Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14910641 times)

themadhippy, wkb, bergenhut, TERRA Operative, K0ELB, Robert763, dazz1 and 190 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78950 on: January 06, 2021, 07:55:38 pm »
Guys, all hell is going on in Washington DC right now, Trump supporters have broken into Capital Building live feed is on the YT

:wtf: I knew sooner or later this was going to happen. He's not going leave office peacefully.  |O
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78951 on: January 06, 2021, 07:56:07 pm »
   ...the things we do for the sake of domestic tranquility.   :-DD

mnem
 :-/O

Full details HERE.

Printed the last bin this morning. Wife didn't even let me finish the thing; she's been filling bins as they come off the printer. :o

Vital stats:   230mm W x 210mm D x 130mm H, 1kg filament, 80 printer hours, 6 hours design & post-processing

Teacher wife made all happy with her "Perfect little caddy that fits right where I want it!" : Priceless.

mnem
Next victim...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:58:29 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78952 on: January 06, 2021, 08:09:54 pm »
   https://www.dailykos.com/blogs/Tom%20Tomorrow

mnem
*agitating-ily* >:D

Yeah, err, sorry guys. That fourth panel may be my fault. I had a coughing fit earlier and may accidentally have invoked the Great Old Ones to arise and devour the Earth. Again, apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

"Nafl'fhtagn throdog r'luhhor ng."
I think you can resolve your guilt with a little homemade ciabatta bread.  >:D

So who's responsible for the 2nd panel happening RIGHT NOW...?

mnem
*so glad I'm not in Dumbfuckistan right now*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #78954 on: January 06, 2021, 08:31:44 pm »
<SNIP>
When they run short of cash I'm sure they'll come up with some new idea that must be implemented for "safety reasons"
Nailed it !

Some modern regs are just daft. FFS I live in a 100 yr old house that was retrofitted with power in 1935 when power first came to these parts. Pop was just a lad and said he could remember when incandesant lights were fitted where he grew up which is 100yds from where I am.

In the nearly 40yrs being here not once has there been a need for RCD protection and we're all still alive and the 3 kids we raised also.

if you have never tripped a GFI you haven't worked on enough old TEA  >:D

It is also possible that he's never had a GFI before his suitably old TE.

I tripped mine on the 428b because of a manufacturing fault.

Edit: In the 428b, that is.

Slight swerve:
My workshop has a 3-phase GFI covering all outlets and I fitted it because it is required in new construction. Workshop is in garage, which originally had just a light circuit lit from my house, and a single phase feed for outlets, also fed from the main breaker panel. I put in a new breaker panel fed directly off the meter board and installed fixed outlets (and a system with contactor-operated and motor-protection switched outlets for all three-phase consumers, like drill, lathe and compressor.) in the mechanical workshop as well as in the "fine workshop" where I have computers and electronics. The bench is (mostly) controlled via a contactor, like the outlets in the mechanical workshop. There is also a emergency stop circuit that will kill all appliance and machine power. I also have signal lamps outside showing status of workshop power so I'll not forget them on.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:19:56 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78955 on: January 06, 2021, 08:34:00 pm »
Guys, all hell is going on in Washington DC right now, Trump supporters have broken into Capital Building live feed is on the YT

:wtf: I knew sooner or later this was going to happen. He's not going leave office peacefully.  |O
Right now he is doing untold damage to the reputation of the USA. He wants to become a dictator and I suspect that we could see similar things over here with Johnson when the time comes, they both have the same backers in common and they are also friends together, god help us all it does not help anybody all of this at all.  |O :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #78956 on: January 06, 2021, 08:36:17 pm »
Some modern regs are just daft. FFS I live in a 100 yr old house that was retrofitted with power in 1935 when power first came to these parts. Pop was just a lad and said he could remember when incandesant lights were fitted where he grew up which is 100yds from where I am.

In the nearly 40yrs being here not once has there been a need for RCD protection and we're all still alive and the 3 kids we raised also.
No RCD BS here !

My 99.6yo mother lives in an 1840 house. She recently overflowed a bath on the top floor. "Luckily" the water went down the central ceiling lights of the floors below, not down the walls. Even so, one ceiling light rose started fizzing and became covered in carbon deposits. An IR camera showed there was no smouldering behind the rose.

All in all a very close shave.

If there had been an RCD protection on the 30-60yo wiring, it would have tripped, thus avoiding the fire risk.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #78957 on: January 06, 2021, 08:39:05 pm »
<SNIP>
When they run short of cash I'm sure they'll come up with some new idea that must be implemented for "safety reasons"
Nailed it !

if you have never tripped a GFI you haven't worked on enough old TEA  >:D

It is also possible that he's never had a GFI before his suitably old TE.
:=\
Have access to a 2KVA isolating trannie.  ;)
However it's currently in the mechanical workshop doing duty on an old B&D drill press known to bite according to it's previous owner when he gifted threw it my way.

When you've been playing with things that have the potential to bite you for 50+ years you well learn how to manage risk.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78958 on: January 06, 2021, 08:45:44 pm »

No RCD BS here !

My 99.6yo mother lives in an 1840 house. She recently overflowed a bath on the top floor. "Luckily" the water went down the central ceiling lights of the floors below, not down the walls. Even so, one ceiling light rose started fizzing and became covered in carbon deposits. An IR camera showed there was no smouldering behind the rose.

If there had been an RCD protection on the 30-60yo wiring, it would have tripped, thus avoiding the fire risk.
Yes well there's another good reason why all circuits here are still on the original wired fuses especially lighting circuits where ratus ratus are prone to creating havoc in ceiling spaces.
Single story here where any new builds are also supposed to tank bathrooms like they did in the old days in upstairs bathrooms with lead floor linings and floor wastes.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78959 on: January 06, 2021, 08:56:44 pm »

https://youtu.be/EWpnHADKEb8
Right now he is doing untold damage to the reputation of the USA. He wants to become a dictator and I suspect that we could see similar things over here with Johnson when the time comes, they both have the same backers in common and they are also friends together, god help us all it does not help anybody all of this at all.  |O :palm:

Really... is that even possible...?

As long as he keeps flinging flaming shit everywhere, nobody is noticing the election-tampering that will keep McConnell and his cronies in control of Congress. FFS... that is how bad they are; it takes this level of outrage to distract everyone from the evils they're up to.

At the end of the day, keeping the power they've stolen is all that really matters to them; they couldn't care less if they destroy the nation. They will launch Armageddon before they let go of it, too. :palm:

mnem
Resident Chump is the symptom, not the disease.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78960 on: January 06, 2021, 09:11:05 pm »
The cynic in me says this will all work out in their favor; when Biden takes office and the inevitable investigations and inquiries come... they can claim any evidence uncovered in the Capitol is inadmissible because of these fuckwidgets ransacking the place. :palm:

And so what I really have to wonder is... was it really random wingnuttery, or was it a deliberate attack, planned for precisely this after-effect...?

mnem
Watergate was just a trial run.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78961 on: January 06, 2021, 09:20:12 pm »

No RCD BS here !

Yes well there's another good reason why all circuits here are still on the original wired fuses especially lighting circuits where ratus ratus are prone to creating havoc in ceiling spaces.
Single story here where any new builds are also supposed to tank bathrooms like they did in the old days in upstairs bathrooms with lead floor linings and floor wastes.

The current was too low to blow the 6A fuse (which nominally protects the wiring), but possibly sufficient to start a fire.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78962 on: January 06, 2021, 09:23:38 pm »

Johnson doesn't have the conviction. Give him a plate of cucumber sandwiches and tea (no, not our version, the liquid one) and turn on the cricket coverage and he'd forget what he came for.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78963 on: January 06, 2021, 09:39:39 pm »
This US drama is perfect viewing after The Expanse finished and after my sausages earlier  :popcorn:. As for the disease, much like here, it is the lack of education, critical thinking and reasoning skills that causes these situations.

As for Johnson, his public and private persona are completely different. He's dangerous, decisive and everything is done with intent, even the unintentional looking stuff. If you did give him a cucumber sandwich, he'd fuck your wife and +1 his illegitimate child count (check wikipedia for his statistics)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:41:17 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78964 on: January 06, 2021, 09:47:43 pm »

I was daydreaming designing a building in my head recently; the details aren't relevant. That led me to thinking how you properly tank a room (like a subterranean plant room) with modern materials. All the waterproofing I've seen in recent years relies on polythene, and I'd be very nervous of designing in a plastic barrier that would be guaranteed to survive 50 years, let alone the few hundred years that I reckon most buildings ought to have as a minimum design life. I'd never have given lead a thought, but there are examples of that surviving millennia. Somehow I can't see someone giving approval for lead sheeting in a modern structure.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78965 on: January 06, 2021, 09:52:56 pm »
Split load boards were one of the previous iterations of the IET's money making schemes, first in plastic consumer units, then in metal ones. The latest version is metal consumer units with every circuit protected by an RCBO (combined GFCI and overcurrent device).

When they run short of cash I'm sure they'll come up with some new idea that must be implemented for "safety reasons".

I can assure you that there are some safety benefits from having dual RCD's on boards, they were not just introduced as yet another money making scheme, they were introduced to respond to a specific safety issue and that was rain water ingress into lofts through leaks in the roofs of buildings that while not sufficient to make their presence felt with damp patches becoming visible on ceilings, or worse, water dripping through the ceilings. The problem was that there had been a number of fires being iniated in lofts where water would drip onto the fibreglass wool used in lofts for insulation and this was enough in the vicinity of light fittings to cause tracking and eventually ignition of the wool. I was working for Crabtree Electrical at the time and there seemed to be a few of these fires developing in the housing stock of a local Authority in Essex. In my position as specification engineer for Crabtree whose job it was to work with local authorities and consultant engineers alike, getting Crabtree products written into the specifications of new buildings and also rewires of public buildings. I was asked if Crabtree could develop a solution for this, and it was deemed that the best solution was to develop boards with 100A main isolator, feeding a 100mA RCD feeding a busbar for lighting and other fixed circuits, and also fed from the isolator a 30mA RCD feeding another busbar for sockets and any other circuits needed personal shock protection.

These were duly designed and tested and approved by the LA, and then they were introduced into the catalogue and they then quickly became adopted by other LA's etc and other manufactures produced their own versions. It was then adopted by the IET and became a standard in the regulations.

I was involved in a few other special projects that have since become far more common practise.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:27:22 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78966 on: January 06, 2021, 09:55:10 pm »
Somehow I can't see someone giving approval for lead sheeting in a modern structure.

Still used for roofing and flashing.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78967 on: January 06, 2021, 10:08:08 pm »

I was daydreaming designing a building in my head recently; the details aren't relevant. That led me to thinking how you properly tank a room (like a subterranean plant room) with modern materials. All the waterproofing I've seen in recent years relies on polythene, and I'd be very nervous of designing in a plastic barrier that would be guaranteed to survive 50 years, let alone the few hundred years that I reckon most buildings ought to have as a minimum design life. I'd never have given lead a thought, but there are examples of that surviving millennia. Somehow I can't see someone giving approval for lead sheeting in a modern structure.
Here it's done with grading to a floor waste either by diminishing framing or concrete with an appropriate fall.
Timber flooring under overlays...linoleum, tiling etc must be tanked and typically with a resin pour.
All this assumes the build with be inherently stable for decades so for it not to crack which is where I'd prefer a butanol sheeting or lead to better accommodate any movement.
Trouble is, lead these days is horrifically expensive.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78968 on: January 06, 2021, 10:12:07 pm »
Somehow I can't see someone giving approval for lead sheeting in a modern structure.

Still used for roofing and flashing.
This is true, the flashing above my front porch recently failed because of a shrub that attached itself to it and then tried to grow in the small space behind it. This pulled the flashing out of the mortar and then rainwater, during a really heavy thunderstorm run down the wall, and ran through the wall into the distribution board causing the electrics to crackle and hiss and then disconnect the supply. Had to have an emergency builder come out and replace the lead flashing in order to get the power retored.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #78969 on: January 06, 2021, 10:35:10 pm »

In the swedish long-time storage of nuclear waste there is a combination of cast iron alloyed with magnesium (making it ductile), a layer of copper, and bentonite clay. It is calculated to remain stable for 100000 years when embedded in bentonite-filled chambers 500 metres down in bedrock.

Copper and/or stainless steel with bitumen or similar stabilisers would probably suffice.  Studying construction requirements for Biosafety level 4 laboratories is likely to be useful.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78970 on: January 06, 2021, 10:50:43 pm »
Also pikeys won't nick it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78971 on: January 06, 2021, 10:56:32 pm »
Roger Waters can be a prick at times...actually most of the time....but he got this right.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78972 on: January 06, 2021, 11:24:53 pm »
Nice score; finding one with the caps still on the knobs.  :-+

Gonna find a replacement NE2 indicator, or epoxy the original back together...? I've done both.

mnem
 :-/O
Say, did you just break time here? Or is this NOT a comment on the post AFTER yours?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #78973 on: January 06, 2021, 11:33:47 pm »
Roger Waters can be a prick at times...actually most of the time....but he got this right.  :-+

Hang in there the twiterer in Chief is about out  :'(
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech, med6753

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #78974 on: January 06, 2021, 11:37:20 pm »
I think, I forward this request to a more approbiate place   >:D

Dave is asking for some TEA support:

If anyone knows of any decent test gear that isn't being marketing or distributed well, let me know though. I do want to expand the product portfolio.

Especially if you are having some ideas about a decent LCR-meter.    :-+    :-DD

Edit:
I'd like one, but it's hard find something good without an already well established distribution chain and low prices.
Brymen works because they have pretty horrible marketing and distribution in a lot fo the world, and the margins are good, so they are winners for me.
If anyone knows of a suitable one on the market please let me know, I do want to expand my product portfolio.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:41:54 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf