Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15723673 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84225 on: March 02, 2021, 07:45:04 am »
That is a miracle.l!

I’m still arguing with my one. The poor guy has actually been cut off by Hermes entirely so he’s down £120. So I’ve raised it with Packlink off my own back. Amusingly Packlink almost instantly refunded me the delivery fee minus insurance so I’m up £5 already. Wasn’t expecting that.

The UPS stuck in Germany is still under investigation. UPS have marked it as lost on their tracking though. Apparently the case times out tomorrow so will see what happens.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #84226 on: March 02, 2021, 08:17:18 am »
New arrival today with its older brother.
Nerd mugs!
I need a NASA mug😁
Edit, FYI the mug photo on the left is a micro photo of an LTZ1000
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Mortymore, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84227 on: March 02, 2021, 08:34:09 am »
I'm having two of the LTZ1000 mugs, they arrived yesterday (now they are in the dishwasher) :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84228 on: March 02, 2021, 08:51:00 am »
That is a nice one that is!

Toellner TOE 8735-2
starting bid: 199.- Euro, currently zero bids.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133680309577

And, as usual: NAWTS.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #84229 on: March 02, 2021, 08:56:02 am »

Indeed. It's got 10 turn pots, not that digital encoder rubbish ;)

There's another one, but the price is a bit on the high side (as all the other stuff from that seller too):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/TOELLNER-TOE-8752-Dual-Power-Supply-2x-0-32VDC-2x-0-5A-320W/254880538392

I used to have this particular model (8752, 2x32V) at a former job and I really liked it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:57:43 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84230 on: March 02, 2021, 09:00:43 am »

There's another one, but the price is a bit on the high side (as all the other stuff from that seller too):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/TOELLNER-TOE-8752-Dual-Power-Supply-2x-0-32VDC-2x-0-5A-320W/254880538392

I used to have this particular model (8752, 2x32V) at a former job and I really liked it.

:-DD

Was scanning the offerings from that seller five minutes ago.  :-+

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84231 on: March 02, 2021, 09:18:42 am »

My god, I bought the same one last year for 60€ and I was not sure if it was worth  the money   :palm:

This psu is really  nice. The only bad thing  is that all trimmers are multi-turns and if you have to go from 5v to 30v you have to turn the knob like a crazy.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84232 on: March 02, 2021, 09:22:56 am »
It's been about 6 hours since my last post and I wake up to air temp about 17 F and winds howling in excess of 40 MPH. That gives an equivalent wind chill of about -5 F or -21 C. Clocks are flashing again so power must have dipped again at least once. And I can feel a cold draft in here. Welcome to March.  ::)

Oh well. At least power stayed on and have heat. (So far). Many don't. And this wind advisory is in place until 13:00 hours today. (04:30 hours currently).

They say Spring is just around the corner.  :phew:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84233 on: March 02, 2021, 09:41:35 am »
At least this one seems like it is only a short nasty blast. Still not good with so many still getting over the last :--

I also have one of these but here is one in the USA  >:D eBay auction: #392659657016

That was the first frequency counter I ever used!

From memory mine was ex PMG and there is some info online as to the history of their use.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84234 on: March 02, 2021, 10:44:08 am »
Made some 4-wire test leads on the 3d-printer today. Nice to find shorts on pcb and to measure shunt resistors. Measures the difference between 2 and 3 cm pcb trace just fine on a 6 1/2 digit DMM.
Tips are cheap chinese pogo pins (P100-F1 or P100-B1 or P100-Q1)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot, beanflying, Kosmic, dl6lr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84235 on: March 02, 2021, 11:15:46 am »
I was sleeping and something woke me up. My box fan had shut down and restarted. Clocks flashing. We are having one hell of a wind storm here. Scanner is going nuts with trees down. As I was typing this power dipped again but came back up. Have to wait for my router to reboot.

And I log on here and see all that blue tossed in boxes. I r sad.  :-[

If that smaller pallet were to be delivered to me you would never hear from me again because I would have died and gone to heaven.  :-DD   
If that pallet were delivered to you, I, for one, would sincerely hope that we would still have regular reports from you on your progress, we simply cannot have super contributors going AWOL. The thread relies on the super contributors and their regular postings with useful items to entice the newer members on board.
I see there is also a reasonable amount of grey in those boxes as well, no doubt should they wind up at your place that they would soon be receiving a fresh new coat of Krylon Gloss Bahama Sea  :-DD

One other thing, I reckon if theey were to appear at the Med mansion, you'd be better off doing a swap of flats with your downstairs neighbour, otherwise with that amount of extra weight, you'd both be sharing the ground floor flat for sure  >:D :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #84237 on: March 02, 2021, 11:47:24 am »
What about if I put a 10mA RCD to save my ass on the entire mains on my bench TEA.
Now I have a 30 mA but there is an angel on my right shoulder telling me:"Go for 10mA, go for 10mA...".

Yes sometime I play with 230VAC mains  >:D

That might come around to bite you on the arse in terms of nuisance tripping. Aside from the cumulative earth leakage currents from a few SMPSs, you're quite likely to see excessive earth leakage on something you put on the bench to repair. An old Y capacitor made by everybody's favourite X & Y capacitor manufacturer comes to mind as an obvious example.

I have a 10mA on my bench (together with a 6A fuse), but only for the DUT. Hardly ever trips when not needed. But I agree, with the full bench on it it would trip too often.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84238 on: March 02, 2021, 11:53:40 am »

One other thing, I reckon if theey were to appear at the Med mansion, you'd be better off doing a swap of flats with your downstairs neighbour, otherwise with that amount of extra weight, you'd both be sharing the ground floor flat for sure  >:D :-DD :-DD

The downstairs apartment would be perfect. 4 bedrooms, large living room, kitchen/dining room, and direct indoor access to the laundry room. However, there's a husband/wife and 4 noisy kids (one an infant). I don't think they would fit in my place too well plus they would be above me. Nope.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84239 on: March 02, 2021, 11:58:30 am »
I recently managed to win amongst the heaps of worn out, over priced crap that eBay seems to have become of late, a rather tasty TMK 500, a  30,000opv DC and 15,000opv AC analogue meter. I have one of these buried somewhere under a few metric tons of bits and bobs from my Mums estate which I had to clear out a few years ago and still have to do the final sifting through. Anyway this one from eBay was listed as the ohms ranges were giving full scale deflection but unable to get anything on the other ranges.

Thinking that the movement was sound, the problem was more likely going to be either a dodgy contact or worst case scenario. a blown track on the PCB, which as you can see clearly was not the case.

Then I noticed that the switch contact was missing altogether, I'm not going to be able to get one of these as a spare, so now the hunt is on for some suitable material to try and cobble together a new contact from  :palm:

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, factory, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84240 on: March 02, 2021, 12:01:17 pm »

The downstairs apartment would be perfect. 4 bedrooms, large living room, kitchen/dining room, and direct indoor access to the laundry room. However, there's a husband/wife and 4 noisy kids (one an infant). I don't think they would fit in my place too well plus they would be above me. Nope.  :-DD
If you move that amount of gear in upstairs, you'll be joining them downstairs before you reach for your can of blue, whether you wanted to or not, fact. :-DD
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 12:04:19 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84241 on: March 02, 2021, 12:17:02 pm »
For these sorts of smaller jellybean counters it is worth trawling ebay.com for a cheap freight one. A few of mine were only $30-40 AUD for post. I landed the HP 5302A for under $100

If you're not blinded by the hp logo these are decent counters and they don't come in fugly cases.  :D

That does not quite match a HP 5314A. Same number of digits (7) but no level control on 2nd input and no ratio. More of a RF counter than universal. The 520MHz range is  plus but let down by 7 digits and needs the TCXO to be useful.
A 5315/6 A/B is miles ahead of the Fluke with 8 digits, reciprocal counting more functions, but only 100MHz.
The Fluke would be an option if you wanted a small counter for both RF and very basic function counting but other than cost a 3 input universal like a later Racal or 5316A/B with the 1GHz option would be a better counter overall.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84242 on: March 02, 2021, 12:18:24 pm »
I also have one of these but here is one in the USA  >:D eBay auction: #392659657016

bean.....you are evil.

hmmmmmmmm.  about an hour and 10 minutes.  free local pickup. 

what should i offer?
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84243 on: March 02, 2021, 01:16:53 pm »
For these sorts of smaller jellybean counters it is worth trawling ebay.com for a cheap freight one. A few of mine were only $30-40 AUD for post. I landed the HP 5302A for under $100

If you're not blinded by the hp logo these are decent counters and they don't come in fugly cases.  :D

The problem with these counters is a distinct lack of digits
Who let Murphy in?

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #84244 on: March 02, 2021, 01:18:34 pm »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.

Dang.

I might m.. well, I shouldn't, really, but.. It's.. OOooohhhHh!

Oh God.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #84245 on: March 02, 2021, 01:28:55 pm »
I have a 10mA on my bench (together with a 6A fuse), but only for the DUT. Hardly ever trips when not needed. But I agree, with the full bench on it it would trip too often.

Brilliant! I can install it in my main var trafo that I use to repair mains stuff!!!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84246 on: March 02, 2021, 01:58:22 pm »

That does not quite match a HP 5314A. Same number of digits (7) but no level control on 2nd input and no ratio. More of a RF counter than universal. The 520MHz range is  plus but let down by 7 digits and needs the TCXO to be useful.
A 5315/6 A/B is miles ahead of the Fluke with 8 digits, reciprocal counting more functions, but only 100MHz.
The Fluke would be an option if you wanted a small counter for both RF and very basic function counting but other than cost a 3 input universal like a later Racal or 5316A/B with the 1GHz option would be a better counter overall.

The problem with these counters is a distinct lack of digits

Well excuse me.  :P I didn't mean to imply that they could be used as a bench standard or any other fancy pants applications. Consider them the "3.5 digit" or quick and dirty measurement. Nothing more. Geez.....tough crowd. I think I'll fold my tent and go home.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84247 on: March 02, 2021, 02:21:29 pm »

bean.....you are evil.

what should i offer?

They are shits of things to use in real life, as the funny stepped readout is hard to read!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84248 on: March 02, 2021, 02:25:03 pm »

bean.....you are evil.

what should i offer?

They are shits of things to use in real life, as the funny stepped readout is hard to read!

Looks like my little cube furnace. Any hollow-state in it to keep your toes toasty? :o

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:30:15 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84249 on: March 02, 2021, 03:01:09 pm »

bean.....you are evil.

what should i offer?

Looks like my little cube furnace. Any hollow-state in it to keep your toes toasty? :o

mnem
 :-/O

Nah!---------unlesss you count the incandescent lamps that make up the readout.
There are six vertical columns with lamps behind glass lenses marked 0-----9.

If you are, for, instance, looking at a frequency of 191919 kHz, you read the first "1" from the second row of the first column, go up to the top of the next column for the "9", then down again for the next "1" & so on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf