Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406306 times)

Carl_Smith, zepto, salvagedcircuitry and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #76000 on: November 24, 2020, 04:25:13 pm »
Just let bd139 fuck it. Whatever it is. Then they'll both be happy.  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, shakalnokturn

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76001 on: November 24, 2020, 04:39:32 pm »
You wouldn't expect to get such confidential information from a IRL auction house; why would you expect it from fleaBay...? Oh, right... because in a previous incarnation they did ignorantly publish such privileged information for a while...  :-\

What? Of course you would expect to get that from a real life auction: "Going once, going twice, sold at £23 to the man in the Tyrollean hat in the front row. Next lot, ...".

There's no price secrecy in a standard open auction, that only happens for things like sealed bid auctions, and even then a strong indication of the final price is normally published so that the bidders know that the auctioneer didn't cheat and award the deal to their mate who bid only 50p.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76002 on: November 24, 2020, 05:00:15 pm »
Yes, but that is NOT what we're talking aboot here. What we're talking aboot is an auction which is converted to a private sale to a "closed bid" because nobody bid enough soon enough to satisfy the seller.

By the same token, no auction house will reveal the reserve price on reserve auctions; that is the exact same kind of privileged information. Otherwise it would just be the minimum bid. And often, high-ticket auction houses will receive private bids on open auctions... and if that private bid takes it, they do NOT reveal the amount of that bid; the only thing you can know is the highest open bid. You can't even be sure that private bidder x bid higher than that highest open bid; the seller usually has the option to accept a lower bid if they dislike the highest open bidder.

I know this is a weird tangent to what normal folks would consider to be normal auction practices, but keeping the amount of the "closed bid" private makes sense. Not sure why eBay offers this (I don't know exactly how, but I'm pretty sure they get more money this way in the end; maybe they base the fees on the listing price no matter what it actually sold for?); I'd guess that it's an evolution of their Dutch Auction format which has been there since day one standard auction practices to emulate these high-ticket auction houses and make more money from people with money to spare. :-//  *

mnem
 :P

*EDITED oodles of time because it didn't even make sense to me
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:36:27 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76003 on: November 24, 2020, 05:36:08 pm »
Okay... so when did Android remove "Call duration" from "Call Details"...? This has been essential information instantly available on every cellphone since... well... since they were just cellular phones. |O

The more I use Android10, the more it feels like the "we took everything useful out so now you have to install a app for that" ASSHOLE VERSION.  :palm:

mnem

Check in your options, on my Android phone (running Android 10) on the right next the phone log/or person you called etc, is an "i" and touching that will reveal the call duration, and time of the call etc.

Android is a good system in my view,
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76004 on: November 24, 2020, 05:40:50 pm »
Nope. On mine "Call Details" just shows the time of call and whether incoming or outgoing. It's fucking infuriating; you used to get all this info in your call history scroll by default, and that has been normal for decades. I can see allowing the morons to turn that off; but to just take it away completely is fucking idiotic.

EDIT: Oh, wait... I see now. They do offer that info on calls to/from a number in my contacts. But NOT for any other numbers.  ???

Have they restructured all this shit so it's part of your Contacts database...? That would explain why I have to assign a a special notification tone to every CONTACT instead of being able to assign it just to SMS MESSAGING like I used to be able to do...

This is beginning to smell like another aspect of  of their "your private Contacts list is our content" bullshit, where Contacts doesn't work right unless you're logged into Google services...

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:54:30 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76005 on: November 24, 2020, 05:47:53 pm »
Hold your horses and blaming "the man" again. Perhaps little old peon me made a mistake. Let me go check again. Geez....everything is a fucking conspiracy with you.  :palm:

Where the FUCK did THAT come from...?

Well, I've got to side with Med, conspiracy mode is one of your basic MOs. You're always picking out one of your pet targets to blame with scant or no evidence to that end.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #76006 on: November 24, 2020, 06:03:27 pm »
I just wanted to say thank you to BU who delivered not just the resistors I bought, Santa gave him other stuff for me.
I knew it, being a good boy during the year pays off at Xmas.

Thank you soo much.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:49:30 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76007 on: November 24, 2020, 06:08:22 pm »
My Internet and phone connection has just been mended after 4 days of complete & utter deadness (underground single leg break 400m from the house). There is almost no mobile signal here either.

21 pages!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76008 on: November 24, 2020, 06:08:33 pm »
Hold your horses and blaming "the man" again. Perhaps little old peon me made a mistake. Let me go check again. Geez....everything is a fucking conspiracy with you.  :palm:

Where the FUCK did THAT come from...?

Well, I've got to side with Med, conspiracy mode is one of your basic MOs. You're always picking out one of your pet targets to blame with scant or no evidence to that end.

Hardly. I subscribe to Alan Moore's philosophy;  that "...yes, there is a conspiracy, in fact there are a great number of conspiracies that are all tripping each other up. And all of those conspiracies are run by paranoid fantasists, and ham-fisted clowns."

And they're all just looking for some way to take from the many and give to themselves. Often enough that the exceptions are literally statistical outliers, that is the correct answer.

mnem
"The world is rudderless." ~A. Moore
"And our so-called leaders sold the sails & keel off for scrap before I was born." ~me
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:12:58 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76009 on: November 24, 2020, 06:12:22 pm »
My Internet and phone connection has just been mended after 4 days of complete & utter deadness (underground single leg break 400m from the house). There is almost no mobile signal here either.

21 pages!

*tosses you a boat-anchor... errr, life-preserver.

mnem
 >:D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #76010 on: November 24, 2020, 06:19:51 pm »
You can lead a horse to water.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76011 on: November 24, 2020, 06:25:00 pm »
Mmmmhmmm.... I assume that since he's posting directly after me, he's trolling me again?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76012 on: November 24, 2020, 06:26:42 pm »
I’m reminded of Harry Enfield’s Scousers at the moment

https://youtu.be/STIvNjWobzA

Edit: change clip to better one
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:28:46 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76013 on: November 24, 2020, 06:41:43 pm »

In the back of mind I can hear a dulcet Northamptonshire voice saying "Yow can if yow jump up and down on its neck hard enough.".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76014 on: November 24, 2020, 06:45:43 pm »
I’m reminded of Harry Enfield’s Scousers at the moment  https://youtu.be/STIvNjWobzA

I grew up with GoodFeathers from Tiny Toons. Same SNR.  :P

mnem
Aaaand now we're back to pigeons...  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:47:45 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76015 on: November 24, 2020, 06:49:46 pm »
I’m reminded of Harry Enfield’s Scousers at the moment

https://youtu.be/STIvNjWobzA

Edit: change clip to better one

Ech? Ech? Yowse trying to imply something about Scousers? Ech? Ech?

I had a couple of Scouser mates in my regular drinking circles around the time that came out. If you wanted to get a rise out of them all you had to do was an impression of Harry Enfield doing an impression of a Scouser. Just saying "Ech?" was enough to get them going. It was like saying "Frau Blücher" in a stables.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76016 on: November 24, 2020, 06:56:14 pm »

*Imagines C lovingly chaperoning a drink around the ensuing chaos like Cyrano Jones in this fight scene from Star Trek*

mnem

*EDITED: my name is Mudd. :palm:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:09:10 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #76017 on: November 24, 2020, 07:11:14 pm »
Mmmmhmmm.... I assume that since he's posting directly after me, he's trolling me again?

mnem
Obviously. Criticism is trolling. No self assessment required. Any functioning adult knows this. I mean, even the sitting president of the US agrees.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76018 on: November 24, 2020, 07:19:32 pm »

And Now for Something That is Actually... Constructive...?

That's right... I'm painting unicorn butts. You may now point and laugh.  :P

Seriously... it was what I had handy for trying out this cheap dollar-store acrylic paint and trying to make a serviceable detail brush from some dollar-store cheapies; I couldn't bring myself to spend $40 on no-name paints & brushes from Amazon just to do a couple of DeadPool figures. :palm:

mnem
*remembering when you could buy a kit of Testors Enamels for $7; and it came with thinner and a couple brushes*
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:31:14 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76019 on: November 24, 2020, 07:29:05 pm »

...But a pencil has to be lead. - Stan Laurel.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76020 on: November 24, 2020, 07:31:50 pm »
I just wanted to say thank you to BU who delivered not just the resistors I bought, Santa give him other stuff for me.
I knew it, being a good boy during the year pays off at Xmas.

Thank you soo much.

Same here, some red dotted goodness  :-+
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #76021 on: November 24, 2020, 08:28:57 pm »
@Zucca, PA0PBZ and the others:

my pleasure!   :D

Those naughty little thingies sneaked in somehow. I guess, they are kind of being up and running adventurous¹
and that's perhaps the reason for R&S to mark them with a red dot.   :-DD

Glad, that you've enjoyed it.

Edit:
¹ is that any better? @mnem
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:47:37 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76022 on: November 24, 2020, 08:34:50 pm »
@Zucca, PA0PBZ and the others:   my pleasure!   :D

Those naughty little thingies sneaked in somehow. I guess, they are kind of being up and running and that's perhaps the reason for R&S to mark them with a red dot.   :-DD   Glad, that you've enjoyed it.
"being up & running"...? ???

I know it's just a lost in translation thing... but now I need to know more.  :P

mnem

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76023 on: November 24, 2020, 08:36:12 pm »

And Now for Something That is Actually... Constructive...?

That's right... I'm painting unicorn butts. You may now point and laugh.  :P

Seriously... it was what I had handy for trying out this cheap dollar-store acrylic paint and trying to make a serviceable detail brush from some dollar-store cheapies; I couldn't bring myself to spend $40 on no-name paints & brushes from Amazon just to do a couple of DeadPool figures. :palm:

mnem
*remembering when you could buy a kit of Testors Enamels for $7; and it came with thinner and a couple brushes*

Yeah the paint is damn expensive. Fluffy the unicorn set me back about £20 in paints  :palm:

There’s something about painting unicorn butts  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76024 on: November 24, 2020, 08:37:46 pm »
I know... right?  :-DD

Could be worse... I could be licking unicorn butts.    >:D

mnem
*slurrrrrrrp*
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:43:48 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf