Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552453 times)

TizianoHV, Vince, ProtonFox and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88800 on: April 20, 2021, 10:23:18 pm »
want a picture of my performing an urethrea gunk removal procedure ?
(not as a victim, of course ...)

I can counter your threats, no problem :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #88801 on: April 20, 2021, 10:41:14 pm »

mnem
*changes street corners* >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88802 on: April 20, 2021, 11:04:43 pm »
ok, I did pick up the THS720 - came with power supply, albeit not original, came with 2 150MHz Testec Probes, new battery, LCD fresh and crisp , even though it has one scratch that does not pose a real problem and checked out ok.

Also came with invoice which makes this tax deductable.

I realize it is not the over the top super duper gizmo and that there are better ones out there, but as a small general purpose portable gizmo for abroad this does not sound too bad an idea.

Still gotta take a couple of photos, but I was too tired today.
Congratulations!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88803 on: April 20, 2021, 11:31:45 pm »
   ON THE BENCH TODAY: 20 DOLLAH E-SCOOTER!   Picked this up at the Thrift last week; object is to turn this pile of junk into a working scooter...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF ANGRY PIXIES IN THE MORNING!

After doing a little prelim testing, I discovered that this speed controller is A) rated for a pretty hefty 35A and B) has motor braking, which remote locating the FET would disable.  That, combined with the fact that 1) I'm already considering modding this 300W powertrain onto a bicycle and 2) the necessary 12/4 power cord could be had for a trifling $7, I decided to build it the quick & cheap way, even if all I got out of it was some real-world load testing.

Yeah, it's totally Doc Brown lookin'. But it works, and the combination of two 35C 4S/6AH LiPos and that 300W motor produces some pretty spunky torque; enough to peel tire on the living room floor.  :o

So next will be some empirical testing; getting it all set up with a power analyzer so I can see how much current it draws and how many mAH for a typical trip around the block. If it makes it around the block carrying my fat ass around without letting the magic smoke out.  :-DD

Now all I need to do is wait for a few days nice weather and cleared-up local roads. :-+

mnem

"In my defense; I WAS left unsupervised."

So today, I finally got to ride this contraption, and I didn't kill myself.

It were a bit iffy there; the balance is all weird and it tries to accelerate out from under me, as it has 16.8V/14.8V nominal at however much current you can push through 2 meters of 12ga copper wire on tap (3 x 4S/6.6AH 35C Tiger Power commercial/AP LiPos in parallel) into a 12V/300W rated motor. It carted my 175kg around quite well, tho the HF drill-motor ESC did sing pretty loud if I goosed it.  :-DD 

Not sure exactly how much LRA it actually pulled, but it was high enough I saw 600W+ on the power analyzer a few times! :o

I have a few niggly bits I need to fix on it... but the boi seems to think it's going to be his.   ??? I dunno if I dare let him have the thing, as squirrely as it is... maybe if I put some of my smaller 3S/4Ah LiPos inside. Now kindof regretting taking the slow-boat-from-China route on those BMS PCBs... :P

mnem
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:41:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88804 on: April 21, 2021, 12:04:53 am »
I know too much about women and there are those that don't care, those who are only attracted to the bling, and those who are just plain batshit crazy.  :o

I told the last woman I was dating if it didn't work out I'd just get another cat.

Guess what I got?  :-DD

I would guess a backhander across the face!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #88805 on: April 21, 2021, 12:12:30 am »
I know too much about women and there are those that don't care, those who are only attracted to the bling, and those who are just plain batshit crazy.  :o

I told the last woman I was dating if it didn't work out I'd just get another cat.

Guess what I got?  :-DD

I would guess a backhander across the face!

LOL. No, I really said that though She laughed at it.

But I did get that cat.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88806 on: April 21, 2021, 12:24:14 am »
...Should have guessed the seller was the German cousin of the Freddy Krueger outfit we have here  :-DD; https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mjtronix/m.html     David

In all honesty, I wish we had vendors near me who offered those kinds of "grab bags" of run-end components... back in the day we had a local Surplus Outlet that did 1 lb, 5 lb and 10 lb "junk boxes"; I got a USAF-labeled gyroscope in one and 50 pieces of xenon strobe PCB in another... and more random resistors, switches, pots caps & semis than I could be arsed to count in every box... :o

mnem
 :popcorn:

There, I found some for you  ;D

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?_ssn=hstate&item=164713600212&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=grab+bag&_sop=10

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #88807 on: April 21, 2021, 12:43:18 am »
snippity....

It were a bit iffy there; the balance is all weird and it tries to accelerate out from under me, as it has 16.8V/14.8V nominal at however much current you can push through 2 meters of 12ga copper wire on tap (3 x 4S/6.6AH 35C Tiger Power commercial/AP LiPos in parallel) into a 12V/300W rated motor. It carted my 175kg around quite well, tho the HF drill-motor ESC did sing pretty loud if I goosed it.  :-DD 

Not sure exactly how much LRA it actually pulled, but it was high enough I saw 600W+ on the power analyzer a few times! :o

I have a few niggly bits I need to fix on it... but the boi seems to think it's going to be his.   ??? I dunno if I dare let him have the thing, as squirrely as it is... maybe if I put some of my smaller 3S/4Ah LiPos inside. Now kindof regretting taking the slow-boat-from-China route on those BMS PCBs... :P

mnem

As someone with more than a few hours riding powered scooters beware they are dangerous. The small front wheel will throw sideways in a heartbeat and in turn throw you on the ground and let the red stuff leak out. The near Vertical Stem and steering geometry can be prone to oscillating violently on some throwing the front wheel sideways ......

My Dad had one of the Whippet Trio jink in front of him while scooting he finished up in an Air Ambulance for a 300+km trip  :palm: The Whippet lost a dew claw and managed to limp home bloodied and not happy while the other two Whippy's sat outside in the Sun.

Enjoy it until then  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88808 on: April 21, 2021, 01:02:05 am »

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/26-x1-75-Wheel-size-36V-500W-Electric-Bike-Conversion-Kit-for-Rear-Wheel-Motor-Hub-Control/PRD4FR0J46H75OW

Well Hell...

It arrived, and it wasn't a box with a couple bricks inside. :o

When I got back from my scooter experiment and bike riding with the family, this was waiting on the porch. It is a hub motor eBike conversion kit; I've been shopping these since before the fatBike, but with the COVID breakdown in supply chain they've been effing insanely expensive. As in ~$500 with shipping, before Duty (from China) and HGST and of course carrier brokerage fees. ::)

This one was CAD$259 delivered. From a local vendor, so no duty or other BS. Also, 500W kit vs 250-350W for the ones at the bottom of the food chain; as opposed to the cheapest FatBike kit I could find which was almost $700.

In all honesty, I was easily 50/50 skeptical that anything would arrive at all, having played the "too good to be true" lottery more than a few times on fleaBay. I must admit, I am surprised. It appears to be all new kit, in original sealed cartons, and not the most basic kit either, but midrange with a battery bag and pedal assist sensor. Only thing it doesn't have is the primo LCD control panel upgrade.  :-+

As you might imagine, when I counted and found it had the same number of spokes as my fatbike's rear wheel, I decided to take a chance. Now comes some real fun... I haven't laced up a bicycle wheel since I was a teen, and that did not turn out very well at all, as I tried to do it without a lacing jig. |O

So now... I may be getting into a all-new rabbit-hole.  :o

But first, I need to get it all mocked-up and confirm it works, of course. I may be crazy, but I'm not stoopit.  ;) *knocks on wood*

mnem
If I was really smart, I'd save myself a buttload of pain & put it on the boi's bike instead... :palm:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:00:58 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88809 on: April 21, 2021, 01:03:11 am »
The near Vertical Stem and steering geometry can be prone to oscillating violently on some throwing the front wheel sideways ......

That's no different in principle to the motorcyclist's dreaded Tank Slapper, except in cutesy miniature. Cutesy that is until it pitches you off the thing and all that stops you sliding along the ground is your teeth braking you against a kerb stone.

On the topic of sliding along the ground, I was once a pillion passenger on a mate's bike. He managed to drop it for no good reason while doing in excess of 60 mph down Hillingdon Hill in Uxbridge. It is amazing how long you subjectively continue to slide on your back down the road. It takes so long that you try to stand up, figuring you mush have stopped by now, and promptly fall back down because you're still moving. I reckon that I tried to stand up three times. The subjective sliding time was minutes, the objective a few seconds. Thank god for a good leather biking jacket and the absence of any traffic to get involved with in an interesting fashion.

It will come as no surprise to you that the mate, Dave, is now dead. He went to that motorcycle rally in the sky about 30 years ago after wrapping himself and his bike around a tree at high speed (Relayed to me about 23 years ago by Izzy, the EE lass I mentioned some weeks back, when I happened to run into her in the Princess Lousie pub in Holborn, London.) There are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers.

Edit: Why is it that you only spot the literal* when you've uploaded the message. (*NOT a typo. Typos are made by typographers, literals are made by the idiot who wrote it.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:07:45 am by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88810 on: April 21, 2021, 01:19:35 am »
...Should have guessed the seller was the German cousin of the Freddy Krueger outfit we have here  :-DD; https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mjtronix/m.html     David

In all honesty, I wish we had vendors near me who offered those kinds of "grab bags" of run-end components... back in the day we had a local Surplus Outlet that did 1 lb, 5 lb and 10 lb "junk boxes"; I got a USAF-labeled gyroscope in one and 50 pieces of xenon strobe PCB in another... and more random resistors, switches, pots caps & semis than I could be arsed to count in every box... :o

mnem
   https://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?_ssn=hstate&item=164713600212&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=grab+bag&_sop=10

Mhmmm.... $40 shipping (and the large proportion of likely 30-40 years old Sprague Electro-Bombs) kindof take the sweet edge off that find. :-DD

There was a reason I said near me... those boxes make me think of floor sweepings from that rabbit warren I scoped out with 25CPS downtown, where the guy tried to get me to pay $150 for a bench PSU with one dead channel and Easy-Bake Oven left on overnight aroma...  :o

mnem
My knee still hurts from that expedition...

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88811 on: April 21, 2021, 01:25:23 am »
Med you want a HP scope ? 55$ for a HP 1740A, it's cheap right ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Packard-HP-1740A-Oscilloscope/154422216684

Edit: Just noticed it's sold for parts. Probably explain the price.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:29:22 am by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88812 on: April 21, 2021, 01:27:54 am »

mnem

Mhmmm.... $40 shipping (and the large proportion of likely 30-40 years old Sprague Electro-Bombs) kindof take the sweet edge off that find. :-DD

There was a reason I said near me... those boxes make me think of floor sweepings from that rabbit warren I scoped out with 25CPS downtown, where the guy tried to get me to pay $150 for a bench PSU with one dead channel and Easy-Bake Oven left on overnight aroma...  :o

mnem
My knee still hurts from that expedition...

Yeah it's mostly old caps and connectors. I saw some type N RF connectors in there though. Also a bag of red banana connectors. Not sure if the bag of black banana connectors is in another box  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:31:01 am by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88813 on: April 21, 2021, 01:37:30 am »

Same seller I bought the hp 3456A and the Fluke 8050A. hp is for counters and SA's, not scopes.  :P

J/K.  :-DD  Thanks for the heads up but I'm not taking on any new projects for the time being. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #88814 on: April 21, 2021, 01:59:09 am »

I just can't seem to warm up to HP scopes of that era.  The early tube ones are cool, and I have one of the later 90s era digitals, but that lot is just meh.  By and large I subscribe to the old wisdom that there are three names in oscilloscopes - Tektronix, Tektronix and Tektronix.  For all else there is HP.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88815 on: April 21, 2021, 03:04:38 am »
The near Vertical Stem and steering geometry can be prone to oscillating violently on some throwing the front wheel sideways ......

That's no different in principle to the motorcyclist's dreaded Tank Slapper, except in cutesy miniature. Cutesy that is until it pitches you off the thing and all that stops you sliding along the ground is your teeth braking you against a kerb stone.

On the topic of sliding along the ground, I was once a pillion passenger on a mate's bike. He managed to drop it for no good reason while doing in excess of 60 mph down Hillingdon Hill in Uxbridge. It is amazing how long you subjectively continue to slide on your back down the road. It takes so long that you try to stand up, figuring you mush have stopped by now, and promptly fall back down because you're still moving. I reckon that I tried to stand up three times. The subjective sliding time was minutes, the objective a few seconds. Thank god for a good leather biking jacket and the absence of any traffic to get involved with in an interesting fashion.

It will come as no surprise to you that the mate, Dave, is now dead. He went to that motorcycle rally in the sky about 30 years ago after wrapping himself and his bike around a tree at high speed (Relayed to me about 23 years ago by Izzy, the EE lass I mentioned some weeks back, when I happened to run into her in the Princess Lousie pub in Holborn, London.) There are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers.

Edit: Why is it that you only spot the literal* when you've uploaded the message. (*NOT a typo. Typos are made by typographers, literals are made by the idiot who wrote it.)

https://drivetribe.com/p/five-bikes-that-will-try-to-kill-CZxB5dxgTseTr22N1ViTTg?iid=RK1RmOEZSDebaMj3xTnr9A

I've owned 2 of the 5 on this list (well, 5 if you count the 3-wheelers; I owned all of 'em), plus the original HR and a Lawson Edition GPZ1100 that I literally wore out from new off the lot. The last was the Ninja, which I took back to the dealer in less than a week as it was the first bike I ever owned which made me keenly aware of my own mortality.

Funny thing... the GPZ was a horrible handling bike compared to the Ninja; but its bad manners complemented my own and I could slam it pretty well. The Ninja was like riding on the edge of a sword; razor sharp balance, and it always felt like you were accelerating downhill, even coming to a stoplight. I never ever experienced the wobbles with it, but it scared me worse than the GPZ, which I had and was known for them if you didn't constantly keep after the frontend...  :-//

mnem
*sighs softly, remembering the days when I was 10 feet tall & bulletproof*

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #88816 on: April 21, 2021, 03:06:41 am »

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/26-x1-75-Wheel-size-36V-500W-Electric-Bike-Conversion-Kit-for-Rear-Wheel-Motor-Hub-Control/PRD4FR0J46H75OW

Well Hell...

It arrived, and it wasn't a box with a couple bricks inside. :o

When I got back from my scooter experiment and bike riding with the family, this was waiting on the porch. It is a hub motor eBike conversion kit; I've been shopping these since before the fatBike, but with the COVID breakdown in supply chain they've been effing insanely expensive. As in ~$500 with shipping, before Duty (from China) and HGST and of course carrier brokerage fees. ::)

This one was CAS$259 delivered. From a local vendor, so no duty or other BS. Also, 500W kit vs 250-350W for the ones at the bottom of the food chain; as opposed to the cheapest FatBike kit I could find which was almost $700.

In all honesty, I was easily 50/50 skeptical that anything would arrive at all, having played the "too good to be true" lottery more than a few times on fleaBay. I must admit, I am surprised. It appears to be all new kit, in original sealed cartons, and not the most basic kit either, but midrange with a battery bag and pedal assist sensor. Only thing it doesn't have is the primo LCD control panel upgrade.  :-+

As you might imagine, when I counted and found it had the same number of spokes as my fatbike's rear wheel, I decided to take a chance. Now comes some real fun... I haven't laced up a bicycle wheel since I was a teen, and that did not turn out very well at all, as I tried to do it without a lacing jig. |O

But first, I need to get it all mocked-up and confirm it works, of course. I may be crazy, but I'm not stoopit.  ;) *knocks on wood*

mnem
If I was really smart, I'd save myself a buttload of pain & put it on the boi's bike instead... :palm:

Since you are going to be choosing "robust" spokes for that wheel, I suggest using the products and the calculator available here:
https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/
They offer very good quality spokes, and you can select heavier wire gauges than what some others might offer.
I am a satisfied customer, not affiliated in any way.

Rabbit-hole warning:  If you want to totally geek out on your wheel/bike design, check out BikeCAD:
https://www.bikecad.ca
The creator is an old mechanical engineering buddy that I have not seen in years now.

If times were non-COVID, I would have suggested a meet-up with my wheel truing stand and some TEA.

By the way, can't tell from that side of the hub, but is that hub compatible with disc brakes or is it rim braking only?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:11:38 am by cyclin_al »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #88817 on: April 21, 2021, 03:07:42 am »

If I was still fixing and flogging them I'd grab it in a heartbeat !
What's not to like, price is good and it's clean and tidy and....it's got a dot on the CRT.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88818 on: April 21, 2021, 03:59:30 am »

Well Hell... It arrived, and it wasn't a box with a couple bricks inside. :o

This one was CAD$259 delivered. From a local vendor, so no duty or other BS. Also, 500W kit vs 250-350W for the ones at the bottom of the food chain; as opposed to the cheapest FatBike kit I could find which was almost $700.

mnem

Since you are going to be choosing "robust" spokes for that wheel, I suggest using the products and the calculator available here:
They offer very good quality spokes, and you can select heavier wire gauges than what some others might offer.

Rabbit-hole warning:  If you want to totally geek out on your wheel/bike design, check out BikeCAD:
The creator is an old mechanical engineering buddy that I have not seen in years now.

If times were non-COVID, I would have suggested a meet-up with my wheel truing stand and some TEA.

By the way, can't tell from that side of the hub, but is that hub compatible with disc brakes or is it rim braking only?

Yeah... it appears I can't even count right... or at least, can't keep a number in my head for the time it takes to get from the shed to the desk and write it down anymore. The fatbike rim is 32 spoke; this hub is 36.  :palm:

I've been shopping rims, and likelihood of being able to reuse these spokes, even with a rim supposedly designed to go on these hubs, is pretty small given the original rim; that means another ~$120 or so for the rim plus a set of spokes to get the thing on my fatbike.  |O

Also... not sure I even want to do it now that I see how heavy that whole wheel really is; this bike is already a freaking tank and a bit of a chore to pedal. I'm thinking if I add the weight of that wheel and the batteries... not sure it'll ever get pedaled like a real bike again. :o

As for disk brakes; yes, it has a 6-bolt bearing cap which looks the same as the one on the fatbike wheel. I intended to measure the bolt pattern with calipers and make certain until I recounted the spokes and got disgusted. :P

At this point, I believe I need to sleep on it. Maybe some clarity will come with the morning light. ;)

mnem
 :=\

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #88819 on: April 21, 2021, 06:22:40 am »
Yeah bad sort of test gear that goes inside you  :-DD

I have that from both ways.  one down the Inlet  first and then one up the outlet.   
Couldn't find anything. So they sent me of to swallow a pillcam

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #88820 on: April 21, 2021, 06:30:54 am »

Well Hell... It arrived, and it wasn't a box with a couple bricks inside. :o

mnem

Yeah... it appears I can't even count right... or at least, can't keep a number in my head for the time it takes to get from the shed to the desk and write it down anymore. The fatbike rim is 32 spoke; this hub is 36.  :palm:

I've been shopping rims, and likelihood of being able to reuse these spokes, even with a rim supposedly designed to go on these hubs, is pretty small given the original rim; that means another ~$120 or so for the rim plus a set of spokes to get the thing on my fatbike.  |O

Also... not sure I even want to do it now that I see how heavy that whole wheel really is; this bike is already a freaking tank and a bit of a chore to pedal. I'm thinking if I add the weight of that wheel and the batteries... not sure it'll ever get pedaled like a real bike again. :o

As for disk brakes; yes, it has a 6-bolt bearing cap which looks the same as the one on the fatbike wheel. I intended to measure the bolt pattern with calipers and make certain until I recounted the spokes and got disgusted. :P

At this point, I believe I need to sleep on it. Maybe some clarity will come with the morning light. ;)

mnem
 :=\
the kit looks like a 750w unit    have fun  8)
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88821 on: April 21, 2021, 06:50:35 am »

Oh yeah.. got one of those as a present, "not working properly" . It did have some issues but I never got around to working on it. I handed it down to my stepson, who needs time to look into it..

L'histoire se repete.  (or similar spelling 😋)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88822 on: April 21, 2021, 06:54:29 am »
Yeah had one too that didn't work properly. Took some fixing that one!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-1740a-power-supply-burn-up/

This was my favourite diagnostic picture - spot the missing bond wire on the LM723:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:57:09 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88823 on: April 21, 2021, 07:06:22 am »

Oh yeah.. got one of those as a present, "not working properly" . It did have some issues but I never got around to working on it. I handed it down to my stepson, who needs time to look into it..

L'histoire se repete.  (or similar spelling 😋)

To quote Miss Shirley Bassey:
https://youtu.be/yzLT6_TQmq8

:)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #88824 on: April 21, 2021, 07:06:28 am »

The single reason which answers all that, and the fact that it continues to persist even today, and still indirectly poisons all digital formats that have followed, is simple human greed.  :-//

mnem

I'm talking about audio quality and manageability, and you are -- conveniently to your argument -- including metadata and politics.

Yes, with the hindsight of 2021, adding 1-10KiB or so of metadata is a no-brainer.

Given the technical solutions of 1982, that would mean ASCII or worse, just look at the GSM SMS charset, it is such a worse-ness; it's almost but not quite LATRINE-1, and what would Sony say? Dutch like English has hardly any characters outside 7-bit so neither one of the inventors nor most of the readers of this thread would even start thinking of this as a problem unless beaten with an internationalisation stick. Us Nordic people look at the 7-bit world and their Heavy Metal usage of umlauts and simply break down in a meleé of cringe and pity: "Mötley Crüe" "Tröjan")

(Creating that paragraph involved editing Wikipedia to insert "Tröjan", with references, just because.)

The thing with CD that has made it good beyond its useful life is that it is simple, well understood, open and not encumbered by stupid things like software "patents".  Given that CD is alive still -- according to you -- because of greed, that might seem like a controversial statement, but look at what came after it; MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, WMA, Real, APT-X, et c. ad inf. All festering piles of greed. Compared to those, CDDA is immaculate conception pure. Not until the arrival of Ogg Vorbis, FLAC and Opus has the music compression landscape become something else than an industrial wasteland.

So, there!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf