Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555359 times)

duckduck, Vince, Aiy and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #88975 on: April 23, 2021, 01:18:44 am »
And nicked all our actors to make it.  :)
Still, back in the day, you Poms used to steal all the Oz actors, & send us stupefyingly bad TV shows in exchange:

"Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em", anyone?
or
"Love Thy Neighbour"
or
" Are You Being Served?", etc.
(& they were amongst the better ones----- there was one with some weird kaftan wearing secret agent/detective the name of which I forget, which really plumbed the depths)

We, in turn, filched actors from NZ.

To be fair we also polluted their minds with 'Home and Away" and "Neighbors"  :-DD The ex Pommie Red Head seemed to have arrived here under the delusion that was how it was  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88976 on: April 23, 2021, 01:29:45 am »
I might point out that we also sent you Pete and Dud*, The Two Ronnies, Monty Python's Flying Circus and others. And frankly you should thank us for taking George Lazenby and Barry Humphries off your hands. I really don't know what you think we've done to deserve forty years of "Dame Edna Everage" - getting a bunch of lame jokes about Mrs Slocombe's pussy in return is hardly adequate punishment.

Dud: "I’ve got to say, you can’t tell whether that’s a good painting or not,
because you can’t see their eyes, whether they follow you around the room."

Pete: "No, the sign of a good painting like that, Dud, with their backs toward you,
is if the bottoms follow you around the room. If it’s a good painting, the
bottoms’d follow you around the room."
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #88977 on: April 23, 2021, 03:07:34 am »
In Other News...

Finally got my X570 mainboard back from GigaByte. Yes, they claimed to have repaired it, and yes, it is the same board I sent. Has the same ser# and the same ding in the aluminum cover I did with the WaterForce GPU upgrade a while back.

Once my entire workspace isn't covered with bits o' fatbike I'll get after firing it up & road-testing.

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88978 on: April 23, 2021, 08:03:28 am »
Anyone feel like checking or using and abusing this model in their playing feel free https://a360.co/2QOjCLN (Fusion 360.tronics) I think I mapped the pins properly  ::)

3D model took way less time than the rest of the BS  |O

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:12:13 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, BU508A, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88979 on: April 23, 2021, 08:21:20 am »
What shall I say?   :-//
This one cried for a new home.   :-DD

A Yokogawa-HP 4260A universal bridge from 1975, delivered as shown for 100 Euros. Maybe I need to clean the knobs from the dust.  :D

R and L measurements seems to be fine, C values seems to be too low.
Q and D shows no reaction on center meter, but I need to understand the theory first, which was the idea of buying this one: A hands on tutorial on bridges.  :-)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88980 on: April 23, 2021, 08:42:49 am »

A Yokogawa-HP 4260A universal bridge from 1975, delivered as shown for 100 Euros. Maybe I need to clean the knobs from the dust.  :D

Q and D shows no reaction on center meter, but I need to understand the theory first, which was the idea of buying this one: A hands on tutorial on bridges.  :-)

Ah, you got a very fine instrument there!
I had one, too and sold it only because I have a HP 4263A LCR meter..

The HP documentation is out there on the web and like other TE of that era, very well described.
There's also an article in the HP journal:, iirc.
edit: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjRqare_ZPwAhU3gP0HHXSCDHMQFjAAegQIBhAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hpl.hp.com%2Fhpjournal%2Fpdfs%2FIssuePDFs%2F1966-09.pdf&usg=AOvVaw25oVR-4EVR21BGAvg99nTd
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:51:30 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88981 on: April 23, 2021, 08:47:05 am »
This board has done it to me AGAIN.  :rant: :blah: :scared: Talked me into this, you lot did. I am holding all of you personally accountable here.

Yes, I finally broke down and bought a (cheap) GPSDO. What are you people trying to do, turn me into a time-nut?!??  :-/O

We solve your problems.   >:D
If you'd feel uncomfortable only having one GPSDO that you cannot compare to anything else we'll love to give you advise what other GPSDO, rubidium reference or even cesium reference you could and should (seriously: this is the TEA thread) go for...  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:39:36 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus, Peter_O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88982 on: April 23, 2021, 09:10:52 am »
Anyone feel like checking or using and abusing this model in their playing feel free https://a360.co/2QOjCLN (Fusion 360.tronics) I think I mapped the pins properly  ::)

3D model took way less time than the rest of the BS  |O

Nice job. Looks spot on  :-+

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88983 on: April 23, 2021, 09:25:09 am »
This board has done it to me AGAIN.  :rant: :blah: :scared: Talked me into this, you lot did. I am holding all of you personally accountable here.

Yes, I finally broke down and bought a (cheap) GPSDO. What are you people trying to do, turn me into a time-nut?!??  :-/O

With one GPDSO you're not a time nut, you need to have at least two more of them for comparison :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88984 on: April 23, 2021, 09:33:54 am »
That is good..  I only have 2 GPSDO. And a Rb.  So by definition I am not a frequency/time nut.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88985 on: April 23, 2021, 10:38:33 am »
Still, back in the day, you Poms used to steal all the Oz actors, & send us stupefyingly bad TV shows in exchange:

or
"Love Thy Neighbour"
or
(& they were amongst the better ones----- there was one with some weird kaftan wearing secret agent/detective the name of which I forget, which really plumbed the depths)

Aw, now come on be fair, that was retaliation for you giving us Neighbours and Skippy the Bush Kangaroo among others. At least we sent you some funnies to have a laugh at   :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88986 on: April 23, 2021, 10:39:58 am »

or
"Love Thy Neighbour"
or

Aw, now come on be fair, that was retaliation for you giving us Neighbours and Skippy the Bush Kangaroo among others. At least we sent you some funnies to have a laugh at   :-DD

You mean, the famous Benny Hill show?  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88987 on: April 23, 2021, 10:48:06 am »
Has anyone in the UK got their email notifications of any new posting to thread working yet?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88988 on: April 23, 2021, 10:49:41 am »

or
"Love Thy Neighbour"
or

You mean, the famous Benny Hill show?  ;D
Of course  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 10:52:04 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #88989 on: April 23, 2021, 10:57:35 am »
 ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88990 on: April 23, 2021, 11:02:18 am »
;D

This thread sometimes is far more Pythonesque  >:D

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #88991 on: April 23, 2021, 11:48:51 am »

Mildenhall Osprey on a training exercise practised landing yesterday at Cambridge Addenbrookes Helipad and on take off the wash from its twin rotors destroyed the helipad  :palm:, something that our Heli-Med copters don't do  :phew:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/addenbrookes-hospital-helipad-damage-helicopter-20444102
Huh?!? Carnage...? It's a temp helipad that doesn't appear was ever properly anchored. Am I missing something here?

Isn't that something USAF flight engineers should know better than to try and take off with that from a temp heli landing site? Or is this hospital actually using that as a permanent helipad? :o

No matter who's at fault... clearly a failure in the command structure and communications channels. :palm:

mnem
"Hold into your butts..."

It is (was) a permanent helicopter landing site. It was not designed for a V22. Note the matting that was lifted is NOT what the V22  landed on or that the normal helicopters land on. They land on the grass. The matting is (was) for the transfer land ambulances to stop them getting bogged down.

SNAFU.

Slightly off topic:
https://youtu.be/HkcFtnBslys

The following users thanked this post: Per Hansson, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #88992 on: April 23, 2021, 12:12:07 pm »
Has anyone in the UK got their email notifications of any new posting to thread working yet?

Not your question, but NL yes.. so europe-ish is working
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #88993 on: April 23, 2021, 12:14:58 pm »

With one GPDSO you're not a time nut, you need to have at least two more of them for comparison :D

McBryce.

Damn... then i need a second one... |O :-DD
then i pick one with GPS+GALILEO  becouse??... if have no clue.. sounds better then only GPPS  :-DD
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #88994 on: April 23, 2021, 12:22:14 pm »

McBryce.

then i pick one with GPS+GALILEO  becouse??... if have no clue.. sounds better then only GPPS  :-DD

GPS
GLONASS
GALILEO
BEIDOU

;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #88995 on: April 23, 2021, 12:22:57 pm »

McBryce.

GPS
GLONASS
GALILEO
BEIDOU

;D

Yes i found just that one.....  :-+ :-+"
edit: allmost... you need to pick 2 of them.. https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AUW32V
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:25:55 pm by tonyalbus »

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88996 on: April 23, 2021, 12:45:47 pm »

McBryce.

GPS
GLONASS
GALILEO
BEIDOU

;D

edit: allmost... you need to pick 2 of them.. https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AUW32V
Well BEIDOU is centred on China and GALILEO is still mostly a dream of some european nerds, so GPS and GLONASS is all you can reasonably use.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #88997 on: April 23, 2021, 12:49:23 pm »

McBryce.

GPS
GLONASS
GALILEO
BEIDOU

;D

Well BEIDOU is centred on China and GALILEO is still mostly a dream of some european nerds, so GPS and GLONASS is all you can reasonably use.

i was just about to type somthing like 'beidou coverage" in google... thanks!! then gps and glonass is will be.... i will look for one with disply... i love to see 10.00000000 :)))
Yes found it: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AnyFMD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88998 on: April 23, 2021, 12:54:37 pm »

All I can say is that I wish I'd seen it first.  :)

Good luck. Using a manual bridge can be frustrating at times, I had access to a Marconi one when I was starting out at age 12 and it takes a while to get the hang of it. BUT, once you've got  a result, you've got a result, there's no lingering doubt that some bit of digital chicanery is lying to you.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #88999 on: April 23, 2021, 12:56:29 pm »
You actually let some of those Hobos in your house? Did you have to fumigate afterwards?  :P :-DD

A fumigation tale for you as promised Med ...

Several years ago a ham friend, call him person A, had an HF transceiver that was loaned to him that stopped working properly. Another friend who fixes PCs was going to his house to get A's computer which was broken. I asked to go along to get the rig loaned to him - a Yaesu HF rig (FT-757) - that I was going to troubleshoot. The man and his wife were heavy smokers and, while they didn't smoke when we were there, the house reaked of nicotine. I could barely breath by the time I left and my clothes smelled.

We got to my house and I grabbed the radio from the front seat. We went to the truck bed and looked at the PC in horror, mainly because of its filthy condition. When I got home I just sat the rig on my bench because I wanted to take a cat nap. After the nap, I wanted to take a quick look-see inside it, to see maybe if a wire was loose causing the rig to malfunction. Yes folks, even doing that is too much for some of these people to do themselves. So I opened up the top cover. It really smelled bad and all the components were sticky from cig smoke.

NOTICE - if you want to stop reading, now is the time. What I'm about to write still creeps me out.

When I took off the cover I thought I saw something move. Then something else ... a cockroach, then another, and another! I picked up the radio and ran outside to my patio where I sat it on the ground. I called the guy who I went with and quickly told him, but he said he had already had the same thing happen with the computer! I caught Person A talking on the local repeater and told him I was going to be calling on the phone ASAP. I gave him a long and scathing dissertation.

I put the rig in a shed next door to me (the house and shed were empty at the time). I set off a bug fumigator and closed the shed door and left it there all afternoon (see attached pic from my archives). I brought the radio back to my patio and took off the bottom cover. I brushed out as many dead insects as I could. I got alcohol and wiped down as much of the wiring as I could. I really didn't want to touch anything and I didn't want any of my test leads to touch anything in there like it was. The radio never made it back inside.

This radio was loaned to person A from his ham friend  - person B. I told B about the situation, and he told me to just forget about the radio. Just put it in a bag and he'd come and get it. This person B was also loaning person A another radio of his. B went over to A's house and retrieved his equipment. He also told me he gave him a long and hard talk about the bug problem and what should be done about it. Roaches were in the radio probably because it gets warm and cozy. That's in the ham shack room. But then we think about the kitchen ... no let's not (too late).

But it wasn't over ...

I wondered how many roaches had escaped into my house when that radio was sitting on my bench for an hour. They appeared to be German roaches. A couple days later I was watching TV and a roach like the kind in the radio was on the arm of my chair. I've never had those kind of bugs, just the occasional big one that creeps in from the garage. For the next month I had to do mitigating controls to make sure I didn't get an infestation. I was furious at the guy.

Of course not all hams are like that, but at least one is.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf