Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14825095 times)

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73500 on: October 29, 2020, 02:29:20 pm »
Meanwhile I have had a strange eBay result, I was looking to order a 15V battery for an analogue multimeter and I clicked on the BIN button for a battery from a seller called "jlsbatteries" based in Shropshire, and got this message on screen.

Strange because I have never dealt with this seller before :palm: I can only assume that it must be one of these Chinese companies that uses a load of aliases in the UK to sell on eBay from UK warehouses and is most likely linked directly to that seller that I had the issue with over that ultrasonic cleaner and that they did not like having to pay for the return of their mis-sold item.

On the other hand I ordered some 1% resistors from another seller called "msgraphics", yesterday and today the seller popped them personally through my front door with a nice note. :-+

Edit. I decided to see if my son could order the battery me, so I popped into his room, and he logged and tried to buy it and bingo, it's on its way to me. So question for you IT and coding freaks, would my son have a different IP address to me or are all computers etc, after the main router seen as one address?

Probably sold out of the AVO-8 batteries and halted all inquiries.
Just took the wrong multiple choice item.

PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #73501 on: October 29, 2020, 03:10:21 pm »
MMhhhpfff.. Got a 8560E that I marked as "fine and dandy" that apparently misbehaves starting from 100kHz and below. Between 100kHz and 10kHz it drops off by 10dBm (yeah...). It's not the SG (tried with another SA). Feels like something dumb I did wrong but I can't figure it out :c

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #73502 on: October 29, 2020, 03:11:21 pm »
Currently printing at 20% infill and 0.28 LH. It's like watching firehose laid down after printing Tiny Toothless.:-DD Still a 17 hour print.  :palm:

mnem

Ehhh.... A mixed bag. I had misgivings when I previewed it in Cura; I could see I'd been a bit too aggressive with the the middle row of holes, and Cura exaggerated the gaps in the slicing process. But I REALLY wanted to get more of my favorite drivers in there, so I decided to see how it would work out.

Overall it's quite serviceable; I did get the 8 jeweler's drivers and the 6 large ones I most needed in there. A couple of the holes drag a little when putting/pulling a driver, and the divider with the smallest cross-section snapped out first time I put a driver in. We'll see how well it continues to serve; I may have to revisit the design and shrink most of the holes in the center area so that all the other slots are properly supported.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73503 on: October 29, 2020, 03:18:20 pm »
Needs a safety lid  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn, syau, AVGresponding

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73504 on: October 29, 2020, 03:20:23 pm »
Currently printing at 20% infill and 0.28 LH. It's like watching firehose laid down after printing Tiny Toothless.:-DD Still a 17 hour print.  :palm:

mnem

Ehhh.... A mixed bag. I had misgivings when I previewed it in Cura; I could see I'd been a bit too aggressive with the the middle row of holes, and Cura exaggerated the gaps in the slicing process. But I REALLY wanted to get more of my favorite drivers in there, so I decided to see how it would work out.

Overall it's quite serviceable; I did get the 8 jeweler's drivers and the 6 large ones I most needed in there. A couple of the holes drag a little when putting/pulling a driver, and the divider with the smallest cross-section snapped out first time I put a driver in. We'll see how well it continues to serve; I may have to revisit the design and shrink most of the holes in the center area so that all the other slots are properly supported.

mnem

I'd keep stabbing myself in the hand with that, trying to get to the screwdriver I wanted.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73505 on: October 29, 2020, 03:31:27 pm »

mnem

mnem

I'd keep stabbing myself in the hand with that, trying to get to the screwdriver I wanted.

McBryce.

Double ditto. Ouch!  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73506 on: October 29, 2020, 03:32:05 pm »
Ah ha....I shut it off and left it for about a half hour and now it has a trace again. Some sort of heat related failure. Very interesting. Currently powered up with a trace. We'll see how long it lasts.

Watch me get this wrong......

My money is on a dodgy solder joint.

Bets are on HVPS here, multiplier or primary oscillator.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73507 on: October 29, 2020, 03:33:55 pm »
Mouser order. UPS 2nd day air. Delivered 15 minutes ago. 1115 hours. Right on time. On time delivery record is 100%.  :-+ :-+

Eat your heart out USPS.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73508 on: October 29, 2020, 03:37:35 pm »
Ah ha....I shut it off and left it for about a half hour and now it has a trace again. Some sort of heat related failure. Very interesting. Currently powered up with a trace. We'll see how long it lasts.

Watch me get this wrong......

My money is on a dodgy solder joint.

Bets are on HVPS here, multiplier or primary oscillator.

Well whatever it is it's intermittent. It's been on for several hours and no crap out. The capacitors to rework the PSU have arrived so tomorrow going to change them out then more burn-in. And hit the boards with a heat gun.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73509 on: October 29, 2020, 03:39:44 pm »
Mouser order. UPS 2nd day air. Delivered 15 minutes ago. 1115 hours. Right on time. On time delivery record is 100%.  :-+ :-+

Eat your heart out USPS.  ::)

1115 hours = 46.5 Days - That's about the standard delivery time for some couriers here.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73510 on: October 29, 2020, 03:46:33 pm »
Oh the classic M-------- tap switching...

TEA Rule N# 14: Never write, say or even think the name or anything related to that company...

Everyone who broke this rule will be reported to the TEA moderator Cerebus

Moderator? What? Did you perhaps mean "sent to report to Cerebus for percussive re-education, or a 'light trim'"?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73511 on: October 29, 2020, 03:48:10 pm »
See if it's good or see if it goes bang!  :-DD

Oh, it's good... Very, very good.  :-DD

And now that I've seen it lit up, I can put it away and finish the work at hand. ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73512 on: October 29, 2020, 03:50:28 pm »
Isn't that refreshing? Disagree with a female and get away with it.  :o ;D

Tell me, where can I get me one of them?  :-DD

"In your dreams, buddy, in your dreams." - Smeeta Smitten.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73513 on: October 29, 2020, 03:52:49 pm »
In my dreams, girls like her take a number.  >:D   Something with 8-12 digits.

mnem
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 03:57:44 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73514 on: October 29, 2020, 04:01:37 pm »
Oh the classic M-------- tap switching...

TEA Rule N# 14: Never write, say or even think the name or anything related to that company...

Everyone who broke this rule will be reported to the TEA moderator Cerebus

Moderator? What? Did you perhaps mean "sent to report to Cerebus for percussive re-education, or a 'light trim'"?

Will master be needing his formal breechclout along with the conversational cutlery this evening...?

mnem

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73515 on: October 29, 2020, 04:22:54 pm »
Med - is that a DH Mosquito model on the top shelf?
I asked the same question a while back and yes it is.

Yep, and the other one is a Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

Thanks. My father flew as a navigator in Mosquitos during the second world war, so I have a bit of a soft spot for them!

But it's a real shame that not one in the UK is in flyable condition. The disadvantage of making it out of plywood. It rots. I believe there are one or two here flying and also in New Zealand.
We have the Mosquito museum at London Colney where they are attempting to get one into flying condition and I believe that there is another one in Wales being restored. I can however remember seeing one being displayed at Southend-on-Sea air show many years which was I think the last one in the RAF at the time.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73516 on: October 29, 2020, 04:28:19 pm »
Med - is that a DH Mosquito model on the top shelf?
I asked the same question a while back and yes it is.

Yep, and the other one is a Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

Thanks. My father flew as a navigator in Mosquitos during the second world war, so I have a bit of a soft spot for them!

But it's a real shame that not one in the UK is in flyable condition. The disadvantage of making it out of plywood. It rots. I believe there are one or two here flying and also in New Zealand.
We have the Mosquito museum at London Colney where they are attempting to get one into flying condition and I believe that there is another one in Wales being restored. I can however remember seeing one being displayed at Southend-on-Sea air show many years which was I think the last one in the RAF at the time.
Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre have a Mosquito HJ711 (and a Lancaster NX611) which they taxi regularly

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73517 on: October 29, 2020, 04:30:19 pm »
...See the 7603N in the bench pix I posted? See the nice trace on the CRT? Not 10 minutes after taking that pix it crapped out.  :wtf: No trace, no bean find.  :palm: It went with a whimper. No noise, no smoke. Oh well.  :scared:

Now that you mention it... I should drop bean a ping. I miss my favorite ozzie reprobate... :o

mnem

*flump*

I meant to say "bean find" and yes, I miss Bean too.
I think you actually meant "beam find" surely?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73518 on: October 29, 2020, 04:31:58 pm »
Meanwhile I have had a strange eBay result, I was looking to order a 15V battery for an analogue multimeter and I clicked on the BIN button for a battery from a seller called "jlsbatteries" based in Shropshire, and got this message on screen.

Strange because I have never dealt with this seller before :palm: I can only assume that it must be one of these Chinese companies that uses a load of aliases in the UK to sell on eBay from UK warehouses and is most likely linked directly to that seller that I had the issue with over that ultrasonic cleaner and that they did not like having to pay for the return of their mis-sold item.

On the other hand I ordered some 1% resistors from another seller called "msgraphics", yesterday and today the seller popped them personally through my front door with a nice note. :-+

Edit. I decided to see if my son could order the battery me, so I popped into his room, and he logged and tried to buy it and bingo, it's on its way to me. So question for you IT and coding freaks, would my son have a different IP address to me or are all computers etc, after the main router seen as one address?

Probably sold out of the AVO-8 batteries and halted all inquiries.
Just took the wrong multiple choice item.

Nice try but no cigar, they have plenty of Avo batteries.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73519 on: October 29, 2020, 04:58:22 pm »

Isn't that in danger of becoming "Grandmother's Axe" or "Trigger's Broom"?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73520 on: October 29, 2020, 05:47:48 pm »

Isn't that in danger of becoming "Grandmother's Axe" or "Trigger's Broom"?

Yeah a bit, but most aviation enthusiasts wouldn't complain even if they had to build one from scratch as long as we could see it in the air at air shows in the future. The same goes for steam locomotives such as the recently built Tornado locomotive, built from scratch and first moved on its own in 2008  https://www.a1steam.com/
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73521 on: October 29, 2020, 05:52:09 pm »
The New Zealand aircraft are unashamed new build airframes. A lot of "restored" warbirds retain very little original metal. I did work on the Charles Church Spitfires before he killed himself and apart fron the serial number plates there was virtually now orginal sheet metal in those. At that time the difficult bits were undercarridge castings and brake air bladders but that may have changed. Church had wing nd fuselage jigs, a known technology and still used. The problem with the Mozzie was that they are effectively moulded. That is pretty unique technolgy and the New Zealanders have resurrected it  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:08:36 pm by Robert763 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73522 on: October 29, 2020, 06:00:14 pm »
I know a person who has had a Russian Spitfire in his hanger for many years that was little more than a pile of wreckage having crashed with very few flying hours under its belt. He has been slowly having it rebuilt and is using as much of the original as possible and this week after many years of work, it has had its maiden test flight and I hope to be able to photograph this plane very soon.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73523 on: October 29, 2020, 06:13:49 pm »
Fame at last  8),
I'm in the PlayStation 5 launch video, so is some of my work.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73524 on: October 29, 2020, 06:33:14 pm »
Just now the sound of thumping paws heralded the high-speed arrival of the cat in the kitchen. Three seconds earlier I had opened a sealed pack of [raw] bacon.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf