Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14405875 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75000 on: November 11, 2020, 10:13:38 pm »
Ding!

Far too many of these posts are mine and I readily accept that I have no life. Actually, let me rephrase that. Far too many of these posts are mine and I proudly accept that and this is how I choose to live my life and anyone that doesn't like it or frowns upon it can piss off.  :rant:

Looking forward to the next 3000 pages.  :-+
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:16:55 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75001 on: November 11, 2020, 10:14:52 pm »
Spot on  :-+

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75002 on: November 11, 2020, 10:16:14 pm »
Yup, this is how it is now:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75003 on: November 11, 2020, 10:22:25 pm »
Not me. I'm still totally:   

mnem
And the more people I meet, the more I love that fucking stick.  >:D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:25:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75004 on: November 11, 2020, 10:34:44 pm »
This is a screen-grab of the offending picture.      David

Hmmmm... I assume this is one of your own pics, so not a .heic in disguise (as they are oft wont to do), right? Maybe try converting it to a different file format...?

mnem

No not any of that HEIC rubbish, just a JPG rotated & resized, I started again with the original picture and it worked fine the second time.

David

Are you by any chance using the Windoze Photos app to edit? While it is very convenient... at least on my PC, the last few revisions of Windoze it has been flaky as hell. Crashing on save, corrupted files, cursor starts acting weird halfway through a session. I've gotten in the habit of copying my pix to a catchall folder on my desktop before working with them, and leaving the original on the card as backup.

mnem
 ???
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75005 on: November 12, 2020, 12:00:21 am »
   Currently printing at .016LH and ~40mm tall.  >:D

mnem
So wrong. ;D
Why are you printing mini-BD139s?
I think he has over spent on the shed so he is having to make his own Christmas present for the kids this year.
Nope. This one is for my dad.   :P

mnem
Share the lurrrrve... >:D

Sicko!

I wonder I'm thinking Deadpool here?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #75006 on: November 12, 2020, 12:00:58 am »
Ding!

Far too many of these posts are mine and I readily accept that I have no life. Actually, let me rephrase that. Far too many of these posts are mine and I proudly accept that and this is how I choose to live my life and anyone that doesn't like it or frowns upon it can piss off.  :rant:

Since when can a life without TEA be called a life ? Its always an addiction that stabilizes a personality.  :-+ :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75007 on: November 12, 2020, 12:02:09 am »
I wonder I'm thinking Deadpool here?

As Med would say, "No shit sherlock!".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75008 on: November 12, 2020, 12:17:08 am »

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:41:57 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75009 on: November 12, 2020, 12:31:55 am »
The Type 310A has been on for hours and has remained cool and 100% functional. So it has passed my burn-in criteria and this project is finally complete. All I have to do is add a foam filter when it arrives next week. Been a fun project and has been the case with prior projects it took some interesting twists and turns. So what's next?

I have the military 7603N scope for re-cap but I think I'm going to hold off on that for a while. I want to get some new shelving built up for the bedroom. Winter is rapidly coming and I'll have to work it in an unheated garage so I better get to it. Next week I'll start on it.   

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 01:02:27 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, syau, BILLPOD, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75010 on: November 12, 2020, 12:41:34 am »
Looking good med.  :-+   I'm proud, lookit that self-restraint. Not a drop of bloo paint in the whole project.  :-DD

mnem
Whut next...? Afore long, he'll be talking all civilized an' shit... maybe even wearing pants when he's home alone... >:D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 12:54:44 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75011 on: November 12, 2020, 12:57:12 am »

All cleaned up and ready to ride...  just in time for family night.  ;D

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75012 on: November 12, 2020, 02:06:47 am »
Well done Med, you sure licked that 310 and its fan into final submission, right now I reckon all the old early Tek scopes are shaking in their boots knowing that when you get your hands on them, their retirement is over and you're going to be sending them back to work again, like a slave driver would  >:D  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #75013 on: November 12, 2020, 02:08:50 am »
I was broken of that misconception one day when, in the midst of a prank war, I deliberately tried to nuke a coworker's exposed running hard drive with a bulk tape eraser and...

NOTHING. NADA. ZIP.

Later, I tried nuking aboot a dozen different HDDs from the parts pile, first with one and even two bulk erasers and not a single failure; even doing a full scan on all, except for one laptop HDD that had already been marked "???".

A little research on the Seagate website revealed the reason... short of a superconductor magnet, it is very hard to generate magnetic flux equivalent to the head spinning a few microns above the platter. The shell of the drive is more than enough protection in 99% of cases.

So yeah... magnetized screwdrivers are your friend. Just keep them out of where you're doing sensitive adjustments, and where they can draw themselves to dangerous bits of your equipment.

mnem
 :-/O

I have not only used magnetized screwdrivers on computers, laptops and such, I've even used powered ones with no issues ever.  All drivers on my workbench and in my company tool bags are magnetized.  I have magnetizer/demagnetizers in both.  Mostly just to recharge when they get weak.  The company stance on rendering hard drives unrecoverable no longer includes demagnetization.  Darik's boot and nuke if the drive is functional.  Drilling through otherwise.  I just destructively disassemble and shatter the platters.  Great way to relieve stress.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75014 on: November 12, 2020, 02:11:05 am »
Ding!

Since when can a life without TEA be called a life ? Its always an addiction that stabilizes a personality.  :-+ :-+

Or pushes one over the edge. ;)

mnem
*edgy*

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75015 on: November 12, 2020, 02:31:51 am »
[...]  an unheated garage [...]

Now there's a project, right there!  -  I don't regret setting up a somewhat serious electric fan heater in the garage to take the edge off winter projects...

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #75016 on: November 12, 2020, 03:07:24 am »
The Type 310A has been on for hours and has remained cool and 100% functional. So it has passed my burn-in criteria and this project is finally complete. All I have to do is add a foam filter when it arrives next week.

Nice work Med.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75017 on: November 12, 2020, 03:23:45 am »
[...]  an unheated garage [...]

Now there's a project, right there!  -  I don't regret setting up a somewhat serious electric fan heater in the garage to take the edge off winter projects...

I do have an electric space heater in here as backup in case the furnace takes a dump...which it has a few times. I could bring it out to the garage but the problem is that it's a 3 bay open with no dividers. (It does have doors). It would take forever just raise the garage 1 degree F.   

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75018 on: November 12, 2020, 03:27:58 am »

This might do me.  :-DD

mnem
 :scared:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:41:04 am by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75019 on: November 12, 2020, 03:31:09 am »

This might do me.  :-DD

mnem

That's about what it would take and still be barely comfortable. Plus they are loud.  :o I just got done beating loud into submission.  |O

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75020 on: November 12, 2020, 03:49:21 am »
Today was a complete clusterfuck on the shed. Got 2 more roof panels up in 3 sorties through the afternoon; damn cold, damp wind just kept making my hands seize up.  ::)

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #75021 on: November 12, 2020, 05:14:47 am »
Over here on this side of the pond, they do issue tickets to the vehicle, well to be precise, the registered keeper. Its then upto the keeper to accept the fine or challenge it for whatever reason, ie not the driver on that occasion etc. Only yesterday I had to drive across a red traffic light and block of the traffic on my right, who had the green light anyway, to give a fire engine a clear path as he had his blues and twos on If were to get a fine in the post for that, I have the answer, HD video footage on my dashcam of the fire engine to prove why I went through a red light.

Here they're referred to as "owner liability tickets".  If a speed camera or a red light camera takes a picture of your car, they send you the bill as the registered owner but it's a cash fine only because it doesn't know who was at the controls driving it when the infraction happened, they can't award demerit points.

As usual, when it comes to cash grabs, the city of Toronto can't get enough cameras out there.  There was one down the street from where I parked when I was visiting relatives a couple months ago in a 30 km/hr zone.  I walked the car through at 20.  Not my problem.  Now down the road where I live, the banjo plucking doorknobs at our city hall didn't want to be outdone by Toronto so what they decided to do with the speed cameras they're putting out here is set the threshold at which they start fining people at 1 km/hr above the limit.  You read that correctly.  1 km/hr above the limit = fine even though most car speedometers aren't that accurate.  Even though a minor change in wheel size is going to throw it off.  Even though, for one example, the GPS app on my phone and the speedometer on my truck don't agree so which one, if any, is correct, and that applies to most people's vehicles.  The more this happens, the more I think I'm going to be walking my car past speed cameras well below the limit to avoid tickets for one, but hopefully to get a severely aggravated procession behind me just to make the point.

The legal requirement for speedometers is that they must OVER READ  e.g. +x% -0% with the approved wheels and tyres fitted. If you change wheels that's your issue. Your GPS is the most accurate speed measurement you have. As long as you drive at constant speed in a straight line for 5 seconds t is good to +- 0.1 MPH. you might have to go to the GPS satus page to get that resolution though.

The legal requirement applicable to 25 CPS and myself here in Canuckistan is a bit different.  They tried for and botched "performance based requirements".  All the CMVSS (Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) says is there must be a means of indicating speed to the driver.  However, the North American standards are harmonized, so the CMVSS reads as a Cole's Notes version of the Americans' MVSS.  The MVSS might have some more detail within it.  However, there is no legal basis for us to call up the MVSS...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75022 on: November 12, 2020, 08:28:42 am »
Since LTT visit me at work, I share with you

at 8:40 you see the area where I work on future prototypes, that exact same car made me sweat a lot of analysis.
I am also wearing one of that fancy blue jacket....

Then there's a good chance that we have worked together at some time.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #75023 on: November 12, 2020, 08:36:02 am »
Since LTT visit me at work, I share with you

at 8:40 you see the area where I work on future prototypes, that exact same car made me sweat a lot of analysis.
I am also wearing one of that fancy blue jacket....

Then there's a good chance that we have worked together at some time.

McBryce.

Because you like to wear fancy blue jackets, too?   ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75024 on: November 12, 2020, 08:37:40 am »
So how many cars are made and sold only in Canada?
Not many I guess, so they will all comply with harmonised standards and over read.
The Canadian rules require a little more than there must be a means of indicating speed to the driver, it must be illuninated when the lights are on, must be MPH or KPH (or both) and must be labled to say which.
Inerestingly the European rules now say the speedometer must be indepenent i.e. a GPS speedometer is not acceptable. I assume so you can't say "sorry officer the GPS dropped out" when speeding.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf