Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15704574 times)

MrYakimovYA, VK5RC and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #87600 on: April 09, 2021, 01:43:57 pm »
AP ? sounds interesting, have to investigate.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87601 on: April 09, 2021, 01:46:19 pm »
fuuuuuck, they are expensive ...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87602 on: April 09, 2021, 01:51:35 pm »
will taking the piss out of Papa Smurf paint the floor blue ?

questions ...

There used to be standard test for kidney function that involved giving an IV dose of a dye, Methylene Blue, and seeing how long it took for your urine to turn blue.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #87603 on: April 09, 2021, 01:57:32 pm »
I survived. Didn't know this. The catheter has a little inflatable ball in it to keep it in place. Deflate the ball. Pull. Done. Just a slight sting. 

But I do have to go back at 3 PM to have bladder scanned to make sure I'm pissing properly.

Getting old sucks.  |O
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, Saskia

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #87604 on: April 09, 2021, 02:03:13 pm »
Ooof, another "accidental" purchase... I was certain I was going to be outbid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-PM-5193-Programmable-Synthesizer-Function-Generator-0-1mHz-50mHz/265114303620
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #87605 on: April 09, 2021, 02:10:27 pm »
Yup. Used to get regular work from the arcades back in the day; principle is simple: overdrive the heater a little for a short period, apply a HF signal to the cathode while it is boiling from the overdrive, this strips a microscopic layer off and get you good emissivity again. It is as much art as science; getting all 3 guns within 10-20% without smoking one of them takes some practice.

Yes, it is a somewhat destructive process; but the CRT is already toast, so why not.  :-//  My experience was that specific units at the arcade would last 1-3 years after a zap; that's a machine that runs 12-14 hour days 6 days a week. I usually was able to zap a CRT at least twice before the gain was insufficient to balance the guns; then you know who they called to do the CRT replacement. Ka-chinnng! ;)

mnem
 :-/O :bullshit:

They had one at the TV Studio where I worked, & I often used it to get a bit  of extra life from some of the less critical pix monitor CRTs.

For some reason, "delta gun" tubes didn't do as well with it as Trinitrons  & the various other variants, like "Linytrons", etc.

We usually only got one rejuvenation out of each tube, as towards the end of life, there was usually one gun that just wouldn't come up.

BW tubes were much more forgiving, but, eventually they started showing massive gamma errors.

There was a very good local regunning facility.
It didn't look much, but the proprietor did an excellent job with Trinitrons, with results indisinguishable from a new tube.
Again, the "delta gun"tubes were a lot harder to get right.

It was normally not our practice to use regunned tubes in critical monitors, but during a period of financial stress, we (unofficially) relaxed that rule, with good results.

I developed a lot of expertise on pix monitors which I neither desired or anticipated, being mainly employed as a Transmitter Tech!

That's because the Trinitron tube has a single gun, so getting them "balanced" is not a problem. I'd wager they have more material in the cathode to spare as well, given the design drives that single gun to do the work of three. ;) D'OH! :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 05:30:43 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87606 on: April 09, 2021, 02:12:36 pm »
I survived. Didn't know this. The catheter has a little inflatable ball in it to keep it in place. Deflate the ball. Pull. Done. Just a slight sting. 

But I do have to go back at 3 PM to have bladder scanned to make sure I'm pissing properly.

Getting old sucks.  |O

fully agree.

-- working on an implantable liposuction pump ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #87607 on: April 09, 2021, 02:14:06 pm »

Getting old sucks.  |O

Yeah, but to the best of my knowledge it still beats the alternative.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #87608 on: April 09, 2021, 02:19:13 pm »
Ok OCXO all done and installed.      Link to repo with documentation, BOM, gerbers and stuff is on the picture :)

This is about the first time I've put something together and it worked first time  :-DD

Looking nice. Gonna use that repo as the base for my own build; mine arrived today. Haven't had time or energy to do more than open & look; but from what I can see, I can say with pretty high confidence that these oscillators are being removed from the scrap boards not with a band or scroll saw, but rather are being excised from the PCB using plunge-cuts with a whizz-grinder.
Not that I would have ever committed such a crime... not me...

I'd say either a Dremel with a big cutoff wheel (maybe a diamond disc) or something like the one above. The way the burr curls on both sides of the board and the direction of the scoring are pretty indicative.

As to whether this is better or worse than the vibration from a bandsaw... I'll say yes, generally much less aggressive vibration. The fact that components are cut through rather than shattered off the board evidence that.

Of course, the pings and dings in the can of the device also evidence the fact that the scrap boards are not exactly handled with greatest of care before the part is excised. Just thought I'd pass that along, in case it affects someone's decision on whether to pull the trigger or not. :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

Huh.  Mine arrived today as well; I splurged and bought a lot of ten of them.  They sent 11.  Interestingly, the place I got them from dismounted them - they were shipped in some anti static foam.

I'm not complaining - the furry lab assistants knocked my desoldering iron off the bench recently and the tip has gone missing.  I need to order a new one; that's the best way to be sure the old one will turn up again.

-Pat

Dang everyone is ordering these now  :-DD :-DD

I better buy some more before the supply dries up  :-DD :-DD

@Cubdriver: where do you get that many from?

Mine came from a seller named queen*s land.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-CETC-CTI-OSC5A2B02-10MHz-5V-26-26-13-Square-Wave-OCXO-Crystal-Oscillator/333715938722?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87609 on: April 09, 2021, 02:28:09 pm »
Today is the day. At 08:30 hours local time. Appointment with urologist to get this damn catheter out. It hurt like hell going in and I'm sure it's gonna hurt even worse coming out. So if you hear a blood curdling scream later it will be me.  :scared: :scared:

Wish me luck.  :o

Here's hoping you pass out from the practitioner's cold hands and miss most of the pain.  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to get some blood pressure meds*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87610 on: April 09, 2021, 02:30:36 pm »

Getting old sucks.  |O

-Pat

Everyone wants to get old but nobody wants to be old.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87611 on: April 09, 2021, 02:33:03 pm »
no scream so far.  :-+

The speed of sound in air at STP is 343ms-1. The great circle route NYC to Frankfurt is 6 219 km, which gives the scream a rough propagation time NY->western Germany of 5 hours 2 minutes.

I think I just heard the faintest whimper... but that could've been the breeze... ;)

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87612 on: April 09, 2021, 02:35:54 pm »
Today is the day. At 08:30 hours local time. Appointment with urologist to get this damn catheter out. It hurt like hell going in and I'm sure it's gonna hurt even worse coming out. So if you hear a blood curdling scream later it will be me.  :scared: :scared:

If the swelling and inflammation has subsided, you won't necessarily scream. A slight groan plus temporary loss of conscience may be all there is to it ...

good luck

So you're saying he won't feel bad about punching the Doctor's lights out?  :)

:-DD Beat me to it...  >:D

mnem
"Honey, where are my paaants...?"

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87613 on: April 09, 2021, 02:40:51 pm »
Ok OCXO all done and installed.      Link to repo with documentation, BOM, gerbers and stuff is on the picture :)

This is about the first time I've put something together and it worked first time  :-DD

Looking nice. Gonna use that repo as the base for my own build; mine arrived today. Haven't had time or energy to do more than open & look; but from what I can see, I can say with pretty high confidence that these oscillators are being removed from the scrap boards not with a band or scroll saw, but rather are being excised from the PCB using plunge-cuts with a whizz-grinder.

I'd say either a Dremel with a big cutoff wheel (maybe a diamond disc) or something like the one above. The way the burr curls on both sides of the board and the direction of the scoring are pretty indicative.

As to whether this is better or worse than the vibration from a bandsaw... I'll say yes, generally much less aggressive vibration. The fact that components are cut through rather than shattered off the board evidence that.

Of course, the pings and dings in the can of the device also evidence the fact that the scrap boards are not exactly handled with greatest of care before the part is excised. Just thought I'd pass that along, in case it affects someone's decision on whether to pull the trigger or not. :-+

mnem

Huh.  Mine arrived today as well; I splurged and bought a lot of ten of them.  They sent 11.  Interestingly, the place I got them from dismounted them - they were shipped in some anti static foam.

I'm not complaining - the furry lab assistants knocked my desoldering iron off the bench recently and the tip has gone missing.  I need to order a new one; that's the best way to be sure the old one will turn up again.

-Pat

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-CETC-CTI-OSC5A2B02-10MHz-5V-26-26-13-Square-Wave-OCXO-Crystal-Oscillator/333715938722?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

-Pat

The output is sine or square waves ?

Do I need more 10Mhz oscillators ?  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87614 on: April 09, 2021, 02:43:19 pm »

Getting old sucks.  |O

-Pat

Yup. My momma usedta say that alla time...  ;)

Glad to hear you're back and mostly intact, buddy. :-+

mnem
But she also usedta sing this little ditty from time to time:

"Carefully measuring the distance to the cliff
took her most of the mor-or-or-ning...
What followed was merely in poor taste."
   :o
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:03:09 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87615 on: April 09, 2021, 02:47:26 pm »

If the swelling and inflammation has subsided, you won't necessarily scream. A slight groan plus temporary loss of conscience may be all there is to it ...   good luck

I just felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a smurf suddenly cried out in terror and was suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Given the timing, it would appear that your Force contact... or your spidey-sense... or whatever... is somehow quantum entangled with med's errrr... misery. Yeah, that's it... misery.  :-DD

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87616 on: April 09, 2021, 02:51:48 pm »
...Getting old sucks.  |O

fully agree.   -- working on an implantable liposuction pump ...

I'll take three.  :palm:

mnem
I'm all out of pithy.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87617 on: April 09, 2021, 02:57:02 pm »
...Mine came from a seller named queen*s land.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-CETC-CTI-OSC5A2B02-10MHz-5V-26-26-13-Square-Wave-OCXO-Crystal-Oscillator/333715938722?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649   -Pat

Most likely.

Definitely.  >:D

mnem
*in best Rain Man voice*
"...ten megahurrtz... definitely... definitely... ten megahurrtz..."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:36:26 am by mnementh »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87618 on: April 09, 2021, 02:57:19 pm »

Getting old sucks.  |O

-Pat

Everyone wants to get old but nobody wants to be old.

I don't! I'd prefer to live a long time without getting old (hasn't been the case so far though).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87619 on: April 09, 2021, 03:01:27 pm »

mnem

-Pat

-Pat

Damn those are cheap.

Wondering if I should buy a bunch, stuff them on boards, cal with bodnar GPSDO and try and bounce them on here  :-DD

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87620 on: April 09, 2021, 03:06:16 pm »
fuuuuuck, they are expensive ...

Indeed they are super ultra mega expensive, even as second hand the first generation from the 80' are not often under 1000€.

Keep in mind that you will need a PC with an ISA or PCI (if you are lucky) port to drive them.
Fortunately some ex AP employees  have build an USB interface to make our life easier :
https://www.s1usb.com/

I bought this cable, it’s  not cheap (300€) but you can drive any AP 1 or 2 from almost  any windows version.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87621 on: April 09, 2021, 03:10:16 pm »

-Pat
Damn those are cheap.

Wondering if I should buy a bunch, stuff them on boards, cal with bodnar GPSDO and try and bounce them on here  :-DD

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=10MHz+Frequency+OCXO+Board&_sacat=0

The competition is pretty stiff... with a LCD somewhere around US$27 delivered.  :o

Of course it'd be the cal you're selling, so sure, I'd buy one to cal my own boards off of... if I ever get around to building 'em.  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87622 on: April 09, 2021, 03:20:12 pm »

Too lazy to plug it in properly and do this over ethernet:

The ringing is almost certainly my lack of any application of probing technique in this particular instance.

Edit: It was, went back with a spring ground on the tip and got a nice clean square wave. Too tottering to snap it as well at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:34:36 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87623 on: April 09, 2021, 03:42:29 pm »
I should have posted the pictures I took yesterday with slightly better probing techniques :-DD

That's into a 100R load with a 10x probe (i forgot to switch it to 10x in the UI). It's 5v without a load. I'm sure you can work out the output impedance from that :)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver, Kosmic

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87624 on: April 09, 2021, 04:30:53 pm »
Yup. Used to get regular work from the arcades back in the day; principle is simple: overdrive the heater a little for a short period, apply a HF signal to the cathode while it is boiling from the overdrive, this strips a microscopic layer off and get you good emissivity again. It is as much art as science; getting all 3 guns within 10-20% without smoking one of them takes some practice.

Yes, it is a somewhat destructive process; but the CRT is already toast, so why not.  :-//  My experience was that specific units at the arcade would last 1-3 years after a zap; that's a machine that runs 12-14 hour days 6 days a week. I usually was able to zap a CRT at least twice before the gain was insufficient to balance the guns; then you know who they called to do the CRT replacement. Ka-chinnng! ;)

mnem
 :-/O :bullshit:

They had one at the TV Studio where I worked, & I often used it to get a bit  of extra life from some of the less critical pix monitor CRTs.

For some reason, "delta gun" tubes didn't do as well with it as Trinitrons  & the various other variants, like "Linytrons", etc.

We usually only got one rejuvenation out of each tube, as towards the end of life, there was usually one gun that just wouldn't come up.

BW tubes were much more forgiving, but, eventually they started showing massive gamma errors.

There was a very good local regunning facility.
It didn't look much, but the proprietor did an excellent job with Trinitrons, with results indisinguishable from a new tube.
Again, the "delta gun"tubes were a lot harder to get right.

It was normally not our practice to use regunned tubes in critical monitors, but during a period of financial stress, we (unofficially) relaxed that rule, with good results.

I developed a lot of expertise on pix monitors which I neither desired or anticipated, being mainly employed as a Transmitter Tech!

That's because the Trinitron tube has a single gun, so getting them "balanced" is not a problem. I'd wager they have more material in the cathode to spare as well, given the design drives that single gun to do the work of three. ;)

mnem

Not quite correct. While the Trinitron had one electron gun, that gun still had 3 cathodes (in vertical alignment) so if emission is low you still have to do 3 regenerations and balance them as well as possible.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf