Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14826647 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #72925 on: October 22, 2020, 04:59:04 pm »

Yeah, I have nobody to blame but myself for that one.

If I'd stopped to flip the bail up so it rests on all 4 rubber feet, never woulda happened. Sitting flat the thing is like it's glued to the top of my cart, which is actually a Ikea Alex rolly drawer unit. Yeah, I know... not the BEST choice but in my defense, it works well with my usual workflow as all the leads & accessories are in the drawers right there.

So now, a change in SOP... I leave it lying flat UNLESS I'm using it. When I'm done using it, I lay it flat again, no exceptions. I got used to leaving a probe coiled up in the space under the bail; now I'm paying the price for my laziness.

mnem

Looking at that photo I can't help think the next things you'll be glueing together will be a Fluke 189 and HP glass thermo-mug.
Luckily the colours are right for the season, with the right solvents and glues you could recycle the remains into glass toothed pumpkin.

Sortof... the bail is doing its job right there in that very pic. If it weren't there playing Bouncer I'd already have that meter, that mug, my drill-driver, a pile of assorted capacitors, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, etc... stacked right up against the screen and nekkid chassis of my 54645.

mnem
Know thyself.
Its only naked because?? I rest my case my friendly dwagon  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72926 on: October 22, 2020, 05:02:38 pm »

From the what the fuck upcycling department. Possibly one of the stupidest tables ever.
I think that has just proved that Apple have totally lost the plot now. :-DD :-DD :-DD

What else is that damned thing good for anymore...?

Also, why is it apple's fault some Etsy fucktard put legs on a 20-year-old Mac and some HRdroid or his BoardMemberdroid brother thought it looked hip and bought it...?

Better that than Edison bulbs hot-snotted onto a AVO.

Makes a nice little Unix box  :-DD

My objection to the idea is basically the uselessness of it as a table. It’s not flat. Stuff is just going to fall off it

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #72927 on: October 22, 2020, 05:03:18 pm »

Dude to you too, its simples, stack it up on top then and not in front, after all with the thing laying flat, stuff is not likely to slide/roll off is it? ::)

Also, wouldn't help a damned bit. I'd then have that meter, that mug, my drill-driver, a pile of assorted capacitors, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir playing "chess" with the Dallas Cheerleaders, a dismantled Volkswagen and half a bong stacked all on top AND in front of my 54645A.  :-DD

mnem
Self-restraint sometimes requires physical restraints.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72928 on: October 22, 2020, 05:06:04 pm »

Dude to you too, its simples, stack it up on top then and not in front, after all with the thing laying flat, stuff is not likely to slide/roll off is it? ::)

Also, wouldn't help a damned bit. I'd then have that meter, that mug, my drill-driver, a pile of assorted capacitors, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the Dallas Cheerleaders, a dismantled Volkswagen and half a bong stacked all on top AND in front of my 54645A.  :-DD

mnem

You'll have to do what I did, and bring the scope forwards so that there is insufficient space to allow you dump your stuff in front of it  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72929 on: October 22, 2020, 05:07:47 pm »

From the what the fuck upcycling department. Possibly one of the stupidest tables ever.
I think that has just proved that Apple have totally lost the plot now. :-DD :-DD :-DD

Also, why is it apple's fault some Etsy fucktard put legs on a 20-year-old Mac and some HRdroid or his BoardMemberdroid brother thought it looked hip and bought it...?

Makes a nice little Unix box  :-DD   My objection to the idea is basically the uselessness of it as a table. It’s not flat. Stuff is just going to fall off it.

Plug it in. That'll cure all its woes.  :-DD

mnem
tzzzzt.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 05:20:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72930 on: October 22, 2020, 05:10:38 pm »

Also, wouldn't help a damned bit. I'd then have that meter, that mug, my drill-driver, a pile of assorted capacitors, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the Dallas Cheerleaders, a dismantled Volkswagen and half a bong stacked all on top AND in front of my 54645A.  :-DD

mnem
You'll have to do what I did, and bring the scope forwards so that there is insufficient space to allow you dump your stuff in front of it  :palm:

I'm looking at that... you still have a battery and gross tonnage of test leads right up agin' it.  :P  When I'm rummaging, it's a literal shitstorm. Like something out of a cartoon; no lie.

Just believe me when I tell you... what works is doing something that makes me stop and think about where I put shit down. The only thing that works.

mnem
*too clumsy for soft restraints*
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 05:17:05 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72931 on: October 22, 2020, 05:21:50 pm »

mnem

I'm looking at that... you still have a battery and gross tonnage of test leads right up agin' it.  :P  When I'm rummaging, it's a literal shitstorm. Like something out of a cartoon; no lie.

just believe me when I tell you... what works is doing something that makes me stop and think about where I put shit down. The only thing that works.

mnem
*too clumsy for soft restraints*
LMAO, none of which will/are causing any damage, all mayor controls are out in the open and a simple brush of my hand and I have access to the screen brightness and on/off controls and I only have 33cms (13") between my bench and the scope in which to haul my lardy arse in and out of my work position, so I have to maximise all available space and use it. ^-^
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72932 on: October 22, 2020, 05:32:20 pm »
These capacitor adapters showed up today as I gather parts for the latest project. The associated capacitor BOM has been written up but not ordered yet. These adapters were supposed to show up Tuesday but for some reason USPS sent them to FOUR different distribution locations within NY/NJ before finally delivering them. But it only took one day to go from Virginia to the first location in NY. Freaking idiots.  :palm:

Anyone want to guess what these adapters are for? Simply saying “Tek scope” or “HP counter” won't cut it. Specifics please. The only recognition you'll get is that you were paying attention.  ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72933 on: October 22, 2020, 05:38:12 pm »
These capacitor adapters showed up today as I gather parts for the latest project. The associated capacitor BOM has been written up but not ordered yet. These adapters were supposed to show up Tuesday but for some reason USPS sent them to FOUR different distribution locations within NY/NJ before finally delivering them. But it only took one day to go from Virginia to the first location in NY. Freaking idiots.  :palm:

Anyone want to guess what these adapters are for? Simply saying “Tek scope” or “HP counter” won't cut it. Specifics please. The only recognition you'll get is that you were paying attention.  ;D

For the 519?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72934 on: October 22, 2020, 05:42:38 pm »

My objection to the idea is basically the uselessness of it as a table. It’s not flat. Stuff is just going to fall off it

I've got one of the old aluminium G5 PowerMacs and two Xeon based ones. I had been vaguely considering using two (probably the Xeons) as combined coffee table legs/blow heaters. The Xeons still have enough grunt (and memory) to be still useful, if power inefficient in current day terms. One of the Xeons still serves as an occasional desktop machine for when I need to run old 32 bit code, such as the perpetual, non-cloud versions of Photoshop and Illustrator, the other currently has VMWare on it but is kept powered off.

I wouldn't be the first:
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72935 on: October 22, 2020, 05:44:11 pm »

For the 519?

Umm....no. I don't have a 519. Oculus has the 519.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #72936 on: October 22, 2020, 05:44:48 pm »

Interested in some gambling?   ;D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233672580533

Price: 57€
Shipping: 103€

:palm:

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72937 on: October 22, 2020, 05:47:08 pm »

Experiences like that, that for a brief moment evoke a loved one that's gone are something to be cherished for sure.

It happens to me too.  Every so often I cross paths with something that brings back one of the people that mentored me that passed far too soon and for a moment, it's like they're sitting a few feet away gently giving their pointers or making a joke about the situation that also contained some sage advice based on their own long experience, then it's over just as fast as it's happened and I'm by myself again.  The quiet with the rustling whirring of a motor generator set running gets me that way; I'll have to show you pictures of one of my repair jobs some time that I wish my friend could've seen.

I never had a mentor. What I learned was through personal experience. And the accomplishments were for personal satisfaction only. I've even had individuals (guess) who would try to discourage what I did. Claimed it took time away from them. Which is why I was essentially  inactive in the hobby for many years.

Current Lady doesn't completely understand what I do but she appreciates it and encourages it. When I happen to mention to her that I'm stuck fixing something she always states "I know you. You won't give up until you fix it". And when I mention at a later date that I did fix it her response is "I knew you would". That's all the mentoring I need.  :-+

I know what it's like to get cut apart over your interests for sure.  I was the black sheep of the family.  Maybe I still am, I'm not sure.  Anyways, I never had a mentor for electronics either.  Same with computers so I ended up learning both on my own when I was a teenager from books and what little there was on the internet back then.  The unfortunate thing, when you're young and you don't have the experience with life yet to know that this isn't true, when all you hear out of the public education system and your family is that you're an incapable retard that's never going to go anywhere in life for years and years, you end up believing it and can't see a way out.

I found out pretty quickly that it's impossible to get a real job here without having an incredible in or the on paper credentials; I never had the luck of finding an employer willing to take a chance on someone unproven so I was stuck living at my parents house while I worked in a dead end job.  Meanwhile, one of my best friends who lives in Pennsylvania was unhappy with his job and went back to school taking electrical engineering as a mature student at one of the Penn State satellite campuses and we'd speak on the phone regularly and shoot the breeze about the course material or whenever one of us would visit the other.  I'd give tips and advice about things like amplifier circuits, C and assembly programming, electric machines and power stuff, etc. as it came up.  There was one truly satisfying phone call one evening that went along the lines of "I was the only person in the class that could answer this question today and it was because you gave me the background on it".

One of our friends, Bob who was involved in some of the same non-profit groups that both of us were, the guy who ended up mentoring me, started to get on my case about the mismatch he observed between what I could do and what I was doing living at home and working in the dead end job.  I was starting to question on my own why I couldn't do electronics or electrical engineering post-secondary if I was keeping up fine with most of the material my friend's program at Penn State without having the benefit of going to class or the labs or have the books.  For some reason, I thought there must have been this inaccessible layer of content at the college or university level that I wasn't even aware of much less capable of handling and it was becoming clear that this wasn't the case.

Bob was one of the main people who pushed me to go back to school myself as a mature student and go for it, and I signed up to do a three year advanced diploma at one of the community colleges; even as a mature student, my high school grades still ruled out university.  My family wasn't happy about it though and there was a lot that was said and done about how I was just going to screw this up and drop out so they weren't going to help out with any of it etc. etc. etc.  My parents spent the entire thanksgiving dinner when I was in first year slagging me to the whole extended family that way.  Six weeks later, first semester was winding down, and I had been tracking my grades throughout the whole thing and I was pretty sure I would be on the honour roll unless I somehow blew the final exams.  I waited several days into the Christmas holidays and logged into the college's system and sure enough, there it was, and a hard copy of the honour roll letter arrived in the mail a couple days after that.  Needless to say, my parents were NOT happy about this and they told me not to tell anybody in the family at Christmas.  Embarrassment being a fate worse than death and being shown up like that less than two months after slagging me to the whole extended family about how they thought I was going to screw up at college.  Well, I was proud of being on the honour roll, so I told everyone.  It was priceless seeing my parents staring daggers and spitting nails about how nice this was and trying to say things to the effect that it was some kind of aberration that they weren't expecting.

This happened each semester the rest of the way for college and it turned into a standing joke with Bob and a coupe of other friends.  "Still on the honour roll?"  "Yes."  "You're parents must be furious."  "Yes."  They only started to come on side near the end when they realized it was turning into a job via a co-op placement that was going to let me afford to move out of the house but that's the only reason why my family stopped tearing strips out of me for doing electronics.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, tautech, Zucca, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, mansaxel, Kosmic, Saskia, Zoli

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72938 on: October 22, 2020, 05:59:19 pm »
Great story and good for you!  :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72939 on: October 22, 2020, 06:00:53 pm »

For the 519?

Ok then, how about the 7603N?
Who let Murphy in?

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72940 on: October 22, 2020, 06:01:48 pm »

Stuff like HP oscilloscopes, f'rinstance...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72941 on: October 22, 2020, 06:10:01 pm »
@25_CPS, well done you, it must have been terrible being written off like that from the very people who should be building you up.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72942 on: October 22, 2020, 06:19:14 pm »
This happened each semester the rest of the way for college and it turned into a standing joke with Bob and a coupe of other friends.  "Still on the honour roll?"  "Yes."  "You're parents must be furious."  "Yes."  They only started to come on side near the end when they realized it was turning into a job via a co-op placement that was going to let me afford to move out of the house but that's the only reason why my family stopped tearing strips out of me for doing electronics.

I think your parents can count themselves very lucky that they didn't get the son it sounds like they deserved.  >:D

Good on ya mate!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tautech, SilverSolder, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72943 on: October 22, 2020, 07:22:46 pm »
@25_CPS, well done you, it must have been terrible being written off like that from the very people who should be building you up.

There are less stringent requirements for becoming a parent than there are to drive a car or buy 100 shares in Microsoft...   weird, when you think about it.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72944 on: October 22, 2020, 07:32:26 pm »
The Marconi 2022E I "stole" from BD139 arrived this afternoon. It's a bit grubby and fault as advertised, e.g. 300MHz u/s 400MHz ok.
took the cover off and found - a bag of screws :( it least they were there. So one VCO not working, Just a BFR91 with 12V on collector and switched -12V on emitter network to select which is on. -12V switching OK but no voltage on TR10 collector. Collector is fed from 12V rail via two 100 ohm resistors and a bunch of decoupling caps, mixed ceramic and electrolytic.
No prises for guessing - a 220uF 16V electrolytic dead short. So that was easy, now I have just got to put it all back together.
So a £250 RF gen for £73  :)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72945 on: October 22, 2020, 07:34:58 pm »

For the 519?

Ok then, how about the 7603N?

Congratulations. You were paying attention.  :-+ ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72946 on: October 22, 2020, 07:38:59 pm »
The Marconi 2022E I "stole" from BD139 arrived this afternoon. It's a bit grubby and fault as advertised, e.g. 300MHz u/s 400MHz ok.
took the cover off and found - a bag of screws :( it least they were there. So one VCO not working, Just a BFR91 with 12V on collector and switched -12V on emitter network to select which is on. -12V switching OK but no voltage on TR10 collector. Collector is fed from 12V rail via two 100 ohm resistors and a bunch of decoupling caps, mixed ceramic and electrolytic.
No prises for guessing - a 220uF 16V electrolytic dead short. So that was easy, now I have just got to put it all back together.

Bingo  :-+. That's actually exactly what I was going to check first. Was it one of the axial ones as pictured in blue here? (I am mostly attempting to validate my debugging skills here  :-DD)

(please excuse the potato photo - this is the only picture of the board I could find on the net)

Hopefully it won't blow an OM345 next  :scared:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:44:35 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #72947 on: October 22, 2020, 07:39:19 pm »

Interested in some gambling?   ;D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233672580533

Price: 57€
Shipping: 103€

:palm:

Oh dear!  :(

Shipping to Germany around EUR 50,-  (plus customs, VAT etc.) 
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72948 on: October 22, 2020, 07:50:29 pm »

I've got one of the old aluminium G5 PowerMacs and two Xeon based ones. I had been vaguely considering using two (probably the Xeons) as combined coffee table legs/blow heaters. The Xeons still have enough grunt (and memory) to be still useful, if power inefficient in current day terms. One of the Xeons still serves as an occasional desktop machine for when I need to run old 32 bit code, such as the perpetual, non-cloud versions of Photoshop and Illustrator, the other currently has VMWare on it but is kept powered off.

I wouldn't be the first:

When I was still doing business with the E-cyclers I knew in San Damntonio... they had 3 of the G-something Ultra-something freestanding server enclosures. If you took a G-5, stretched it about 1.25 G5s tall and 3 G5s wide, then painted it satin black... pretty much a G5 CUBE... that's what it would be. IIRC, it was essentially a box for 2 or 3 of their 19" rack-mount servers with a big I/O panel on the back.

I was moving and to this day I regret that was the time I tried to be sensible & took a hard pass... I could have had them all for $80; probably less if I brought cash...

mnem
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 09:29:53 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72949 on: October 22, 2020, 07:51:25 pm »

Bingo  :-+. That's actually exactly what I was going to check first. Was it one of the axial ones as pictured in blue here? (I am mostly attempting to validate my debugging skills here  :-DD)

(please excuse the potato photo - this is the only picture of the board I could find on the net)

Hopefully it won't blow an OM345 next  :scared:

No, the pale blue radial at top left of the PCB, just out side the screen can. Same circuit though.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf