Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14827908 times)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80825 on: January 27, 2021, 08:11:20 am »
PowerGlide & TH400 both responded well to a few simple performance building tricks; aftermarket parts were very well-developed for both when I was just a kid. The PowerGlide was actually pretty grenade-proof, and properly modded with high-stall TC and HD clutch-paks/bands, was a favorite at the drag-strip for over a decade.

The TH400 was designed from the ground up for Olds, Pontiac & Cadillac's "too-fukkin' big big-blocks" that all delivered stump-pulling torque at low RPMs; bone-stock they were tougher than leather and with the addition of higher pressure regulator and accumulator springs, would deliver shifts so solid they'd snap your neck.

I loved the one I had in my grand-dad's F-150 shoehorned in behind a '70 Cadd-500; even with 3.00 rearend gears from the original OD trans, that thing just jumped forward when it shifted gears. Also, I had a micro-pushbutton embedded in the shifter T-handle to engage the kickdown solenoid when I wanted it.  >:D

mnem
*sigh*

Any idea why the old Powerglides had that distinctive whine or howl when you put them in Park?
Sounds to me like it was just the oil in the torque convertor swirling around under pressure.

If that's the case then I would have expected it to make the same noise when in gear. It doesn't. The whine stops are soon as put in gear.

The difference is backpressure. In PARK the pump is running in bypass mode; this makes the noise from a worn pump and air bubbles much more noticeable. As soon as you put it in gear, it is running under load with considerable backpressure.

Switching to Type F, DexronII or Trick Shift in most cases made this whine go away completely or almost completely.

mnem
 :popcorn:
Yep, that was my thinking as my Vanden Plas 3 Litre had a fluid flywheel / torque convertor and that also exhibited similar noises in PARK position. Like the photo only mine was all black and had been chauffeur driven all its life till I brought it.

You have the original AA badge too! My father drives a Nissan Qashqai with that badge on the front too (looks a bit out of place), but he's welded it inside the car to hopefully stop someone stealing it.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #80826 on: January 27, 2021, 09:18:14 am »
Hmmm.. This on the bench. Nice bit of kit but complex. In addition, not sure if it's worth much. So I'm considering either tossing it on the Bay untested or have one you folks have a go at it.

So, how about it? Anyone interested in spending some quality time with it? For fun, for review, whatever. No strings attached, no obligations. I'm paying for shipping (inside the EU that is...)

I got one of these, picked it up for next to nothing still with valid calibration, well valid until a month or two after I got it.
It's still sitting here after many months and I haven't even turned it on. :D

They are apparently good for testing the resilience of radio gear against jamming amongst many other things.

Yes, I skimmed over the manual - it's a test set for said special purpose, with some interesting internal details. Alas, as often with specialized test sets, not very useful for other tasks than the intended one.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80827 on: January 27, 2021, 10:00:36 am »
Not just another pretty face. Larry has a new look. Broken knobs replaced, sticky push button switches lubed, numerous sticker residues removed, and general spit and polish. This 485 has led a rough life and was ape handled by multiple Gorillas.  :o

Next on the agenda. Line cord needs some attention and then pull the rear panel and find out what the fan is rubbing against. Stay tuned.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80828 on: January 27, 2021, 10:04:02 am »
I'm wondering: where do you buy those nice yellow protectors?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80829 on: January 27, 2021, 10:12:17 am »
If anyone can beat it back into shape the Med can !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80831 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:42 am »
I'm wondering: where do you buy those nice yellow protectors?

If you don't need them to be yellow: https://www.reichelt.de/de/de/staubschutz-fuer-bnc-buchse-10-stueck-delock-64022-p207488.html?PROVID=2788&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp-_51fC77gIVCbrtCh0o3QCaEAQYASABEgI-PPD_BwE&&r=1

McBryce.

Cool, thanks!

The colour is mir wurscht. :) Transparent ones are fine with me.   :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80833 on: January 27, 2021, 12:53:18 pm »
Wow that was real quick, I listed a Solartron 7150 Plus yesterday on the bay and it has already been snapped up, perhaps I undersold it, listed it at £110 BIN and there are 3 others (but the Plus model) up for sale at £70 each BIN for parts/repair. Something tells me that I undersold it, oh well, its done now.  :palm:

You can get a 7150 Plus from a dealer for £90 inc VAT  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80834 on: January 27, 2021, 12:57:14 pm »
Wow that was real quick, I listed a Solartron 7150 Plus yesterday on the bay and it has already been snapped up, perhaps I undersold it, listed it at £110 BIN and there are 3 others (but the Plus model) up for sale at £70 each BIN for parts/repair. Something tells me that I undersold it, oh well, its done now.  :palm:

You can, where?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80835 on: January 27, 2021, 01:20:52 pm »

You can, where?

Well I don't want to revels my sources, but this a a snip of their current advert.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80836 on: January 27, 2021, 01:38:57 pm »
Fairly obvious that one  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #80837 on: January 27, 2021, 02:04:55 pm »
Or you might prefer their hp34401a for £275-325 :) That's lower than many of the prices I've seen at the Ramco auctions.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80838 on: January 27, 2021, 02:14:56 pm »
From experience what they advertise is never in stock.

Also don’t forget +delivery (usually around 20-25) then VAT.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80839 on: January 27, 2021, 02:36:00 pm »
Today's Lesson: never trust HR.

4 days of phone calls later:
"oh yeah, we forgot to include in the job offer the relocation costs from EU to US, but they are covered"

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:38:29 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, tonyalbus

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80840 on: January 27, 2021, 02:59:50 pm »

Yes very obvious (mentioned on another forum only couple of days ago on a wanted post), but I don't think I've ever bought anything from them.

David

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80841 on: January 27, 2021, 03:16:27 pm »
Also have something much older and more unusual from a local seller, a GEC Resistance & Capacity Bridge, can't find much about this one at all, it does mention using Selectest for measuring leakage current but doesn't mention if it was made by them, possibly much less common than the Hunts ones.
   David

Good for you! I hope you love it as much as I do my 54645A! The only downside I could see from the spec sheet is the small 5K memory depth; OTOH, sampling at that kind of speed probably did hit a number of brick walls in terms of just what could be done using current tech without bending the laws of physics. Or becoming a money-sink the size of the national debt. ;)

That bridge does interest me quite a bit; it reminds me very much of a cap analyzer I used to own. Hope you can get it working; I've always had a soft spot in my heart for those tuning-eye tubes.  ;D

mnem
*toddles off to be... parental*

Some more pictures of the GEC Resistance & Capacity Bridge, I'm currently replacing some of the capacitors and plan to add a fuse inside as this seems to predate safety.  :o

Lots of war surplus parts in this, the two block capacitors test OK, but most others are now nice resistors.

What's this strange F marking on this capacitor.  :-DD

David
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:20:52 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, med6753, Kosmic

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80842 on: January 27, 2021, 03:21:00 pm »
From experience what they advertise is never in stock.

Also don’t forget +delivery (usually around 20-25) then VAT.

My £90 includes Vat on £75. Postage varies. This is the current ad not the stock lists.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80843 on: January 27, 2021, 03:27:22 pm »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80844 on: January 27, 2021, 03:49:49 pm »

Yes very obvious (mentioned on another forum only couple of days ago on a wanted post), but I don't think I've ever bought anything from them.

David

I've bought from them for over 30 years, personally and for work and never had any issues. Not had much from hem recently though.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80845 on: January 27, 2021, 04:57:06 pm »
Yeh, I know, I have had it confirmed that it was the place that I thought it was, special offer, as tested, no leads etc and more than likely still with the old time bomb intact etc etc.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80846 on: January 27, 2021, 05:46:24 pm »
No pictures but rear panel was removed from Larry and the fan was hitting the grille. Reason: slightly bent rear panel. Fix: Friendly persuasion with some well placed blows with a BFH took care of the problem. Fan now silent. New strain relief installed on line cord which is a real challenge to get seated when you don't have the proper strain relief install tool. But it's finally done and secure. The line cord is also separating from the plug. Don't have a replacement plug handy. I'll have to get one from the local home center.

Tomorrow start on the functional issues...which at first glance appear to be quite a few. But the first and overwhelming issue is the fixed maximum intensity on the CRT. I have a suspicion that the CRT itself might have an internal short. But we'll see. I do have a spare CRT so no worries if it is duff.

That's it for today.   

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80848 on: January 27, 2021, 06:20:50 pm »
Here's a couple for you to fix and flip bd:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS-3014B-100Mz-1-25-GS-s-4ch-DPO-Faulty-Spares-or-Repair/164665558055
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-2430A-150-MHz-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope/114651847082

Seen both. Don't fancy the risk. CCD fail on the 2430 means finding unobtainium ICs. The 3014B is probably hosed flash or motherboard at which point forget it. No schematics available and I CBA to reverse engineer it.

I'm lazy and I know when I'm going to be defeated  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80849 on: January 27, 2021, 07:14:16 pm »
Here's a couple for you to fix and flip bd:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS-3014B-100Mz-1-25-GS-s-4ch-DPO-Faulty-Spares-or-Repair/164665558055
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-2430A-150-MHz-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope/114651847082

Seen both. Don't fancy the risk. CCD fail on the 2430 means finding unobtainium ICs. The 3014B is probably hosed flash or motherboard at which point forget it. No schematics available and I CBA to reverse engineer it.

I'm lazy and I know when I'm going to be defeated  :-DD

Correct, the CCD fail on the 2430A is fubar'ed hybrid's. I got lucky in finding some for my 2430.   

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf