Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14983972 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #89150 on: April 25, 2021, 11:42:01 am »
What's that red glow in the sky?  :-//

Must be missiles flying back and forth between UK and OZ.  :P :-DD 

No missiles here just I am over misguided missives going back to the original 'NORMAL' solution for Mnnmenth's regripping Al suggested.

As I spent most of my work life around Pumping Water some of it to well over 10k PSI I am aware of the risks but while that discussion is away from Al's response was not what the last two missives were about. Skin removal, Degloving, associated Hydraulic injuries are a thing with Steam, Water and high pressure Gas. That discussion is fine and I have just not got involved in it as it is off topic.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #89151 on: April 25, 2021, 11:45:27 am »
on other more TEA-related notes:

The Defpom about the Siglent oscilloscope SDS1104X-E:

Guilty as charged.  :)

Need to push him more to show lots of other little tips.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #89152 on: April 25, 2021, 11:47:10 am »
I knew it!  :-DD  :-DD  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #89153 on: April 25, 2021, 12:44:27 pm »
Ah, things to do at work while you're sitting around waiting...

Bagged myself an HP 8570A spec an, mostly appears intact.
Listed as not powering on, and a glance at the label on the top left tells the likely reason. I bet some muppet shoved 240V up its clacker and blew the input fuse.

At least one rotary knackered though...

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #89154 on: April 25, 2021, 01:08:27 pm »

Listed as not powering on, and a glance at the label on the top left tells the likely reason. I bet some muppet shoved 240V up its clacker and blew the input fuse.

At least one rotary knackered though...

I can probably print a replacement. Until I get it powered on it's a moot point in any case.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89155 on: April 25, 2021, 01:51:10 pm »

Are you going to replace the input with a PL259  >:D

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89156 on: April 25, 2021, 02:18:34 pm »
Seriously stop spouting 'maybes' as 'reasons. Life has risks so on this application get over the  :bullshit:

Q1: is it a risk to yourself (->I don't care) or a risk to others (->I do care)?

Q2: is the benefit worth the possible penalty?

Q3: is there another way of avoiding the penalty?

The answer to the first question is the most important, since it trumps Q2 and Q3.

And spouting more  :bullshit: when it is NORMAL industry practice to use this method? Irrational spouting of ambit non specified risks without 'evidence' is just crap.

Hopefully people in industry have been trained what to do and possible hazards. I most countries there is a legal requirement to wear eye protection when carring out this kind of "normal industry practice". This risks may not be obvious to eveyone who might read this forum.

Safety is all about maybes. It's part of of my day job to think of the maybes and ensure they are mitigated against as far as reasonably practical.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #89157 on: April 25, 2021, 02:32:22 pm »
Seriously stop spouting 'maybes' as 'reasons. Life has risks so on this application get over the  :bullshit:

Q1: is it a risk to yourself (->I don't care) or a risk to others (->I do care)?

The answer to the first question is the most important, since it trumps Q2 and Q3.

And spouting more  :bullshit: when it is NORMAL industry practice to use this method? Irrational spouting of ambit non specified risks without 'evidence' is just crap.

Hopefully people in industry have been trained what to do and possible hazards. I most countries there is a legal requirement to wear eye protection when carring out this kind of "normal industry practice". This risks may not be obvious to eveyone who might read this forum.

Safety is all about maybes. It's part of of my day job to think of the maybes and ensure they are mitigated against as far as reasonably practical.

As you are clearly out of your area of work you are WRONG and yet again OVERSTATING the risks of this. Go tall your local Bike shop owner this to their face and see yourself get 'told'.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #89158 on: April 25, 2021, 02:46:02 pm »
As you are clearly out of your area of work you are WRONG and yet again OVERSTATING the risks of this. Go tall your local Bike shop owner this to their face and see yourself get 'told'.

Misdirected pressure is misdirected pressure in any field. With aviation comes a better safe than sorry mindset that us gung-ho types should learn from. This is not about ticking boxes and following procedure first (even though there is procedure, for good reasons), it is about talking about what is wrong even when there's some cringe associated. Because if you do not, there's going to be more stupidity like the recent "smrt wings" incident or another of the Korean "The captain can not be wrong" style clusterfucks.

In summary, think first, then do something risky. Carefully. And I'm never going to knowingly talk down someone who has a concern. If you catch me doing it, chew me out.

Out.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89159 on: April 25, 2021, 03:12:45 pm »
Vince will be back but for now he's having too much fun in his own newly found rabbit hole.......fixing CD players !
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/vintage-cd-player-repair-philips-cd-371-aka-radiola-cd-1371/

He's getting some great knowledge passed on from Gyro and shakalnokturn whom are apparently quite experienced in venturing into that abyss.  :scared:

I am back ! Spent 3 days catching up from page 3517 where I left 2 weeks ago  :scared: . Yep, was busy playing with vintage CD players and I don't give a toss what Mnem thinks of CDs.
I am done with CD players for now, I learned enough. I will try to sell those that can be sold, to recoup some of my money, and keep those I like for one reason or another. Those that are neither interesting nor economically fixable, will just salvage the electronics from, and ditch the cabinet.. to make some room.

REALLY need to hurry up and move my butt to work on the house ! Getting bored of sleeping in the living room, brushing my teeth and shaving in the kitchen, and living in a cluster fuck of a living room that's filled with CD players and tools and tube Tek scopes. Been this way for the past 15 months. Need to build the garage to store all that stuff away, and it's already late April so no more time to waste, time to rent an excavator, poor a few m3 worth of concrete, and pile up some concrete blocks !

So need to spend more time working on the house&garage and less time playing in the lab.

That means also taking a step back from TEA. So much traffic coupled with an astonishingly low SNR makes it hard to justify the time spent reading it. It's more of a random / general chat room than a TEA thread  :(
If the random irrelevant chat could be taken to a new " TEA - random chat " sister thread to clean up massively the original TEA thread, that would be lovely... but this is not how TEA works it seems so I guess all that means is that I am not fit for TEA.
A TE addict I am, but looks like it takes more than that to survive on this thread...

Would probably still lurk in the background every now and then to keep an eye, or for the rare occasion where I might have a little something to contribute... but as for keeping up with daily traffic and trying not to miss any post or reply... it just does not seem feasible. Time is precious and not much of it. Maybe if I were unemployed or retired, but I am neither, and a house/garage to build to boot soooo...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 03:57:05 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89160 on: April 25, 2021, 03:43:23 pm »

Oi... all this terror for the sake of a couple of handlebar-condoms.  :palm:   Ifni help us if there was something important to blow up with compressed air...  :-DD

mnem
Dumber than advertised...
Well I suffered a traumatic amputation in a pneumatic powered accident (classic trifecta, dormant fault in equipment, not following instructions (someone else) and being tired and distracted (me)) so maybe I'm biased. Even a bike hand grip could blind someone apart from injection injuries.

Oh, sweet cheese and crackers.  :palm:

Okay... I've taken my turn being the safety-nazi-dwagon too... I get it... but hooo-doggy, we sure did dog-pile on what was literally the merest mention of doing something moderately dangerous.

My point, which went completely unnoticed (or more likely, was just ignored), was to offer something truly dangerous that I saw on yoobToob a while back as a diversion, so that if we wanted to talk aboot potential horror stories, here's a great candidate: This guy glued cut soda bottles together, capped it with a 3D printed cap/motor, then pumped it all up with compressed air. Now if that doesn't scream "Which of the many failure modes in this example gets the Darwin award...?!?" nothing does.  ;)

BTW, in case it wasn't clear... my "Dumber than advertised..." comment was directed at the video, nothing else.  ::)

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89161 on: April 25, 2021, 03:56:37 pm »
   https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/schaffner-netzentstoerfilter-fn9233s-3-06-85-stueck-neu-emc-emi/1744259587-168-8255

In the (unlikely) event that someone is interested >:D >:D >:D :
I go through a lot of them. If they are, in fact, new and fairly recent that is a killer deal. Would even consider to buy it but the ones I mostly encounter are a different series (ie with a voltage selector).

If not for the horrific shipping and duty, I'd totes buy that right now just on the off-chance I'd use more than 2 or 3 of 'em in the next 5 years; just getting one of 'em to me runs in the neighborhood of $22. :-//

And of course, this is the sort of thing that once you have them on hand, you immediately find all sorts of places to use them. >:D

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #89162 on: April 25, 2021, 04:05:01 pm »

Given some of the things written on this forum, I'm certain that risks wouldn't be obvious.

One of the things about professional engineers is that they consider not only how something works, but also how something fails.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89163 on: April 25, 2021, 04:08:25 pm »
What's that red glow in the sky?  :-//

Must be missiles flying back and forth between UK and OZ.  :P :-DD 

No missiles here just I am over misguided missives going back to the original 'NORMAL' solution for Mnnmenth's regripping Al suggested.

As I spent most of my work life around Pumping Water some of it to well over 10k PSI I am aware of the risks but while that discussion is away from Al's response was not what the last two missives were about. Skin removal, Degloving, associated Hydraulic injuries are a thing with Steam, Water and high pressure Gas. That discussion is fine and I have just not got involved in it as it is off topic.

Keep my name the fuck out of this; shit splatters and there's been enough flying here to drown us all.  :-DD

I did it the hard way, because I was working in the living room with the fam right next to me. I even detailed how I did it the hard way and why. It's done; I groused aboot it, the bike is in the barn now.   ;D

No... seriously... thanks for backing me up bean, but at this point it's all just turning into personality clash, which does nothing but divide the brotherhood. We're better than that. ;)

mnem

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #89164 on: April 25, 2021, 04:22:35 pm »
Tried to murder a UNI-T UTG362E ... it survived .. and it has some extra holes here and there  :-DD

if you want external ref... go for Feeltech.. they use 10 MHz... and easy to mod..
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, BILLPOD

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #89165 on: April 25, 2021, 05:14:13 pm »

Are you going to replace the input with a PL259  >:D

That's an excellent idea, I even have one somewhere I think. Failing that I could always use an RCA phono socket, or perhaps a 1/8" jack, stereo ofc.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89166 on: April 25, 2021, 05:32:33 pm »
RCA jacks are surprisingly good up to VHF.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #89167 on: April 25, 2021, 05:41:14 pm »
RCA jacks are surprisingly good up to VHF.

Oh, do tell. My gift-from-estate-of-SK HF xcvr has a RCA jack insert loop on the RX antenna path.  :palm: :palm: :palm: And it had been stood on those jacks, and they had broken off the PCB. Unsurprisingly it was very deaf until I'd fixed that.

TE hoarding update #1: Fluke 51 k/j thermometer, sans probe. 11€ plus shipping.

TE hoarding update #2: Tried to save a very clean-looking 545B from the tube vultures. Had a sniping bid prepared, but was oversniped to the tune of 5x my bid.  |O  Some toob parter is having a field day.  :(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, TSCOLAN

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89169 on: April 25, 2021, 05:48:47 pm »
I did not provide the inital comment on safety when using compressed air, just added to it. It is pretty crass to complain about ANY safety advice given in good faith. Unless of couse if that advice is incorrect and could lead to a greater hazard.
I'm done with this topic.  :horse:

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #89170 on: April 25, 2021, 06:21:43 pm »
Watch out, these seem to be old (no CE sign) and probably have the lovely RIFA timebombs inside ...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89171 on: April 25, 2021, 06:25:03 pm »
You can also overplay the risks to the point of Hysteria. To advise against doing this task initially under discussion on the basis of 'extreme' risk is completely OTT.

Oh look - a straw man! Nobody did advise against doing it. The most strongly worded advice was mine "DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT CAREFULLY THINKING OUT THE PROCEDURE FIRST." which is not saying "don't do it", but is saying "Think first!".

This is a classic example of something that people do day in day out with very rare negative consequences. The risks with typical shop air (at no more than what, 10 bar) are not too great. The number of times someone fucks it up are small. The number of times someone fucks it up and manages to inject enough air to be non-trivially harmful are small. However, there is a finite risk that air injection results in death. So we have exactly the right combination of factors for disaster: a procedure that happens a lot with no consequences - so much so in fact that words to the effect that "lots of people do it every day and nothing bad happens" becomes a substitute argument for it being safe, coupled with the possibility of serious consequences, maiming or death, when it does go badly wrong.

It's that old truism "Familiarity breeds contempt". Lots of people cross roads every day and don't die. However people do die crossing roads.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, mansaxel, cyclin_al, mindcrime

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89172 on: April 25, 2021, 06:48:50 pm »
Watch out, these seem to be old (no CE sign) and probably have the lovely RIFA timebombs inside ...

They should not have a CE mark. Components are generally not CE marked because they are not a final product. The main exception are safety components like door interlocks and intrinsically safe parts.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 06:51:32 pm by Robert763 »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #89173 on: April 25, 2021, 07:07:17 pm »

I am back ! Spent 3 days catching up from page 3517 where I left 2 weeks ago  :scared: . Yep, was busy playing with vintage CD players and I don't give a toss what Mnem thinks of CDs.
I am done with CD players for now, I learned enough. I will try to sell those that can be sold, to recoup some of my money, and keep those I like for one reason or another. Those that are neither interesting nor economically fixable, will just salvage the electronics from, and ditch the cabinet.. to make some room.

Vince,

I am looking for a couple of Sony Lasers as spares. Also for CDP557 ESD and Nakamichi players.

If you happen to have them:
before you rip them apart make sure that you short circuit the laser diode before disconnecting the laser.
If you have working Sony KSS-123a please let me know.

KR
Saskia

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #89174 on: April 25, 2021, 07:19:16 pm »

Would probably still lurk in the background every now and then to keep an eye, or for the rare occasion where I might have a little something to contribute... but as for keeping up with daily traffic and trying not to miss any post or reply... it just does not seem feasible. Time is precious and not much of it. Maybe if I were unemployed or retired, but I am neither, and a house/garage to build to boot soooo...

Keep in touch Vince.  :'(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf