Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14834420 times)

EggertEnjoyer123 and 139 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88900 on: April 21, 2021, 08:37:56 pm »
[...]  the engineering folks at Philips & Sony developed metadata as part of the CDDA specification, and tried to get it into production. [...]

I actually like that there is ZERO data on the disc other than the music - it just makes things so much easier!   If you can't remember the music, there's always Shazam or SoundHound, or - gasp - a written note in the cover!  :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #88901 on: April 21, 2021, 09:26:12 pm »
Good there's a light at the end of the tunnel, med. And good that there's no lurkers, both of ya.  :-+

mnem
*toddles off to work on the Fatbike o' Doom*

And so it begins...

...my descent into madness. :o

mnem
"Daddy... your bike-ickle...?"

"Yes baby... my bike-ickle."

"It's green, like a dinosaur!"

"Yes baby grrl..."

"BIKE-A-SAURUS!!!"

"Yes, baby; Bike-a-saurus..."
:-DD
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:33:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88902 on: April 21, 2021, 10:29:06 pm »
Now this is what you call a suitable bike for a Dwagon...

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88903 on: April 21, 2021, 11:53:03 pm »
Yeah, there's been a huge explosion in exactly this arena over the last 5 years; I've seen dozens of Kickstarters.

Problem is... that's exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. If I wanted that, I'd buy an old dirt bike and build it. Literally a weekend project if you have a welder and torches.

No... my intent was just to make sure I don't wind up stranded somewhere between home and one of the local parks if my knee gives out; I intend to pedal this monstrosity most of the time.

I chose hub motor because it looked like a lot less dicking around with little bits of stoopit barely-heavy-enough bracketry and crap; so far not sure it was such a good idea.

First off, it's a lot more weight than I was figuring; even with LiPo power instead of cylindrical cells, this thing is gonna turn what was pig into a bulldozer.  :palm:

Second... due to the fact of it being a "regular bike" version instead of a "fatbike" version... a lot more fabricobbling required than originally thought. Given the differing offsets and the fact it doesn't use conventional bike bearings & skewers means that getting the hub centered in the frame is a really big assache...

See... from here, things look pretty promising; the hub uses the same rotor as the original wheel, and a couple washers is all it'll take to get the brakes in line...

... but here, we see that because the axle shaft is literally twice as fat, a large portion of the rotor doesn't engage with the pads. This means either grinding out the axle slot to allow the whole thing to drop in more (not a bad idea in this case) or more monkeying around fabricobbling something to get the calipers aligned properly. But that's just the small stuff...

...this is the real problem. Due to the way the shaft is cut away for the wires, there's literally only aboot another 4-5mm I can offset in the right direction before I run out of usable thread. Ugghhh... :palm: Getting the new rim centered in that space... is going to take a lot more offset in the laceup than I feel is safe, even allowing for some wiggle room by squishing the axle plates closer together.

Def gonna be a little more cogitating involved here, I think.

mnem
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:09:20 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88904 on: April 22, 2021, 01:37:56 am »

Note 2: Told some of my ham friends I got this power meter (they know what I do over here, some have visited). I said it isn't a "Ham" thing like MFJ stuff it's legit lab equipment and wasn't made for "casual" ham radio use. But it certainly can be used for that hobby if I wanted to. One of them asked me how much power it could measure. I said, well the sensor can measure from -30 dBm to +20 dBm without attenuation. He said that +20 dBm sounded like a lot of power.

I said - don't get one. That's me - saving power sensors for posterity - one day at a time.  :-DD

You actually let some of those Hobos in your house? Did you have to fumigate afterwards?  :P :-DD

I'm one of those hobos!

More on topic, & onto non ham matters, back in the day, for the lower powered analog TV sites (around 2kW), we used a HP410c & a special pickup "tee" (can't remember the hp part number of that), read the RMS value of the RF, then calculated the Power with a calculator (a hp one, of course!).

This translated OK as "sync tip power", as the 410c probe is a "sample & hold" type of detector.
As there are no amplitude variations on the Sound carrier, for that, it gave average power.

I have a 410c, & have been looking for the "tee", but I think, even if I get one, the setup might be too insensitive for ham power levels.

For higher power sites, the default was a water cooled load------knowing the flow rate & temperature rise, we could calculate the average power, then knowing the amplitude of the syncs, we could further calculate "sync tip power".

We did have one of the HP RF level meters which was good for lower level stuff, but it got little use, as a spec an could get us to around 1dB accuracy.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #88905 on: April 22, 2021, 01:43:25 am »

I would guess that after having a rebore, you may need a catheter for a while until that internal wound heals.

Nope, according to what I was told the day after they release me the catheter comes out. I can't wait.  :-+

OK. I guess that means the reborer cauterises the wound, but what do I know. I had my prostate removed completely, which brings different problems.

Med, I have been violated like that 3 times this year, it doesn't get any better or any more fun.  TGGZZ, sorry to hear you had to go that route.  I have 45 treatments of proton beam targeted radiotherapy coming up in a month or so.  Mrs. GreyWoolfe has been teasing me that my A$$ will probably glow enough to be a directional beacon for the commuter airport just up the road.  If I was told I had to have my prostate removed, I would seriously consider and weigh the length of life compared to the quality of life.  I've done my reading and am all too painfully aware of the joys of prostate removal.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88906 on: April 22, 2021, 02:01:44 am »
thinking about dying my hair red and going batshit crazy ...

"Going"??

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #88907 on: April 22, 2021, 04:23:10 am »
Non Trivial. So much copper in the PCB.....

Quick check post PCB removal Dead Buggery style with Vc floating in the breeze near enough to 10Meg.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:45:26 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88908 on: April 22, 2021, 04:50:29 am »

Def gonna be a little more cogitating involved here, I think.

mnem

Welp, after test running the thing... and testing another 350W controller I've had in the parts bin for months... I am pleased to know it does all work, as does said 2nd controller. Now I think I'm going to put it all away and try to get my fatbike together with proper height handlebars, then put this motor on a normal bike frame. Haven't decided if I'll keep it or sell it.

mnem
 :=\

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #88909 on: April 22, 2021, 05:27:03 am »
And because I'm completely  sick, I'm now starting with R2R

Ever since I was a wee lad I always wanted a reel to reel deck - solenoid action for the dream fulfilled.  Some years ago I came upon an AKAI GX620 for a sum I was happy to spend which seemed operational except for once channel dead on playback.  I suspected the fix would be electronic and later I discovered there were "overhaul kits" containing semis and caps as items of the era were prone to needing such action.

So ... one day ... I will get around to giving it the attention it deserves and I will have it proudly displayed with a couple of 10" reels - and then show it can play music (to the probable disbelief of the younger generation).

It is, however, missing one of the thumbscrews that retains the head cover panel.  Other than that, it is rather good cosmetically.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #88910 on: April 22, 2021, 05:53:13 am »
Back in my younger days I had 2 of those B77s plus the Dolby C. They were very interesting. Had to sell them when moving, though.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #88911 on: April 22, 2021, 05:55:13 am »
Pictures Brumby walking the streets with a R2R on his shoulder.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #88912 on: April 22, 2021, 06:20:44 am »
Heat pins one by one, slowly lifting 0.1mm at the time by turning an inserted flat screwdriver(2.5 wide X 0.5mm thick, like the Wiha 260/2.5X50); by the end of the process, you may need a 3-4 mm wide to completely extract it.
The secret is the patience: don't to go too fast - or, you will break the glass exits(if they are still intact); check the top for damage.
And, as usual, be generous with the flux, leaded solder, and streighten pins before extraction.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #88913 on: April 22, 2021, 07:12:49 am »

I would guess that after having a rebore, you may need a catheter for a while until that internal wound heals.

Nope, according to what I was told the day after they release me the catheter comes out. I can't wait.  :-+

OK. I guess that means the reborer cauterises the wound, but what do I know. I had my prostate removed completely, which brings different problems.

Med, I have been violated like that 3 times this year, it doesn't get any better or any more fun.  TGGZZ, sorry to hear you had to go that route.  I have 45 treatments of proton beam targeted radiotherapy coming up in a month or so.  Mrs. GreyWoolfe has been teasing me that my A$$ will probably glow enough to be a directional beacon for the commuter airport just up the road.  If I was told I had to have my prostate removed, I would seriously consider and weigh the length of life compared to the quality of life.  I've done my reading and am all too painfully aware of the joys of prostate removal.

It was removed a decade ago, so I'm used to it. Given that my PSA was 24, doing nothing was not a long term option.

I could have had removal via daVinci "robot" or external beam radiotherapy (not protons). I dithered while researching it, and chose surgery based on side effects. I decided that since glider pilots has mechanisms for dealing with peeing while flying, clearly that was tolerable - whereas bowel problems wouldn't be.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88914 on: April 22, 2021, 07:17:46 am »
As someone who has spent a few years with the odd bowel problem here and there I’d agree on that one.

Ideally I’d like to replace everything from the neck down with something robotic instead  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #88915 on: April 22, 2021, 07:35:54 am »
Heat pins one by one, slowly lifting 0.1mm at the time by turning an inserted flat screwdriver(2.5 wide X 0.5mm thick, like the Wiha 260/2.5X50); by the end of the process, you may need a 3-4 mm wide to completely extract it.
The secret is the patience: don't to go too fast - or, you will break the glass exits(if they are still intact); check the top for damage.
And, as usual, be generous with the flux, leaded solder, and streighten pins before extraction.

Yep I was dipping the tip in extra flux and added way more solder than was there to begin with ;) The extra cut made the wiggling much easier as my desoldering gun was struggling to put enough heat in. The small ding on one of them should be ok and the glass bits look ok.

Rough plan for one of them is a plaything module with a standard manually tweaked 10MHz module with a bypass to allow some external steering instead. The other can just go in the bits box for the time being.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88916 on: April 22, 2021, 07:53:41 am »
Keeping with the TEA. I bought the lcr meter I always wanted, but could never afford. It looks almost brand new.
This year was big for me TEA wise, just never posted it.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #88917 on: April 22, 2021, 10:44:36 am »
Got a small parcel delivered today - inside very tightly but well packaged 11 pieces of these CTI OCXOs.

Made a small test jig and tested three of them - I'm quite satisfied with these. One of them will go to upgrade my DCF77 receiver (http://wunderkis.de/dcf-rcvr/), another one to my PM6654.

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #88918 on: April 22, 2021, 10:46:36 am »

It was removed a decade ago, so I'm used to it. Given that my PSA was 24, doing nothing was not a long term option.

I could have had removal via daVinci "robot" or external beam radiotherapy (not protons). I dithered while researching it, and chose surgery based on side effects. I decided that since glider pilots has mechanisms for dealing with peeing while flying, clearly that was tolerable - whereas bowel problems wouldn't be.

My PSA is 8.5 and my Gleeson score is 8.  The Proton beam radiotherapy side effects are minimal and it is much more efficient at what it does.  I am hoping for minimal and that they go away after treatment if I have any side effects at all, which is the preferred outcome.  So far, I am not having the typical side effects of the hormone therapy except for the 1st weekend after the loading dose so I will be guardedly optimistic on no side effects of the radiotherapy.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 10:51:17 am by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #88919 on: April 22, 2021, 10:57:04 am »

My PSA is 8.5 and my Gleeson score is 8.  The Proton beam radiotherapy side effects are minimal and it is much more efficient at what it does.  I am hoping for minimal and that they go away after treatment if I have any side effects at all, which is the preferred outcome.  So far, I am not having the typical side effects of the hormone therapy except for the 1st weekend after the loading dose so I will be guardedly optimistic on no side effects of the radiotherapy.

Proton beam was a research technique when I was done. My understanding is that it is indeed less destructive, since they choose tHe proton's energy so that it judders to a halt and deposits all the energy in the prostate, not on the "way in" nor "way out.

Good luck :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #88920 on: April 22, 2021, 01:16:18 pm »
absolutely. Good luck.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88921 on: April 22, 2021, 01:28:45 pm »

Good luck, we're all thinking of you.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88922 on: April 22, 2021, 01:35:23 pm »
Keeping with the TEA. I bought the lcr meter I always wanted, but could never afford. It looks almost brand new.
This year was big for me TEA wise, just never posted it.

Hoo really nice. And you got the bnc adapter :-+

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #88923 on: April 22, 2021, 01:42:27 pm »

Good luck, we're all thinking of you.

Thank you all so much for the kind words.  I have a lot of people supporting me on this and so far I am happy to say that even though it started off rough, my mental state is much better.  I have great doctors, the best in the area taking care of me so I know that the outcome will be successful.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88924 on: April 22, 2021, 01:52:14 pm »
Thank you all so much for the kind words.  I have a lot of people supporting me on this and so far I am happy to say that even though it started off rough, my mental state is much better.  I have great doctors, the best in the area taking care of me so I know that the outcome will be successful.

Keep my fingers crossed, get well soon and listen to what the doctor is saying.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf