Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14787251 times)

wkb, BrianInTexas and 197 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73575 on: October 30, 2020, 03:01:28 am »
Did I miss much...? :-DD

mnem
 :=\

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #73576 on: October 30, 2020, 04:42:50 am »
Only what you've been up to...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #73577 on: October 30, 2020, 04:46:40 am »
not saying  >:D

Boohoo you're no fun  :P

you should be able to work it out, no prizes though.

Hmm, I always assumed it was an airplane on your profile pic for some reason.

Well I am an aerospace engneer and the engines are from a F4 Phantom but it's a car.

Well, then there is a chance (although slim) we will run into each other some day professionally.

There is someone in the neighbourhood that has a PT6 in their car ... and there is also a 1/4 mile track in the neighbourhood.
We feel the air as well as hear the car when it launches on the track.

Our local vintage plane builders are these guys:
http://www.vintagewings.ca  Vintage Wings of Canada
I assume they have an assembly line going for Mustangs, and do quite a few others as well but less frequently.
On occasion, I have to deal with certain members of this group at work.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #73578 on: October 30, 2020, 04:58:21 am »
Just now the sound of thumping paws heralded the high-speed arrival of the cat in the kitchen. Three seconds earlier I had opened a sealed pack of [raw] bacon.
At my place, that happens when peanut butter is opened, but that is the dog.
However, when the dog moves that fast, then there are 16 paws thumping in retreat.  The felines have determined that high-speed arrivals are unacceptable behaviour.

Okay, I am back ... had to go calm down the puppy.  She is all nuts and barking like crazy.  :scared: That means there is a bear, coyote or wolf prowling about.  Anything less than that gets a cursory woof and then any sensible critter quickly buggers off.  If a critter is not sensible and comes too close, then the old dog will join in backup; that is serious business.  To put it in context, the picture I posted back in the summer showed the puppy reaching knee-height.  Now the puppy is able to sweep the dinner table with her tail.  Too tall to qualify as a miniature horse (32 inches at the shoulder maximum).  At 7.5 months old, she weighs 75 pounds and is still growing.  All kids and gentle people are welcome.  UPS, FedEx and DHL are never welcome; maybe they should learn to treat the TE packages with better care.  >:D

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #73579 on: October 30, 2020, 05:18:26 am »
https://www.banggood.com/PENGGONG-Triangle-Magnetic-Screwdriver-Set-Home-Repair-Tool-Kit-Hand-Tool-1_82_02_33_0mm-p-1390779.html

https://www.banggood.com/Broppe-4pcs-50mm-1_8-2_7-14-Inch-Hex-Shank-Magnetic-Triangle-Screwdriver-Bits-p-1142058.html

https://www.banggood.com/search/broppe.html

Here's some at a reasonable price off bang-em-good. The PENGGONG sound like what you're asking for, if not all the sizes. I have zero first-hand experience with their quality, but the handles look pretty cheap. Still so inexpensive it's hard not to suggest them, tho; if you get one job done with them they've paid for themselves. :-//

I can speak to the BROPPE brand personally; much better quality than the price. Full stop; no qualifiers. I have several sets of their driver bits; I especially like the 150mm (120mm shank) #1 & #2 Philips with various size shanks so they self-align in the screw hole. Good quality tool steel, sometimes a hair overpolished and rounded corners, but every bit serviceable. For the price and the functionality, really hard to beat. And the magnetizing holds up very well on magnetized sets.

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Thanks for the suggestions tool dwagon, but you only get an A for effort. :-+

I saw those PENGGONG drivers on Amazon, but was not sure.  The shaft diameter appeared to be potentially too thick.  The Banggood price is much better and was not a site I thought of searching.  However, according to the images on Banggood, the 50mm length includes the shoulder of the handle, so now I am no longer sure they will have the 45mm shaft length.  At least these have the appearance of real screwdrivers.  At the Banggood price, I just might pick them up anyway and give them a try. :-\

The BROPPE brand looks interesting.  However, the specific bits are a total length of 50mm.  When you take off the length of the shank, the remaining shaft length will be too short.  I see they do long versions of some of their sets, just not the one I am looking for  :(

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73580 on: October 30, 2020, 06:23:53 am »
I orderer some Felder soldering tin wire Sn60Pb40 from Bürklin (a Munich distributor) the other day.
Put it in my virtual basket, made the order only without any hassle. But then...

Reaction I got on the invoice (only): Position set to zero, with an information that the manufacturer set a prohibitive note: This soldering tin wire is not available for private buyers any more, only for companies.   :o
Well, I can only look at classic soldering tin wire now in webshops but can't buy it?!   !@#?§#!!   :rant:

All other parts I ordered were delivered flawlessly as always..
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73581 on: October 30, 2020, 06:52:04 am »
The PSU out of the military 7603N. Pulling it out of the chassis was not quite as simple as the manual made it seem but none the less it's on the bench.

I get the feeling me and this PSU are not going to get along. In order to be able to pull the old caps I had to completely disassemble it. Getting it back together afterwards is not going to be much fun. But I'm in this deep so carry on.

More later.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #73582 on: October 30, 2020, 07:00:09 am »
I orderer some Felder soldering tin wire Sn60Pb40 from Bürklin (a Munich distributor) the other day.
Put it in my virtual basket, made the order only without any hassle. But then...

Reaction I got on the invoice (only): Position set to zero, with an information that the manufacturer set a prohibitive note: This soldering tin wire is not available for private buyers any more, only for companies.   :o
Well, I can only look at classic soldering tin wire now in webshops but can't buy it?!   !@#?§#!!   :rant:

You can thank REACH which prohibits the use of lead in "consumer products"

The EU and their directives.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #73583 on: October 30, 2020, 07:35:23 am »

You can thank REACH which prohibits the use of lead in "consumer products"

The EU and their directives.

Lead will kill you in one or another way, if you're around it too much. I for one am more comfortable with the regulations that try removing Pb in as many places as possible, because lead in products offers the manufacturer short-time convenience large enough to prevent its demise unless forced. 

IMNSHO, there has to be a counter-force to the corporate greed, or we will all work unprotected in sweat-shops and then drag our asses home and be forced to consume products that are made with but one goal, bottom line. Like parts of SE Asia, for instance.

I have been complacent, but as I grow less stupid with age I take some things more seriously.  I am happy that my children have had a mostly lead-free environment to grow up in. They are stronger and healthier for that. 

I do appreciate and enjoy the child's play (sic) that is soldering with PbSn. And I keep a roll around for repairs (at current usage level, I'm good until 2040, at least). Even if I'm not doing separate tool environments for PbSn and RoHS solder as I should by the book, I try to limit PbSn to where it is necessary.

Finally; I see lead-free soldering as a new craft to be mastered. As such, it takes adjustment of one's habits, and at this age, just above 50, that does mean some effort.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #73584 on: October 30, 2020, 07:39:47 am »
Chives or hedge garlic are easier to find than onions.

Never seen wild tomatoes.

Seen, collected, and eaten many wild fungi, but I'm very careful about wild mushrooms. It is entirely possible to find death cap (Amanita phalloides) and destroying angel (Amanita verna) in the same locations - and at some stages they look dangerously similar. They kill you unpleasantly as well: you get ill for 24 hours, recover, and then die a few days later when your  liver gives out.
The best advice is to leave wild mushrooms be. Even trained people get it wrong on occasion and suffer the consequences, just not too long as you say.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #73585 on: October 30, 2020, 08:20:09 am »
Okay, I am back ... had to go calm down the puppy.  She is all nuts and barking like crazy.  :scared: That means there is a bear, coyote or wolf prowling about. 

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to have a dog with this level of sang-froid:

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #73586 on: October 30, 2020, 08:23:21 am »
Finally; I see lead-free soldering as a new craft to be mastered. As such, it takes adjustment of one's habits, and at this age, just above 50, that does mean some effort.

100% agree with you mansa, but:

This soldering tin wire is not available for private buyers any more, only for companies.

This is the opposite what we want, let the private repair their stuff and force the companies to work only with Pb free.
Repair should be the first target in a mental sane world, reducing waste the and changing the "buy(renting)-use-toss" it religion.
Yes I love Louis Rossmann, even my company prevents the customers to own and do what they want with the product they have bought with their own money.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:24:58 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #73587 on: October 30, 2020, 08:26:19 am »
Chives or hedge garlic are easier to find than onions.

Never seen wild tomatoes.

Seen, collected, and eaten many wild fungi, but I'm very careful about wild mushrooms. It is entirely possible to find death cap (Amanita phalloides) and destroying angel (Amanita verna) in the same locations - and at some stages they look dangerously similar. They kill you unpleasantly as well: you get ill for 24 hours, recover, and then die a few days later when your  liver gives out.
The best advice is to leave wild mushrooms be. Even trained people get it wrong on occasion and suffer the consequences, just not too long as you say.

That's going a bit too far; the rewards are worth the lesser discomforts. On a couple of occasions my digestive tract has rebelled simultaneously at both ends.

I do seem to have hobbies that are hostile to people with Dunning-Kruger syndrome. One of my other hobbies has killed a couple of people that I knew, doing something they loved.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73588 on: October 30, 2020, 08:51:49 am »

Had this as well. Fortunately I have a limited company so I just ordered it through that instead  :-DD

You can still get leaded stuff on eBay though.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73589 on: October 30, 2020, 09:07:42 am »

Had this as well. Fortunately I have a limited company so I just ordered it through that instead  :-DD

You can still get leaded stuff on eBay though.

I'm a private person only.

I do see that it's in general good to ban Pb as much as possible.
I just don't like Pb-free soldering, personally.   :-//
Perhaps I'm to lazy -I haven't made any efforts yet to get used to every-solder-joint-looks like-a-cold-one-soldering, because I (also) have some 500g rolls of soldering tin wire as backup (surplus purchase).
Only problem is the flux integrated -it's water based and it has a "best-before" on it because it degrades with time.  >:(
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73590 on: October 30, 2020, 09:18:09 am »
I tried lead free a few years back but as you mention it's really hard to get a decent looking joint. I also managed to get cracked ones as well. I don't know if the alloys have improved since but I get the feeling that's a no.

Random interesting article: 11 greatest vacuum tubes you've never heard of

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/space-age/the-11-greatest-vacuum-tubes-youve-never-heard-of

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, exor

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73591 on: October 30, 2020, 09:35:02 am »

I've ordered this at 30.06.2020 at Bürklin. Got delivered without any problems:

Bestell-Nr.     Artikelbezeichnung                          Menge    Einzelpreis inkl. MwSt.     Gesamtsumme inkl. MwSt.

11L4370         Lötdraht, 0,5 mm, Sn62Pb36Ag2, 250 g        1           28,56 €                       28,56 €

11L4372         Lötdraht, 0,75 mm, Sn62Pb36Ag2, 250 g       1           24,276 €                    24,276 €

11L410           Lötdraht, 1 mm, Sn60Pb39Cu1, 500 g           2           21,063 €                    42,126 €

86F8918         Ø 4 mm Stecker stapelbar, rot                      15          1,5708 €                    23,562 €

86F8897         Ø 4 mm Stecker stapelbar, schwarz               15          1,5589 €                    23,3835 €

11L395          Lötdraht, 0,5 mm, Sn60Pb39Cu1, 500 g         1           29,155 €                     29,155 €

@URI

Let me know if I can help out, e.g. ordering some stuff at Bürklin.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:36:33 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73592 on: October 30, 2020, 09:45:57 am »
I tried lead free a few years back but as you mention it's really hard to get a decent looking joint. I also managed to get cracked ones as well. I don't know if the alloys have improved since but I get the feeling that's a no.

Random interesting article: 11 greatest vacuum tubes you've never heard of

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/space-age/the-11-greatest-vacuum-tubes-youve-never-heard-of

1 out of 11.  :-DD
With the VF14M I'm familiar with :) because of the Neumann U47 / U48
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73593 on: October 30, 2020, 10:17:54 am »
Defeated right from the get go. None of my soldering/desoldering equipment can generate enough heat to properly wick the solder off these capacitors. Even braid dipped in liquid flux. The mass of those capacitors acts like a giant heat sink. My suction bulb desoldering iron just sits there with very little melt. The pix shows about 20 minutes of freaking around just making a fucking mess.

Obviously I need a heavy duty vacuum pump desoldering station. Recommendations? Hopefully something that will do the job without spending a fortune. I know Hakko has one but it's damn near $300 USD. I'm looking to spend less than that.

Going to clean up this mess and reassemble everything and call it a day.  ::) :palm:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73594 on: October 30, 2020, 10:21:14 am »
Metcal + 3mm braid :popcorn:. No joke.

Other option I have seen is you can saw the legs off the capacitors. That decreases the thermal mass.

Also for UK folk: £1 final value fees offer again this weekend  :-+
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:22:59 am by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73595 on: October 30, 2020, 10:32:22 am »
Defeated right from the get go. None of my soldering/desoldering equipment can generate enough heat to properly wick the solder off these capacitors. Even braid dipped in liquid flux. The mass of those capacitors acts like a giant heat sink. My suction bulb desoldering iron just sits there with very little melt. The pix shows about 20 minutes of freaking around just making a fucking mess.

Obviously I need a heavy duty vacuum pump desoldering station. Recommendations? Hopefully something that will do the job without spending a fortune. I know Hakko has one but it's damn near $300 USD. I'm looking to spend less than that.

Going to clean up this mess and reassemble everything and call it a day.  ::) :palm:
[/URL]

I have a SP-1010DR which is very good imho.

I got it from here:
https://www.tme.eu/de/details/sp-1010dr/entlotstationen/solder-peak/

More information and a teardown:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/solder-peak-sp-1010dr-(zd-915-rebrand)-teardown/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #73596 on: October 30, 2020, 10:35:16 am »
Med
Mix in some lower temp silver bearing solder and you'll probably get the job done.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #73597 on: October 30, 2020, 10:38:18 am »
or use hot air (had lots of success with hot air / preheater.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73598 on: October 30, 2020, 10:39:31 am »

bd139 and myself put a warning message up here when this kicked in about a year that there were still suppliers on eBay who were selling it to us. Both of us stocked up on it at the time. Suggest that you look on eBay as I'm sure there will some sellers out there with stocks that they want to shift and may not be aware of the restriction.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73599 on: October 30, 2020, 10:40:54 am »
Metcal + 3mm braid :popcorn:. No joke.

Other option I have seen is you can saw the legs off the capacitors. That decreases the thermal mass.

Also for UK folk: £1 final value fees offer again this weekend  :-+
Yep, got my offer first thing this morning
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf