Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14816629 times)

K0ELB and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #87825 on: April 11, 2021, 02:34:38 pm »
Yeah it’s batshit at the moment. Seller’s market.

I just bounced a Mizuho PA I paid £15 for at £60  :-DD.  Untested no returns spares or for parts only  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87826 on: April 11, 2021, 02:41:11 pm »
Email this morning from Keysight ...  :popcorn:

Oh lordy! Goes this mean that we get to see a comic book superhero version of Daniel from Keysight Marketing ripping his shirt off?  :)

[For those who haven't seen enough of Keysight Marketing's video output: I have a teensy suspicion that when he's not playing Keysight's front-man that Daniel might quite possibly be as flamboyantly camp as a tree full of monkeys on acid. I don't know whether he's straight or not, but he definitely veers towards camp.]
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, syau

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87827 on: April 11, 2021, 02:46:19 pm »
Well that explains the signs on the sanitiser dispensers at my local hospital :palm:

No such signs here that I've seen. I guess our drunks are smarter or perhaps they can't read. And that is surprising considering one of our favorite past times is to sue people/companies. After all, we need printed in plain sight "coffee is hot"  :palm:

And the flip side is you can buy "rust stain remover" that contains hydrofluoric acid  :palm: :scared:
www.amazon.com/Whink-1281-10OZ-Stain-Remover/product-reviews/B000LNQNM0?reviewerType=all_reviews

This is absolutely fucking insane, that such a dangerous chemical is available so easily. What's next, rat poison with 210Po as the active ingredient? Amazon should be thoroughly pilloried for this.

I don't think you can lay this at Amazon's door (although there are about a million other crimes that you could) they are just a box shifter, less expert than your local hardware store. Any blame ought to rest with the manufacturers putting a product like this out for general sale. Heck, if you bought HF from Sigma-Aldrich or any other supplier of chemicals to people that they expect to know what they are buying, it would still come with scarier and larger warning labels on it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #87828 on: April 11, 2021, 03:09:22 pm »

Oh lordy! Goes this mean that we get to see a comic book superhero version of Daniel from Keysight Marketing ripping his shirt off?  :)

[For those who haven't seen enough of Keysight Marketing's video output: I have a teensy suspicion that when he's not playing Keysight's front-man that Daniel might quite possibly be as flamboyantly camp as a tree full of monkeys on acid. I don't know whether he's straight or not, but he definitely veers towards camp.]

Probably cross dresses too.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, syau

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87829 on: April 11, 2021, 03:16:41 pm »
Yeah it’s leveraging the cheap recycling of old material really. The original is here:

https://youtu.be/Ac7G7xOG2Ag

There’s a trend of recycling old stuff now rather than come up with something new. Typical stuff like remakes really kill me to be honest. Battlestar Galactica is a fine example. This tends to erase the old version and the original creative effort.

This is one of the joys of series like The Expanse; it’s not recycled and they put some serious effort into it.

My current favourite output on terrestrial TV is "Public Eye", originally transmitted 1965-1975. Alfred Burke plays Frank Marker, the titular private enquiry agent. A genuinely different story each week. Each story original not clichéd and predictable, and most definitely not a rehash of the storyline from something made or written 10/20/30..100 years previously. No constant background music telegraphing every bit of the action or telling me how I ought to be feeling at what I'm watching. Basically, something that avoids every evil of modern TV/Movie drama.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87830 on: April 11, 2021, 03:20:29 pm »

Probably cross dresses too.  ::)

The fact that I can imagine him in a frock, thoroughly camping things up, without any effort put into imagining the same does seem to add weight to this bit of gossip mongering.  :)

For the avoidance of doubt, any remarks about camping about, cross dressing and the like do not imply any condemnation of the same. Heck, if I were to exclude folks like that I'd be missing half my friends.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 03:23:31 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87831 on: April 11, 2021, 03:51:44 pm »
For those interested in old Tektronix plugins:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Rohde-Schwarz-Tektronix-und-andere-Gerate/313486687709

(Double letter and 5x types)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87832 on: April 11, 2021, 04:19:15 pm »
One fpr the Panaplex fanboys
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Phase-Meter-Phi-PH1/265108940736?
The display is a standard digital panel meter

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #87833 on: April 11, 2021, 04:28:07 pm »
For those of us who wanted some OCXO playthings but don't feel the NEED for 10. This seller has a twofor sale reduced for 3 hours more eBay auction: #143779790317 now for the waiting......  :)
You rat bastard.   I stayed away because of the prices for 10 - but now I am waiting on two pair ..... all thanks to you.

Harrumph! *crosses arms and glowers*

See how you ozzies are!!! I posted that same exact listing 2 weeks ago when I bought mine... at the same price!!!  :rant:

mnem
*toddles off to nuke a bicycle headlamp*

In TEA years that is lifetimes and likely 30 pages ago add to that the Server Dumpster fire hiatus and my 50+ year old brain .....

And most of all Evilbay recommended it as I looked at the 10 buy listing  a second time :-DD

Mnem - don't feel too badly about that.  Your contribution came in the early days of the exchanges where I had "switched off" to that particular subject.  Bean came along later, when my guard was down .... and now I'm seeing GPSDO references everywhere I look!!

It seems timenuttery is now seeping into my consciousness.    Oh, hell.  :palm:

mnem

...helping infect you with time-nuttery was the delicious frosting on that cupcake.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:23:17 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87834 on: April 11, 2021, 04:43:29 pm »
Commiserations on it being Harp.  :)

Can you really still get that stuff? I haven't seen that on a pump or even in a can in the UK for years. Given the swill that a worrying number of Britons will drink under the label "lager" it might be surprising that we've given it the cold shoulder, but that we have.

It is probably better than some other stuff on that continent; Budwiser isn't good but it positively eclipses Coors.

Whenever I see a Coors all I think about is the CO2 emitted transporting that gnats' piss around. Come to think of it, gnats' piss probably has more flavour.

Oh, so we're back on the "Comparing flavors of local moose pee..." track again...? 'ave we run oot of 'aggis recipes...?

mnem

As long as it's not stinky fish in a tin can...    
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87835 on: April 11, 2021, 04:50:47 pm »
The forum, driven by its users, uses just the right amount of resources.

We would never dump excessive loads on a server - would we!   ::)

*looks at his stash of pithy gifs and snippets buried in the middle of the thread*

Hey, it only takes 5 minutes to load the first time... after that it's fine... :o

mnem

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87836 on: April 11, 2021, 05:04:54 pm »
Well that explains the signs on the sanitiser dispensers at my local hospital :palm:

No such signs here that I've seen. I guess our drunks are smarter or perhaps they can't read. And that is surprising considering one of our favorite past times is to sue people/companies. After all, we need printed in plain sight "coffee is hot"  :palm:

And the flip side is you can buy "rust stain remover" that contains hydrofluoric acid  :palm: :scared:
www.amazon.com/Whink-1281-10OZ-Stain-Remover/product-reviews/B000LNQNM0?reviewerType=all_reviews

This is absolutely fucking insane, that such a dangerous chemical is available so easily. What's next, rat poison with 210Po as the active ingredient? Amazon should be thoroughly pilloried for this.

Lookit the top critical review:

Quote from: Amazon Reviews
Customer Review
Elle En
1.0 out of 5 stars Works, but you’re better off finding a less hazardous rust remover
Reviewed in the United States on March 2, 2019
Item Package Quantity: 1  Verified Purchase
TL/DR: yes, this stuff absolutely works on rust, but I would suggest finding another rust remover whose active ingredient is NOT hydrofluoric acid.

So why the one star? One for actually working, and minus four for safety and to balance out the raving reviews. This should NOT be permitted to be sold as a regular household product. I want to reiterate what a previous reviewer said about this product containing an extremely hazardous substance, which is hydrofluoric acid. I am a biochemist and THIS STUFF IS NO JOKE. It is a 3% solution of HF, which is sufficient to etch glass. In fact, higher concentrations ARE used commercially and by experts to etch glass. Does it work on rust stains? Absolutely. CAN IT BURN through your skin, flesh, AND bone if you get it on you for an extended period of time? YES, IT CAN. Can it dissolve your esophagus and lung tissue if you accidentally break the bottle and inhale a large amount? YES, IT CAN. DO NOT USE WITHOUT GLOVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USE ONLY IN EXTREMELY WELL-VENTILATED AREAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was my failure to not look more deeply into the reviews and find the active ingredient before my purchase. Upon receiving the bottle and reading the fine print, I was extremely surprised by two observations: the presence of the aforementioned active ingredient and the fact that the bottle was NOT appropriately cushioned (there was a sad, deflated air bag inside). There was nothing to really protect the bottle from punctures or leaks in a secondary container (yes, the bottle itself seems sturdy, but I have ordered lotions and soaps that busted during shipment...this could have easily experienced something similar).

Having said all that, again, this stuff works on rust. The curiosity inside me could not resist and I used it to spot treat one rust spot on a shirt. The rust disappears within minutes as described by others. It looks like magic, but it’s science. Some reviewers mentioned that it didn’t work for them...well, they probably weren’t dealing with rust.

But seriously, I would not buy this again, even though it did work on my shirt’s rust spot. If I could turn back time and tell myself not to buy it, I would. Now I have to find a neighboring lab to properly and safely dispose of it.

So... not good for mouthwash then...?  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #87837 on: April 11, 2021, 05:07:01 pm »
I had my eye on another 1905a on eBay, and so I loaded up my trust Gixen, good old reliable sniper tool that it is, with what I thought to be a slightly OTT valuation for what appeared to a dead meter, got this one in the bag thought I. How wrong could I be, massively wrong as it turned out, almost double what I valued it at, it sold for £69.99 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-1905a-Intelligent-Digital-Multimeter-SPARES-REPAIR-/114755468784?nma=true&si=Ws0maXnZa80JKEX1Mg86iNxdPaU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Holy Shit balls does not even begin to cover it, makes we wonder what could my fully functioning 1905a and in a good condition case  could fetch?  :palm:

Utterly bonkers. That's more than I paid for my working one. I might have got it even cheaper if I'd told them they could keep the tilt-stand!   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87838 on: April 11, 2021, 05:08:10 pm »
Just in case someone wants more of the "mystery" analogue boards discussed here(a picture reattached):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3546322/#msg3546322

the seller has put for sale the last two of them, to his credit, no price increase, still 10 euro shillings.

PM me if you have difficulty finding the evilbay link.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

EDIT: He has a few (4) other variants of the board, with different references installed.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:12:25 pm by DC1MC »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87839 on: April 11, 2021, 05:14:48 pm »

When I worked for HP, they respected their customers.

I’m wondering if they identified that their customer base is now weebs.

Look like the marketing team at Keysight are trying to be "cool".

This was also questionable.

Also this one

I think I'm going to skip the There's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back again... regret and proceed directly to 2 minutes wasted penning a dismissive missive aboot it and be glad of the net savings. ;)

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87840 on: April 11, 2021, 05:30:09 pm »
Just in case someone wants more of the "mystery" analogue boards discussed here(a picture reattached):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3546322/#msg3546322

the seller has put for sale the last two of them, to his credit, no price increase, still 10 euro shillings.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

EDIT: He has a few (4) other variants of the board, with different references installed.

Looks like somebelly cleared him oot. Nuthing left like this but individual components and manuals in his inventory now. Oh well.  :-//

mnem
*toddles off to unfuckerize a BBQ*

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #87841 on: April 11, 2021, 05:44:46 pm »
Reasonable priced hp 428B with probe in the US for anyone interested (US only).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203343622823

That 428B is a steal. Someone buy it! (I'm outside the US and have one already, so I don't qualify)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87842 on: April 11, 2021, 05:59:15 pm »
I had my eye on another 1905a on eBay, and so I loaded up my trust Gixen, good old reliable sniper tool that it is, with what I thought to be a slightly OTT valuation for what appeared to a dead meter, got this one in the bag thought I. How wrong could I be, massively wrong as it turned out, almost double what I valued it at, it sold for £69.99 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-1905a-Intelligent-Digital-Multimeter-SPARES-REPAIR-/114755468784?nma=true&si=Ws0maXnZa80JKEX1Mg86iNxdPaU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Holy Shit balls does not even begin to cover it, makes we wonder what could my fully functioning 1905a and in a good condition case  could fetch?  :palm:

Utterly bonkers. That's more than I paid for my working one. I might have got it even cheaper if I'd told them they could keep the tilt-stand!   :-DD
They might have said something like "Its got one! Shit I never knew that, well in that case you owe me a fiver extra for it!"  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87843 on: April 11, 2021, 06:16:40 pm »

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Looks like somebelly cleared him oot. Nuthing left like this but individual components and manuals in his inventory now. Oh well.  :-//

mnem
*toddles off to unfuckerize a BBQ*

Not at all, the seller just re-listed them and other on another account special for the forum members at my request:

Here's the link for the two with the JN reference:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/154410672779

and here's the link for the ones with other references:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/High-Precision-10-V-Reference-Analog-Devices-AD587JN-AD7535JN-5x-OP177/154410695222

Cheers,
DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, syau

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87844 on: April 11, 2021, 07:00:20 pm »
One fpr the Panaplex fanboys
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265108940736
The display is a standard digital panel meter

With any luck it will require 110V AC to run, quite a few bare panel meters of that type but they are all in the US.

Another one with dual display that has been on my watch list all week, I have no intension of bidding by the way.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114756914757

David
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:05:28 pm by factory »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87847 on: April 11, 2021, 07:04:41 pm »
What the fuck price was that  :palm:

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87848 on: April 11, 2021, 07:13:38 pm »

Must be a select few that get that email, I just got a bog standard email about the Smart thick-as-pig-shit Bench Essentials Series.

David

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87849 on: April 11, 2021, 07:15:07 pm »
Ah yes the new “seriously I could get a whole bench of kit for the price of one of those?” Series.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf