Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14558391 times)

barkevko, Jambalaya, K0ELB, cncjerry and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88525 on: April 18, 2021, 01:30:37 pm »
Well as the whole dBm scale is based on 1mW (0dBm) and these meters operate in the milliwatt range its an obvious choice. For the microwatt sensors HP suppled a 30dB attenuator with the sensor.

What about the choice of 50 MHz?

Practcally it's a compromise of being low enough to calibrate without worring about high frequency mismatch and connection loss issues but high enough to not be affected by the DC blocking capacitor in some sensors.
Might also have been specified in some NIST or military standard.

If I remember correctly the actual frequency is "somewhat near 50MHz" on those things. Usually an LC oscillator with amplitude feedback of some sort. Doesn't get much better than that. Regarding the DC blocking capacitor, that. Probably covers the largest amount of power sensors out there.

It drifts quite a bit as I've been watching it on my spec-an. The spec states "50 MHz +/- 500kHz.' I played with the adjustment anyway (why of course I did   :P). It isn't possible to set it exactly on 50 MHz because it's too imprecise an adjustment. But, the power in this case is the important part.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88526 on: April 18, 2021, 01:31:15 pm »
This is not a bad deal if you need a quality RTD as a reference eBay auction: #333827379223 If you are looking to pair it with non Fluke just check out the Ro first or you will need to apply a fudge to the results when you get to uber accuracy.

The 1987 catalog states the Y2037 is a 100Ω RTD probe, it should work with anything that requires RTD 100Ω or PT100 sensors. Same wiring colours as the new probe I bought from Farnell for my second hp 2802A thermometer.

David

The issue is the R0 the Fluke/Burns gear uses a different purity of Platinum to what HP for example base theirs on. Just a maths fudge to be aware of when you get accurate.

example and the maths https://www.heraeus.com/media/media/hne/faq_1/Basic_and_limit_value_EN.pdf

Here is information given for the hp probes for the 2802A thermometer and the table of readings for checking the meter against a precision resistance box.

No idea how the Fluke probe compares as we would need a datasheet.
Also I doubt the probe with the first hp 2802A I acquired is original, this is the new probe I bought for the second one (didn't want a unknown condition used probe), not much information in the datasheet to compare either.
https://uk.farnell.com/labfacility/xf-1129-far/thermometer-pt100-class-b-250/dp/2816474?ost=2816474

David

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #88527 on: April 18, 2021, 01:35:02 pm »
Well, hard to tell from that pix but if it is I do not see any trace rotation wires going to a coil near the face plate. It would then be almost impossible to correct trace tilt because obviously you can't rotate a rectangular CRT.

If it is on plastic, you might be able to rotate the graticule :)

If not, why is there a slope anyway? Diagnostic tests could include seeing if it varies with CRT orientation w.r.t. the earth's magnetic field, or with sweep speed.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #88528 on: April 18, 2021, 01:42:23 pm »
As I mentioned a couple pages back, the problem might not even be a problem. He could get the thing home and find the rotation gone, or it could be even worse. ;)

I had to adjust my 2465 when I moved it from the right side of my bench where I prefer it to the left in the house in Houston; never did figure what caused the variance in rotation. 

mnem
:-//
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:55:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88529 on: April 18, 2021, 01:49:15 pm »
This is not a bad deal if you need a quality RTD as a reference eBay auction: #333827379223 If you are looking to pair it with non Fluke just check out the Ro first or you will need to apply a fudge to the results when you get to uber accuracy.

The 1987 catalog states the Y2037 is a 100Ω RTD probe, it should work with anything that requires RTD 100Ω or PT100 sensors. Same wiring colours as the new probe I bought from Farnell for my second hp 2802A thermometer.

David

The issue is the R0 the Fluke/Burns gear uses a different purity of Platinum to what HP for example base theirs on. Just a maths fudge to be aware of when you get accurate.

example and the maths https://www.heraeus.com/media/media/hne/faq_1/Basic_and_limit_value_EN.pdf

Here is information given for the hp probes for the 2802A thermometer and the table of readings for checking the meter against a precision resistance box.

Also I doubt the probe with the first hp 2802A I acquired is original, this is the new probe I bought for the second one (didn't want a unknown condition used probe), not much information in the datasheet to compare either.
https://uk.farnell.com/labfacility/xf-1129-far/thermometer-pt100-class-b-250/dp/2816474?ost=2816474

David

In term of TCR, the norm is more 0.3851 ohm / 1 Deg C these days and not 0.391.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #88530 on: April 18, 2021, 01:49:32 pm »

David

David

The Data I have on the Burns is below just for reference. The Modern Agilent/Keysight gear for example uses  .00385 ohms/ohms/°C (DIN/IEC 751) so just needs to be accounted for.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88531 on: April 18, 2021, 01:51:36 pm »
Recently on ebay:

Code: [Select]
10x 0.1R      0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 1R        0.1%   Burster Type 1168
10x 10R       0.05%  Burster Type 1166
10x 100R      0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 1000R     0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 10000R    0.02%  Burster Type 1164
10x 100000R   0.02%  Burster Type 1164

Today arrival:

Have not decided yet, if I'll built a resistor decade box or if I'll make some resistor calibration sets.
What do you think?

Cal boxes. Also pick the best MATCHED three and arrange the binding posts so you can use as a Hamon divider.

Seems a shame if they cut up a complete decade box and sold those individually, certainly looks that way.   :-//

David

I was told by the seller, that they were part of a Pt100 calibrator simulator.
Not sure, why he removed them but I think, he wanted all the high precision resistors in them.
He is selling some more of these type of resistors but with very special values.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133726996530
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402792461991
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402792471654
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133727010002
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402792347941
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133726915387

Should have guessed the seller was the German cousin of the Freddy Krueger outfit we have here  :-DD; https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mjtronix/m.html

Thankfully hp gave the readings for using a standard precision decade box with my 2802A.

David

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88532 on: April 18, 2021, 01:52:38 pm »

David

David

The Data I have on the Burns is below just for reference. The Modern Agilent/Keysight gear for example uses  .00385 ohms/ohms/°C (DIN/IEC 751) so just needs to be accounted for.

Yes, they are actually inserting impurity into the platinum to reach .00385. Better to go with the standard to avoid issues.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88533 on: April 18, 2021, 01:53:23 pm »
I'm like the kid that keeps asking "why" every time I get an answer.  :-DD

Never stop. ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, SilverSolder

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88534 on: April 18, 2021, 01:53:51 pm »
My Brain is hurting. Chinese made version of a fully open sourced project and the Muppets subbed in 100k 7 bit Digital Pots instead of the specced 50k 8 bit ones |O Wonder why my Smoothieboard isn't talking to the steppers :palm:

Midnight here so a double Scotch and Chocolate for the brain.....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88535 on: April 18, 2021, 02:00:29 pm »

David

David

That appears to be the standard used for the modern probe I bought, oh well I think your right it does need accounting for with my old thermometer. No interest in any modern stuff from Agilent/Keysight here.

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88536 on: April 18, 2021, 02:07:25 pm »
...Should have guessed the seller was the German cousin of the Freddy Krueger outfit we have here  :-DD; https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mjtronix/m.html     David

In all honesty, I wish we had vendors near me who offered those kinds of "grab bags" of run-end components... back in the day we had a local Surplus Outlet that did 1 lb, 5 lb and 10 lb "junk boxes"; I got a USAF-labeled gyroscope in one and 50 pieces of xenon strobe PCB in another... and more random resistors, switches, pots caps & semis than I could be arsed to count in every box... :o

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88537 on: April 18, 2021, 02:11:44 pm »
My Brain is hurting. Chinese made version of a fully open sourced project and the Muppets subbed in 100k 7 bit Digital Pots instead of the specced 50k 8 bit ones |O Wonder why my Smoothieboard isn't talking to the steppers :palm:

mnem
*distraction-ily*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88538 on: April 18, 2021, 02:13:03 pm »
Ahh a Bracknell native.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88539 on: April 18, 2021, 02:19:09 pm »

mnem
*distraction-ily*

Sub $3 worth for the two Digital Quad pots but I think a few kicks in the balls might be preferable to reworking the 20 pin TSOP packages by hand  :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88540 on: April 18, 2021, 02:25:12 pm »

dunno if you like this scope or not xD

anyway, the one they offered has its traces slightly inclined, not perfectly horizontal. I suppose there is a knob from behind to adjust this? kindly check it if you have the scope or know about it,.

There should be a "trace rotation" control either on the rear panel or inside the case to make the traces horizontal.

I don't think there is a control on this 'Scope.  It's a simple matter of loosing the clamp on the back of the tube and rotating the whole tube. The controls are normally only used with rectangular tube.
You can see the shiny clamp on the tube in photos here
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/metrix_oscilloscope_ox_710c.html

Manuals are online

You're right. From those pictures it appears the be a round CRT and the front bezel is a separate plastic piece. Therefore no trace rotation and as you stated loosen rear CRT clamp and rotate the entire CRT. It also appears to be a plastic case rather than metal which means every time you move the scope any stray magnetic field and even the Earth's magnetic field will cause the trace to tilt.

That is just like the cheap plastic case Heathkit scopes from the 1970's. I speak from experience.  ::)

Nope. Look again; the CRT is square, that's just a bit of em/electrostatic shielding around the neck that is conical.

mnem

Interesting, It may vary with production, the 710D here:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/metrix_oscilloscope_ox_710d.html
Has a round CRT. 
The picture Vegata posted in Reply #88500 has no model marking on the front and looks more like the radiomuseum's photo o a 710D than ther one of a 710C.
It also looks like a round CRT from the picture posted (corners cut off same as radiomuseum 710D)

I guess the only way we'll know for sure is Vegeta is going to have to buy it and then do a tear down.

Geez....this thread is moving at the speed of light today.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88541 on: April 18, 2021, 02:27:17 pm »

mnem
*distraction-ily*

WTF is that supposed to be? A Hairy tooth?  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88542 on: April 18, 2021, 02:28:48 pm »
...Should have guessed the seller was the German cousin of the Freddy Krueger outfit we have here  :-DD; https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mjtronix/m.html     David

In all honesty, I wish we had vendors near me who offered those kinds of "grab bags" of run-end components... back in the day we had a local Surplus Outlet that did 1 lb, 5 lb and 10 lb "junk boxes"; I got a USAF-labeled gyroscope in one and 50 pieces of xenon strobe PCB in another... and more random resistors, switches, pots caps & semis than I could be arsed to count in every box... :o

mnem

They aren't run-end parts, it's almost all pulls from old test equipment & military gear, I wonder how they manage to desolder all those parts in a quick enough way to make it worthwhile doing.

David

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88543 on: April 18, 2021, 02:33:48 pm »
Recently on ebay:

Today arrival:

Have not decided yet, if I'll built a resistor decade box or if I'll make some resistor calibration sets.
What do you think?

Cal boxes. Also pick the best MATCHED three and arrange the binding posts so you can use as a Hamon divider.

Seems a shame if they cut up a complete decade box and sold those individually, certainly looks that way.   :-//

David

Not sure, why he removed them but I think, he wanted all the high precision resistors in them.
He is selling some more of these type of resistors but with very special values.

Should have guessed the seller was the German cousin of the Freddy Krueger outfit we have here  :-DD; https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mjtronix/m.html

Thankfully hp gave the readings for using a standard precision decade box with my 2802A.

David

I feel ashamed, I have to admit I also bought from that kind of seller.  :palm:

But look all those beautiful hardlines !! Got all those for 20$!!

To my defense, I needed some to repair an instrument and relocate the input port of another one.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88544 on: April 18, 2021, 02:35:37 pm »
A couple of pictures to add to the Racal 9343M teardown as I forget to look at the display board.

Even this has a couple of a extra spaces for LED's, must be another variant that uses those.

The back of the board gives no doubt that the OEM for these LCR data-bridges is AIM.

Link to the full teardown;
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3551153/#msg3551153

David
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:41:41 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, bd139, DC1MC, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #88545 on: April 18, 2021, 02:36:13 pm »
Recently on ebay:

Today arrival:

What do you think?

David

David

To my defense, I needed some to repair an instrument and relocate the input port of another one.

R&S?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88546 on: April 18, 2021, 02:40:44 pm »
Recently on ebay:

Today arrival:

What do you think?

David

David

R&S?

I have no idea where they are coming from. Might be a R&S instrument. I bought them from a seller that disassemble things. I guess they disassemble everything that is not working.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:45:48 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88547 on: April 18, 2021, 02:54:51 pm »

mnem

They aren't run-end parts, it's almost all pulls from old test equipment & military gear, I wonder how they manage to desolder all those parts in a quick enough way to make it worthwhile doing.

David
Hot air gun and bang the board on the bench is a common technique  |O
Personally I don't like the seller. He seems to be breaking kit for precious metals and selling what he does not want. Prices are high and parts are often misrepresented. Typical of ebay his over-priced stuff often sells. He has listed HP 8922x cellphone test set modules as having  been removed from a 8920A. The modules are similar, but most are not identical and won't work properly in a 8920x
He may be De-milling some kit that he can't contractually sell complete but he has also bought TE items from RAMCO auctions and broken then. Unfortunatly a lot of kit sells for less than you can get for its component parts.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:57:31 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88548 on: April 18, 2021, 03:00:49 pm »
Wow.... that's some serious bit of kit  !  Love these old HP counters of that generation, indeed they look so cool with all those nixies ! And that rugged industrially looking face, love it. They are definitely on my wish list, but sadly nowhere to be found in France. Would need to import one from the US.. big bucks involved. So just a dream for now.

Best I could get some time ago, was my super rare Metrix DX446A.  8 nixes like yours, 160MHz which is quite good for the time I find.. but sadly of course its industrial design is nowhere near as cool / military looking as these old HP...
Still, a nice rare piece so I enjoy it very much. Sadly the previous owner lost one of the knobs and replaced it with this ugly and out of place red knob  from a FERISOL branded counter I think. So ugly that it kinda ruins my lovely experience with this counter. So I have since removed that knob altogether. I prefer a bare shaft (it's not stiff, I can still operate that shaft without a knob) than seeing that disgusting knob.  Sadly I will never find an original knob for it, forget about it  :(

Anyway, looks like this outage was a good thing. Somehow since that happened, TEA is now back about cool TEA content, what I came for... may it continue !  ;D

It's possible those collet knobs might be from the Elma Classic collet knob range;
https://www.elma.com/-/media/products/products-files/knob_classic-collet_datasheet_e.pdf

David

Edit: reuploaded image as the original from the time before the server outage shows all fuzzy when I try to link it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:51:57 pm by factory »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88549 on: April 18, 2021, 03:11:02 pm »

mnem

David

They have lots of different lots. What I was looking at was boxes of mostly run-ends. Unless they put them back on/in the reel tapes after they desoldered them from recycled boards. ;) If so, I wanna support that kind of dedication and creativity.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:37:18 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: factory

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf