Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14815728 times)

doktor pyta, shakalnokturn and 103 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #87700 on: April 10, 2021, 12:18:37 pm »
Very Amateur as they forget to paint the inside of the lid too.

Strange the seller has all the power cords but can't be bothered to show it working, they claim it does.

David

I'll give him a pass on not painting the inside front cover. I didn't paint the inside front cover of the Type 422. It didn't need it.

But if you look close he didn't mask off the cover latches. That's less than amateur.  :palm:

Agreed, no pix of powered up. Suspicious.  ::) 

Was the Tek 422 a completely different color inside? The covers for that HP should really be school bus yellow all over.

David

No, same color.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #87701 on: April 10, 2021, 12:20:22 pm »
This guy from Tasmania painted it not in Smurf Tek blue. This is more turquoise, I think.

Smurf Tek blue:

Tasmania Tek blue:

Here's who painted it.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, factory

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #87702 on: April 10, 2021, 12:27:11 pm »
Geez, when are they gonna fix this forum.

Slow response.

Bad Gateways.

Notifications not working.

:palm: 

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87703 on: April 10, 2021, 12:45:54 pm »
If they need some replacement for the old servers, I guess, this will take some time.
I think, they are running the forum on some spare/loan servers with worse specs.
I do not envy gnif about his job.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87704 on: April 10, 2021, 12:46:50 pm »
Found this thing on  >:Dbay:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/High-Precision-10-V-Reference-Analog-Devices-AD587KN-AD7535JN-5x-OP07CJ/124355155590

What are the experts saying, worh 10 euro pesos + 5 shipping ?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87705 on: April 10, 2021, 12:47:35 pm »
Nope HT issues  :'(

HT means high voltage?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87706 on: April 10, 2021, 12:48:57 pm »
https://www.ebay.de/itm/High-Precision-10-V-Reference-Analog-Devices-AD587KN-AD7535JN-5x-OP07CJ/124355155590

I've bought two of them a while back. And yes, imho they are worth it.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #87707 on: April 10, 2021, 12:49:33 pm »
For those of us who wanted some OCXO playthings but don't feel the NEED for 10. This seller has a twofor sale reduced for 3 hours more eBay auction: #143779790317 now for the waiting......  :)
You rat bastard.

I stayed away because of the prices for 10 - but now I am waiting on two pair ..... all thanks to you.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, beanflying

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87708 on: April 10, 2021, 12:53:07 pm »

did you ever find out what was their initial purpose and what was the display suppose to do  ?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87709 on: April 10, 2021, 12:56:17 pm »

did you ever find out what was their initial purpose and what was the display suppose to do  ?

No. But I didn't try. I think, they are part of some quality control checking gear for production,
but since I was only interested mainly in the aged AD587KN and as a bonus the op-amps,
I did no further investigation. Interesting detail: one of them got some heavy bodges on the backside.  :D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #87710 on: April 10, 2021, 12:57:50 pm »
Hi guys and gals,
I am selling some of my stuff at a Ham buy and sell next weekend,
Below are the prices I was thinking (in Aussie pesos)  - are any crazy high or low?
Tek 7603 (with 7A18, 7A16A, 7B50A) $250
HP 53131A (with 3GHz) $600
     3465A (with a parts unit) $150
    3324A $700
    5334B $300
   5316A $150
   3456A $200
  3467A $250
  3403C.$250
Yaesu FTM 400XDR $550 (in box etc)

Post to or from Australia is crazy at the moment - realistically adds another $100 to prices.
Regards Rob

Perhaps Brumby will be interested in some of this stuff?  >:D  ;D
Can't you leave me alone...?

Hmmm...  The 3456A would have to take up some of my limited rack space - and I'm already down into 5½ digit voltnuttery with my 3478A.  6½ digit is getting soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper....

But the 5316A has appeal....

Oh, save me.  :palm:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #87711 on: April 10, 2021, 01:03:41 pm »
Anything else you guys want me to spend my money on?   :scared:

I'm running away now.  Back tomorrow ... maybe.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87712 on: April 10, 2021, 01:05:45 pm »
Hi guys and gals,
I am selling some of my stuff at a Ham buy and sell next weekend,
Below are the prices I was thinking (in Aussie pesos)  - are any crazy high or low?
Tek 7603 (with 7A18, 7A16A, 7B50A) $250
HP 53131A (with 3GHz) $600
     3465A (with a parts unit) $150
    3324A $700
    5334B $300
   5316A $150
   3456A $200
  3467A $250
  3403C.$250
Yaesu FTM 400XDR $550 (in box etc)

Post to or from Australia is crazy at the moment - realistically adds another $100 to prices.
Regards Rob

Perhaps Brumby will be interested in some of this stuff?  >:D  ;D
Can't you leave me alone...?

Hmmm...  The 3456A would have to take up some of my limited rack space - and I'm already down into 5½ digit voltnuttery with my 3478A.  6½ digit is getting soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper.... soooo much deeper....

But the 5316A has appeal....

Oh, save me.  :palm:

Oh, come on. We just want your best!  ;D

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87713 on: April 10, 2021, 01:08:38 pm »
For those of us who wanted some OCXO playthings but don't feel the NEED for 10. This seller has a twofor sale reduced for 3 hours more eBay auction: #143779790317 now for the waiting......  :)
You rat bastard.

I stayed away because of the prices for 10 - but now I am waiting on two pair ..... all thanks to you.

you made me laugh out loud.

ya' don't hear "rat bastard" used much these days.

thanks.
free range primate

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87714 on: April 10, 2021, 01:18:24 pm »

Did they send you the whole (pictured) PCB with all IC's in place? If so it would be well worth it.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87715 on: April 10, 2021, 01:29:46 pm »

Did they send you the whole (pictured) PCB with all IC's in place? If so it would be well worth it.

McBryce.

The whole PCB is for sale.

DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #87716 on: April 10, 2021, 01:34:47 pm »
Seems someone in Tasmania has stolen some of Med's blue spray paint, price is a little steep for a 50MHz scope. https://www.ebay.com/itm/284245054413

avid

He should have masked off the feet before painting. Amateur.  :P :-DD
Doesn't tggzzz have one of these ?
IIRC his is unblued !

Not me; my nearest case is this:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-8125a-military-dmm-teardown/msg2540730/#msg2540730 but I did re-spray my Power Designs 2020B blue https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2762084/#msg2762084
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:41:12 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87717 on: April 10, 2021, 01:45:10 pm »
The analogue boards evaporated instantly  ;D, and only one thanks out of 3 buyers  :-//, btw, if you don't want to dismantle the board for the parts, the seller has matching connectors for it for 1,8.. EUR.

Cheers and waiting for measurements and teardowns,
 DC1MC

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87718 on: April 10, 2021, 01:55:41 pm »
I took two of them. I can use almost everything on the boards.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87719 on: April 10, 2021, 02:17:26 pm »
I took two of them. I can use almost everything on the boards.

McBryce.

Me as well, the seller (Ulrich), told me that he will put more for sale soon, so if anybody wants some, stay tuned.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87720 on: April 10, 2021, 02:36:55 pm »
You rat bastard.

thanks.

That's because you don't personally hear much native 'Strine spoken, a language in which the word "ratbag" practically qualifies as a term of endearment.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #87721 on: April 10, 2021, 02:44:48 pm »

Makes sense to me, Shango066 on youtube has had this happen with old TVs/radios that haven't been used for decades, they can get better with extended use. But not always, sometimes they are knackered and that was the reason they got retired from use in the first place.

Re: trying to rejuvenate Trintron CRT's from a few pages back, Shango066 has tried & failed with a knackered one at some point in the last year, I'm sure he said it rarely works with Trintron CRT's and can sometimes make them worse. If a brightner was fitted then it's probably a waste of time trying to rejuvenate them.

David

I've watched many of his videos and he certainly has a unique, and sometimes unsafe, way of doing things. He would make Paul Carlson faint in panic. And he's also not beneath doing massive bodges to fix things. But most of the time he gets results.  :-+

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #87722 on: April 10, 2021, 03:16:00 pm »
The analogue boards evaporated instantly  ;D, and only one thanks out of 3 buyers  :-//, btw, if you don't want to dismantle the board for the parts, the seller has matching connectors for it for 1,8.. EUR.

Cheers and waiting for measurements and teardowns,
 DC1MC

Is there any information available about the connector pinout and the protocols?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87723 on: April 10, 2021, 03:22:28 pm »
And speaking of vacuum tubes. The other day I mentioned that the 7586 nuvistor in the Type 321A is taking upwards of 30 minutes to stabilize. Well all of sudden the little nuvistor “woke up” and within 5 minutes or so is stable. Which is more than acceptable. I've seen this before especially with nuvistors and to a lesser extent with larger tubes. I have a theory as to what process is occurring here and I'd like some input.

As you know nuvistors are very small and almost look like a transistor. Inside there is a “getter” and it's function is to absorb any free gasses or ions floating around inside the vacuum envelope. Well after many years...20, 30, 40....of no applied power these gasses and ions may start break free from the getter and poison the cathode. And because of the small structures involved it doesn't take much for the cathode to get contaminated. Initially powering up after all those years those contaminates need to boil off the cathode and be absorbed by the getter again. But it may take many cycles for the cathode to clean itself.

Make sense or am I off base?

Makes sense to me, Shango066 on youtube has had this happen with old TVs/radios that haven't been used for decades, they can get better with extended use. But not always, sometimes they are knackered and that was the reason they got retired from use in the first place.

Re: trying to rejuvenate Trintron CRT's from a few pages back, Shango066 has tried & failed with a knackered one at some point in the last year, I'm sure he said it rarely works with Trintron CRT's and can sometimes make them worse. If a brightner was fitted then it's probably a waste of time trying to rejuvenate them.

David

Shango066 is making this claim from a statistical base of one?

I worked on Picture Monitors for 10 years, & found that, as I believe I commented, you get about one, or maybe two rejuvenations out of Trinitrons, with delta tubes being much the same.

If you are using Monitors in analog TV broadcasting you can't get away with the sort of results you could tolerate in domestic use. where you might get more chances.

In fairness, I was doing this between 1989 & 1999, so the oldest pix tubes I "rejuved" were probably not much more than 25 years old at the maximum, most being less.

A 40 year old pix tube of any type is unlikely to be successfully revived, especially, as not knowing its history, it may have been rejuvenated several times already.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87724 on: April 10, 2021, 03:25:56 pm »
You rat bastard.

thanks.

An old mate of mine on QRZ.com uses it for people who do nasty things with collectable ham radios!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf