Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14783785 times)

PA0PBZ, Ice-Tea, dl6lr, K0ELB, sorenkir, TERRA Operative, mianos, factory and 119 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88750 on: April 20, 2021, 05:00:37 pm »
I just got back from the urologist and finally got a definitive diagnosis. I need to have the old prostate reamed out. The bladder of OK...no cancer or other nasty stuff. But there's a problem. They can't do the procedure until May 17th. Which means from now until then I'm stuck with this freaking catheter. Oh well. Not much I can do about it.

The ream out procedure involves an overnight stay at the hospital. Tomorrow I see the surgeon about taking care of the hernia. But that won't happen until after the prostate is done. Seems I'm gonna be going thru this crap until at least June.  :palm:

And where is UPS with my parts? Out for delivery but they are late.  :rant:

Sounds like not fun, but at least there now seems to be a defined path forward.  Hang in there, Mike.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #88751 on: April 20, 2021, 05:00:56 pm »
Good there's a light at the end of the tunnel, med. And good that there's no lurkers, both of ya.  :-+

mnem
*toddles off to work on the Fatbike o' Doom*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88752 on: April 20, 2021, 05:16:10 pm »
I just got back from the urologist and finally got a definitive diagnosis. I need to have the old prostate reamed out. The bladder of OK...no cancer or other nasty stuff. But there's a problem. They can't do the procedure until May 17th. Which means from now until then I'm stuck with this freaking catheter. Oh well. Not much I can do about it.

The ream out procedure involves an overnight stay at the hospital. Tomorrow I see the surgeon about taking care of the hernia. But that won't happen until after the prostate is done. Seems I'm gonna be going thru this crap until at least June.  :palm:

And where is UPS with my parts? Out for delivery but they are late.  :rant:

Just an overnight stay at the hospital is not that bad. You're going to be all patched up in no time :-+

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz, med6753

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #88753 on: April 20, 2021, 05:18:41 pm »
Cartier watches shouldn’t even exist. They don’t do anything better than a £5 Casio.

Rolex too.

Attract golddiggers?

That’s a very good point.

My sister was actually married to a Rolex wearing meat sack. I think it also signifies that you have your priorities wrong in life.

Choose your investments wisely as they say.

These days maybe, I guess. The only Rolex I can remember seeing was on the wrist of a diver who worked on the north sea oil rigs in the 70s and 80s. He drove a Renault 4, so I doubt the Rolex Oyster was about bling.

Cartier watches shouldn’t even exist. They don’t do anything better than a £5 Casio.

Rolex too.

Except for one discipline: WAF

:-DD

Is it worth comparing the women who are attracted with the value of any of those watches?

I don't know much about women, so I won't make a statement on this.

:)

I know too much about women and there are those that don't care, those who are only attracted to the bling, and those who are just plain batshit crazy.  :o

Grand-dad used to say: "Any man who tells you he understands women or horses is a fool, a liar, or both."

mnem
*still convinced I used up a lifetime's worth of good luck finding the one I married*

My grandad used to say, "pick up the bloody pieces after you take something apart, I just stood on a damn clock gear!"
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88754 on: April 20, 2021, 05:23:31 pm »
I know too much about women and there are those that don't care, those who are only attracted to the bling, and those who are just plain batshit crazy.  :o

I told the last woman I was dating if it didn't work out I'd just get another cat.

Guess what I got?  :-DD

not pussy  :-DD

Pussy Galore:

John Steed to Mrs Emma Peel: "Oh look, a postcard from Mrs. Gale! What's she doing in Fort Knox!?!"
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88755 on: April 20, 2021, 06:02:29 pm »
...Grand-dad used to say: "Any man who tells you he understands women or horses is a fool, a liar, or both."

mnem
*still convinced I used up a lifetime's worth of good luck finding the one I married*
My grandad used to say, "pick up the bloody pieces after you take something apart, I just stood on a damn clock gear!"
Mine too! :-DD

mnem
When I was 10... every alarm clock feared me. >:D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:04:04 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88756 on: April 20, 2021, 06:16:22 pm »
UPS finally delivered, about 2 hours later than typical. Now I can finally do the PSU re-cap of the Type 422. But not this afternoon. My bladder and neither regions are feeling the after affects of be brutalized with a camera this morning. In other words I'm sore.   :palm:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88757 on: April 20, 2021, 06:17:20 pm »
Yeah bad sort of test gear that goes inside you  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88758 on: April 20, 2021, 06:24:44 pm »
Speaking of desoldering, I have bench-news regarding soldering.   ^-^

A while ago I acquired a JBC HD-2B soldering station with T470A handle, some tips and original JBC stand for a half-decent price (270€) -given the corona-driven somewhat higher price level.

The station was delivered last week and today I had the time to modify it to accept C470 cartridges (JBC-tips, 48V) as well as C245 cartridges (24V). Nice thing is that the T470 handle accepts both types of cartridges.
After a little bodging and adding a 2pole DPDT switch I now have a manually switchable HD-2B soldering station I can use all types of C470 and C245 cartridges for soldering jobs demanding high and higher power/heat*.  :-+

New topic: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/modification-of-the-jbc-hd-2b-soldering-station-to-work-with-24v-and-48v-tips/

HD-2B heating a C245 cartridge:
[image snipped]
HD-2B heating a C470 cartridge:
[image snipped]
I put the switch on the back right above the power inlet:
[image snipped]
The modification I made:
[image snipped]

edit: There's a third connection involved with the 12V supply, that i didn't show: It might be a NTC sharing one connection with the 12V supply. Didn't modify.

edit²: *-compared to my T12 KSGER OLED-soldering stations with self-assembled alternative power supply.
The T12s have become my daily driver and have pushed out my Wellers completely.

I'm using a Weller WS81 and have been thinking about a TS12 or JBC CD-2BQF.

Is it just a reflex of an TAE addict, or are there substancial differences in performance?

Let's say, a Weller Magnastat kind of very old shool soldering system is 20 points on a scale and the WS81 is 100.  What would a TS12 score, what a JBC?

In my case it's clear that there's a strong reflex of a TE Addict involved.  ;)

I don't have a Weller WS 81, I used WECP-20 with LR21 handpiece before.
Both have a classic approach of solder tips and heater being separate and thus not thermally connected ideally.
This limits thermal efficiency being inferior to Hakko T12 (or clone T12) tips or JBC tips (eg. C210, C245, C470..) that incorporate the heater into the tip ("cartridge") near to the soldering tip itself.

If you replace a Weller WS 81 with a JBC CD-2BQF I'd expect the JBC superior in thermal performance, because of
1. the sheer electrical power ratings:
Weller WS 81: 80W iron/95W station
JBC CD-2BQF: ??W iron/120W station

2. the better thermal performance of the JBC tip as I mentioned before.

I wouldn't expect the T12 soldering stations being clearly superior to the WS 81 - the T12 clones deliver 70W max. into the tip. One could assume that the integrated heater compensates some thermal performance in comparison to the 80W with lower thermal efficiency of the WS 81.

What I can clearly state is the better thermal performance of my T12 clones over the Weller WECP-20 with 50W max soldering iron power.

I like the T12 and my JBC HD-2B for enabling me soldering at lower temperatures in general. That's the benefit I like most.
To sum it up: With the better thermal performance I am able solder lead-free at the same or even slightly lower temperatures than I was used to using leaded solder with the WECP-20/LR21.

The WS 81 is a nice station. Personally I wouldn't have replaced it with a T12 station if I have had one.   :)

Just my 2 cents.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:31:58 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88759 on: April 20, 2021, 06:27:02 pm »

It's sort of like jamming a 13 foot high truck through 12 foot foot high overpass.  :phew: :scared: :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88760 on: April 20, 2021, 06:28:00 pm »

It's sort of like jamming a 13 foot high truck through 12 foot foot high overpass.  :phew: :scared: :-DD

This quote from Saskia fit perfectly here

Lubrication is everything  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:31:03 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88761 on: April 20, 2021, 06:32:48 pm »

This quote from Saskia fit perfectly here

Lubrication is everything  :-DD

Oh there was plenty of lubrication and a numbing agent but all that stuff as worn off and the body parts are saying  :wtf:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88762 on: April 20, 2021, 06:38:26 pm »
At least you’ve got the 80 year old stripper picture to quell any thoughts in that department  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88763 on: April 20, 2021, 06:44:40 pm »
Hmmm... I couldn't tell if he was describing a medical procedure or a evening at home with a 12-pack and "Debbie does..." movie rentals...  :-DD

mnem
"Oh, muh gawd.... there's blue splatter everywhere!!!"   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:51:40 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88764 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:16 pm »
At least you’ve got the 80 year old stripper picture to quell any thoughts in that department  :-DD

If you want to kill any desire for adult fun and games trust me.....go through what I'm going through right now and that's the last thing on your mind. I don't need the 80 yr old stripper to remind me.  :-DD

But......I haven't seen my lady cop in almost 3 months. She was on special weekend duty and then my world went to shit. We talked today and she is coming up next weekend despite that there will be no monkey business. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss her.     

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88765 on: April 20, 2021, 06:49:57 pm »
Hmmm... I couldn't tell if he was describing a medical procedure or a evening at home with a 12-pack and "Debbie does..." movie rentals...  :-DD

mnem

Hmm... one can tell that the forum had been offline for
a while... People got bored it seems 👀

Back to scheduled T&M drooling maybe? 😎

Did anyone go buy that Cologne treasure chest in the meantime?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88766 on: April 20, 2021, 06:50:22 pm »

mnem

Where’s the eye bleach  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88767 on: April 20, 2021, 06:51:06 pm »

mnem

Where’s the eye bleach  :-DD

LMAO

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88768 on: April 20, 2021, 06:54:30 pm »

mnem

This thread has some weird diversions on a regular basis. It always returns to TE though :)

Variety is the spice of life as they say.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88769 on: April 20, 2021, 06:54:40 pm »

mnem
 >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88770 on: April 20, 2021, 06:59:10 pm »

mnem
Hmm... one can tell that the forum had been offline for a while... People got bored it seems 👀   Back to scheduled T&M drooling maybe? 😎

Hey, if I didn't say it, Cerebus would have. I just got there first. :-DD

There... feel better...?   >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:05:37 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88771 on: April 20, 2021, 07:00:35 pm »

mnem

Don't worry. Tomorrow I'll have the Type 422 PSU spread out on the bench with plenty of pictures.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #88772 on: April 20, 2021, 07:01:52 pm »

The other kind of problem with prostates can lead to test equipment where the sensations can be described as "the sh1t fights back".

I would guess that after having a rebore, you may need a catheter for a while until that internal wound heals.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88773 on: April 20, 2021, 07:05:38 pm »

I would guess that after having a rebore, you may need a catheter for a while until that internal wound heals.

Nope, according to what I was told the day after they release me the catheter comes out. I can't wait.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88774 on: April 20, 2021, 07:10:52 pm »

mnem
*certifiable eebil ol' reptile*
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:12:44 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf