Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14781905 times)

morris6, Jambalaya and 196 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88475 on: April 17, 2021, 08:40:07 pm »
It is either Philips PM3110 or ITT OX 710C for about 40JDs (~65$). Both without probes.

Assuming both are in similar in similar condition the ITT wil be a much better 'scope. higher bandwidth and more modern.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88476 on: April 17, 2021, 08:40:30 pm »
sorry, could not resist.

No not having that, those leaktubes are clearly fakes as they haven't spread their mess everywhere.  :-DD
Needs to be more like that drawing that BD posted a while back.

I'll just leave this picture my daughter did of the Duracell Bunny after they destroyed something of hers:

David
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:11:01 pm by factory »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88477 on: April 17, 2021, 08:42:10 pm »
Heads up for the UK boys at least, it seems this weekend there is another £1 max selling fee weekend, I have just received my offer.

Thanks for the heads up.  Got mine too.

Listing mostly Lego this weekend  :-DD

Yes the ePay server crippling promotion is active again, messages is currently unusable for me.  :--

David

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #88478 on: April 17, 2021, 08:59:14 pm »
What you need is an OLD power meter, a 432Aplus 478A sensor, preferrably with option H76. While the sensor is old it allows DC balance and low frequency subsitution. he meter does not have to be in cal just the sensor and a DMM.
This is the standrd for calibrating the calibrators and most sensors.

Thanks Robert. Yes indeed that is what is shown in the power calibration procedure. Now I have an excuse to go back to Ebay.  :-DD

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88479 on: April 17, 2021, 09:14:34 pm »
Recently on ebay:

Code: [Select]
10x 0.1R      0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 1R        0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 10R       0.05%  Burster Type 1166
10x 100R      0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 1000R     0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 10000R    0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 100000R   0.02%  Burster Type 1164

Today arrival:

Have not decided yet, if I'll built a resistor decade box or if I'll make some resistor calibration sets.
What do you think?

Cal boxes. Also pick the best MATCHED three and arrange the binding posts so you can use as a Hamon divider.

Seems a shame if they cut up a complete decade box and sold those individually, certainly looks that way.   :-//

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88480 on: April 17, 2021, 09:20:03 pm »
Five overpriced BWD Mini Labs in the UK - platinum filled Unicorn Poo  :palm: eBay auction: #265105982971

That seller seems to specialize in extremely overpriced stuff, they still have their untested hp 5326B at £360 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254920469496  :palm: I bought both my 5326B & 5327B for less than that including international shipping.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88481 on: April 17, 2021, 09:25:08 pm »
Yes.
Because this is "maxi"  :-DD  :-DD

Yea I've seen his work area. I always envisioned the whole shebang collapsing and imagining the rescue team cutting through all the thousands of pounds of equipment to find a squashed Mr. Carlson.  :-DD

Can't help thinking that setup must be noisy & hot if he were to use a lot of them at the same time.

David

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #88482 on: April 17, 2021, 09:36:06 pm »
Heads up for the UK boys at least, it seems this weekend there is another £1 max selling fee weekend, I have just received my offer.

Yes the ePay server crippling promotion is active again, messages is currently unusable for me.  :--

David

I haven't been invited this time :( But perhaps that is a hint to me to concentrate on birthday planning.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88483 on: April 17, 2021, 10:04:36 pm »

David

Yeah there were delays earlier when I was trying to organise a combined postage on something.

On a positive note though I sold a fair pile of stuff already at stupidly high prices!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88484 on: April 17, 2021, 10:06:40 pm »
Yes.
Because this is "maxi"  :-DD  :-DD

Yea I've seen his work area. I always envisioned the whole shebang collapsing and imagining the rescue team cutting through all the thousands of pounds of equipment to find a squashed Mr. Carlson.  :-DD

Can't help thinking that setup must be noisy & hot if he were to use a lot of them at the same time.

David

I would worry more about earthquakes  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #88485 on: April 17, 2021, 10:20:33 pm »

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88486 on: April 17, 2021, 10:32:01 pm »
It is either Philips PM3110 or ITT OX 710C for about 40JDs (~65$). Both without probes.

Assuming both are in similar in similar condition the ITT wil be a much better 'scope. higher bandwidth and more modern.

Mmmhmmm... 2x 15Mhz... still better than a sharp stick in the eye I suppose...  ???

mnem
Doc Brown called; He wants his temporal displacement monitor back... :-DD

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:34:51 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88487 on: April 17, 2021, 10:38:19 pm »
Yes.  Because this is "maxi"  :-DD  :-DD 
Can't help thinking that setup must be noisy & hot if he were to use a lot of them at the same time.    David

I worry for his survivors, who are gonna have to cart all that enheavyment away someday...  :palm:

mnem
My back screams in terror from me just looking at that... :scared:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #88488 on: April 17, 2021, 10:48:15 pm »
Yes.  Because this is "maxi"  :-DD  :-DD 
Can't help thinking that setup must be noisy & hot if he were to use a lot of them at the same time.    David

I worry for his survivors, who are gonna have to cart all that enheavyment away someday...  :palm:

mnem
My back screams in terror from me just looking at that... :scared:

The fleabay seller I mentioned as having a larger shack that that was thinking along those lines. He was selling stuff to reduce the load on his kids after he died - plus not wanting them to junk it.

Judging buy how little he has put on fleabay, I expect his Alladin's cave is still full of treasure. I keep a weather eye on local auction houses.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #88489 on: April 17, 2021, 10:53:13 pm »

Yes PSU ripple had crossed my mind however the main amp PSU seems to be working fine as it's still driving the 5 speakers without hum or noticeable distortion and able to blast us out of a 4 car garage when Pink Floyd get played and you crank it right up !  :-DD

So check how the lower voltage auxiliary supplies are generated. Might be a separate winding (with failed bridge rectifier) or some nasty dropper resistors from main amp voltage causing local hot spots on the PCB and nearby components failing ...
Yep all simple stuff you would normally spot with a little experience....spose I should go looking for a SM....oh hang on I've already got one on my Manual folder !  :-DD

Myself, I'd search out which relay(s) is/are rattling first. May not even be in the protection circuit; some of the older models used relays in the input switching and/or had relays that provided impedance matching or put the speakers in series if you switched in an additional pair of speakers on the B channel.

mnem
 :-/O
A, B and Rear all working fine and I think Robert might be correct in that the rattler is an AV input but not showing on the display.  :-//
Bad Driver seems to know these units well so will roll with what he's offered.
Within 30min the relay started randomly rattling again but after cycling the input buttons some it seems gone !  :)
Will keep an eye/ear on it.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88490 on: April 17, 2021, 11:21:30 pm »
Is the casing of your DL1200A made from sheet metal? certainly looks that way from the pictures, my later DL1520L is all plastic and would not have survived that crappy packing job.

Yes, the casing is made of some sheet metal, thickness around 0.5mm. Likely some mild steel or something.
Removing the four screws at the bottom and the four feet at the backside and one can remove the casing easily.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88491 on: April 17, 2021, 11:31:14 pm »
Recently on ebay:

Code: [Select]
10x 0.1R      0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 1R        0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 10R       0.05%  Burster Type 1166
10x 100R      0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 1000R     0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 10000R    0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 100000R   0.02%  Burster Type 1164

Today arrival:

Have not decided yet, if I'll built a resistor decade box or if I'll make some resistor calibration sets.
What do you think?

Cal boxes. Also pick the best MATCHED three and arrange the binding posts so you can use as a Hamon divider.

Seems a shame if they cut up a complete decade box and sold those individually, certainly looks that way.   :-//

David

I was told by the seller, that they were part of a Pt100 calibrator simulator.
Not sure, why he removed them but I think, he wanted all the high precision resistors in them.
He is selling some more of these type of resistors but with very special values.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133726996530
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402792461991
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402792471654
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133727010002
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402792347941
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133726915387
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:48:52 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #88492 on: April 17, 2021, 11:38:25 pm »

Mmmhmmm... 2x 15Mhz... still better than a sharp stick in the eye I suppose...  ???

mnem

dunno if you like this scope or not xD

anyway, the one they offered has its traces slightly inclined, not perfectly horizontal. I suppose there is a knob from behind to adjust this? kindly check it if you have the scope or know about it,.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88493 on: April 18, 2021, 12:53:04 am »

anyway, the one they offered has its traces slightly inclined, not perfectly horizontal. I suppose there is a knob from behind to adjust this? kindly check it if you have the scope or know about it,.

There should be a "trace rotation" control either on the rear panel or inside the case to make the traces horizontal.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #88494 on: April 18, 2021, 01:12:44 am »
This is not a bad deal if you need a quality RTD as a reference eBay auction: #333827379223 If you are looking to pair it with non Fluke just check out the Ro first or you will need to apply a fudge to the results when you get to uber accuracy.

The 1987 catalog states the Y2037 is a 100Ω RTD probe, it should work with anything that requires RTD 100Ω or PT100 sensors. Same wiring colours as the new probe I bought from Farnell for my second hp 2802A thermometer.

David

The issue is the R0 the Fluke/Burns gear uses a different purity of Platinum to what HP for example base theirs on. Just a maths fudge to be aware of when you get accurate.

example and the maths https://www.heraeus.com/media/media/hne/faq_1/Basic_and_limit_value_EN.pdf
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:14:55 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88495 on: April 18, 2021, 04:56:31 am »

mnem

anyway, the one they offered has its traces slightly inclined, not perfectly horizontal. I suppose there is a knob from behind to adjust this? kindly check it if you have the scope or know about it.

Nope... never had one. Yes, as med says, there probably is a trace rotation control located somewhere inconspicuous, as these things are pretty sensitive to any large chunk of ferrous metal that may be nearby, or even localized weirdness in the earth's magnetic flux. If you get it home, it may not even have this problem when you set it up on your bench, or it could be worse.  ;)

It is a very basic scope; I guess it's all a matter of how much you need something to tinker with vs how hard it is to find something where you're at, and whether you ever expect to do anything other than Audio Frequency work. I know that I got pretty desperate when I was trying to find something up here in the wilds of Canada; I bought a 54645A from a seller I had done business with before I left the US, and I sucked it up & paid the freight.

I'd do the exact same thing again, in all honesty. :-//

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a CRT mallet*

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #88496 on: April 18, 2021, 07:03:15 am »

Note: Come to think of it, the 437B meter only sells for $37 ... if I had another one to compare to ...  :P

The trouble is that the thermistor mounts are insanely expensive and sensitive.  I have a 432A -- less thermistor mount -- that I'm sort of thinking that I'll try to build something for. Just for the fun of it.

A secondary source for the 6-pin connector would be a great start. Relatively inexpensive thermistors are available. And no, I do not expect this to be precise or sensitive like the original, just proof of concept.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #88497 on: April 18, 2021, 07:44:54 am »
What you need is an OLD power meter, a 432Aplus 478A sensor, preferrably with option H76. While the sensor is old it allows DC balance and low frequency subsitution. he meter does not have to be in cal just the sensor and a DMM.
This is the standrd for calibrating the calibrators and most sensors.

Thanks Robert. Yes indeed that is what is shown in the power calibration procedure. Now I have an excuse to go back to Ebay.  :-DD

*Raises hand*

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, klab

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #88498 on: April 18, 2021, 07:49:01 am »

mnem

anyway, the one they offered has its traces slightly inclined, not perfectly horizontal. I suppose there is a knob from behind to adjust this? kindly check it if you have the scope or know about it.

Nope... never had one. Yes, as med says, there probably is a trace rotation control located somewhere inconspicuous, as these things are pretty sensitive to any large chunk of ferrous metal that may be nearby, or even localized weirdness in the earth's magnetic flux. If you get it home, it may not even have this problem when you set it up on your bench, or it could be worse.  ;)

It is a very basic scope; I guess it's all a matter of how much you need something to tinker with vs how hard it is to find something where you're at, and whether you ever expect to do anything other than Audio Frequency work. I know that I got pretty desperate when I was trying to find something up here in the wilds of Canada; I bought a 54645A from a seller I had done business with before I left the US, and I sucked it up & paid the freight.

I'd do the exact same thing again, in all honesty. :-//

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a CRT mallet*

well, I am trying to lower the price from 40JDs to 30JDs... maybe it will go good. Gonna make them try the adjustment on video to show me.

anyway, I want it as a basic scope to measure power supply ripple and noise since I am trying to design a low noise psu which supposed to go less than 1mv total (using TPS62913)... this one is lowest of 5mV\Div so I could see if the signal is at 20% of the division that means 1mv or so. the rest is just basic stuff.

i am interested in video signals for retro gaming consoles which is about <5MHz or so. but this will be for a new digital scope in the future.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88499 on: April 18, 2021, 08:33:26 am »
Five overpriced BWD Mini Labs in the UK - platinum filled Unicorn Poo  :palm: eBay auction: #265105982971

That seller seems to specialize in extremely overpriced stuff, they still have their untested hp 5326B at £360 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254920469496  :palm: I bought both my 5326B & 5327B for less than that including international shipping.

David

They appear to be a educational disposal specialist. They will take low offers on some kit or bring the price down over time.
On on other items they will not budge at all. I've seen this difference on two virtually identical highly specialist bits of biotech kit that I happen to know about.  From this I deduce that at some of their items are on consiginment with owner set minimum. The biotech items I was watching originally cost around $200,000  one is still on sale at ~$3000 and the other sold several months ago for $200.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf