Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14560084 times)

morris6, marcumr, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88425 on: April 17, 2021, 02:04:26 pm »

I do.  Holy crow, I don't know if you saw the headlines that just dropped up our way but I'm going for a coffee with a friend two towns away before that becomes forbidden at the stroke of midnight.  This has moved up unloading the SUV from tomorrow morning to right now.  564B and the extra amplifier are inside.  I just moved the 547 inside.  Wow, I can see how hefting that thing around did some damage.  One more scope to go once I catch my breath.

I wasn't aware of happenings up there so I pulled up CBC News and saw the new restrictions. Is that just Ontario or all of Canada?

All of Canada has the same problem, but to lesser degrees than Ontario.  Quebec locked down 2 weeks before Ontario, which was already too late.

We just got a letter from the school that there are active cases.  Good thing the provincial lock-down is already in place, so we are already at home.

I was going to ask opinions on a couple of current probes, but not going to bother for the moment.  I am not going out for anything in the next few weeks unless it is absolutely necessary.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #88426 on: April 17, 2021, 02:07:08 pm »
Looks like Ontario... or as the locals call it, "most of civilization, eh..?" :-DD

I just spent over US$400 on a fat-tired bike that can haul my fat arse around to get some exercise... I got to use it once, and now not sure I'll get to again before the season is over.  :o

mnem
 :popcorn:

Not to worry, just like TEA you can spend way more than that on a bike.  Actually, you can do that for each type of bike ....
But really, I do all those different types of biking, really I do  >:D

I belong here

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #88427 on: April 17, 2021, 02:25:16 pm »
Am currently trying to decide whether or not to bid on some Weston cells. They are from a so-far reliable vendor, which also happens to be a calibration lab, and appear to be sans-thermometers, so no worries about the mercury in those, but there are still some pretty nasty chemicals in there, and then there's the distinct possibility they won't like being shipped, even if they aren't EOL which is the obvious reason for selling them...

If they are working and saturated, they will be so fragile they won't survive shipping (fragile glass envelope, and fragile crystals in the electrode[1]). OTOH if they are unsaturated, they won't be in spec any longer. A Tinsley dual cell used in a cal lab would be saturated.

They do have two advantages over zener-based sources: low noise and they can be used as thermometers, albeit only over a limited temperature range. The low noise property will still be valid even if the voltage is slightly out of spec. Other than that, they have been superceeded by zener-based designs.

[1] Embiggen for detail:

https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/12/28/a-weston-standard-cell-an-introduction-to-voltnuttery/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:27:45 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #88428 on: April 17, 2021, 02:34:46 pm »
If they are working and saturated, they will be so fragile they won't survive shipping (fragile glass envelope, and fragile crystals in the electrode[1]). OTOH if they are unsaturated, they won't be in spec any longer.

Yes, I can't imagine them surviving any normal shipping. The listing gives no condition classification, so I suspect they are indeed no longer saturated, and are no more than a curiosity, realistically.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standard-Cell-Weston-Normal-Cell-1-Volt/313488809914
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #88429 on: April 17, 2021, 02:35:26 pm »
I've been offered a Philips PM3110 analog scope for about 65$ that is in perfect condition, barely used in its entire life, is it good?

i don't have a scope now and want one without paying anything big, I cannot buy from ebay as shipping will be huge to Jordan.

it has no probes with it, I would need to buy this probe to use it, for 17$.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88430 on: April 17, 2021, 02:55:58 pm »
Hi TEA-crowd*,
sniped a crusty Philips PE1512 power supply just for fun.  :wtf:
Really crusty, damaged binding posts, missing aluminium cap tops for ~44€. Hmm.  :palm:
OTOH they're really nice and handy pieces of lab gear. Worked a lot with them at university, nearly indestructible.

Perhaps those fond memories lead me to bidding a bit too much for a PM1512 in this state:   :palm:

(source: ebay/link)

Needless to say, that I neither have the space nor the need for it, really.   :palm:   :-DD

*-seems I watched too much of the IT-crowd..  :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88431 on: April 17, 2021, 02:57:17 pm »
I've been offered a Philips PM3110 analog scope for about 65$ that is in perfect condition, barely used in its entire life, is it good?

i don't have a scope now and want one without paying anything big, I cannot buy from ebay as shipping will be huge to Jordan.

I would pay $20 for it max. You can do a lot better for $65

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #88432 on: April 17, 2021, 03:12:13 pm »

Yes PSU ripple had crossed my mind however the main amp PSU seems to be working fine as it's still driving the 5 speakers without hum or noticeable distortion and able to blast us out of a 4 car garage when Pink Floyd get played and you crank it right up !  :-DD

So check how the lower voltage auxiliary supplies are generated. Might be a separate winding (with failed bridge rectifier) or some nasty dropper resistors from main amp voltage causing local hot spots on the PCB and nearby components failing ...
Yep all simple stuff you would normally spot with a little experience....spose I should go looking for a SM....oh hang on I've already got one on my Manual folder !  :-DD

Myself, I'd search out which relay(s) is/are rattling first. May not even be in the protection circuit; some of the older models used relays in the input switching and/or had relays that provided impedance matching or put the speakers in series if you switched in an additional pair of speakers on the B channel.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #88433 on: April 17, 2021, 03:17:50 pm »

the problem is there is nothing else on the market except expensive digital stuff

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88434 on: April 17, 2021, 03:25:10 pm »
Patience is key. I have paid $5 for a 200MHz Tektronix scope before. Doubt you’d get that low but there would definitely be better items on the market whenever covid buggers off.

Market is insane like that here too at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 03:27:04 pm by bd139 »

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #88435 on: April 17, 2021, 03:28:09 pm »
Patience is key. I have paid $5 for a 200MHz Tektronix scope before. Doubt you’d get that low but there would definitely be better items on the market whenever covid buggers off.

well, if covid isn't here i would get better offers for sure. but it is here and not gonna go out anytime soon.

previous offers were also higher in price. dunno what to do now.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88436 on: April 17, 2021, 03:32:43 pm »
Five overpriced BWD Mini Labs in the UK...
That's what they call "mini"? :-DD
3+ Decades ago they were in widespread use in Tech Schools and some Uni's locally. Common as muck and by todays (and even back then) a very average Spec. Reason to buy one is a stack of us have used them way back when  ;) As to 'worth' $100 max just for nostalgia.

My condolences. 

They were horrible little turd instruments (and I use that term generously), all piled into a big turd box to make them as hard as possible to fix when they broke down. I made the mistake of buying a couple nearly identical units custom made for RIT just because they were cheap/didn't work at the local "American Science & Surplus" joint. After spending a week doing the insanely difficult disassembly/reassembly needed to fix the PSUs in them, they were the bane of my existence for over a year; never enough digits for anything useful, and the variable PSU powered everything in the box, so when it went down, everything you were working with went down. :palm:

A Hitachi V-212 for nostalgia...? fuckin' a-diddy yes. :-+ One of those overstuffed shit-boxes... Not only no, but Hey-yall NO!!!

mnem
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 03:40:45 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88437 on: April 17, 2021, 03:37:57 pm »
Oof that hurts to look at.

Got to say that the only problem I’ve had with packing quality and amazon was the idiot trying to stuff something through the letter box that won’t fit. Can’t remember what it was but they delivered a replacement the next day  :-//.

Just had to return that Mac mini to them after video ram failure. After 5 months got full refund no questions asked. Can’t beat that. Credit card in positive balance now though  :-DD :popcorn:

Got a nice replacement right here for ya buddy... even have the original boxes, so you know nobelly's gonna try and stuff THAT through a letter box.  :-DD

mnem
Daily dose of Testicular Trauma included at no additional charge... >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88438 on: April 17, 2021, 03:41:19 pm »
Fucktards here would try  :-DD

Just listed half the fucking lego I have lying around since the 80s finally on ebay. Thought I had more but may have sold it 10 years ago or so. Oh well. Still got the space monorail to sell. Ferengi happy.

I have another "cupboard of doom" at my mother's house I'm working through. Annoyingly I was slightly hoping there was an extremely large box of components in there but nope it's mostly rubbish :(

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88439 on: April 17, 2021, 03:59:51 pm »
Looks like Ontario... or as the locals call it, "most of civilization, eh..?" :-DD

I just spent over US$400 on a fat-tired bike that can haul my fat arse around to get some exercise... I got to use it once, and now not sure I'll get to again before the season is over.  :o

mnem
Not to worry, just like TEA you can spend way more than that on a bike.  Actually, you can do that for each type of bike ....
But really, I do all those different types of biking, really I do  >:D

I belong here

Oh, I see the restrictions do include an allowance for "necessary exercise"; I fully intend to exercise that right. ;) Son and I may run into a bit of trouble if we ride to the local community center and shoot hoops like we did t'other day; I might try again if it was just he and I at the court, and if they send us home I wouldn't fight it.    :-+

BTW... the fatbike is now officially mine... I've bled on it, and t'other day I took a tumble off it and scuffed it up. :-DD Shoulder's still a bit sore from where I landed on the grass, but otherwise I'm in remarkably fine fettle after such a incident, given my overall blob of Jello physique.  :o

mnem
"One day at a time..."

The following users thanked this post: bd139, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88440 on: April 17, 2021, 04:17:40 pm »

the problem is there is nothing else on the market except expensive digital stuff

While normally I would say that any working scope is worth $40-50, especially if you don't have one... the PM3110 is 7-10MHz BW depending on revision, so is really mostly only good for audio work.  :P

I dunno... if it were one of the later models with the black face on Kijiji back when I had NOTHING, I'd probably have offered at most $40 (US$30 or so) Canadian pesos for it, and would not have been the least bit concerned if they didn't take it; if they did take it, I'd just write it off as a future X-Y display for a knock-together Junction Tester.  :-//

mnem
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 04:31:33 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88441 on: April 17, 2021, 04:30:56 pm »
Fucktards here would try  :-DD

Just listed half the fucking lego I have lying around since the 80s finally on ebay. Thought I had more but may have sold it 10 years ago or so. Oh well. Still got the space monorail to sell. Ferengi happy.

I have another "cupboard of doom" at my mother's house I'm working through. Annoyingly I was slightly hoping there was an extremely large box of components in there but nope it's mostly rubbish :(

I would literally pay money to see that... like 3 monkeys fukkin' a football...:-DD  I just had to make space for those huge honking' boxes in the back shed, so... yeah.  ::)

Good on ya for gettin' after the Cupboard o' Doom... recently I've been thinking forward to when I have to empty the Trailer o' Doom, and I'll tell ya... it feels a lot like when I had to empty the GPs entire farm (2-story farmhouse, garage, 4 sheds and a barn full of schizz) when we sold out. Like overlooking the Augean Stables, I tell you what...

Oh, and Safari still blows goats. HARD. |O It has to GO...

mnem
*toddles off to find FireFlumph in the App Store*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88442 on: April 17, 2021, 04:33:21 pm »
Check out of the references I built up a few years ago on the 3456A.

This is the 190.0VDC reference, the least stable of my references. It uses one of those cheap (and very noisy) Chinese inverters to take a low voltage DC up to approx 205VDC. Then a regulator with a trimmer to achieve 190VDC. The last 2 digits are constantly dancing around. This reference is suitable for 3.5 digit DMM's and marginal for 4.5 digit DMM's for calibration. 5.5 digit and above no way but at least will give you a ballpark readings.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Kosmic

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #88443 on: April 17, 2021, 05:35:56 pm »

well, if covid isn't here i would get better offers for sure. but it is here and not gonna go out anytime soon.

previous offers were also higher in price. dunno what to do now.

I suspect you know the market conditions in your own country far better than any of us.

The bottom line is, if you need/really want the scope, and can afford it, and there's no other deals to be had, then you should get it.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88444 on: April 17, 2021, 05:39:38 pm »

mnem
Oh, FFS... STILL not available in the App Store for OS X...? How do you Mac people put up with this ass-backwards browser? It forgets every thing I set from one session to the next, basic text stuff like [END] and [HOME] don't work right, even after you do the keyboard setup wizard... and I swear, if it "helps" me one more time by deleting characters when I select text...  :palm:

Gawd, I feel like I'm back in the ol' IE6 daze again... |O |O |O

mnem
+100 for Mint on MacPro
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:57:43 pm by mnementh »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88445 on: April 17, 2021, 05:47:42 pm »

Vegeta is in Jordan. Virtually nil electronics industry so very little choice locally. Import duty is also very high even if you can get a seller to ship to you.

The Philips PM3110 is a very basic 'scope. Better than nothing though.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #88446 on: April 17, 2021, 05:49:06 pm »
On the subject of "packaging" todays operation in that department is one RDI Sparc laptop (About SS5 170MHz) that I finally managed to dig out of storage. It's been promised to a friend who supplied me with 250+ GiB ECC RAM for my Vmware  ESXI server. Long overdue shipment now goes out in a box for a 19" 1HE switch. With the original foam bumpers supported by lots and then some of bubble wrap.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88447 on: April 17, 2021, 05:56:40 pm »

mnem
Oh, FFS... STILL not available in the App Store for OS X...? How do you Mac people put up with this ass-backwards browser? It forgets every thing I set from one session to the next, basic text stuff like [END] and [HOME] don't work right, even after you do the keyboard setup wizard... and I swear, if it "helps" me one more time by deleting characters when I select text...  :palm:

mnem
+100 for Mint on MacPro

Ahhhh... that's more like it; for the next couple months or so anyways... Firefox is dropping support for El Capitan in July.   :palm:

mnem
*kicks Safari to the curb*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88448 on: April 17, 2021, 05:56:59 pm »
This is my 190mVDC, 1.9VDC, and 19VDC reference that many DMM's require for calibration. It's made up of two AD584-M references in series to a voltage divider with trimmers for each output. Not traceable by any means but fine for my use. And it will quickly tell me if one of my DMM's in misbehaving.

Readings after half hour settling time and tweaking.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #88449 on: April 17, 2021, 06:05:06 pm »

mnem

mnem
+100 for Mint on MacPro

No comprendo. I've had Firefox and Chrome as my to-go browsers on OS X since PPC (or almost, but)... Go to mozilla.org and fetch the installer. Same but different for Chrome, if you want it.

Edit: Ah, you realised that the App Store is not the way. Good.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:07:33 pm by mansaxel »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf