blue. It has kicked his 445nm cones in.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Cerebus, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, shakalnokturn, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72522 on: October 18, 2020, 04:58:58 pm »
I don't know about med staring at all of his blue, but me staring at my screen with the control board from the 310 under a microscope is sure doing my eyes in  :-DD :-DD

I've come close to tossing it on my neighbours garage roof on a number of occasions but, unlike your T12 and your neighbours shed, it would just come back to me because their roof is pitched  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72523 on: October 18, 2020, 05:11:56 pm »
I have visions for you getting in a Homer Simpson-esque loop of throwing it on to the roof, it rolling down the roof and hitting you on the head, throwing it on to the roof, it rolling down the roof and hitting you on the head,...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72524 on: October 18, 2020, 05:16:23 pm »
Hmm, mouthwash green with pink curtains. Med, have you ever considered that you might have undiagnosed colourblindness?

[ Almost the perfect British-style insult. I might be insulting his taste, or I might be making a genuine enquiry. I shall leave it to the reader to divine my intent. ]

The curtains are not pink. They are light brown. It's the sunshine and the shitty camera. Go back and look at the pix I posted earlier today when it was dark outside.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf