Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553437 times)

factory, Vince, battlecoder, HalFoster, SingleBitError and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #72750 on: October 20, 2020, 09:06:13 pm »
Well I guess it time to decide what to do with the Thurlby PL310 after all the flipping time I've spent on it and the trouble its been, so I'll just have to put it on one side and wait for the time being........ until I need to use it. Yes that does indeed mean that its fixed and working again and ready for active duty, the little beauty...

Okay... so what eventually was the culprit...? Or are you working up a big post and gonna leave us hanging 'til the big reveal...? 

mnem
he would never do that. >:D
haha, yeah, the culprit was ME.

you sir are my new hero.

not because you screwed the pooch.

and not because you eventually found where you had fecked the family dog.

you are my hero because you fessed up to it.

most commonly folks would have gone with "trouble cleared while testing.....no trouble found."

none of that bullshit for you!

Tony Stark: "You screwed the pooch hard. Big time. But then you did the right thing: you took the dog to the free clinic, you raised the hybrid puppies... alright, not my best analogy..."     :-DD

mnem
Most importantly, you gave it and its little hybrid puppy siblings a good home...  :-+
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72751 on: October 20, 2020, 09:09:23 pm »
If you'd walked up past the Maths block, past the Sports Barn and Halls and up to the north perimeter road, turned right and looked into the first set of ground floor windows you saw on the left you'd have seen the back of a SparcStation 1+ and an early RS/6000 - that was my desk in the "Science Park" (if you can call two buildings a Science Park).

Ah yes I know where you mean. And yes it was a comedy scale science park for sure. It was proudly demonstrated on a walk around which quickly dashed past the halls. I seem to remember there was a burned out car in the middle of the sports field on that day as well  :-DD

Ah, freshers in the bottom of the Maths Block. Where do you think I learned Nadsat?

Indeed. Viddy some snoutie there...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72752 on: October 20, 2020, 09:09:34 pm »
Boy do I feel dumb. "Print Screen" and paste to Paint does the same thing as the Snip tool. I use that often to capture a browser page.  :palm: :palm: :-// :-DD

Yeah, the difference is that you can choose exactly what you snip and either copy it to a document or save it from the Snippy applet; that's the whole point. No need to open Paint, edit, save, etc.

mnem
 :-//
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72753 on: October 20, 2020, 09:10:38 pm »
What are these guys on
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS-5054-Digital-Phosphor-Oscilloscope-500MHz-5GS-s/392915691658
Used i.e. fully working  :wtf:
It's been discussed before on here that the connector damage is almost cetainly deliberate.
To make matters even worse, they have another 29 pages of crap like that on eBay :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #72754 on: October 20, 2020, 09:27:01 pm »
If I cannot sleep, I'm scrolling through the 171 pages of Alltest.

Start page:
https://www.ebay.com/str/alltestinstruments?_pgn=1

End page:
https://www.ebay.com/str/alltestinstruments?_pgn=171

Usually after 10 pages or so I can sleep like a baby.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72755 on: October 20, 2020, 10:07:18 pm »
@nixiefreqq and @ch_scr
Thanks for the comments guys, but at the end of it all, if we can't be honest and admit that we all screw up at some time or other than what is the point? We learn from our mistakes don't we  :-//

I always used to say to my old boss, that if I screw up, I'll always admit it, but according to him, I was always screwing up, when in truth it was others, kissing his butt and planting the suggestion in his brain that it was my fault, and he fell for it, hook line and sinker, now that I'm enjoying my retirement I'm finally seeing those people as the bastards they really are, the type that use you up and spit you out afterwards.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tautech, BU508A, bd139

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72756 on: October 20, 2020, 10:24:01 pm »
Just don't admit to it too often lest you end up being called penis fingers  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72757 on: October 20, 2020, 11:25:14 pm »
What are these guys on
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS-5054-Digital-Phosphor-Oscilloscope-500MHz-5GS-s/392915691658
It's been discussed before on here that the connector damage is almost cetainly deliberate.

Or these guys

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEYSIGHT-DSAZ634A-63GHz-160Gs-scope-Super-Loaded-Warranty-Cal-plan-to-Nov-2024/333406543805

I would have thought there would be better places to try and get $445,000.00 for an item than Ebay.

I mean yeah sure, they are over $530K new but eBay?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72758 on: October 20, 2020, 11:47:32 pm »
Boy do I feel dumb. "Print Screen" and paste to Paint does the same thing as the Snip tool. I use that often to capture a browser page.  :palm: :palm: :-// :-DD

I will blow your mind, select a window on screen and hit "Alt" + "Print screen"  :)

then paste in your prefered software (ex paint)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72759 on: October 21, 2020, 12:01:22 am »
Another problem management and admins make is to restrict everyday data that does not need to be restricted. The restrictions become a pain and workers find work-arounds for stuff that does not matter, but then the work-arounds get used on stuff that does matter. Another is enforcing "complex" passwords that humans can't remember so they write them down |O
Same with physical security. Years ago I was with the boss viewing a building the company was thinking of buying. The server room had RFID access control but the tags we were given were not on the list. Took me less tthan a minute to get in. They had mounted the reader on a plate so I unscrewed that and operated the door release mistakes made were mounting on a plate bypassed the reader anti-tamper (no I'm not saying what it was) and they had made the wiring connectons obvious :palm:

Aircraft software - Boeing 737 bug where if you were on a ILS approach on a specfic heading in a number of specific ranges of lat and long ALL FIVE primary flight and navigation displays go blank :scared:     Fortunatly there were only about a dozen runways on the right heading in the affected locations.

I worked at a place where the original designs had been done by "talented amateurs".
The so-called "motherboard" they designed was really just to interface the real-world stuff with a couple of PCs which did the actual "grunt work".
Although the only intellectual property in them was "public domain" stuff that you could find in a couple of hours perusing the National Semiconductors handbooks, these boards were treated as "top secret"-------it took us forever to talk them into letting us have a schematic.

The silly thing is, the software, which was really good, was the only thing which really needed protection, & although they had so-called security for that, it really sucked--------they lost a laptop once, which had been used in software development!

Apart from that, the physical security sucked--- you could just about break in with a "sharp fingernail!"
Somebody could have got in at night, set up a small CCTV camera looking at the keyboard of one of the desktops, recorded the password keystrokes, came back in the next night, & downloaded everything of interest.

It wouldn't have needed the "Mission Impossible" team--- just any old burglar off the street!

The assembly benches were powered from "daisy-chained" power boards.(O H & S, where were you?).
I would have thought the broad category "security" would include not having the whole place burn down!

I dropped back for a visit about a year after I left.
Some things had changed, the old Boss & his cronies had gone, but the culture remained as crazy as ever.
They had installed a set of surveillance cameras at great expense to keep an eye upon the assembly area (apparently to stop the workers taking notes of the particulars of their magic boards).

The assembly benches were still powered by the daisy -chained power boards, though! |O |O |O

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #72760 on: October 21, 2020, 12:02:06 am »
What are these guys on

Or these guys

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEYSIGHT-DSAZ634A-63GHz-160Gs-scope-Super-Loaded-Warranty-Cal-plan-to-Nov-2024/333406543805

I would have thought there would be better places to try and get $445,000.00 for an item than Ebay.

I mean yeah sure, they are over $530K new but eBay?
But they offer free shipping and an extra bonus of 300 Nectar points.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72761 on: October 21, 2020, 12:27:02 am »

I will blow your mind, select a window on screen and hit "Alt" + "Print screen"  :)

then paste in your prefered software (ex paint)

I like that. Paste right into IrfanView. Thanks!  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72762 on: October 21, 2020, 12:31:27 am »
If you'd walked up past the Maths block, past the Sports Barn and Halls and up to the north perimeter road, turned right and looked into the first set of ground floor windows you saw on the left you'd have seen the back of a SparcStation 1+ and an early RS/6000 - that was my desk in the "Science Park" (if you can call two buildings a Science Park).

Ah yes I know where you mean. And yes it was a comedy scale science park for sure. It was proudly demonstrated on a walk around which quickly dashed past the halls. I seem to remember there was a burned out car in the middle of the sports field on that day as well  :-DD

Ah, freshers in the bottom of the Maths Block. Where do you think I learned Nadsat?

Indeed. Viddy some snoutie there...

Following on from earlier, I rebuilt and reinstalled that DPS8 simulator and fired up Multics on it:

Quote from: Terminal Session
cerebus@shu:~$ telnet localhost 6180
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
HSLA Port (d.h000,d.h001,d.h002,d.h003,d.h004,d.h005,d.h006,d.h007,d.h008,d.h009,d.h010,d.h011,d.h012,d.h013,d.h014,d.h015,d.h016,d.h017,d.h018,d.h019,d.h020,d.h021,d.h022,d.h023,d.h024,d.h025,d.h026,d.h027,d.h028,d.h029,d.h030,d.h031)?
Attached to line d.h000

Multics MR12.6f: Installation and location (Channel d.h000)
Load = 5.0 out of 90.0 units: users = 5, 10/20/20  1432.3 pst Tue
login Repair.SysAdmin
Password:
You are protected from preemption.
Repair.SysAdmin logged in 10/20/20  1432.5 pst Tue from ASCII terminal "none".
Last login 10/20/20  1416.7 pst Tue from ASCII terminal "none".

r 14:32 0.221 31

who -all -long

Multics MR12.6f; Installation and location
Load = 6.0 out of 90.0 units; users = 6, 1 interactive, 5 daemons.
Absentee users = 0 background; Max background absentee users = 3
System up since 10/20/20  1431.8 pst Tue
Last shutdown was at 10/20/20  1426.2 pst Tue

Login at      TTY  Load   User ID

10/20/20  14:31  cord  1.0   IO.SysDaemon
          14:31  bk    1.0   Backup.SysDaemon
          14:31  prta  1.0   IO.SysDaemon
          14:31  ut    1.0   Utility.SysDaemon
          14:31  vinc  1.0   Volume_Dumper.Daemon
          14:32  none  1.0   Repair.SysAdmin

r 14:32 0.063 2

logout
Repair.SysAdmin logged out 10/20/20  1432.7 pst Tue
CPU usage 0 sec, memory usage 0.1 units, cost $0.03.
hangup
Multics has disconnected you
Connection closed by foreign host.

Note the 'utility' origins show up in the dollar charge for the session shown there at the end.

Now I'm really going to have fun and try booting from an MST (Multics System Tape) and setting up a whole system from scratch (Running a sysgen in IBM terms). Wish me luck, I may be some time... He said, tackling a mainframe system from 40 years ago that he's never sysadmined. <- There's another thing, we all talk about sysadmins, look above for the project (group) name in bold - all this old Multics stuff is a pervasive underpinning of much that we use, do and say in computing, even to this day
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72763 on: October 21, 2020, 01:39:33 am »
<page sysop>

mnem
 >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72764 on: October 21, 2020, 02:13:53 am »

All righty then... Today was a crappy day for the ol' TinkerDwagon; I've murdered my 54645A. Well, my clumsy fat ass did, anyways...  ::)   ...I had pulled out the cart it was sitting on to get a tool that fell off my bench behind it and just backed right into it, knocking it off onto the floor.  :palm:

Did exactly the kind of damage it had when I bought it... even in the same areas of the front panel... only worse. Oh, and cracked the corner of the control PCB that somehow escaped destruction the first go-round. |O

PCB repair is underway with resin curing as we speak; however the front panel is another story. I need to cement these two chunks back in place, and I don't know what type of cement to use, so I'm calling for a lifeline from any of you chemistry freaks.

I do know that ordinary consumer-product cyanoacrylate doesn't work; I tried it the first go-round with a bunch of support tabs I found broken loose. It started out looking good, etching into the material just like regular model-plastic ABS; but it just turned the plastic crumbly and never set up like CA & ABS usually does. As you can see in the 2nd pic, it is marked as a ABS/polycarbonate blend, so I'm sure that's the cause. I just don't know what WILL work. :-//

Anyhoo... I have the parts placed and the outer surface masked off with tape to seal the edges of the crack. This is my preferred method; I've used it more times than I can count to repair cracked VCR/CD/DVD/Audio gear fascia made of ABS. This tactic usually yields as close to a invisible repair as you can get, however it requires a watery consistency cement that will infiltrate into the cracks like CA does.

I would prefer an actual brand or product known to work with this stuff; ideally one which can be ordered off Amazon.

EDIT: I'm leaning towards Plastruct Bondene: https://plastruct.myshopify.com/pages/technical-info-msds-sheets I think it's what I used to use for my big ship and plane models where you had to hold multiple parts together at once and let the glue wick between. Now trying to find a local supplier.

Thanks,

mnem

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 04:55:39 am by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #72765 on: October 21, 2020, 02:28:36 am »
So I got a deal on a Tek C-12 oscilloscope camera recently. My plan for it is to remove the polaroid camera and retrofit a digital camera of some sort. Possibly one of those cameras for microscopes. Ideally, a reversible retrofit, but since the particular film for those cameras is unobtainium, perhaps it's not so important.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72766 on: October 21, 2020, 02:35:18 am »
So I got a deal on a Tek C-12 oscilloscope camera recently. My plan for it is to remove the polaroid camera and retrofit a digital camera of some sort. Possibly one of those cameras for microscopes. Ideally, a reversible retrofit, but since the particular film for those cameras is unobtainium, perhaps it's not so important.

If it were me I'm modify the C-12 mount as required without regards to making it reversible. After all, where are you going to find B/W polaroid film packs? (And the fixer agent that you needed to spread on the picture so it wouldn't fade)

Edit, another thought. Rather than mounting a full size digital camera how about a small pinhole camera connected to a PC?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 02:38:15 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72767 on: October 21, 2020, 02:56:40 am »

If it were me I'm modify the C-12 mount as required without regards to making it reversible. After all, where are you going to find B/W polaroid film packs? (And the fixer agent that you needed to spread on the picture so it wouldn't fade)

Edit, another thought. Rather than mounting a full size digital camera how about a small pinhole camera connected to a PC?

Yes, certainly the film is unobtainable short of finding a whole bunch in the kind of place I got that 519 and 577D1. I will probably experiment a bit; definitely want something connected to the computer for ease of grabbing and editing images. The only thing that won't likely be easy to achieve, that film allows, is taking multiple exposures.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72768 on: October 21, 2020, 03:03:16 am »

Yes, certainly the film is unobtainable short of finding a whole bunch in the kind of place I got that 519 and 577D1. I will probably experiment a bit; definitely want something connected to the computer for ease of grabbing and editing images. The only thing that won't likely be easy to achieve, that film allows, is taking multiple exposures.

Even if you do find the film unless it has been stored under ideal environmental conditions it's probably NG. And even then I wouldn't bet on it. 

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72769 on: October 21, 2020, 03:04:55 am »

Even if you do find the film unless it has been stored under ideal environmental conditions it's probably NG. And even then I wouldn't bet on it.

Don't worry, I do not plan on adding "darkroom" to my lab.  :-DD Maybe for actual photography someday, but not for taking scope photos.  ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72770 on: October 21, 2020, 03:17:14 am »

Don't worry, I do not plan on adding "darkroom" to my lab.  :-DD Maybe for actual photography someday, but not for taking scope photos.  ;D

Ahem....you don't need a darkroom for polaroid film.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72771 on: October 21, 2020, 03:20:23 am »

LOL!! I know; I was just making a point. But if I hadn't we wouldn't be treated to that wonderfully campy vintage ad.  :-DD  :P  :P

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72772 on: October 21, 2020, 03:22:51 am »
I'm glad I made you laugh. Now I can go to bed and sleep peacefully.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72773 on: October 21, 2020, 03:29:25 am »
 8)

I put in an offer for a 4CX250F tube on fleabay. The seller must be high on some good stuff with the BIN price they want. I suspect the 4CX250F in the 519 may be weak, due to odd problems with the sweep on 2 ns/cm.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #72774 on: October 21, 2020, 03:31:18 am »

Ah - that brings back memories...

One of my first summer holiday jobs was working the photographic counter of a local chemist - and I remember having to put in an order for Polaroid film packs.  This was a bit of an ask from a guy who'd never been involved in supply chain operations, but I put in my best guess.  They dutifully arrived in a couple of days when the manager asked if we had more than we needed as there was another branch that was asking for more.  I hesitantly said no, hoping that I wasn't going to end up with excess stock which, fortunately, didn't happen.

I also remember ordering the Polaroid flash bars.....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 03:32:55 am by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf