Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14783343 times)

factory, TERRA Operative, sorenkir and 169 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #87725 on: April 10, 2021, 03:28:29 pm »
Did some more testing on the HP 10811D in the "murdered" 221A case (It was very dead and battered before I repurposed it, no manuals and I could not get one set of knobs out of the two).
I mounted the two bolt-in feedthrough capacitors in  bit of extruded ali angle bolted to the side frame. This feeds power from the DC-DC converter to just the oven circuit. Running the oscillator off an external supply the feed-throughs killed all the noise on the output. It's quite surprising that the isolaed oven circuit could couple so much noise onto theoutput. Connecting the oscillator regulator (MC1812CT) and +_ 5V EFC regulator back to the power supply gave no detectable increase in noise so a1209774-0ll is good. Close in spectrum below. The wide spectrum shows no sign DC-DC converter switching frequency harmonics.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #87726 on: April 10, 2021, 03:53:58 pm »

I found Tek's recommendation concerning tubes which is basically does it function properly in circuit? If yes, leave it alone. But for matching tubes that tester certainly can be valuable.   

That is basically what is most useful with this tester. And you will easily find a tube that is out of spec. You can also vary the bias and calculate a rudimentary value of transconductance (GM). This is the so called "grid shift" technique of measuring transconductance.

It would be interesting to apply a signal to the grid and build a circuit at the plate to measure output AC current and show on a separate display. That would directly show the GM, but would make the device more complicated.

We call that "a test jig". ;)

Generally a workaround for CAP: Costly Accessory Phobia and its damping effect on TEAS. Usually driven by CAM: Costly Accessory Mania, the urge to have all expensive bells & whistles on a TE, or ACCD: Accessory Collection Completeness Disorder, the unattenuated need to have every last bit of accessory that was ever made/will be made/could be made for a particular bit of TE. Often accompanied by shameless exhibitions of NEAT: Nested Equipment Astonishingly Tidy; particularly with regards every last bit of accessory kept in appropriate, often custom-fitted storage cases.

Welcome to our little cabal of TE fanatics; practitioners of hollow-state are not looked down on here, they're looked up to.

Unless you're a choob vulture; those we "adjust" with extreme prejudice!   

The neverending taco truck still hasn't rebooted since the server fire; I'm afraid UBER-eats will have to take up the slack... bean's very busy enabling lately, so the coffee has been a bit off too.  ???  Papa Smurf has to put his bloo spray paint in the flammables cabinet ever since the Gorilla Incident, so he's gonna be grumpier than usual... unless you're a pretty nurse.  >:D  bd139 is mostly harmless unless you see him playing with RF; if you see Saskia with a shovel over her shoulder... just look the other way. :scared: The pervy little dragon fancier schtick is still my personality flaw; but I am accepting applications for internship at this time.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 03:57:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87727 on: April 10, 2021, 04:39:13 pm »
The analogue boards evaporated instantly  ;D, and only one thanks out of 3 buyers  :-//, btw, if you don't want to dismantle the board for the parts, the seller has matching connectors for it for 1,8.. EUR.

Cheers and waiting for measurements and teardowns,
 DC1MC

Is there any information available about the connector pinout and the protocols?

The pinout should be a doddle to work out. There's 2x 74HC573 octal tri-state buffers right beside the connector, so they'll be a parallel 16bit digital output. It probably only has a single power rail and my guess is that most of the other pins are n.c. The rest is just a matter of following the traces. I doubt there's any serial output so it probably doesn't involve any protocols, just a simple 16bit value. Not sure what the EPROM's contain though, probably just lookup tables for the ADC and 7-Segs.? However, that's a lot of ROM for something so basic.

I'll let you know more when I've got one on the bench.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87728 on: April 10, 2021, 04:39:53 pm »
This was a fun watch  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87729 on: April 10, 2021, 04:54:04 pm »
   yawwwwwwwnnnnnn...

I got this far before I had to pull the plug for my own safety; I found myself waking up to the tone of the iron going to sleep. While it was still in my hand. :o

Tomorrow's a chance for all new mistakes. ;)
Been there before, scary. That said, often I have my best flashes of inspiration after everyone else has gone to bed

Yeah... that was why I was loathe to stop before I had the core circuits built. Wanted to get them on the board while I could still see them in my head, IYKWIM.  :phew:

Still nursing my 2nd cuppa... will see what comes of this project after I finish shopping for my wife's B-day. ;)

mnem
Come on Amazon... save my arse in the midst of this 3rd wave of COVID lockdown...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87730 on: April 10, 2021, 04:57:22 pm »
For those of us who wanted some OCXO playthings but don't feel the NEED for 10. This seller has a twofor sale reduced for 3 hours more eBay auction: #143779790317 now for the waiting......  :)
You rat bastard.   I stayed away because of the prices for 10 - but now I am waiting on two pair ..... all thanks to you.

Harrumph! *crosses arms and glowers*

See how you ozzies are!!! I posted that same exact listing 2 weeks ago when I bought mine... at the same price!!!  :rant:

mnem
*toddles off to nuke a bicycle headlamp*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87731 on: April 10, 2021, 05:02:17 pm »
I took two of them. I can use almost everything on the boards.

McBryce.

Me as well, the seller (Ulrich), told me that he will put more for sale soon, so if anybody wants some, stay tuned.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Yup... same here. I'd probably try to reverse engineer the thing; at first glance it appears to have several independent channels and support circuitry, possibly for multiple different voltage ranges.  :-+

NM... McB's eyes are better than mine... I'll still be interested, tho.

I'll stay tuned.  >:D

mnem
...same Bumblebutt-time, same Bumblebutt-channel...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 05:09:56 pm by mnementh »

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87732 on: April 10, 2021, 05:15:49 pm »
My recently acquired TEA items. By the readings I wonder if these were made in the same factory at all?  ;)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, AVGresponding, duckduck

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #87733 on: April 10, 2021, 05:21:20 pm »
Yea those are nice, and you got the memory card.  :-+

You are also honoring your neighbor-country's colors to boot with your patch cables!  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87734 on: April 10, 2021, 05:22:37 pm »
I was going to ask if IKEA were selling test leads.

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87735 on: April 10, 2021, 05:27:12 pm »
Yea those are nice, and you got the memory card.  :-+

You are also honoring your neighbor-country's colors to boot with your patch cables!  :clap:

Those were the only short cables I quickly found. And of course longer ones should match  ;D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87736 on: April 10, 2021, 05:31:52 pm »
Ok well today’s task went to shit. I was going to start measuring all these crystals. Managed to get nowhere. Went for an amble, did some shopping and generally got sod all done.

Reminder: Discord this UTC evening  :)

Online DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87737 on: April 10, 2021, 05:38:56 pm »
The analogue boards evaporated instantly  ;D, and only one thanks out of 3 buyers  :-//, btw, if you don't want to dismantle the board for the parts, the seller has matching connectors for it for 1,8.. EUR.

Cheers and waiting for measurements and teardowns,
 DC1MC

Is there any information available about the connector pinout and the protocols?

Will be, in a couple of days, most likely next WE, if none of the previous buyers will spring, I will do it. The more I look, the more interesting the board looks. As another poster said, is like a cow, one can use everything from it, but  will be nice if we can start it and see what the 14-bit DAC and opamps are doing in conjunction with all these EEPROMS and digital stuff.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87738 on: April 10, 2021, 05:48:57 pm »
My recently acquired TEA items. By the readings I wonder if these were made in the same factory at all?  ;)
Any chance you bought the Y7651 on ebay-kleinanzeigen? Because it's got modified jacks on front, very unusual. In any case you might want to get nice binding posts like shown below to upgrade from ikea cable to proper shorting bar, like on original unit. VERY nice stack otherwise :-+
Edit: Any chance to have a non destructive peek inside the data card? I would also immensly appreciate a detail shot of it's connector.
I posted a proposed pinout over on the Metrology section, it might help the investigation along.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/yokogawa-7651-programmable-dc-source/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 05:53:52 pm by ch_scr »

Online DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87739 on: April 10, 2021, 06:09:58 pm »
Snagged this Telemeter LCR Databridge 6401 beast as consolation price, I was hoping for the HP from zhoffler, but it went for crazy money  :'(.
The UK fellas, do you know anything about it, any service manual ?

Cheers,
DC1Mc

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, factory

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87740 on: April 10, 2021, 06:19:08 pm »
Snagged this Telemeter LCR Databridge 6401 beast as consolation price, I was hoping for the HP from zhoffler, but it went for crazy money  :'(.
The UK fellas, do you know anything about it, any service manual ?

Cheers,
DC1Mc

The much rebadged AIM 401. They are now part of TTi.

Service manual can be found if you search for Racal 9341. http://ftb.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=Racal/Racal_Dana_9341_LCR_Data_Bridge_Service_Manual.pdf

Guess who had to sit in front of one of them for a week during work experience checking incoming parts  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #87741 on: April 10, 2021, 06:20:00 pm »
Last week i had a sleep over.. a Siglent SSA3021X PLUS,
andy advice, how to tell the wife... its maybe going to stay a bit longer?  :-DD :-DD

i thin k i fell in love  :)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, tautech, Mortymore, bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87742 on: April 10, 2021, 06:21:24 pm »
I took two of them. I can use almost everything on the boards.

McBryce.

Me as well, the seller (Ulrich), told me that he will put more for sale soon, so if anybody wants some, stay tuned.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Yup... same here. I'd probably try to reverse engineer the thing; at first glance it appears to have several independent channels and support circuitry, possibly for multiple different voltage ranges.  :-+

NM... McB's eyes are better than mine... I'll still be interested, tho.

I'll stay tuned.  >:D

mnem
...same Bumblebutt-time, same Bumblebutt-channel...

Well there's two relays on the board which might mean that it can measure two sources or that it can use its own or an external voltage reference? The top toggle switch seems to indicate switching between internal and external "something", but you can't see the label on the bottom switch.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87743 on: April 10, 2021, 06:21:49 pm »
WOw.... I just can't keep up with the amount of traffic here,it's insane.. I don't even have time to reply to people... messages quickly get lost behind 10 pages of other stuff. I Guess either reply in within 10 minutes, or give up replying altogether... which would be rude..

So forgive me if I can't quote everyone who gave in put on my Nixie Metrix knob problem (refrain please!)....

- 3D printing nooo... it never looks good enough to be credible, and too much modeling work, and I don't have 3D printer. Considering one more and more though, but not for cosmetic parts, only small parts whose mechanical role is the only criteria. ie parts you don't get to see.  For example stripped gears in the 20 old broken CD players I acquired recently. Many of them are toast due to a gear with worn out teeth.

- Knob snob.. I don't know about that... don't think it's snobbery, but I jyust cannot stand a non original knob or any part on a front panel. I will always prefer a damaged, incomplete or plain missing knob, rather than some other random knob or pale 3D copy of it.
In the case at hand that missing knob is used to set the sensitivity of the input. It's a small pot that's very light to operate, can do it by grabbing the bare shaft no problem.

- Identifying the original manufacturer of the knobs ? Sure, would be interesting but.... how helpful would that be ? I mean the manufacturer is probably out of business 50 years later, and if not, I doubt they would still make 50 years old knob models ?!....

- Only solution I see is to buy another piece of gear from Metrix, any pieve of junk, sometihng I don't even wnat or need... so long as it is the same vintage as my counter, so that it features the same model ofknobs. Sadly Metrix stuff of that vintage is not pop up very often, and when they do, they do'nt have the tiniest size knob that I need. Plus, sellers wnat 100 Euros or more for their crusty untested piece of junk. 100 Euros  shipping for a knob, is a bit dear for my modest budget...
So instead I noticed that some old low end scopes from HAMEG, featured the same model of knobs as my Metrix counter ! Namely, their 207 model, like this one for sale right now, at 50 Euros:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipements_industriels/1936744545.htm

It does have tiny buttons, same size that I need for Metrix counter BUT... life is never easy : the Hamed knob is made, internally, for shaft that's a tad bigger, and shorter as well. So the Hameg knob would fit on my Metrix :-(
So back then, I gave up and was lucky to be able to find a foul to buy this piece of junk of a scope, from me. So all in all I didn't loose too much money in the process.

3 years later, in retrospect... looks likes like this Hameg knob was my best option though ! So I feel I will buy another of of these scopes at some point.. hopefully will find one cheaper than 50 Euros. Then do it all again, but this time I will take the time and effort to make that knob fit. The knob not being deep enough, I guess I can just trim the shaft on my counter, just a tad. Won't hurt...
As for the knob having a larger diameter, maybe I can dip the shaft of the pot into some epoxy or something, then sand it down to size, until it fits the Hameg knob. 

I really don't know, but I want to fix this problem !!!  :scared:

Also have my '70s Philips  Sig Gen that lost a cap on one of its knobs, during the house move !   :palm:  I am devastated...  Here too, will have to buy a whole piece of gear at great expense just so I can salvage the knobs.

Tube Testers / Curve Tracers.... thanks for the couple links.   I do plan on a curve tracer to help me restore my ever growing collection of old Tek scopes.
As Med / Tek said, the best tester is the scope itself, but still, once I find a bad tube, I would to be able to characterize it accurately, just for my own education, to see how it diverges from a new tube. And well, if nothing else, I just find it cool to display a set  of I/V curves on the screen, sue me !  :-//

A curve tracer is out of my budget. The Tek 576 everyone wnats it seems, it getting more and more expensive every year. There is one for sale here in Frog land... TWO THOUSANDS EUROS !!!!!  :o  That would be 2500 dollars or something, I guess.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipements_industriels/1938523815.htm?ac=206978287

For that price, as you can see, you don't get to see it power up and in action... I guess that would require 5 grand ?......

Plus, I don't even LIKE the 576 ! I find it ugly :-/  I am not into '70's Tek industrial design at all  :(
I do like my rack mount 5111A but that's about it...

I much prefer the old tube based 575 curve tracer, but even that one is becoming rare and over priced... I see one in Japen for 1,200 Euros, and one in the US for 500 euros / 600 dollars !

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Tektronics-Type-575-Transistor-Curve-Tracer-S4243/312721154042?hash=item48cfa21ffa:g:JNIAAOSw271dRFaG

So I have given up even on the 575.

So in order to keep the budget under control, yet still use some cool looking classic piece of Tek gear.... my idea is to use my Tek type 502 (or my 502A, but I prefer the look of my 502), since it's an XY scope. I could use it to display the curves. I could also use it to tap all the required voltages to test the tubes with real world voltages. I would get exactly the plate voltages used in Tek scopes. It would also save me from building a HV power supply.
Of course I could also tap the heater voltage to drive the filaments. That low voltage could also conveniently be used to derive 5V DC for digital stuff, like a micro-controller.

So the idea is to design a curve tracer around the 502.  I guess it could be made fairly compact since the HV and LV supply and display, are provided by the 502. So I would need to implement the Micro to drive the thing, and some analog circuitry to be able to vary the plate voltage, and measure plate current.

That " uTracer " tester linked  a few pages ago, seems to do basically that, so I could study the schematics if available, to reduce development time of my own tester.   uTracer displays on a computer though... not proficient with PC programming, and prefer to display on the 502 anyway.

My idea is more a standalone tester, with an LCD display, and a retro look design so as to blend with the 502 scope. So might do a custom folded sheet design, painted Tek blue, and using Tek knobs from some of my donor tube Teks, I don't know...

Also, tester could be made compact for another reason : the very limited number of different tube sockets found in Tek scopes ....like.... 2 ? 3 maybe ?  Apart from the big rectifier tube in the power supply, looks to me like all the other tubes use the same socket ?!

Anyway, it would also of course be  a nice little design exercise, as I miss designing stuff ! So far since reviving the hobby 5 years ago, I have spent all my time building the lab and fixing broken test gear, then fixing other people's stuff ! . At some point I would like to start designing stuff again...

I would also like to use that tester to characterize Zener diodes or other discrete semi-conductors.

For example I remember the SMPS of a Tek 2215 scope I fixed. Would not power up. Traced it down to a bad 6.8V Zener diode that regulated the supply for the PWM chip that drives the preregulator. It was not shorted or open circuit. Rather, it would "regulate" at a much lower voltage, and regulate very poorly at that, ie had a very high dynamic impedance. Would have loved to be able to disaply it I/V curve on a tester !  :)

Anyway, just yet another little design project on my list.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, bd139, factory

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87744 on: April 10, 2021, 06:52:06 pm »
I’m slowly working on a curve tracer. To the point I had a working low voltage prototype. It slowly mutated into an SMU  :popcorn:

Excellent DIY unit here: http://www.paulvdiyblogs.net/2017/12/building-curve-tracer.html

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87745 on: April 10, 2021, 07:06:35 pm »
Oh, so you fancy your own CT as well ! Strange how people keep designing their own, when there is already several devices / designs available out there... as for me, it's just for the fun of designing stuff, also having have a custom piece of gear since I am too critical I guess, and finally .... I don't have money to buy a curve tracer, even that uTracer one is still 200 Euros.. for that price I might as well finance the design of my own tester.

Thanks for the link !  With several DIY tester designs out there, and the lovely service manuals/schematics/theory of operation of the old Tek CT's, I guess there is plenty enough material to guide me in my endeavour.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:09:45 pm by Vince »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87746 on: April 10, 2021, 07:08:06 pm »
Oh yes. Similar reason - proper ones go for a lot of money.  >:(

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #87747 on: April 10, 2021, 07:08:29 pm »
WOw.... I just can't keep up with the amount of traffic here,it's insane.. I don't even have time to reply to people... messages quickly get lost behind 10 pages of other stuff. I Guess either reply in within 10 minutes, or give up replying altogether... which would be rude..

Hang in there Vince, we don't want to lose you!  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87748 on: April 10, 2021, 07:19:25 pm »
And speaking of vacuum tubes. The other day I mentioned that the 7586 nuvistor in the Type 321A is taking upwards of 30 minutes to stabilize. Well all of sudden the little nuvistor “woke up” and within 5 minutes or so is stable. Which is more than acceptable. I've seen this before especially with nuvistors and to a lesser extent with larger tubes. I have a theory as to what process is occurring here and I'd like some input.

As you know nuvistors are very small and almost look like a transistor. Inside there is a “getter” and it's function is to absorb any free gasses or ions floating around inside the vacuum envelope. Well after many years...20, 30, 40....of no applied power these gasses and ions may start break free from the getter and poison the cathode. And because of the small structures involved it doesn't take much for the cathode to get contaminated. Initially powering up after all those years those contaminates need to boil off the cathode and be absorbed by the getter again. But it may take many cycles for the cathode to clean itself.

Make sense or am I off base?

Makes sense to me, Shango066 on youtube has had this happen with old TVs/radios that haven't been used for decades, they can get better with extended use. But not always, sometimes they are knackered and that was the reason they got retired from use in the first place.

Re: trying to rejuvenate Trintron CRT's from a few pages back, Shango066 has tried & failed with a knackered one at some point in the last year, I'm sure he said it rarely works with Trintron CRT's and can sometimes make them worse. If a brightner was fitted then it's probably a waste of time trying to rejuvenate them.

David

Shango066 is making this claim from a statistical base of one?

I worked on Picture Monitors for 10 years, & found that, as I believe I commented, you get about one, or maybe two rejuvenations out of Trinitrons, with delta tubes being much the same.

If you are using Monitors in analog TV broadcasting you can't get away with the sort of results you could tolerate in domestic use. where you might get more chances.

In fairness, I was doing this between 1989 & 1999, so the oldest pix tubes I "rejuved" were probably not much more than 25 years old at the maximum, most being less.

A 40 year old pix tube of any type is unlikely to be successfully revived, especially, as not knowing its history, it may have been rejuvenated several times already.

Firstly he generally works on consumer grade stuff, which is very unlikely to have the same quality or design life as professional broadcast grade stuff, I'm fairly certain he discusses TV issues with others, I think Jordan Piers has been mentioned a few times, I see radiotvphononut left a comment about bad luck with rejuvenating Trinitron CRT's too on the video in question.
He can usually tell if the CRT is going to be weak based on things such as; a brightener transformer being fitted, the screen? controls turned all the way up and of course using one of the many CRT testers he has.

The recent Sony video with the bad CRT (no green).

David

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87749 on: April 10, 2021, 07:21:53 pm »
Hang in there Vince, we don't want to lose you!  ;)

I try to xrunner, I try but it's a challenge !  :-DD

I will try to go one step farther into TEA.... that discord thing. Only recently heard about it. Don't know how it works. Last saturday I tried to connect to it but it was not seamless... I failed.   IIRC I had to first FIND the chatroom for TEA... so I entered the keyword " TEA " but of course I was flooded with irrelevant entries ! So I did not even locate our TEA room... also, ISTR I was then asked for some password, some "invitation" or something, like I could not simply spy on the chatroom but had to show my ID card and passport and driving license before I am allowed to enter the scene.

So if someone could give a link direct to the TEA chatroom, with relevant directions as to how to get in there, password, "invitation" or whatever it is that I need to do in order to participate, or at least watch silently... thanks in advance !

Last time I was in a chat room was in 1998 IIRC, at the library at uni, was this thing called " IRC " or something, if I am not mistaken....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:24:09 pm by Vince »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf