Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15713925 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84250 on: March 02, 2021, 03:34:38 pm »
If that smaller pallet were to be delivered to me you would never hear from me again because I would have died and gone to heaven.  :-DD   

Are you trying to bribe us to have a whip round to make that happen?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84251 on: March 02, 2021, 03:35:05 pm »
I also have one of these but here is one in the USA  >:D eBay auction: #392659657016

That was the first frequency counter I ever used!

bean.....you are evil.

hmmmmmmmm.  about an hour and 10 minutes.  free local pickup. 

what should i offer?

They are shits of things to use in real life, as the funny stepped readout is hard to read!

Looks like my little cube furnace. Any hollow-state in it to keep your toes toasty? :o

mnem
 :-/O

Nah!---------unlesss you count the incandescent lamps that make up the readout.
There are six vertical columns with lamps behind glass lenses marked 0-----9.

If you are, for, instance, looking at a frequency of 191919 kHz, you read the first "1" from the second row of the first column, go up to the top of the next column for the "9", then down again for the next "1" & so on.

http://madrona.ca/e/edte/RacalSA520/index.html     the little brother.

boards are soldered together?  digits are back-lit with incandescent bulbs?  crap connectors on the front and rear?

gotta say that is putting me off a little.

and the offset handle just looks wonky as shit.  am guessing that is where the center of gravity is located?

not even a sniff of hp goodness or design in this poor little hopeless looking thing.

but still, i do have a record of rooting for the underdog.

free range primate

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84252 on: March 02, 2021, 03:37:11 pm »
so quite frankly it was unsealed and stolen in transit most likely by Hermes.

I am a victim of stole items in transit as well. We should all pack dog shit and send it to some random jewelery shop. Once a month.

Yes I filed a claim to Herpes providing pics, yes it was another waste of time, no response since 7,5 months.

Item in transit was stolen by Herpes GB in June 2020. They are refunding me the full amount of the lost goods in March 2021.

I will give thanks to the Blessed Holy Mary for the miracle.

It says everything about us lot that I thought "That's a strangely tall can of beer." until I had a closer look.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84253 on: March 02, 2021, 03:39:20 pm »
If that smaller pallet were to be delivered to me you would never hear from me again because I would have died and gone to heaven.  :-DD   

Are you trying to bribe us to have a whip round to make that happen?  :)

Hint.  >:D :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84254 on: March 02, 2021, 03:42:42 pm »
I also have one of these but here is one in the USA  >:D eBay auction: #392659657016

bean.....you are evil.

what should i offer?

They are shits of things to use in real life, as the funny stepped readout is hard to read!

Looks like my little cube furnace. Any hollow-state in it to keep your toes toasty? :o

mnem

If you are, for, instance, looking at a frequency of 191919 kHz, you read the first "1" from the second row of the first column, go up to the top of the next column for the "9", then down again for the next "1" & so on.

boards are soldered together?  digits are back-lit with incandescent bulbs?  crap connectors on the front and rear?

and the offset handle just looks wonky as shit.  am guessing that is where the center of gravity is located?

not even a sniff of hp goodness or design in this poor little hopeless looking thing.

Funny how the crowd is drooling over that totally useless piece of shit yet when I propose some useful units for consideration we get whining. "Not enough digits". "Not enough function". "Doesn't wipe my ass".   :palm: ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:47:45 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84255 on: March 02, 2021, 03:46:24 pm »
It's been about 6 hours since my last post and I wake up to air temp about 17 F and winds howling in excess of 40 MPH. That gives an equivalent wind chill of about -5 F or -21 C. Clocks are flashing again so power must have dipped again at least once. And I can feel a cold draft in here. Welcome to March.  ::)

Oh well. At least power stayed on and have heat. (So far). Many don't. And this wind advisory is in place until 13:00 hours today. (04:30 hours currently).

They say Spring is just around the corner.  :phew:

That'll be 'spring' in the same vein as the "Spring surprise" in the Whizzo Chocolate Company assortment of Monty Python fame, will it? Here, have a crunchy frog...

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84256 on: March 02, 2021, 03:51:05 pm »
That'll be 'spring' in the same vein as the "Spring surprise" in the Whizzo Chocolate Company assortment of Monty Python fame, will it? Here, have a crunchy frog...

If we took the bones off, it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?
What's this? Cockroach clusters? Superintendent Vomit will taste one...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #84257 on: March 02, 2021, 03:54:17 pm »
It's been about 6 hours since my last post and I wake up to air temp about 17 F and winds howling in excess of 40 MPH. That gives an equivalent wind chill of about -5 F or -21 C. Clocks are flashing again so power must have dipped again at least once. And I can feel a cold draft in here. Welcome to March.  ::)

Oh well. At least power stayed on and have heat. (So far). Many don't. And this wind advisory is in place until 13:00 hours today. (04:30 hours currently).

They say Spring is just around the corner.  :phew:

Yeah, it's been blowing like mad here since late yesterday, too.  Thankfully I was finally able to get the tree that split in last summers storm taken down at the beginning of the year, otherwise I'd bet it would have come down during the night.  Had a glitch during the night here, too, as the stove clock is waiting to be reset.  Let's hope that March gets its 'lion' phase out of its system quickly and switches to 'lamb' soon.  Since those trees came down narrowly missing everything in August I'm now paranoid every time the wind howls.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84258 on: March 02, 2021, 04:32:53 pm »
I recently managed to win amongst the heaps of worn out, over priced crap that eBay seems to have become of late, a rather tasty TMK 500, a  30,000opv DC and 15,000opv AC analogue meter. I have one of these buried somewhere under a few metric tons of bits and bobs from my Mums estate which I had to clear out a few years ago and still have to do the final sifting through. Anyway this one from eBay was listed as the ohms ranges were giving full scale deflection but unable to get anything on the other ranges.

Thinking that the movement was sound, the problem was more likely going to be either a dodgy contact or worst case scenario. a blown track on the PCB, which as you can see clearly was not the case.

Then I noticed that the switch contact was missing altogether, I'm not going to be able to get one of these as a spare, so now the hunt is on for some suitable material to try and cobble together a new contact from  :palm:

A bit of EMC shielding fingerstock maybe?

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #84259 on: March 02, 2021, 06:07:08 pm »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.

You are a dangerous man!

About 15 hours away from me.  This may seem crazy, but I am somewhat tempted to go for it.
I have a truck & trailer that could handle it all.
The part I would have trouble to handle is the reaction of SWMBO if I came home with all that.  I would have to turn it around fairly quickly....

EDIT:  I have requested the list of items in this auction lot.  This is getting dangerous....
I wonder if I could cram this into the truck without a trailer; it would be easier this way in winter and fuel economy?
Looking at the details, there are 3 bidders so far, but it does look like low-balling so far...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:42:41 pm by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84260 on: March 02, 2021, 06:23:56 pm »
Send me one  :-DD

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84261 on: March 02, 2021, 06:25:51 pm »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.

You are a dangerous man!

About 15 hours away from me.  This may seem crazy, but I am somewhat tempted to go for it.
The part I would have trouble to handle is the reaction of SWMBO if I came home with all that.  I would have to turn it around fairly quickly....

Are the maritime provinces still stopping anyone from Quebec on west from coming in though?  It might not be possible to drive to Nova Scotia still.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:36:26 pm by 25 CPS »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #84263 on: March 02, 2021, 07:02:26 pm »

You are a dangerous man!

Are the maritime provinces still stopping anyone from Quebec on west from coming in though?  It might not be possible to drive to Nova Scotia still.

Good question; I read up on the travel restrictions.  I could do it legally, but it means living out of the truck and minimizing stops for gas, toilet & food only.
There is a protocol for contactless pick-up.

EDIT:  Darn.  New Brunswick is not allowing travel.   The only way to get there without going through the USA is Quebec through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:12:09 pm by cyclin_al »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84264 on: March 02, 2021, 07:10:27 pm »

bean.....you are evil.

what should i offer?

mnem

Funny how the crowd is drooling over that totally useless piece of shit yet when I propose some useful units for consideration we get whining. "Not enough digits". "Not enough function". "Doesn't wipe my ass".   :palm: ;D ;D

now be fair med.  the freqq never criticized fluke counters.

for what they are, they are very useful devices.   for radio stuff you mostly do not need all those superfluous digits.  in my experience with fluke counters they had pretty good trigger level set circuits.  and they were all orders of magnitude better than that racal POS.

BUT having said that.......the hp5315a/16a was much better still (and oh by the way.......the 5314a was a disappointment despite the HP badge).

end of rant.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84265 on: March 02, 2021, 07:16:20 pm »

Good question; I read up on the travel restrictions.  I could do it legally, but it means living out of the truck and minimizing stops for gas, toilet & food only.
There is a protocol for contactless pick-up.

The pickup would be the least of my concerns.  I'd be more worried about being turned around at the eastern edge of Quebec and not be able to arrive; the stories out there from all over Canada about people getting in trouble or being stopped when doing legitimate things like this are have been too prevalent and widespread to ignore as one-offs that are a rare exception.

Honestly, the way the whole pandemic has been handled is extremely disappointing.  Instead of confronting it head on and figuring out how to work around it reasonably safely, the fear mongering got turned up to 11 and everyone's hiding under their bed like a scared housecat.  Can you imagine if there were no vaccines yet and we were going to have to deal, or as it turns out go sideways, long term?  And I include GCSurplus in my critique that this has been mishandled.  How long ago did they start offering shipping on some items?  It's always been very few items that shipping has been made available for.  If travelling in general is so undesirable, if doing business face to face is so undesirable, you'd think the pandemic would finally be the thing to get them to finally at last step it up on shipping to minimize the amount of travel to their sites and in person pickups.  Apparently not, not even a year into the pandemic.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #84266 on: March 02, 2021, 07:19:56 pm »
Just to stay on topic, do they use a shavel to organize those scopes in card boxes?

Which reminds me....
I need a lot of pink bubble wrap for all my TEA puppies, I do not trust the relocation service monkey at all.
Any suggestions where to buy tons of that material here in Germany?

When I see those pallets of TEA I see my bench there soon....

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:22:57 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84267 on: March 02, 2021, 07:21:50 pm »
We talked about MOSFETs for DC loads the other day.
I happened across the FDL100N50 today while looking for something else.
With a good enough heatsink (liquid cooled maybe) it has a DC SOA good for at least 1500W within 100A and 500V. Rjc is 0.05 deg C/W  so a 25 deg C heatsink actually has some headroom at 1500W. It's pretty linear with about 20mV/a gate sensitivity

https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/fdl100n50f-d.pdf
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:55:02 pm by Robert763 »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #84268 on: March 02, 2021, 07:23:19 pm »
not always only the wife,
I have now also a new bag  8)

:popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84269 on: March 02, 2021, 07:25:03 pm »
It's done. The Type 422 has a fresh coat of paint with a 1000% improvement in appearance. It's still much too cold to paint in the garage so I had to resort to other means. Don't ask because it involves denial, potential liability, and certainly wrath of the landlord. But there's no collateral damage nor over spray so we got away with it.  ;D ;D

For now this guy is done as I want to concentrate on the Type 321A. The replacement capacitors should have shipped yesterday but so far have not heard anything from Mouser.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:40:09 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #84270 on: March 02, 2021, 07:30:27 pm »
422 is a cosmic scope, I have seen in a american scifi film an astronaut talking to the earth, in a 422  8)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84271 on: March 02, 2021, 07:32:58 pm »
422 is a cosmic scope, I have seen in a american scifi film an astronaut talking to the earth, in a 422  8)

Hi Martin, how are you? You must come visit us more often.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #84272 on: March 02, 2021, 07:35:54 pm »
not always only the wife,
I have now also a new bag  8)
 :popcorn:
I hope you have more luck with it than a buddy had with his.   :-BROKE  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #84273 on: March 02, 2021, 07:37:40 pm »
It's done. The Type 422 has a fresh coat of paint with a 1000% improvement in appearance. It's still much too cold to paint in the garage so I had to resort to other means. Don't ask because it involves denial, potential liability, and certainly wrath of the landlord. But there's no collateral damage nor over spray so we got away with it.  ;D ;D
Nice Med, I didn't realise you had the hat for it too.  8)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #84274 on: March 02, 2021, 07:41:38 pm »
I hope also, this is the 200, it was expensive.  :)
I have buyed from a german store, they have to give 2 years warranty.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf