Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14559910 times)

marcumr, K0ELB, TERRA Operative, Ice-Tea and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73550 on: October 29, 2020, 08:53:43 pm »
Seen, collected, and eaten many wild fungi, but I'm very careful about wild mushrooms. It is entirely possible to find death cap (Amanita phalloides) and destroying angel (Amanita verna) in the same locations - and at some stages they look dangerously similar. They kill you unpleasantly as well: you get ill for 24 hours, recover, and then die a few days later when your  liver gives out.

http://midsomermurders.org/destroyangel.htm
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73551 on: October 29, 2020, 09:00:28 pm »
I think I'd eat some myself if I had to watch Midsomer Murders  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #73552 on: October 29, 2020, 09:00:56 pm »
(onions, tomatoes and mushrooms, in theory things one could pick wild while hunting)

Chives or hedge garlic are easier to find than onions.

Never seen wild tomatoes.

I'm just really citing the classic justification for the name. I've seen wild onions (very pretty little purplish flowers), I've seen a lot more of the other assorted alliums wild and I've seen lots of mushrooms. The only 'wild' tomato plants, feral tomatoes I guess, that I've seen have been growing at sewage works - I'll leave you to work out the life cycle yourself. Real 'wild' tomatoes are small and, in Europe anyway, must be escaped cultivars.

Wild onions:

...They kill you unpleasantly as well: you get ill for 24 hours, recover, and then die a few days later when your  liver gives out.

So rather like drinking Green Chartreuse?

Chives are an allium, of course. It can be fun to be walking with someone,an to watch their face when they taste "that fat grass" :)

Never tried absinthe, but I believe the green pixeies take years to kill you rather than days.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73553 on: October 29, 2020, 09:05:36 pm »

I'll join you. Now she discovered that old bag named Vera.  :palm:

I'm not sure why she likes British crime shows so much. Maybe to get ideas?  :o Perhaps I should sleep with one eye open.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73554 on: October 29, 2020, 09:05:41 pm »

Yeah a bit, but most aviation enthusiasts wouldn't complain even if they had to build one from scratch as long as we could see it in the air at air shows in the future. The same goes for steam locomotives such as the recently built Tornado locomotive, built from scratch and first moved on its own in 2008  https://www.a1steam.com/

Tornado, TBH, was never supposed to be anything other than a new-build. Neither is Prince of Wales by the same people or the BR 3MT No. 82045 by the foundation with the same name (stationed at Bridgnorth MPD) described as anything else than building another one of their respective classes. They just had a 60+ year hiatus in the production line...  :-DD
Agreed about it being a new-build, but that does detract from its interest level or excitement seeing it in action  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73555 on: October 29, 2020, 09:07:02 pm »
Best to give wild mushrooms a miss in my opinion.
Not our field mushrooms though, some years we have buckets of them to share around friends.

Stemmed, caps peeled and fried until partially crispy in butter.....yum !  :)

Oh, field mushrooms are very nice, but not remarkably better than bog standard cultivated mushrooms.

Some of the other fungi can be absolutely delicious.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73556 on: October 29, 2020, 09:10:18 pm »

Yep, once you've seen one you've almost seen them all. Surprised that anyone wants to live in that village TBH, it seems they must have killed off all the residents many times over by now.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73557 on: October 29, 2020, 09:12:19 pm »
Oh, field mushrooms are very nice, but not remarkably better than bog standard cultivated mushrooms.

I think the trick is having had to pick them, butter, battered old iron frying pan, a few stout twigs for a fire, and eating them in the open air. Food you've worked for in the open air always tastes better.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73558 on: October 29, 2020, 09:14:43 pm »

Yep, once you've seen one you've almost seen them all. Surprised that anyone wants to live in that village TBH, it seems they must have killed off all the residents many times over by now.

No.

That wonderful radio programme "More or Less" calculated that Cabot Cove was 50 times more dangerous.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2012/aug/23/fictional-tv-town-murder-rate
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:19:58 pm by tggzzz »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73559 on: October 29, 2020, 09:15:03 pm »
alway

I'm not sure why she likes British crime shows so much. Maybe to get ideas?  :o Perhaps I should sleep with one eye open.  :P :-DD

Get her onto Father Ted.

Anyway I'm off to attempt to watch Star Trek Discovery without shaking my head in shame. Not impressed so far.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73560 on: October 29, 2020, 09:16:30 pm »

I think it's "Class War" slowly decimating the British Upper Middle Class. You'll probably find that Midsummer was founded by the descendants of the Levellers as a trap.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73561 on: October 29, 2020, 09:19:05 pm »
alway

Get her onto Father Ted.

Anyway I'm off to attempt to watch Star Trek Discovery without shaking my head in shame. Not impressed so far.

It is currently in a holding pattern; the dice are in the air. Tomorrows episode may point the way.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #73562 on: October 29, 2020, 09:20:21 pm »

Still rather love the show, though. Even though they lost me a bit the last few seasons.

Along the same vein:
- if you ever see him or any of his family: run. Run like hell. People die where they have their hobbies. Or lunch. Or pick up their mail. Or..
- if someone dies in Midsumer Anything: take a vacation.  A long one. More people will die.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73563 on: October 29, 2020, 09:21:40 pm »
alway

Get her onto Father Ted.

It is currently in a holding pattern; the dice are in the air. Tomorrows episode may point the way.

Today's episode if you start on 1337x.to  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73564 on: October 29, 2020, 09:23:31 pm »

Those are ... crime shows?  :wtf:
And I thought, they are some kind of documentation on how about the people in England live.....

;)   ;D   8) 

Sometimes I do appreciate the underlying humor.

Barnaby: "Where's the victim, Jones?"
Jones: "Right over here, sir, where all these people are standing."
Barnaby: "..."    :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #73565 on: October 29, 2020, 09:26:28 pm »

Agreed about it being a new-build, but that does detract from its interest level or excitement seeing it in action  :-+

Please tell me there is a negation missing in that sentence.

Not having seen the Tornado yet, I'm looking forward to it. Travelled behind a rebuilt Spam Can, 34027 Taw Valley, on the SVR, and yes, I like the Bulleid designs as well as the Gresley locos. So next time we're in the UK, we'll have to cover the Swanage Railway, SVR, NYMR, and Didcot Railway Centre, in addition to the NRM and Bovington Tank Museum. Also, we'll be trying to get a week on a narrowboat.

Some vacation.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #73566 on: October 29, 2020, 09:37:44 pm »
Med - is that a DH Mosquito model on the top shelf?
I asked the same question a while back and yes it is.

Yep, and the other one is a Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

Thanks. My father flew as a navigator in Mosquitos during the second world war, so I have a bit of a soft spot for them!

But it's a real shame that not one in the UK is in flyable condition. The disadvantage of making it out of plywood. It rots. I believe there are one or two here flying and also in New Zealand.
Yeah we have some pretty dedicated restorers of old war planes over here and they have a big biannual get together in Wanaka:
http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73567 on: October 29, 2020, 10:43:30 pm »
I read that as Wakanda for a minute  :-DD

Ok Star Trek Discovery E03 is slightly less poo. Retained my attention anyway. I'll give it one more episode.

A local 'feng using acquaintance of mine is attempting to badger me to get back on the radio again because local 2m has apparently "turned a bit racist" in the last few weeks and he needs more people fighting it. No shit! That's one of the reasons I quit it. I'm not interested and I have declined, politely. If asked again I will suggest that he sticks his ducky up his arse and snaps it off  >:(

Edit: I am actually getting that fucked off with the odd email here from people I do not wish to be associated with further so I actually registered a new domain this week  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:46:13 pm by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73568 on: October 29, 2020, 10:56:14 pm »
Today's episode if you start on 1337x.to  :-DD

Virgin gives me a "we've been told to stop you" message. I can't be arsed to set up a vpn since I watch too much TV anyway.

So I suppose it will be "turn your mind off and watch S1 of 'Ninja Nuns With Guns' [1]", from the same person that created Continuum.

[1] Not really, but that's what it ought to be called :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73569 on: October 29, 2020, 10:59:27 pm »
Virgin gives me a "we've been told to stop you" message. I can't be arsed to set up a vpn since I watch too much TV anyway.

Or you need to get an ISP which doesn't have all that pre-apocalyptic dystopian mind control Stasi firewall shit going on.

Edit: just looked at Warrior Nuns. Don't fancy it. Going back to books and imagination mostly. Currently reading Babylon's Ashes. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01921JRXI .. probably the best series of science fiction books for a very very very long time.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 11:14:22 pm by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73570 on: October 29, 2020, 11:13:36 pm »

Or you need to get an ISP which doesn't have all that pre-apocalyptic dystopian mind control Stasi firewall shit going on.

That would mean ADSL, and bandwidth reduction of 90% :(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73571 on: October 29, 2020, 11:15:22 pm »
900mbits here (being installed in two weeks finally!)  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73572 on: October 29, 2020, 11:20:33 pm »

Ah, the same as on the first computer I used,which is now to be seen in TNMoC.

No thanks.

OTOH a couple of years ago my mothers  house in Brizzle  got rid of lead sheathed twisted pair enameled wires with wax paper insulation. They are just stuffing fibre to the top of the pole outside her house.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #73573 on: October 29, 2020, 11:48:13 pm »
Mouser order that I picked up today has been put to good use:
  • New neon in 6206B. Looks the part, even if it isn't the matte lens they came with. Fitting spring is identical to original, so this is what -hp- service dept. would fit today, if they weren't busy peddling printer ink.  :palm:
  • New feet on same. Slightly higher than original, but threads on screws were correct, and not too long.
  • Bulgin insane 50V mains socket fitted to a Schuko lead  :scared:. This is then used to power my Solartron AC/DC Volt meter, with Nixies.
  • I've also received a Hammond box and resistors to build the RF pad BD wrote about some weeks ago. Found NOS Amphenol 50Ω BNC sockets in Israel for 17SEK a piece, but have not received them yet.

The 6206B is working. Meter calibration was spot on once it was zeroed mechanically. Dialling in 50V on the built-in meter gives within 0,1V of that as measured by a good DMM (-hp- 974A). It now is placed on the "working devices" shelf.

I have had the Solartron for some time, but have not been able to test it (for lack of mains cable). I can now conclude that it works, and is probably a bit out of spec, but not much. It's off by perhaps 20mV at 60V compared to the 974A. It's definitely better than the 427A and not as jittery as the Marconi VTVM. It is also a proper boat anchor, 3HE by 450mm wide and 500mm deep.  Need to do some instrument stack shuffling to get it in.

All in all, a good TE evening in the workshop.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73574 on: October 30, 2020, 12:23:19 am »

Ah, the same as on the first computer I used,which is now to be seen in TNMoC..

0.9 bits? I knew you'd worked on some ancient stuff, but I had no idea that it was so ancient that you hadn't managed to work your way up to a whole solitary bit at the start.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf