Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15715015 times)

shakalnokturn and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82800 on: February 17, 2021, 03:30:01 pm »
Make sure you take photos of it in the box etc  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82801 on: February 17, 2021, 03:33:34 pm »
There are so many unboxing videos on YT, why not doing a boxing video?
"How to pack things properly - Lesson 1: choosing the proper materials"

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, syau, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82802 on: February 17, 2021, 03:36:23 pm »
That's not a bad idea actually. Might do that  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82803 on: February 17, 2021, 03:39:27 pm »
All these horror stories is one reason why I have not ventured into the selling side of Ebay. The other reason is I'm a hoarder and I don't want to sell anything.  :P :-DD

In the rare occasions that I do sell something it's one on one communication usually with someone (like a blog member) that "I know" and everything is pre-arranged. (Shipment method, payment, etc)

Or it's local via Craigs List and it's face to face and cash is king.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82804 on: February 17, 2021, 04:07:36 pm »
Make sure you take photos of it in the box etc  :-DD
Which I always do, oh and don't forget to also include in the photo a piece of paper with your username and the date handwritten on it as well, and also include another photo of it being boxed with the packing slip showing the buyers name and address and your bit of paper and then also a photo of the outside of the box, all sealed up with the address label stuck to it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82805 on: February 17, 2021, 04:08:05 pm »
All these horror stories is one reason why I have not ventured into the selling side of Ebay. The other reason is I'm a hoarder and I don't want to sell anything.  :P :-DD

In the rare occasions that I do sell something it's one on one communication usually with someone (like a blog member) that "I know" and everything is pre-arranged. (Shipment method, payment, etc)

The TE crowds on ebay are not that bad. I Sold couple of things and never had any problems.

When I sell random stuff though, I try to do that on kijiji (similar to craigslist over here). Pickup is in person, they can inspect the item and they pay $. And its pretty clear that there is no return.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82806 on: February 17, 2021, 04:11:19 pm »

Its not that bad, I've been selling for years now and have had very little trouble in reality, and the rewards are far greater if you do it right and make a profit.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82807 on: February 17, 2021, 04:16:55 pm »

The TE crowds on ebay are not that bad. I Sold couple of things and never had any problems.

When I sell random stuff though, I try to do that on kijiji (similar to craigslist over here). Pickup is in person, they can inspect the item and they pay $. And its pretty clear that there is no return.
Yeah, trouble is though, that we are not really supposed to make trips to collect items like that anymore with the current pandemic, some police forces have a habit of stopping drivers and asking where they are going and for what purpose. We over here have had cases where the buyers have been issued with fines because they were not going out food shopping, all other trips are deemed none essential unless going for medical reasons, i.e. doctor/hospital/dentist appointments or collecting medication.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82808 on: February 17, 2021, 04:21:39 pm »

There's a lot of sketchy peoples on local ads though. I was trying to sell my old Lecroy scope once. Since it's huge and the front panel really fragile, I wanted to avoid shipping and sell locally. One guys started asking question and trying to negotiate the price. Took some time but we finally agreed on a price. Then he ask me if I could deliver it since he is living 2:30h away  :palm: Then we agree to meet in a parking lot not too far from where I live. Then he started complaining that he will not be able to try the scope in the parking lot, so I had to make a video. Then he didn't want to pay $. Said that having 500$ in his pocket was too much  :palm: :palm: and finally started saying that I was selling stolen goods. At this point I just hitted the ignore button and sold the scope to someone else.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:31:53 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82809 on: February 17, 2021, 04:26:37 pm »

Yeah, trouble is though, that we are not really supposed to make trips to collect items like that anymore with the current pandemic, some police forces have a habit of stopping drivers and asking where they are going and for what purpose. We over here have had cases where the buyers have been issued with fines because they were not going out food shopping, all other trips are deemed none essential unless going for medical reasons, i.e. doctor/hospital/dentist appointments or collecting medication.

Yes, it's working when you are not in lockdown. Traveling (by car) over here is at your discretion. You should try to avoid but they don't enforce anything.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82810 on: February 17, 2021, 04:30:44 pm »
Oh yes there are some proper nasty folk on local ads.

A friend of mine was nearly mugged for a GPU about 20 years ago in McDonalds car park. He handed it over at knife point. Problem is you don't bring a knife to a car fight so he was knocked on his arse and the GPU recovered fairly painlessly in the end.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #82811 on: February 17, 2021, 04:33:36 pm »
so quite frankly it was unsealed and stolen in transit most likely by Hermes.

I am a victim of stole items in transit as well. We should all pack dog shit and send it to some random jewelery shop. Once a month.

Yes I filed a claim to Herpes providing pics, yes it was another waste of time, no response since 7,5 months.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:35:10 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82812 on: February 17, 2021, 04:46:05 pm »

Now when I was a teenager this was legal because I used to get pulled over all the time for stupid shit.  :-DD But in the years that past since then there have been court cases where the decision is that the cops must have "reasonable case" to pull you over. Traffic violation, flagged as stolen, etc. Simply being a long haired hippie doesn't qualify.  :P

So.....that random pulling over going on over there is highly illegal over here.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82813 on: February 17, 2021, 04:47:34 pm »

A friend of mine was nearly mugged for a GPU about 20 years ago in McDonalds car park. He handed it over at knife point. Problem is you don't bring a knife to a car fight so he was knocked on his arse and the GPU recovered fairly painlessly in the end.  :-DD

Never any problems selling locally except one time some stupid bitch never showed up.  ::)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #82814 on: February 17, 2021, 04:49:57 pm »
Seems I'm falling in the RF black hole. Buying a better RF cable to check the device that is supposed to check another device. :palm:

I think you need a calibrated Cesium Beam and nothing less  :-DD

No TE lab is complete without a radiation sourced frequency standard; preferably without the GNSS abstraction layer.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82815 on: February 17, 2021, 04:52:37 pm »
Automatic transmissions should be banned as dangerous. A little old lady just mistook the gas for the brake and drove into the side of a building. Happens more often than you realize.  :P :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82816 on: February 17, 2021, 05:01:23 pm »

Never any problems selling locally except one time some stupid bitch never showed up.  ::)
I've had happen dozens of times over here as well, even when I'm actually giving stuff away from on one of the local "trash nothing" websites. On the other hand, I have won a lot of excellent stuff on those sites, even though the items were supposed to have been claimed by someone saying that they wanted them. These days, when I reply to someone giving away something good, I say that if the item has been promised already, that if they don't show up, then if they offer it to me, I will show up and collect,  and I do. Have had many items on the rebound so to speak  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82817 on: February 17, 2021, 05:04:40 pm »
Automatic transmissions should be banned as dangerous. A little old lady just mistook the gas for the brake and drove into the side of a building. Happens more often than you realize.  :P :-DD
That would still happen with what you Mericans call a "Stick Shift" just the same, unless of course you cheat and move the positions of the gas and brake pedals  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82818 on: February 17, 2021, 05:05:54 pm »

Yeah; otherwise you get a case where some guy is supposed to be sending you a counter and you get a sig gen, prehistoric nixie meter, various components, the kitchen sink, etc as well in the box... >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #82819 on: February 17, 2021, 05:20:19 pm »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82820 on: February 17, 2021, 05:23:28 pm »
Mmmmmmm... Brymen (rhymes with hymen); how can you possibly go wrong...?  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #82821 on: February 17, 2021, 05:26:56 pm »
I PM Tony, long time not seen performing at the TEA Stage, I hope he is all right.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, tonyalbus

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82822 on: February 17, 2021, 05:31:03 pm »
I noticed that Amazon delivery folks are taking pictures of the package where they dropped it off, these days.

That is actually really helpful and all the courier companies should do that to prove that they delivered where they say they delivered.

I had a mis-delivery from Amazon and could clearly see in the picture that it was nowhere near where I live...  -  Full refund ensued, even though the item was flagged as "delivered".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82823 on: February 17, 2021, 05:34:11 pm »
Now when I was a teenager this was legal because I used to get pulled over all the time for stupid shit.  :-DD But in the years that past since then there have been court cases where the decision is that the cops must have "reasonable case" to pull you over. Traffic violation, flagged as stolen, etc. Simply being a long haired hippie doesn't qualify.  :P

So.....that random pulling over going on over there is highly illegal over here.

Yeah, unless they pull you over for driving/walking/standing/shopping while black/brown. Then it can be a capital offense.  :palm:

And while not as prevalent as the in the South, it does still happen in your neck of the woods, I'm afraid.

mnem
"Accountability" is a 4-letter word.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82824 on: February 17, 2021, 05:37:57 pm »
I noticed that Amazon delivery folks are taking pictures of the package where they dropped it off, these days.

That is actually really helpful and all the courier companies should do that to prove that they delivered where they say they delivered.

I had a mis-delivery from Amazon and could clearly see in the picture that it was nowhere near where I live...  -  Full refund ensued, even though the item was flagged as "delivered".

Amazon refund or resend always. I’ve had stuff delivered to the wrong house and they send another item out instantly usually. If you’re lucky the person who unexpectedly finds the original package in their recycling box after three days will drop it off to your place. Has happened a couple of times here  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf