Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555957 times)

Vince, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88875 on: April 21, 2021, 03:31:10 pm »
I like CD's too and both vehicles have a CD player as well as I have player in my audio system. No way am I going to continue to pay for the privilege to stream music. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #88876 on: April 21, 2021, 03:51:53 pm »
I like CD's too and both vehicles have a CD player as well as I have player in my audio system. No way am I going to continue to pay for the privilege to stream music.

Thing is I'm paying far less/month than I used to while exploring a far wider selection of music. No complaints here.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88877 on: April 21, 2021, 03:55:12 pm »
We won't get into Sony BMG's utterly insane business practices which followed in the years after... (remember Sony rootkit-gate?) and Microsoft trying to own the DRM market by owning the formats underlying DVD and HDCD... those abominations actually are more politics than technology, and I have no interest right now... I'm miserable with back pain and stuck in the middle of 3 different projects; all stalled waiting on parts or weather or both.

Cheers,

mnem
 :blah:

Is that the reason why Microsoft bought Pacific Microsonics?  I could never figure out why and that acquisition baffled me ever since I heard it get announced.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #88878 on: April 21, 2021, 03:59:15 pm »
The single reason which answers all that, and the fact that it continues to persist even today, and still indirectly poisons all digital formats that have followed, is simple human greed.  :-//
I'm talking about audio quality and manageability, and you are -- conveniently to your argument -- including metadata and politics.
You should know by now that everything surrounding Capitalism and free economy in dragon's mind is driven by profit, greed, and crooked politics. Doesn't matter what the subject matter is...he always manages to drag in his endless bantering and verbal diarrhea. So much so that 90% of his posting I either skim or skip entirely. Perhaps he should move to Cuba, or China, or perhaps even North Korea for a year or so and then report back how great it is.     

Seriously Mike...? You are better than this kind of Facebook-grade childish personal attack. I was talking aboot the history involved, and human nature... you guys brought politics into it.

Where do we draw the line with your demands for intolerance? First it was zero-tolerance on anything involving politics; now that the flaming bag of dogshit is out of 1600 PA Ave, it's anything even addressing human nature? How aboot parenthood... is that still okay? Before long, this thread will be nothing but dog poetry and stupid cat pics. :palm:

I think I'm going to chalk this one up to you being miserable and a bit prickly as a result; maybe that's the case with me too, as my back has been screaming at me since doing yardwork and not taking a break from biking/workouts the last few days.

mnem
I can tolerate pretty much anything except intolerance.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88879 on: April 21, 2021, 04:11:42 pm »
You should know by now that everything surrounding Capitalism and free economy in dragon's mind is driven by profit, greed, and crooked politics. 

I know. It's just more fun to keep at it that way. And, I think mnem is right on to something here. Actually, I do.  Capitalism involves using the resources you have to rob others of their work or monies in order to further your own coin pile, all under a gauze-thin veil of "offered convenience" and "flourishing society". It is an industrial variant of the feudal conservative society and as such it shares the fundamentals of conservatism:
  • Those who have shall continue to gain more, unproportionally.
  • The rules limiting behaviour only apply to the ruled classes.
But such a fight needs to be fought with precision from a moral high ground of accurate statements -- it won't do to turn it into ranting. Therefore, I offer my support.  :-DD

Again... we were discussing whether CDDA was a superior format... I argued that objectively, the format was literally the least they could do... and that the reason it was made the way it was, as with most things viewed through the lens of historical events... is simple short-sighted human selfishness and stupidity in the people making the decisions.

If you want to get into the ideologies involved... well, that's a discussion I welcome, as long as it's kept civil. Others here disagree. :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #88880 on: April 21, 2021, 04:23:26 pm »
scored a free Compaq rack so playing with new metrology stack setup. Getting flashbacks to when I used to play with Compaq servers, Netware and such things. They used to make some great equipment.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Robert763, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, srb1954, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88881 on: April 21, 2021, 04:59:37 pm »
Not to mention YOU OWN the CD unlike a iTunes download.
Yes and no...   technically, you have still licensed the music on the disc (you are not allowed to broadcast it, public performances, etc.)

But I'm nitpicking.   I've actually just bought a stack of CDs and use them to burn compilations that I then share and discuss with my friends -  it is so much more "tangible", and - funnily enough - most people still have a CD player somewhere, even if it is in their car or whatever, and they seem to enjoy dusting it off and "going back to their roots".

I like the Verbatim "Digital Vinyl" CDRs for this, they look awesome and work great, giving a completely inauthentic experience!  :D

*History Time*

Actually, you don't necessarily even own that. According to the law as it stands now stood aboot a decade ago in the US, you don't own even the CD as a storage medium anymore; you only own the plastic itself... your rights to the contents now are solely contingent upon the printed paper "label" that came in in the jewel box packaging with the copyright disclaimer on it.

Due to the fact of pretty much everybody in the world getting rid of the CD cases then putting just the discs in CD portfolios to make their stone-age music library manageable... when folks started then ripping their library to iTunes, then selling the folios on eBay or pawn shops for a pittance, cutting into new disc sales across the board... then music execs panicked and spent oodles of bucks buying new laws that made those folios of CDs technically illegal, therefore worthless in any legitimate resale venue.  ::)

However... before that time, the disc and the copy of the data on it was technically yours, and the break-seal EULA stated so. This carefully crafted body of new laws retconned every law those same music execs agreed to with the end-user for almost 2 decades of CD music sales; literally changing the terms of sale years after the physical item was purchased. :palm:

Yeah, I also used to enjoy making and sharing mix tapes... "Fair Use" actually meant something once upon a time.  :o

Of course, that horrible evil of distributing poor quality copies of individual tracks without paying music executives a cut under the pay for play business model was the excuse made for granting the RIAA their current level of unconscionable political and legal power.

The popularity of Guardians of the Galaxy has recently brought with it a resurgence in this once popular pastime... as you say, much more tangible and personal than emailing somebody a link to your (or much more often, someone else's) playlist.  :P

I used to use those discs back in the day; when I kept a small CD folio in the center console and a CD player in the dash. The car is a horrible environment for CDs; the attrition rate made archiving originals and playing copies, at least in my mind, an absolute necessity. Sadly, when I bought a Pioneer CD Cartridge deck, it refused to play them... and I had to go back to conventional clear substrate discs.

But hey! They were printable!  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:48:10 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88882 on: April 21, 2021, 05:16:47 pm »
*History Time*

Actually, you don't. According to the law as it stands now, you don't own even the CD as a storage medium anymore; you only own the plastic itself... your rights to the contents now are solely contingent upon the printed paper "label" that came in in the jewel box packaging with the copyright disclaimer on it.

[Citation Required]

The problem with techies (and I'm not just talking about you Mnem) stating that "the law is this" or "the law is that" are twofold. One, they often don't know the law or have the background to interpret it correctly even if they have the relevant bit of legislation open in front of them. Two, even if they get it right, it only applies to the little backwater of 4.22% to 0.000136% of the world's population that they themselves live in.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88883 on: April 21, 2021, 05:28:05 pm »
We won't get into Sony BMG's utterly insane business practices which followed in the years after... (remember Sony rootkit-gate?) and Microsoft trying to own the DRM market by owning the formats underlying DVD and HDCD... those abominations actually are more politics than technology, and I have no interest right now... I'm miserable with back pain and stuck in the middle of 3 different projects; all stalled waiting on parts or weather or both.

Cheers,

mnem
 :blah:
Is that the reason why Microsoft bought Pacific Microsonics?  I could never figure out why and that acquisition baffled me ever since I heard it get announced.

Could be... it's been a while since I was involved in those circles... easily a decade or more. I pretty much gave up on all that bunk a while back.  :-[

Once I had to start using iTunes because of my wife's profession, it became pretty clear that it was the best use of my time... rip it once, and you can curate it, archive it, and burn copies whenever you need to make it portable. We still have a dozen CD folios of the original music archive in storage; fuck the RIAA.

I also have a couple 4th-5th gen iPod Nanos I keep alive simply for the convenience. I'm weird and it annoys me to have the music turn itself off if I get a phone call; when I'm listening to my albums, I want to decide whether the call is important enough to disrupt the flow of chi. :-//

mnem

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #88884 on: April 21, 2021, 05:38:19 pm »
<snip>

Fun today. Toilet flush packed in. Siphon dead. I’m not doing any plumbing as I only do electrons and higher levels of information abstraction.  Well fuck I didn’t get away with the hack job I did last time and now need a new toilet  :-DD
You can go to the hardware store B&Q etc, and buy just the siphon and replace the old one, no need for an expensive new toilet.

Yeah not that easy. It was immovably stuck which is why I rapidly subcontracted it out to someone else. During removal the pipe needed to be replaced and the donut flange thing. Which is now pissing out because the original person who installed it (not me) managed to take a chunk out of the cistern and bodged it with sealant.

I think I'm horrible at plumbing, but since it's an opportunity to buy tools and go backwards into more crafty styles of doing things I now have pipe threading tools (REMS EVA) up to BSPT 1 1/4" and am quite good at sealing threaded joints with flax and compound.  :palm:

Also, owning a swimming pool creates sort of a basic requirement to either pay silly amounts of money or learn to fix things. My main rule is that I don't cheat in plumbing, because I'm too bad at it to cheat with style.

I've fixed one of our loos that had the outlet cracked. Thankfully it was a properly supported one, so spares are available, 30 years after it was introduced. I had to get the tank off and dismount the entire mechanism to swap that bad part out. This thread describes that.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88885 on: April 21, 2021, 05:40:48 pm »
...At this point, I believe I need to sleep on it. Maybe some clarity will come with the morning light. ;)

mnem
 :=\

This is what the morning light brought... :o

fukkin' seriously? 3 days ago I was sweating like a longshoreman, doing yardwork in t-shirt & shorts... :P

mnem
*clarity*

All i see is that your deck is bigger than my house  :-DD
Everything over there is bigger than your house  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88886 on: April 21, 2021, 05:42:45 pm »
*History Time*

Actually, you don't. According to the law as it stands now, you don't own even the CD as a storage medium anymore; you only own the plastic itself... your rights to the contents now are solely contingent upon the printed paper "label" that came in in the jewel box packaging with the copyright disclaimer on it.

[Citation Required]

The problem with techies (and I'm not just talking about you Mnem) stating that "the law is this" or "the law is that" are twofold. One, they often don't know the law or have the background to interpret it correctly even if they have the relevant bit of legislation open in front of them. Two, even if they get it right, it only applies to the little backwater of 4.22% to 0.000136% of the world's population that they themselves live in.

A very good point.

Another point is that “the law” is a set of definitions which merely define things and consequences of those things. Application of “the law” is not absolute or deterministic. A demon doesn’t just materialise out of thin air and brand you as a criminal. If it did I’d have a fine collection of demons by now.

I’m going to state now that if steaming disappears or becomes inconvenient to me then I will stand tall on the poop deck, erect my mast, sail into the pirate bay and head straight for the booty  ;)

I do not give a fuck about licensing and ownership past my convenience and no one else does. The law is entirely irrelevant if that is generally the case.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:46:10 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88887 on: April 21, 2021, 05:45:14 pm »
*History Time*

Actually, you don't necessarily even own that. According to the law as it stands now stood aboot a decade ago in the US, you don't own even the CD as a storage medium anymore; you only own the plastic itself... your rights to the contents now are solely contingent upon the printed paper "label" that came in in the jewel box packaging with the copyright disclaimer on it.

[Citation Required]

The problem with techies (and I'm not just talking about you mnem) stating that "the law is this" or "the law is that" are twofold. One, they often don't know the law or have the background to interpret it correctly even if they have the relevant bit of legislation open in front of them. Two, even if they get it right, it only applies to the little backwater of 4.22% to 0.000136% of the world's population that they themselves live in.

And I'll argue that the citation may be requested, but it is not required. ;)

You can feel free to discount what I say, or you can do your own research like I did. I used to be pretty heavily into this, as it was my "thing". Now that you bring this to my attention, I will admit it has been a long while since I traveled in those circles too. I'm certain some things have changed. In mind of your considered argument, I will go and amend my original statement appropriately. :-+

I will state freely that this was the case at the time they bought these laws, and it was primarily in the US that they did successfully bring that about.

I'm not sure how subsequent legal arguments in other nations, especially the EU and UK, eventually panned out... though it is my understanding that many of them did in fact drag on for over a decade, making a lot of the argument moot.

However, I have little doubt these laws remain in effect, at least in the US; as of the time I left Tejas, pawn shops and CD Exchange type places still refused to buy any disc or collection that didn't have the original jewel boxes and cover art slips; with disclaimers citing this legal action posted in plain sight.

One thing I'm still certain of though... is that we, the customers, continue pay for all that legal hoodoo... whether it comes/came to fruition or not.  :P

mnem
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:08:46 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88888 on: April 21, 2021, 05:54:42 pm »
Quite right, I have a couple of Alexa speakers around the house and can stream music from Amazon Prime to them, but I only stream what is included free with my standard Prime package, I won't pay for music when I can play shitloads from my CD collection, iTunes server or Internet Radio for free (as long as pay for internet).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:10:04 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88889 on: April 21, 2021, 05:56:39 pm »
...At this point, I believe I need to sleep on it. Maybe some clarity will come with the morning light. ;)

mnem

This is what the morning light brought... :o   fukkin' seriously? 3 days ago I was sweating like a longshoreman, doing yardwork in t-shirt & shorts... :P

mnem
*clarity*
It's bigger than my house too... so much smaller inside than our last place. Also, so much higher maintenance due to the huge yards.
Never, ever going to lease a duplex again. All the assache of an apartment, all the assache of a house, none of the advantages of either. |O

mnem
*punt*
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:07:08 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88890 on: April 21, 2021, 06:06:29 pm »
*History Time*

[Citation Required]

A very good point.

Another point is that “the law” is a set of definitions which merely define things and consequences of those things. Application of “the law” is not absolute or deterministic. A demon doesn’t just materialise out of thin air and brand you as a criminal. If it did I’d have a fine collection of demons by now.

I’m going to state now that if steaming disappears or becomes inconvenient to me then I will stand tall on the poop deck, erect my mast, sail into the pirate bay and head straight for the booty  ;)

I do not give a fuck about licensing and ownership past my convenience and no one else does. The law is entirely irrelevant if that is generally the case.

I'll argue that being a somewhat sane & sensible person capable of independent thought is why we both in fact do have a fine collection of demons at our advanced age. ;)

mnem
"All the world is mad save thee and me; and oft I have my doubts of thee." ~attributed to Robert Owen
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:13:04 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88891 on: April 21, 2021, 06:59:39 pm »
Sane and sensible? How dare you! :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #88892 on: April 21, 2021, 07:32:15 pm »
thinking about dying my hair red and going batshit crazy ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88893 on: April 21, 2021, 07:41:01 pm »
I prefer soldering 234 1206 470R resistors and 234 5mm blinking LEDs ...  brings peace to my mind.  :D :-/O
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88894 on: April 21, 2021, 07:42:23 pm »

mnem

This is what the morning light brought... :o

fukkin' seriously? 3 days ago I was sweating like a longshoreman, doing yardwork in t-shirt & shorts... :P

mnem
*clarity*

Congrats Specmaster to Reply #88888  :-+  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88895 on: April 21, 2021, 08:00:07 pm »
Just to mention, all this OCXO talk a while back made me buy a Samsung "UCCM" GPSDO  ::)
Awaiting delivery  :horse:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88896 on: April 21, 2021, 08:03:22 pm »

Must post pictures.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88897 on: April 21, 2021, 08:19:06 pm »
Sane and sensible? How dare you! :-DD

Somewhat... to certain definitions of the term.  >:D

mnem
Actually, I'm surprised he's not even more offended that I dared lump him in with myself in any way... :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88898 on: April 21, 2021, 08:27:48 pm »
Very nice. Recommend Revox B77 with external Nakamichi Dolby C

That would be nice but the price is currently getting insane on this units.
I just got an A77 mark IV I'm completely restoring.

I hope getting a B77 or a PR99 a day for a decent price.
The total dream would be to get a Studer  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88899 on: April 21, 2021, 08:34:39 pm »
Must post pictures.  :-DD

mnem
Please tell me that "orb" isn't made of what I think it is... *hides under a car cargo ship*
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:36:23 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf