Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14886926 times)

squibby, mianos and 156 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #76350 on: November 30, 2020, 11:00:31 am »
Americans can't handle more than two Si Units at once without suffering mental overload.

So capacitors are 1000000uF and 15000pF

Go choke on a biscuit.  >:D :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76351 on: November 30, 2020, 11:35:58 am »
Oooh biscuits. There's a good idea  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76352 on: November 30, 2020, 12:00:02 pm »
A few days ago I said I wasn't going to look at the faulty display board from the 5248M counter till I had fixed all the other problems, but playing spot the difference with the readout board from the 5245L and trying that one, I realised the difference is in the neon/photo resistor based decoder section (the board from the 5245L only displays 3,4 & 5). 

Noticing the corrosion on the tube socket I thought I would have a look inside the decoder block to see if it was in the same condition, maybe it needed cleaning to stop the random glow (from all the digits) from the number readout bulb.
How wrong I was, unfortunately damp has got inside the block & eaten away some of the traces on the photo-resistor plate and this plate is the main difference in this display board between the 5248 & the 5245 models. |O

Before & after cleaning with IPA,

Looks like I'm stuck with only 7 usable digits unless/until I can find a replacement.  :(

Nearly everyone blames the neons for faults with these display boards, but in this case it was the photo-resistor & decades of neglect in a damp shed.

David
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:06:47 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, bd139, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76353 on: November 30, 2020, 12:06:09 pm »
That's interesting. What does the photoresistor do in that assembly?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #76354 on: November 30, 2020, 12:06:58 pm »
I think the main confusion with using mF is that rather than milli-Farad, it used to be used to mean micro-Farad.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76355 on: November 30, 2020, 12:07:36 pm »
Yep.

µF -> alt+m on macOS FTW

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76356 on: November 30, 2020, 12:08:05 pm »

Brightness/intensity feedback for the neon tubes?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76357 on: November 30, 2020, 12:08:52 pm »
No Comment

Amazing, is that a Fluke 123 with a working battery?  :-DD

David
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:12:05 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76358 on: November 30, 2020, 12:10:21 pm »

It's the decoder for converting the binary from those pairs of transistors to decimal for the number display bulb. I need to have a better look the paper 5248 & 5245 manuals to see why they needed to use a different decoder plate.

David
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:11:55 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76359 on: November 30, 2020, 12:14:39 pm »

It's the decoder for converting the binary from those pairs of transistors to decimal for the number display bulb.

David

That's quite neat. Considerably cheaper than throwing more transistors at it at the time as well!

I remember someone telling me that when I worked for an MoD contractor that they had two guys full time reducing transistor count in discrete circuits in the early 1960s to cut production costs.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #76360 on: November 30, 2020, 12:40:14 pm »
I think the main confusion with using mF is that rather than milli-Farad, it used to be used to mean micro-Farad.

And capacitance was measured in Jars. 1Jar = 1111pF, apparently.

BTW, µ is altgr-m in other Unices such as Linux, not just bastardised BSDs such as macOS :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76361 on: November 30, 2020, 12:47:52 pm »
BTW, µ is altgr-m in other Unices such as Linux, not just bastardised BSDs such as macOS :)

https://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1212p.pdf  :popcorn:

I've got to say, the ambiguity between the whole pF and uF scales on circuit diagrams has pissed me off for years, especially when you see someone specify obviously an electrolytic capacitor with "1000" so you have to reverse engineer what it's used for before you can determine if it's 1nF or 1mF  >:(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76362 on: November 30, 2020, 12:53:48 pm »

It's the decoder for converting the binary from those pairs of transistors to decimal for the number display bulb. I need to have a better look the paper 5248 & 5245 manuals to see why they needed to use a different decoder plate.

David

An analog binary to to decimal decoder? I'd have to draw that out to get my head around it properly.

The colour balance in the pics makes it a little tricky for us to play along with your spot the difference, the only things I can see are,
1. The 1W or so resistor on its own, 47k on the 5245 board and 10 or 100 ohms? on the 5248 board Grid bias resistor? I don't know enough about VT tech to make a good guess.
2. The four pairs of diodes with their anodes tied to connection 5 on the card edge on the 5245, on the 5248 are an older design and I'd want to check if the polarity markings make sense.
3. The colour coding on the 1-10 outputs from the decoder to the readout tubes is different. Is this because the coding is random and just a way for the assembly tech to make sure terminal 1 goes to pin 1, or is it because the pinout is different?

Given the output side is going to be effectively a ten output exclusive on-off switch, if the pinouts are wrong you're likely to get a scrambled version of what it should display, but without a complete failure to display anything.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76363 on: November 30, 2020, 12:56:07 pm »

And capacitance was measured in Jars. 1Jar = 1111pF, apparently.

Interesting. I guess that means that at one point there was a Standard Leyden Jar used as the base for the unit.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76364 on: November 30, 2020, 12:57:20 pm »
"nF" is foreign to me. So is "mF". But hey, at least I did graduate from "uuF" to "pF".  :-+

And this is a resistor.    :-DD :-DD

You call that a resistor? This is a resistor:
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76365 on: November 30, 2020, 01:00:47 pm »
Oooh biscuits. There's a good idea  :-DD

Only he didn't "biscuit", he meant "scone" or "scone".  Bloody Americans! >:D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:08:26 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #76366 on: November 30, 2020, 01:00:53 pm »
Yep.

µF -> alt+m on macOS FTW

Also on German Keyboard, and also ²³  or the ° of  °C... or ô. That's why I believe the German layout is the best, and you can do italian  è é accents too.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:03:04 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76367 on: November 30, 2020, 01:02:33 pm »
The HP 5245L service manual is an interesting read. The neons are used for bit memories as well as decoding in the counter!

Edit: when I look back at that I think of all the pain of worn out neons  :scared:

Money shot from the schematics. To be clear the bit memory is used elsewhere by the looks, not in the final drivers.

Edit 2: transistors are 2n404a's which in ~1965 were $3 a pop approx. That's $24.80 each these days. So each display bit cost $50 today potentially  :-DD. When a decoder IC appeared on the market at $50 a go you can see the sort of scary cost savings the ICs landing had.

And here I am sitting on a machine with 1TiB of solid state storage  :scared:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:13:38 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76368 on: November 30, 2020, 01:10:37 pm »
A few days ago I said I wasn't going to look at the faulty display board from the 5248M counter till I had fixed all the other problems, but playing spot the difference with the readout board from the 5245L and trying that one, I realised the difference is in the neon/photo resistor based decoder section (the board from the 5245L only displays 3,4 & 5). 

Noticing the corrosion on the tube socket I thought I would have a look inside the decoder block to see if it was in the same condition, maybe it needed cleaning to stop the random glow (from all the digits) from the number readout bulb.
How wrong I was, unfortunately damp has got inside the block & eaten away some of the traces on the photo-resistor plate and this plate is the main difference in this display board between the 5248 & the 5245 models. |O

Before & after cleaning with IPA,

Looks like I'm stuck with only 7 usable digits unless/until I can find a replacement.  :(

Nearly everyone blames the neons for faults with these display boards, but in this case it was the photo-resistor & decades of neglect in a damp shed.

David

Hmm, would a plate from a lower decade from a 5245 work? At leat it will do 0-9.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76369 on: November 30, 2020, 01:47:29 pm »
Yep.

µF -> alt+m on macOS FTW

Also on German Keyboard, and also ²³  or the ° of  °C... or ô. That's why I believe the German layout is the best, and you can do italian  è é accents too.

The coolest thing in this regard about using macOS is that if you hold down the key for a letter that frequently takes an accent or that has an alternative form you get a little popup where you're typing that shows all the alternatives and you can pick one with the mouse or the arrow keys.

So hold S and you get ß, ś and š, O will give you ô, ö, ò, ó, œ, ø, ō and õ, and so on. Simplicity itself and you don't have to remember the option-key versions unless you want to, or have frequent recourse to greek letters commonly used as symbols such as Ω, µ, π and so on which don't have a 'hold and wait for it to pop up' version.

There are floating accent keys too, but other than option-u for umlauts I haven't learned any of the others because the pop-up trick is so convenient. The Germans, not Motörhead, have to take the blame for me learning where the umlaut key is and that option-s produces a scharfes S  - ß.

The pop-up trick means forgoing auto-repeat for alphanumeric keys, but how often does one use that? You still get auto-repeat on - and =, the ones that you might actually use.

Using it is so little effort, that's why you'll almost always see me use the strictly correct "rôle" or "dæmon" rather than the lazy versions

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76370 on: November 30, 2020, 02:08:41 pm »

David

An analog binary to to decimal decoder? I'd have to draw that out to get my head around it properly.

The colour balance in the pics makes it a little tricky for us to play along with your spot the difference, the only things I can see are,
1. The 1W or so resistor on its own, 47k on the 5245 board and 10 or 100 ohms? on the 5248 board Grid bias resistor? I don't know enough about VT tech to make a good guess.
2. The four pairs of diodes with their anodes tied to connection 5 on the card edge on the 5245, on the 5248 are an older design and I'd want to check if the polarity markings make sense.
3. The colour coding on the 1-10 outputs from the decoder to the readout tubes is different. Is this because the coding is random and just a way for the assembly tech to make sure terminal 1 goes to pin 1, or is it because the pinout is different?

Given the output side is going to be effectively a ten output exclusive on-off switch, if the pinouts are wrong you're likely to get a scrambled version of what it should display, but without a complete failure to display anything.

Apologies for the difficulty in seeing the colours, reading the resistors on the newer board isn't helped the random orientation, both boards use silicon transistors (the earlier boards use germanium).

1). The board from the 5245L is about 10 years younger, hence the smaller sized diodes.

2). The markings on 47k resistor on the older board have worn off, just a little bit left underneath, it measured just over 50k.

3). You spotted the difference in the wiring for the tube socket, this is exactly as shown in the two manuals, will see if I can add some pictures of the code from the paper manuals, the PDF's I have are shite.

David

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #76371 on: November 30, 2020, 02:15:32 pm »
Americans can't handle more than two Si Units at once without suffering mental overload.

So capacitors are 1000000uF and 15000pF

If the english-speaking world hadn't been so hostile to character sets containing glyphs they don't very often use, they could actually use the proper term, i. e. µF. Greek characters written properly is like using RPN calculators, a coming of age thing  :-DD

The Swedish Professional keyboard mapping on OS X is actually quite sciency; I can reach most EE-useful symbols, like ∏, Ω and µ (Pi, Omega, micro) with just one modifier.

But they will never be as beautiful as if rendered in TEX.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76372 on: November 30, 2020, 02:19:33 pm »

David

Hmm, would a plate from a lower decade from a 5245 work? At leat it will do 0-9.

I first need to have a look at the manuals to determine why the 5245L board only displayed three out of ten digits.

David

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #76373 on: November 30, 2020, 02:20:49 pm »
Yep.

µF -> alt+m on macOS FTW

But Q W E R T Z  :palm:

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #76374 on: November 30, 2020, 02:27:21 pm »

Using it is so little effort, that's why you'll almost always see me use the strictly correct "rôle" or "dæmon" rather than the lazy versions

I make sure to do that too, and to add the ¨ to o in "coöperate" just to make sure nobody ever mistakes me for a Trump voter...

It is a little known fact that extended character sets are illegal in the Bible Belt.  :-DD (just kidding)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf