Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15659818 times)

marcumr, Vertamps, Nanitamuscen and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #89075 on: April 24, 2021, 12:05:02 pm »

...  And a UHF connector rather than BNC?  :-//

Must be for HAMs, That's the connector they're most comfortable with.  :-DD

True. Should probably call it the "Hobo connector"  :-DD

Rumour has it that ARRL lifetime members have to have their nipples surgically replaced with PL259s.

Now I can't excise that image out of my mind. Thanks pal.  :palm: :-DD

Brain bleach required.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #89076 on: April 24, 2021, 12:17:39 pm »
PL259? Thats a shielded banana plug. At least the japanese makers of ham gear are sensible enough to use N for VHF/UHF gear for the european market - US hams still get SO259 for that.  :palm:

Greetings,

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89077 on: April 24, 2021, 12:23:36 pm »

Rumour has it that ARRL lifetime members have to have their nipples surgically replaced with PL259s.

Brain bleach required.

>:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #89078 on: April 24, 2021, 12:31:40 pm »
PL259? Thats a shielded banana plug. At least the japanese makers of ham gear are sensible enough to use N for VHF/UHF gear for the european market - US hams still get SO259 for that.  :palm:

Greetings,

Rainer

Greetings. Some HAM radios that operated in the 2 meter band and 70 cm band used to ship with a pigtail N connector. There still may be some that ship with an N - I don't know. But it does little good because they will just have an adapter used or be cut off and converted to PL-259. I've never known a single HAM that would make up an RF cable with an N connector (I'm sure a few have though). They don't know how to, they don't have any on-hand, and they wouldn't buy any even if they didn't.  :-DD

By the way I'm a HAM so any humor I use in that regard is self-deprecating.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #89079 on: April 24, 2021, 12:43:22 pm »
Well, our local radio club consists mainly of (mostly) retired members of our telecom authority who ran TV transmitters 24/7 as a job. So I have been exposed to high quality standards from the beginning. Some members have developed the custom to rip out all PL connectors and replace them with N or better. Even for HF work, and even in new transceivers. Measurement equipment is mostly Wandel und Goltermann and Rohde und Schwarz. Operated by people who know what they are doing.

BTW for you Americans: its "Rohde" not "Rhode"!!!

Greetings,

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: FransW, duckduck

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89080 on: April 24, 2021, 12:48:44 pm »
Here it’s all ex CB trolls, gremlins and muggles

Edit: got to say that the foundation test here was great. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could ace it in 5 minutes. That was shockingly good at filtering out undesirable folk at the same time. I was surprised as most of the questions were like: if you find a ham lying on the ground do you (a) poke him with a stick (b) turn off the power and call an ambulance (c) get a shovel and dig a shallow grave in the garden and eBay all his kit.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:56:46 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89081 on: April 24, 2021, 12:59:08 pm »
... Operated by people who know what they are doing.

Anymore, people can study the answers to all the test questions, get through all the tests, and get an extra class in one sitting. Does that mean they know much of anything? Nope. But they are an "extra class". Means little these days.  :(

BTW for you Americans: its "Rohde" not "Rhode"!!!

I knew that, aren't you proud of me?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89082 on: April 24, 2021, 01:05:06 pm »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89083 on: April 24, 2021, 01:07:40 pm »
Puke 87V anyone? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203376748247

That brings back bad memories of which I related in my little story a few pages back.  :-\

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89084 on: April 24, 2021, 01:27:47 pm »
Ok, PE1542 on the bench today. These are three channel units, 2x 20V/1A & 1x 7V/3A. Nice and compact. I have two. One was acting dicky so I figured swap them. Swapped them, started inspecting #1. Hmm, current regulation is dicky on the two 20V channels, oscillates at ~450kHz. Inspected presumably good #2 just for fun - one of the 20V channels does it as well :-BROKE . Oh joy! Now these have been recapped, and there is not much more in there then a µA723 and a diff pair to adjust current limiting. Reasonably to suspect the ceramic 1nF caps that look like they are there to calm the diff pair? Funny enough, the older manual ('82) specs a 4.7nF and a 1nF, the newer ('85) specs two 1nF. Should I suspect beancounters at work trimming the BOM?

There were two types, the 1542/00 and the PE1542/60.
The difference is the DC adjustment range: /00 0-20V and the /60 0-32V.
Max current went from 1,0 A to 1,4 A.
See attachment.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #89085 on: April 24, 2021, 01:37:48 pm »

This HAM plans to excise it in exchange for N jacks on everything he can. Shit plug, shit performance. My OK list holds TNC, BNC, N, SMA, and C. Not 7/16 yet because I haven't played with them. And a tentative "maybe" for DIN 1.0/2.3, because it is on some things I have to work with.

Regarding DIN 1.0/2.3 I have the following story to offer: Work has a bunch of Cisco ASR9001 routers. Fairly competent box, pretty expensive. It has a GNSS receiver, with SMA antenna jack. Also has timing I/O, BITS on a modular jack, and 10Mhz / 1PPS on some small coax jacks that the manual said was SMB. So I expensed a 10-pack of 50Ω SMB on a Mouser order, and started building cables. Did they fit? No, absolutely not! The manual was wrong, and it so turned out they'd fitted 1.0/2.3 jacks instead.  I dutifully opened a TAC case, and I think the manual's been changed now.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #89086 on: April 24, 2021, 01:41:14 pm »
I've just made good on my basic addict's duty and ordered the 34401 missing on the desk.
There was no excuse, wasn't it?  :palm:
Will report to the group after drug arrival.

Did you have bought the Agilent one from Wetzlar in the ebay Kleinanzeigen?

:)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89087 on: April 24, 2021, 02:03:45 pm »
There is a Fluke 750A reference divider available in the USA (untested, for parts only):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254953661480

I also spotted it this morning. But since it's one of the early model (serial # 250 ?) and there's trace of leakage in the battery compartment, I decided to pass.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89088 on: April 24, 2021, 02:39:30 pm »
Perhaps an update/tip for UK resisdents buying on eBay.

eBay has taken it up on themselves (probably because they have to...) to charge UK VAT. The problem is that is you don't go through their global shipping program (which I think is only available inside the US and UK itself) there's not really a way to ensure UK customs is aware and doesn't charge VAT a second time. I experimented a bit with it and fixed the eBay invoice to the box, together with my own, highlighted the UK VAT and put in large letters on the box (arrow poining and all) "UK VAT already charged by eBay. Had two shipments like this, both arrived withour additional charges. Might be handy to tell a seller in the future, even though YMMV.

That said, it's still a huge pain for me: say, I sell something to Israel:

500€ (eBay list price)
This includes 21% VAT (87€)
35€ shipping cost

Now obviously, shipping to Israel is a lot more expensive than to the EU. However, I get 21% VAT while I don't have to pay it to the taxman because I'm exporting it outside the EU. So, the VAT offsetst the shipping cost.

Not so with the UK

500€ (eBay list price)
eBay does not charge the 21% VAT (so I end up with 413€)
eBay does charge UK VAT directly (directly on the taxmans account I presume)
35€ shipping cost

So, I have to pay considerably more for shipping but I don't have the VAT to offset it. Same for the US, by the way. Not too horrible for UK residents, expensive for me...

In most countries doing that would be considered tax fraud. You should reduce the price or refund non EU sales (except UK) by the amount of your local tax and charge the correct shipping.

Yup. Even Amazon does this; I got refunded $7 last week for the difference in the Duty/HGST on my wife's new smartPwn. Took almost a month for 'em to get around to it, but they did make the refund.

Never mind; I misunderstood. If you're advertising it as a single all-inclusive surcharge to cover excess shipping/duty/VAT, then quite right. Carry on. I will admit I was quite surprised to get the refund from Amazon.  ???

mnem
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 03:08:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89089 on: April 24, 2021, 02:47:01 pm »
Steak Tartare presumably?
Of course!    Please bear in mind I am the person who, whilst my wife was having a pretty rough emergency c-section of the "blood everywhere sort" and the doctors were edging around me waiting for me to fall of my chair, said "I quite fancy a cornish pasty at the moment". :)

PROBABLY NSFW...

Here's your dessert. 

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, duckduck

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89090 on: April 24, 2021, 02:48:19 pm »
I’ve dined on worse  8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89091 on: April 24, 2021, 02:57:59 pm »

This HAM plans to excise it in exchange for N jacks on everything he can. Shit plug, shit performance. My OK list holds TNC, BNC, N, SMA, and C. Not 7/16 yet because I haven't played with them. And a tentative "maybe" for DIN 1.0/2.3, because it is on some things I have to work with.
[/quote]

Most of my 3/16 is from the "Silberschrott" era.
Some of the BNC & N- male & female adapters I made myself, from residual sub-parts.
This was necessary because the bi-directional couplers I am using were with 3/16 connectors (Siemens & Spinner).

To date my couplers and attenuators are Narda, Diconex (20 - 60W) & HP.
Needless to say none of these has PL plug/jacks or alike.

Frans
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 03:05:39 pm by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89092 on: April 24, 2021, 03:03:26 pm »
Rumour has it that ARRL lifetime members have like to have their nipples surgically replaced with PL259s.

There, FTFY...  >:D

Brain bleach required.

Ehhhh.... you've got a lot of Karma to burn off yet, after some of the stuff you've inflicted upon this wholesome, innocent, family-friendly thread...  ;)

No. >:D

mnem
yeah, I know... I can't believe I said that with a straight face either... :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89093 on: April 24, 2021, 03:15:04 pm »
Most of my 3/16 is from the "Silberschrott" era. Some of the BNC & N- male & female adapters I made myself, from residual sub-parts. This was necessary because the bi-directional couplers I am using were with 3/16 connectors (Siemens & Spinner).

To date my couplers and attenuators are Narda, Diconex (20 - 60W) & HP. Needless to say none of these has PL plug/jacks or alike.   Frans

Yeah, this is why I prefer to stay below what you RF nerds jokingly say is "essentially DC".   ;)

mnem
Except for my Personal Confuser;  that has to have lots of giggle-hurrtz... :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89094 on: April 24, 2021, 03:24:43 pm »
That brings back bad memories of which I related in my little story a few pages back.  :-\

In all honesty... I'd prolly gamble 40 bucks on that, just to see what I find when I open it up.  :-DD

mnem
 :-DMM

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #89095 on: April 24, 2021, 03:28:22 pm »

In all honesty... I'd prolly gamble 40 bucks on that, just to see what I find when I open it up.  :-DD

mnem

A note with "SUCKER!!!" on it?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89096 on: April 24, 2021, 03:31:41 pm »

mnem

I wouldn't bet YOUR $40 on it. It looks like it's been dipped in cow shit.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89097 on: April 24, 2021, 03:33:19 pm »
Here it’s all ex CB trolls, gremlins and muggles

Edit: got to say that the foundation test here was great. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could ace it in 5 minutes. That was shockingly good at filtering out undesirable folk at the same time. I was surprised as most of the questions were like: if you find a ham lying on the ground do you (a) poke him with a stick (b) turn off the power and call an ambulance (c) get a shovel and dig a shallow grave in the garden and eBay all his kit.

A followed by C, obviously. Preferably with a CAT III rated DMM's probe on the end of the stick. You have no idea if he's still carrying a dangerous charge.  :-DD

mnem

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89098 on: April 24, 2021, 03:43:03 pm »

"May smell a little of rotting corpse of dead ham left in shallow grave."

Now, if that was an old 25 or 27 I'd jump at it. With one of those if you pressure washed the gunk off and stuck new batteries in it'd probably work and be in cal.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89099 on: April 24, 2021, 03:47:23 pm »
Hey... dinner and a show... :-DD

mnem

A note with "SUCKER!!!" on it?

Ooooh... the "personal touch". I like that. :-DD

I wouldn't bet YOUR $40 on it. It looks like it's been dipped in cow shit. :o

I grew up on a farm; I've been dipped in cow shit. More than once.  :o

Thinking aboot it, I'd be a lot more worried aboot the organic matter being a vector for COVID than it being cowshit. Once it's been a occupational hazard, cowshit kindof loses its terror quotient.  :-//

Besides... I've wasted more than $40 on crappy beer with so-called friends and had nothing to show for it except vomit on the car seats. At least I'd get the thrill of some forensic science with this one. :-DD

mnem
"No wonder Frannie threw up... Choky Joe's Chili and Hawaiian pizza...? ewwwww...."

« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:25:34 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf