Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550609 times)

Vince, TSCOLAN, McBryce, Jambalaya and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88700 on: April 20, 2021, 09:08:44 am »
I've been carrying a Seiko divers watch a lot, not because I'm a diver (I'm very much not!), but because it survived my treatment of it, for pretty long. It is due for movement replacement, so am instead wearing a Citizen NightHawk that my father gave me. I'm considering a Russian diver's watch as alternative, and specifically so the Radio Room edition. A simple NATO strap, black or 2-tone grey/black, is all I'd like for it.

I like automatic movements because they're clever, and there are no batteries to swap. Also, if you get a good one, it'll keep time good enough for anything practical.

Rolex, and more so Breitling and Tag Heuer, are just expensive show-off pieces. Good, but not better than the competition.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88701 on: April 20, 2021, 09:11:55 am »
Cartier watches shouldn’t even exist. They don’t do anything better than a £5 Casio.

Rolex too.

My thoughts exactly. Watches are a money swallowing rabbit hole hobby of mine, but I only appreciate (would pay top prices for) manual / automatic watches. Mainly Breitling. Making watches out of gold-plated steel, slapping a 5$ battery powered guts into it an then asking stupid for prices really doesn't impress me.

@Mansaxel: Breitlings up to the beginning of the 90's (the only ones I'd buy) have fine Swiss made automatic movements, but those days are sadly behind us.

McBryce.   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:14:25 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #88702 on: April 20, 2021, 09:13:16 am »

For those who care: Ingenuity flew its first successful test flight this morning; so far a couple stills is all I've been able to find. Hopefully, the post-flight briefing may have some actual video in a couple hours.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Watch the whole flight - beginning at 13 minutes in.

It doesn't last long and isn't fancy - but it is still mesmerising.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88703 on: April 20, 2021, 09:18:09 am »
Cartier watches shouldn’t even exist. They don’t do anything better than a £5 Casio.

Rolex too.

Except for one discipline: WAF

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88704 on: April 20, 2021, 09:20:02 am »

Rolex too.

My thoughts exactly. Watches are a money swallowing rabbit hole hobby of mine, but I only appreciate (would pay top prices for) manual / automatic watches. Mainly Breitling. Making watches out of gold-plated steel, slapping a 5$ battery powered guts into it an then asking stupid for prices really doesn't impress me.

@Mansaxel: Breitlings up to the beginning of the 90's (the only ones I'd buy) have fine Swiss made automatic movements, but those days are sadly behind us.

McBryce.   

I got given an Apple Watch SE. That’s not too bad and actually does useful stuff like fitness tracking and does gentle wake ups in the morning. Also has my iTunes library on it so I can leave the phone at home when I go running.

I wouldn’t have bought one though.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #88705 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:57 am »

Rolex too.

McBryce.   

If it is quartz -- it is of no value beyond that Casio  :-DD . Yes, the Citizen I carry is a quartz piece, but it is useful and carries some sentimental value to me.

I do not need another rabbit hole. Those I already swap between are deep enough.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88706 on: April 20, 2021, 09:31:22 am »
I'm only having two wristwatches.
A Omega Speedmaster Automatic (was a birthday present around 1992)

A Traser H3 Classic Chrono Blue, this one I'm wearing daily.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88707 on: April 20, 2021, 09:35:46 am »

Rolex too.

Talking about rabbitholes..  :palm:  WAS maybe?

McBryce.   

If it is quartz -- it is of no value beyond that Casio  :-DD . Yes, the Citizen I carry is a quartz piece, but it is useful and carries some sentimental value to me.

I do not need another rabbit hole. Those I already swap between are deep enough.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88708 on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:32 am »
The watch I have on today is a Bulova Accutron Spaceview. It has a battery, but I don't think I have to explain why this one has a special place in my collection. Anything quartz should cost less than €100 and been seen as a disposable item. All my more expensive watches are automatic.

McBryce.

Picture of an Accutron Spaceview - Just because.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Cubdriver, factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88709 on: April 20, 2021, 09:43:10 am »

Rolex too.

McBryce.   

I got given an Apple Watch SE. That’s not too bad and actually does useful stuff like fitness tracking and does gentle wake ups in the morning. Also has my iTunes library on it so I can leave the phone at home when I go running.

I wouldn’t have bought one though.
Nah, keep Apple, Breitlings, Cartier, Rolex and Omega's, I'm very happy with my Citizen's and Accurist's, and although I currently don't have any, I have in the past had Casio's too. I find that both Citizen and Accurist make watches that are super reliable, accurate, posh and tough enough for anyone.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #88710 on: April 20, 2021, 09:52:29 am »
Guess the quality is gettin'better, little by little.. look who is checking me out.
You better get busy then filming some good content to show off their creations !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88711 on: April 20, 2021, 10:04:28 am »
On the Gumtree seller saga, today I received the following message in reply to my last message saying that I'm not going to do a bank transfer as I have no protection and have been stung that way before by other sellers on Gumtree.

Received this morning " fully understand. it looks as if we can go no further i am not prepared to use PayPal and do not have any account or relationship with them. i wish you well stay safe"

The fact the seller is now saying that they have no PayPal account, now makes it more likely it is a scam, and yet we are only talking about a £5 item plus £3 shipping and I offered £10 paid via PayPal "goods and services" so the extra £2 would cover the PayPal charges and protect me.

Gumtree actually advise their sellers and buyers alike to use PayPal for transactions for the protection for both parties, also of course to use couriers rather than face to face selling, especially given current conditions.

Oh well, I didn't need the acquisition of yet another meter but hey, this is TEA and the item would have been another great bargain.

Edit:
This has been an ongoing discussion between me and the seller now for 4 days and throughout I have consistently requested their PayPal address for so payment may be made and nothing was forth coming which I thought was odd, so I'm even more convinced it was a scam.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:08:44 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #88712 on: April 20, 2021, 10:20:48 am »
re watches - Xemex and Rado, but after the advent of the smartphone they are cupboarded.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88713 on: April 20, 2021, 10:30:50 am »
Is big brother watching us or what, right after Casio watches was mentioned on here, I had an email from Amazon offering me good deals on Casio Edifice watches  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88714 on: April 20, 2021, 10:39:56 am »
Is big brother watching us or what, right after Casio watches was mentioned on here, I had an email from Amazon offering me good deals on Casio Edifice watches  :-DD

* BU508A is looking innocent...

:)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #88715 on: April 20, 2021, 11:16:46 am »

Rolex too.

Is it worth comparing the women who are attracted with the value of any of those watches?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88716 on: April 20, 2021, 11:19:12 am »
On the Gumtree seller saga, today I received the following message in reply to my last message saying that I'm not going to do a bank transfer as I have no protection and have been stung that way before by other sellers on Gumtree.

Received this morning " fully understand. it looks as if we can go no further i am not prepared to use PayPal and do not have any account or relationship with them. i wish you well stay safe"

The fact the seller is now saying that they have no PayPal account, now makes it more likely it is a scam, and yet we are only talking about a £5 item plus £3 shipping and I offered £10 paid via PayPal "goods and services" so the extra £2 would cover the PayPal charges and protect me.

Gumtree actually advise their sellers and buyers alike to use PayPal for transactions for the protection for both parties, also of course to use couriers rather than face to face selling, especially given current conditions.

Oh well, I didn't need the acquisition of yet another meter but hey, this is TEA and the item would have been another great bargain.

Edit:
This has been an ongoing discussion between me and the seller now for 4 days and throughout I have consistently requested their PayPal address for so payment may be made and nothing was forth coming which I thought was odd, so I'm even more convinced it was a scam.

Highly likely either scammer or idiot. Not worth the risk.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88717 on: April 20, 2021, 11:27:02 am »

Rolex too.

Is it worth comparing the women who are attracted with the value of any of those watches?

I don't know much about women, so I won't make a statement on this.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88718 on: April 20, 2021, 11:47:43 am »

Rolex too.

I don't know much about women, so I won't make a statement on this.

I know too much about women and there are those that don't care, those who are only attracted to the bling, and those who are just plain batshit crazy.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #88719 on: April 20, 2021, 11:50:26 am »
I know too much about women and there are those that don't care, those who are only attracted to the bling, and those who are just plain batshit crazy.  :o

I told the last woman I was dating if it didn't work out I'd just get another cat.

Guess what I got?  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88720 on: April 20, 2021, 11:51:20 am »

I told the last woman I was dating if it didn't work out I'd just get another cat.

Guess what I got?  :-DD

Meow.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88721 on: April 20, 2021, 11:54:38 am »
Some wise guy statet something like: "Women are like elephants. Interesting and lovable. But who would want one at home?"

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88722 on: April 20, 2021, 11:55:51 am »
A few photos of the FRK Rubidium repair. I forgot to post them last night. There are a couple of very early 4000 seres CMOS logic on there in white ceramic packages. The CMOS is used for a lock-in amp circuit. Clearly a hand laid PCB. Looks like it was done with a sharpie rather than tape. I don't think it would pass a rule check today :-DD
The thin red and blue wires re the photocell (didoe) connections
This thing is old. It has a production sticker dated 4.16.80 so had it's 41st birthday last week. Powered up and locked fine ths morning. I just need to replce the foam and re-assemble.
I might try and work out the external frequency trim connection while I'm at it.

Then I need to decide what bit of HP kit I'm going to murder so it can donate a kidney case  >:D
Only joking  :-DD I've got a nice Schroff Compac Pro case just for the job. its the same style as Efratom used for the MRT but a little narrower so a square panel.
https://testequipment.center/Products/Efratom-MRT-LN

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, bd139, factory, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88723 on: April 20, 2021, 11:58:40 am »
We've discussed the other day some Audio Precision stuff.

Now, look at this (NAWTS):

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/audio-precision-system-one-inkl-rechner/1714248142-172-2472

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88724 on: April 20, 2021, 12:02:07 pm »
Just got an email from Hermes saying they are giving a full refund for a radiation dosimeter they lost (UK postage). No argument or hassle just al ong wait. First item of mine they have lost.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf