Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550800 times)

cf4044, Vince, TSCOLAN and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88350 on: April 16, 2021, 07:03:03 pm »
[...]

[...]

You seem to have a thing about redheads! 

So do I...  and blondes, and brunettes, black haired, ....   but I digress!   :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #88351 on: April 16, 2021, 07:20:29 pm »
I think the  Necromancer's Creed applies: "Do not call up that which you cannot also put down."

I'm over 50; I think I'm due for a little excitement before I check out. This isn't just for me; I'm thinking of the both of them...  >:D

You seem to have a thing about redheads!    So do I...  and blondes, and brunettes, black haired, ....   but I digress!   :D

Inconvenient females... *sigh* ...are the only kind who are worth the effort.  ;)

mnem
*bent*
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:48:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88352 on: April 16, 2021, 07:29:08 pm »
I worked out that red headed women are fine as long as they don’t know where you live and you have a pay as you go handset.

Metabolic side effects of paracetamol are easily sidestepped by popping a couple of 30mg codeine phosphate’s instead  :-DD.

Got given a box of them for my rib. Haven’t taken any yet as ibuprofen appears to be working fine. Will save them for when I’m bored  :-DD

Somebody I knew at school got hooked on codeine and had difficulties getting off it!

I've got several strong-ish painkillers that I was given after various operations. I think I took some on one occasion.

Been there done that. Broke my ankle back in 2008 and had to get off a fairly hefty dose. I was one miserable fucker for a couple of months but did it cold turkey.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #88353 on: April 16, 2021, 08:15:22 pm »
Metabolic side effects of paracetamol are easily sidestepped by popping a couple of 30mg codeine phosphate’s instead  :-DD.

Got given a box of them for my rib. Haven’t taken any yet as ibuprofen appears to be working fine. Will save them for when I’m bored  :-DD
They were the only thing that would tame a session of sciatica I had couple years back. Just one gave 23 hrs relief and could pretty much function as normal.  :phew:
Brilliant stuff when you really need it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88354 on: April 16, 2021, 08:51:05 pm »

Yikes, the four channel amplifier that came with the 564B uses eight of the the bloody things in the font end.

I still need to haul that stuff in from the car but I need to shuffle things around downstairs to make space first.  Then they're going to go on the bench one at a time to see what the score is with each one.  The upshot is it is Friday which means weekend and right now that's very important.

As long as they are the original in place nuvistors they should fall into place fairly easily but after several hours burn-in you'll have to fiddle with them again. After that they should be stable.

It's when you replace them that the fun begins as my quickie experiment clearly shows.

And yes, you still owe us better pictures of your latest haul.  ;D 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #88355 on: April 16, 2021, 09:32:34 pm »

Been there done that. Broke my ankle back in 2008 and had to get off a fairly hefty dose. I was one miserable fucker for a couple of months but did it cold turkey.

I got given morphine when I broke my ankle (and a bunch of the small bones in the foot, this was a car crash) in 2010 and found that this opiate high was a very desirable affair. Only got two doses, and nothing more than that. I know what I'll be asking for if I'm in pain, and I know what I'll stay away from for recreational purposes..  Funny enough it seems from our family anecdotal data, that opiates are an either-or thing. Some of my family get no pain relief and instead become straight up angry off it. I'm just in a warm tub of happy...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88356 on: April 16, 2021, 09:52:40 pm »
Codeine & Hydrocodone are the same way for me. Don't kill the pain... they just sortof let me step back from it, look at it... roll it around like a little ball of fire in the back of my mind... but it does NOT go away.

one Tramadol, one Acetaminophen and 800-ish mg Ibuprofen tho... that's a pretty good pain cocktail for when I'm really miserable but need to function. Drops the scream aboot 40-60dB, give the ibus a chance to beat the inflammation down. The Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen have a synergistic effect, and the Tramadol is a good muffler to let them do their job.

Bad part is extended use on the Acetaminophen/Ibuprofen combo really beats up your liver, so occasional use only.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88357 on: April 16, 2021, 10:07:48 pm »
Recently on ebay:

Code: [Select]
10x 0.1R      0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 1R        0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 10R       0.05%  Burster Type 1166
10x 100R      0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 1000R     0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 10000R    0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 100000R   0.02%  Burster Type 1164

Today arrival:
0.1 Ohm

1 Ohm

10 Ohm

100 Ohm

1000 Ohm

10000 Ohm

100000 Ohm

Have not decided yet, if I'll built a resistor decade box or if I'll make some resistor calibration sets.
What do you think?

Edit:

Oh, and it is page 35358)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:31:44 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88358 on: April 16, 2021, 10:11:45 pm »
Have not decided yet, if I'll built a resistor decade box or if I'll make some resistor calibration sets.
What do you think?

Make calibration sets, I register for one :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88359 on: April 16, 2021, 10:14:38 pm »
Oh those are a bit sexy. I’d skip the substitution box as it may lead to accidental destruction at which point it gets expensive to find a suitable single resistor replacement. If it were me I’d box one of each decade up in a Hammond box with PTFE feed through terminals sticking out the top to connect 4 wire clips to. And keep a load of spares. Lifetime supply of cal kits.

I’ve got a similar but cheap thing going with some milspec 0.1% resistors but they are still in bags  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:18:16 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88360 on: April 16, 2021, 10:18:36 pm »

Yikes, the four channel amplifier that came with the 564B uses eight of the the bloody things in the font end.

I still need to haul that stuff in from the car but I need to shuffle things around downstairs to make space first.  Then they're going to go on the bench one at a time to see what the score is with each one.  The upshot is it is Friday which means weekend and right now that's very important.

As long as they are the original in place nuvistors they should fall into place fairly easily but after several hours burn-in you'll have to fiddle with them again. After that they should be stable.
bre
It's when you replace them that the fun begins as my quickie experiment clearly shows.

And yes, you still owe us better pictures of your latest haul.  ;D

I do.  Holy crow, I don't know if you saw the headlines that just dropped up our way but I'm going for a coffee with a friend two towns away before that becomes forbidden at the stroke of midnight.  This has moved up unloading the SUV from tomorrow morning to right now.  564B and the extra amplifier are inside.  I just moved the 547 inside.  Wow, I can see how hefting that thing around did some damage.  One more scope to go once I catch my breath.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88361 on: April 16, 2021, 10:48:40 pm »
Oh those are a bit sexy. I’d skip the substitution box as it may lead to accidental destruction at which point it gets expensive to find a suitable single resistor replacement. If it were me I’d box one of each decade up in a Hammond box with PTFE feed through terminals sticking out the top to connect 4 wire clips to. And keep a load of spares. Lifetime supply of cal kits.

I’ve got a similar but cheap thing going with some milspec 0.1% resistors but they are still in bags  :-DD

Bizzackly what I was going to suggest.  :-+

mnem

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88362 on: April 16, 2021, 10:51:59 pm »
Hopefully this’ll tide you guys over for now.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88363 on: April 16, 2021, 10:58:12 pm »
Well, I don't see any fire yet, so that's a positive...  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:00:03 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88364 on: April 16, 2021, 11:11:24 pm »

Bizzackly what I was going to suggest.  :-+

Actually... now that I think of it... I think I'd take the switch body off the detent mechanism, invert the PR board and mount them all in a row with standoffs so the switch contact pads are exposed. That would give you ready-made resistance standard arrays from 0.1Ω to 1MΩ; just put your probes on the nice silvered switch contacts... That is, if these are the switches I think they are... or solder proper terminals big enough for 4-wire connection at each junction between the resistors...

mnem

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88365 on: April 16, 2021, 11:40:21 pm »

I do.  Holy crow, I don't know if you saw the headlines that just dropped up our way but I'm going for a coffee with a friend two towns away before that becomes forbidden at the stroke of midnight.  This has moved up unloading the SUV from tomorrow morning to right now.  564B and the extra amplifier are inside.  I just moved the 547 inside.  Wow, I can see how hefting that thing around did some damage.  One more scope to go once I catch my breath.

I wasn't aware of happenings up there so I pulled up CBC News and saw the new restrictions. Is that just Ontario or all of Canada? 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88366 on: April 16, 2021, 11:58:09 pm »
Looks like Ontario... or as the locals call it, "most of civilization, eh..?" :-DD

I just spent over US$400 on a fat-tired bike that can haul my fat arse around to get some exercise... I got to use it once, and now not sure I'll get to again before the season is over.  :o

mnem

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #88367 on: April 17, 2021, 12:20:11 am »
Here's the first pic dump for the hp 437B power meter. As you can see on the serial number label - it was made in the U.K., a nice surprise. The meter is very clean...

You can say that again. Where'd it come from, a lab? Nice catch, xrunner.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #88368 on: April 17, 2021, 12:24:37 am »

It came from this Ebay seller -

msc-llc

I've purchased three hp units from them in the last few weeks. They seem to have a line on good hp stuff, but I don't know where they are coming from.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #88369 on: April 17, 2021, 12:40:04 am »
Yeah, it looks like they got quite the bulk surplus batch of HP gear. How was their packing?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #88370 on: April 17, 2021, 12:55:53 am »
Yeah, it looks like they got quite the bulk surplus batch of HP gear. How was their packing?

Very good packing. They use those expanding instafoam inserts. Very tight and secure. Very fast shipping also. Like I said, I've used them three times in the last month or so, no problems at all.

:-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88371 on: April 17, 2021, 01:31:15 am »

I think the  Necromancer's Creed applies: "Do not call up that which you cannot also put down."

Ok, who was it that called up the Dwagon?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #88372 on: April 17, 2021, 01:45:17 am »
Recently on ebay:

Code: [Select]
10x 0.1R      0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 1R        0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 10R       0.05%  Burster Type 1166
10x 100R      0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 1000R     0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 10000R    0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 100000R   0.02%  Burster Type 1164

Today arrival:

...snipity....

What do you think?

Shame to break them up I would be making a nice wooden box to hold a Laser cut Perspex insert so you can see all of the good bits  8)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom, BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88373 on: April 17, 2021, 05:00:27 am »
It came from this Ebay seller -   msc-llc   I've purchased three hp units from them in the last few weeks. They seem to have a line on good hp stuff, but I don't know where they are coming from.  :-//

Maybe to you below the border, the prices are okay... but up to the GWN, he's high on crack. $249 + $495 S/H on a 54645D, and that's NOT EGS, so Duty on top of it. Pretty sure it doesn't come with any probes either.  :palm:

That's not "High Shipping"... that's "Fuck off, I don't want to be arsed" shipping. ::)

mnem
*huggles his poor 54645A close and toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:02:00 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #88374 on: April 17, 2021, 05:10:48 am »
Scored this today, lucky my cousin spotted it for me, all for AU$90.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, beanflying, factory, jxjbsd

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf