Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549487 times)

TERRA Operative, SashPlane, Gertjan, Wolfgang and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #87950 on: April 12, 2021, 10:55:31 pm »

This meal was 2 days in the making...

...and worth every minute just to see the smile on her face.
  ;D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline sarge

• Contributor
  • If humans can make it, humans can break it.
« Reply #87951 on: April 12, 2021, 11:05:06 pm »
I am, actually. I have chokes on nearly every single wire in here to help with the interference, and I even have three (!!) wireless access points going on. One of them is the starlink router, and will eventually put the dish directly on my main network. In due time! That said though, the noise floor and overall interference is actually quite minimal, and my SDR's/ham radios don't pick up *that* much noise. If anything, I see more interference from my damn refrigerator than anything else  :-DD

For amusement purposes, you all will probably get a kick out of this, then -
Yes, that's my living room. I'm crazy and I know it.

You're not crazy. One bedroom apartment here and this is my living room.

And it overflows into the bedroom.

I love it  :D

Once I get a bigger boat, I shall continue my collection.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #87952 on: April 12, 2021, 11:08:43 pm »
FFS ...  :palm:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Goldener-Commodore-C64-Jubilaumsmodell-1986-einmillionster-C64-in-Deutschland/143998258361?hash=item2186f70cb9:g:lvwAAOSwfrNgadV3

Woah!  That is nuts.  Time to go look in the barn at SWMBO's mothers place.  I think I have a stack or 4 or 5 in there, along with at least one C128....

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #87953 on: April 12, 2021, 11:16:19 pm »
  • Keeping the streak going ... yet another TEA item ordered as of yesterday. It's an hp 437B power meter.

eBay auction: #114616655678

The seller seems to have a stack of them. The price is only $37.50 fully tested. It's the same group I got these two latest hp units from, so I trust the seller now.

But, of course, that does not include the sensor cable (hp 11730A), or a sensor available wherever you can find them. I'd probably go with the 8481A: -30 to +20 dBm, 10 MHz to 18 GHz. Also need attenuators if you want to measure over +20 dBm, but I have those on-hand. Most I would measure would be ~ +50 dBm.

So, it remains to be seen, not if, but how badly I will get reamed over those two necessary items. I know they are wanting $79 just for a used cable.

For the sensor ... ouch.  :palm:

Exactly that.  There was a seller in the Montreal area selling a bunch of those for $35CAD.  I do not see the ad posted anymore. 
He also had a set of two with a single cable and single sensor for $350CAD.
(Same seller was selling a couple of HP 5326B; one of which was the one I purchased.)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87954 on: April 12, 2021, 11:54:09 pm »
Why did the RAF purchase the C17 and the Airbus A400M? Don't they basically fulfill overlapping roles?
Yes they do to an extent, but they both have different load capacity and operational requirements. The C17 has the largest load space and can carry 69 tons while the A400M carries has a smaller hold and can manage 37 tons and so the A400M is the more resourceful for those seeking to transport items to dangerous locations because of the risk of sucking dirt into the engines on unmade surfaces with the jet engines of the C17.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:53:40 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87955 on: April 13, 2021, 12:03:20 am »
I am, actually. I have chokes on nearly every single wire in here to help with the interference, and I even have three (!!) wireless access points going on. One of them is the starlink router, and will eventually put the dish directly on my main network. In due time! That said though, the noise floor and overall interference is actually quite minimal, and my SDR's/ham radios don't pick up *that* much noise. If anything, I see more interference from my damn refrigerator than anything else  :-DD

For amusement purposes, you all will probably get a kick out of this, then -
Yes, that's my living room. I'm crazy and I know it.

And it overflows into the bedroom.

I love it  :D

Once I get a bigger boat, I shall continue my collection.

hey....that almost looks like an old stratcom patch on the monitor.

hmmmmm.   maybe 1108th?
free range primate

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #87956 on: April 13, 2021, 12:09:41 am »
Exactly that.  There was a seller in the Montreal area selling a bunch of those for $35CAD.  I do not see the ad posted anymore. 
He also had a set of two with a single cable and single sensor for $350CAD.
(Same seller was selling a couple of HP 5326B; one of which was the one I purchased.)

I'll be receiving the meter Wednesday. I'll check it out to the extent I can. I can turn on the 50 MHz power reference and measure it with my own gear. If it seems OK I'll see about the sensor and cable. I've located an Ebay seller who has about eight 8481A sensors, and they are all freshly calibrated with the paperwork included.

It's only money - you can't take it with you ...  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87957 on: April 13, 2021, 01:07:07 am »
Its 24degC outside, I'm drinking a Harp and doing BBQ. Life is good  :-+

Commiserations on it being Harp.  :)

Can you really still get that stuff? I haven't seen that on a pump or even in a can in the UK for years. Given the swill that a worrying number of Britons will drink under the label "lager" it might be surprising that we've given it the cold shoulder, but that we have.

Poms used to drink the most godawful crud------Watney's "Red", anyone?
The absolutely worst that I ever drank was called "Alsopp's" lager, which came in a sickly yellow can, predicting the contents.

The Chandris line ships used to stock up on whatever they got cheapest, from Alsopp's as the worst, through decreasing levels of awfulness, via "Fix"(arrrgghh!), Courage lager (Blecchh!), up to reasonable to good (Oranjeboom, Beck's, VB, etc.).

Coming off the ship in the UK, we were confronted mainly by a desolate waste on the beer front, with a few tolerable, like the aforementioned "Harp", Carling black label, Newcastle Brown, "Ewer's Lager" from Scotland, & a few others.

That was, of course, in the bad old days, pre the "Real Ale" movement!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87958 on: April 13, 2021, 01:13:28 am »
Harp is dead in the UK since tesco introduced “value lager”. Also surprisingly I found out that white lightning, favourite of tramps, is now somewhat respected and the tramps are drinking strongbow ?!???

An earlier generation drank Srongbow back in 1971, as it was pretty cheap, you could buy it in a bigger bottle than other grog, & it fit nicely inside a surplus army greatcoat.
It seems they are just "returning to their roots!"

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87959 on: April 13, 2021, 01:14:52 am »

Can you really still get that stuff? I haven't seen that on a pump or even in a can in the UK for years. Given the swill that a worrying number of Britons will drink under the label "lager" it might be surprising that we've given it the cold shoulder, but that we have.

The absolutely worst that I ever drank was called "Alsopp's" lager, which came in a sickly yellow can, predicting the contents.

The Chandris line ships used to stock up on whatever they got cheapest, from Alsopp's as the worst, through decreasing levels of awfulness, via "Fix"(arrrgghh!), Courage lager (Blecchh!), up to reasonable to good (Oranjeboom, Beck's, VB, etc.).

Coming off the ship in the UK, we were confronted mainly by a desolate waste on the beer front, with a few tolerable, like the aforementioned "Harp", Carling black label, Newcastle Brown, "Ewer's Lager" from Scotland, & a few others.

Woaa, so many beer snobs. I guess I'm not going to tell you what I drink in term of wine and where I get it.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87960 on: April 13, 2021, 01:37:45 am »
I'm a total wine heathen. I like nice sweet red wines; the kind uncle Giuseppe and his wife served with lasagna or cheese and crusty bread. I also like a snort or three of grappa for dessert.* :-DD I have also drunk wine from a box and liked it, so there.

mnem
*After that... who cares...?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:45:05 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87961 on: April 13, 2021, 02:05:36 am »

Woaa, so many beer snobs. I guess I'm not going to tell you what I drink in term of wine and where I get it.  :-DD

Hey, we won't judge, unless you tell us it's white, comes from Canadian Tire in gallon plastic containers, and would go down well with a certain generation of Austrians.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87962 on: April 13, 2021, 02:07:43 am »
I'm a total wine heathen. I like nice sweet red wines; the kind uncle Giuseppe and his wife served with lasagna or cheese and crusty bread. I also like a snort or three of grappa for dessert.* :-DD I have also drunk wine from a box and liked it, so there.

mnem

I've told you before, its supposed to be drinking champagne from a ladies shoe, not the shoe box.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #87963 on: April 13, 2021, 02:08:21 am »

mnem

Nothing WRONG with variations in a Red. Ice Chilled Lambrusco on a hot day or a full blooded Aussie Merlot all have their place so long as you avoid the $2 chuck versions  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87964 on: April 13, 2021, 02:22:30 am »

Hey, we won't judge, unless you tell us it's white, comes from Canadian Tire in gallon plastic containers, and would go down well with a certain generation of Austrians.  :)

Well it's blue. They say its windshield washer, but taste delicious. Really dry and robust.

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87965 on: April 13, 2021, 03:37:00 am »

mnem

I've told you before, its supposed to be drinking champagne from a ladies shoe, not the shoe box.

If I have the lady's shoe in my hand, my lips are gonna be entirely too busy somewhere else on said lady's anatomy. My name is not Al Bundy, and I don't sell shoes. >:D

mnem
"And if someone chains a fair maiden outside my cave, it is not my head I'm gonna put in her lap, either..."   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:39:30 am by mnementh »

Offline KK6IL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87966 on: April 13, 2021, 04:03:24 am »
We used an Optimation like that one at Wavetek about 1970 to do AC calibration on their differential voltmeters. Didn't depend on to for a calibrated output voltage but measured with a Holt thermal converter for accuracy. Don't know where you would find the oversized banana plugs for the HV output these days.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #87967 on: April 13, 2021, 04:18:54 am »
My coockie or what it arranges to stay logged in... does not work.. i keep being logged out and when i log in again i am not in this treath again..
any advice on this guys?

I had the same problem .... what worked for me is do not go to page 3496 of this thread.  All the other pages (so far) seem to work except that one.
That was the current page right about the time of the data centre fire...

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #87968 on: April 13, 2021, 04:46:46 am »
 :'( Poor little Gossen appears to be Gonnen .... Overdue by nearly two weeks so I asked for and got a refund. Hope it finds a nice home.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87969 on: April 13, 2021, 06:51:41 am »
Think they just imported some UPS staff from here  :-DD

We don't need no stinkin' illegal aliens.....send them back.  :P :-DD

Chuck 'em in the Harbour?
Has proved its worth...

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87970 on: April 13, 2021, 06:52:51 am »

You're both into green walls!  |O
Pink curtains too ?  :P

Kiss my arse...and ass too.  :P :-DD

Isn't that the dwagon's job?   ;D :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87971 on: April 13, 2021, 07:38:10 am »
I guess it had to happen sooner or later. UPS screwed up somehow. The Mouser order got to the Kingston distribution center at 04:00 hours this morning but never got out for delivery. Now tracking says tomorrow (Tuesday).  ::)

This would be comfortable for me. The logistics in DE is a real PITA now. DHL parcel (to be ontopic with my rant: This is a µCurrent Gold):

Announced for pickup on 2021-03-31.
Pickup on 2021-04-06

[...] Hanging around

[...] Hanging around

[...] Hanging around

[...] Hanging around

[...] Hanging around

Prepare for transport on 2021-04-12
Transport to destination on 2021-04-13

So if I am lucky I will receive it this week.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87972 on: April 13, 2021, 07:46:49 am »
I guess it had to happen sooner or later. UPS screwed up somehow. The Mouser order got to the Kingston distribution center at 04:00 hours this morning but never got out for delivery. Now tracking says tomorrow (Tuesday).  ::)

This would be comfortable for me. The logistics in DE is a real PITA now. DHL parcel (to be ontopic with my rant: This is a µCurrent Gold):

Announced for pickup on 2021-03-31.
Pickup on 2021-04-06

[...] Hanging around

[...] Hanging around

[...] Hanging around

[...] Hanging around

[...] Hanging around

Prepare for transport on 2021-04-12
Transport to destination on 2021-04-13

So if I am lucky I will receive it this week.

Ordered at Welectron?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87973 on: April 13, 2021, 08:00:24 am »

Well it's blue. They say its windshield washer, but taste delicious. Really dry and robust.
Hey, did you just steal Meds special brew of wine??
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87974 on: April 13, 2021, 08:05:19 am »

You're both into green walls!  |O
Pink curtains too ?  :P

Kiss my arse...and ass too.  :P :-DD

Isn't that the dwagon's job?   ;D :-DD
Well I guess you could say that you've just been FIRED!!  >:D :o
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf