Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14879233 times)

K0ELB, tatel, wkb and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90150 on: May 06, 2021, 11:18:09 am »
After a good clean, i realized its all complete and original.

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #90151 on: May 06, 2021, 11:24:36 am »
did not win much at the Lagerwerk auction, partially due to their auction website being offline for maintenance in the hours before the auction end.

So I got a Proxxon uLathe for 52€, an anemometer  for 58, plus some stuff for a forum colleague for ~ 150.

The 34401 went ott. No intention of paying an arm and 3 legs for one.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90152 on: May 06, 2021, 11:43:46 am »
The cost of these 34401 these days is OTT, I think this hobby is beginning to suck.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90153 on: May 06, 2021, 01:14:19 pm »
Urf had my covid jab yesterday finally after four weeks of finding a slot that worked. Feel like I’ve been run over by a bus this morning. Anyone else get that? Was AstraZeneca one.

I'm scheduled for next week.

Some peoples in my family had flu like symptoms after the jab. But was not AstraZeneca though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:16:23 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90154 on: May 06, 2021, 01:23:48 pm »
The cost of these 34401 these days is OTT, I think this hobby is beginning to suck.

I think I would go with a brand new Keithley DMM6500 instead. They are a bit more expensive but brand new and a lot more modern.

Edit: Hmmm I should probably sell my 34401a and buy a DMM6500.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:30:02 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90155 on: May 06, 2021, 01:34:16 pm »
Urf had my covid jab yesterday finally after four weeks of finding a slot that worked. Feel like I’ve been run over by a bus this morning. Anyone else get that? Was AstraZeneca one.

I was 100% fine on the day I got my first inoculation at circa 4pm right up until the moment I got into bed that night, whereupon I was hit with fever and chills of the first order. By the morning they had gone but for three days I had that "getting over a bout of flu" feeling and was pretty much no use for anything. Day four I felt fine and back to normal. SWMBO got by with just a very sore arm and feeling a bit off for a couple of days.

That my immune system fired off such a robust response leads me to suspect prior exposure and existing antibodies. SWMBO and I both had a bout of rough flu like symptoms a couple of months before Covid-19 originally hit the news and I have had a suspicion that we might have been very early cases and were both tough enough that it didn't amount to more than the inconvenience of a typical viral illness. I have an overactive immune system (hence allergies and an IgE titre 20 times normal when it was last tested) and that might explain why my body overreacted but SWMBO's didn't.

The alternative explanation is down to the nature of the Oxford-AstraZenica vaccine. It uses a genetically modified chimpanzee adenovirus (ChAdOx1) to carry the relevant Covid surface protein genes. This virus is replication deficient and incapable of causing disease in humans, but perhaps my mother was right and I'm a "little monkey" and not human at all.  If that's right I'm afraid BD old chap that you too are "more simian than man".  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90156 on: May 06, 2021, 01:38:16 pm »

This one about what I paid for mine a few years ago eBay auction: #174753254465 but generally the prices seem to have gone up $50-100 at a guess.

EDIT October 2017 was close to but not the lowest price on offer at the time.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:01:12 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, wolfy007

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90157 on: May 06, 2021, 01:39:34 pm »
If that's right I'm afraid BD old chap that you too are "more simian than man".  :)

Ook ook it is then  :-DD

On a positive note I managed to sit in bed and do some work on the tea archive script. Decided to scrap selenium as it's too slow and finicky so back to requests / Beautifulsoup. Have got it extracting raw posts already and injecting into SQLite as well as member data. On a positive note it should hammer through the whole job in a few minutes and is extensible as in it does upserts to the DB so subsequent runs will just update the database. Somewhat less prone to failure than the old version I wrote.

Also possibility of providing post stats across the entire thread with this  :popcorn:

Screenshot to prove it's not entirely vapourware :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:41:11 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90158 on: May 06, 2021, 01:40:26 pm »

The good bit is under the knobs so show  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90159 on: May 06, 2021, 02:00:42 pm »
If that's right I'm afraid BD old chap that you too are "more simian than man".  :)

Banana!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90160 on: May 06, 2021, 02:23:38 pm »
Appropos of nothing, here is an attempt at attaching a photo:-

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

If it works, it will be a three year old pix of my 7613 showing the modulation & RF output waveforms of my Leader LSG 11.

Whoopee!, it works!
Now I have a reason to clean up my "super grot" lab, so any further pix don't show how evil it looks!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:26:25 pm by vk6zgo »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #90161 on: May 06, 2021, 02:27:23 pm »

On a positive note I managed to sit in bed and do some work on the tea archive script. Decided to scrap selenium as it's too slow and finicky so back to requests / Beautifulsoup. Have got it extracting raw posts already and injecting into SQLite as well as member data. On a positive note it should hammer through the whole job in a few minutes and is extensible as in it does upserts to the DB so subsequent runs will just update the database. Somewhat less prone to failure than the old version I wrote.

Also possibility of providing post stats across the entire thread with this  :popcorn:

Screenshot to prove it's not entirely vapourware :)

All I heard was  :blah: "I'm getting my morning dose of     ..."   :blah:

mnem
But it is for a good cause... :-DD
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:30:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90162 on: May 06, 2021, 03:50:10 pm »
From the ELECTRO-HORROR PICTURE SHOW Dept...

So, this morning I dug a dual 18650 charger that came with a cheap flashlight out of the project drawer; plan was to gut it and make a jig for my big LiPo charger for IR testing of all the cells I've been busting out of these reclaimed laptop packs. Things started out a bit funny, what with the Chinglish and all...

*snerk* I swear, that is not PhotoShopped...

Okay... cheapest possible single-layer phenolic PCB, hair-thin unrated vinyl-clad wires and pre-rusted contacts on the mains voltage: Definitely not that funny.   :o

But here's the real Horror Show. Yup: Those parallel contacts are stamped out of the same bit of steel.

I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, except this charger isn't for your run-of the mill AA batteries; it's for 18650 Li-Ion cells which can deliver a lot of current, especially the low IR ones usually used for high-wattage LED flashlights which use a boost regulator.

When someone accidentally puts one of 2 cells in backwards... or even if they accidentally put a fully-charged one in with a dead one correctly... the current flow will be quite enough to make those little springs into cherry-red heating elements and release all those angry pixies at once. Made of cheapest-possible probably recycled ABS plastic shell, this thing is a fire just looking for a chance to happen.  :scared:

Well, now we know why FPRBID TO INVERT... if only HONG DONG had bothered to check with somebody who actually speaks the language where they're exporting this garbage to.  ???

But wait, it gets better... that charging IC is a 300mA/MAX 400mA part, on a 650mA-rated charger... and sorry bd, that's a MJE13003, so no prize for you, either.   :-DD

This "charger" set off alarm bells the moment I took it out of the box; I just threw in in the back of a drawer as I have numerous well-rated name-brand standalone chargers on hand. Jeebus, I am glad I never did plug this thing in, even to see if it lit up... :palm:

mnem
HOTCHIP: For when it absolutely, positively has to be MADE OF FIRE ...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 04:41:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #90163 on: May 06, 2021, 04:10:12 pm »

The good bit is under the knobs so show  >:D

Yes sir.!  :)
it indeed is a peace of art inside... you would allmost keep it open, just to be able to look at it all day

Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, med6753, 1Ghz, mnementh, Barbouri, Specmaster, beanflying, factory, Kosmic, BILLPOD

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #90164 on: May 06, 2021, 05:04:29 pm »

So, this morning I dug a dual 18650 charger that came with a cheap flashlight out of the project drawer; plan was to gut it and make a jig for my big LiPo charger for IR testing of all the cells I've been busting out of these reclaimed laptop packs. Things started out a bit funny, what with the Chinglish and all...

Okay... cheapest possible single-layer phenolic PCB, hair-thin unrated vinyl-clad wires and pre-rusted contacts on the mains voltage: Definitely not that funny.   :o

But here's the real Horror Show. Yup: Those parallel contacts are stamped out of the same bit of steel.

I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, except this charger isn't for your run-of the mill AA batteries; it's for 18650 Li-Ion cells which can deliver a lot of current, especially the low IR ones usually used for high-wattage LED flashlights which use a boost regulator.

When someone accidentally puts one of 2 cells in backwards... or even if they accidentally put a fully-charged one in with a dead one correctly... the current flow will be quite enough to make those little springs into cherry-red heating elements and release all those angry pixies at once. Made of cheapest-possible probably recycled ABS plastic shell, this thing is a fire just looking for a chance to happen.  :scared:

Well, now we know why FPRBID TO INVERT... if only HONG DONG had bothered to check with somebody who actually speaks the language where they're exporting this garbage to.  ???

But wait, it gets better... that charging IC is a 300mA/MAX 400mA part, on a 650mA-rated charger... and sorry bd, that's a MJE13003, so no prize for you, either.   :-DD

This "charger" set off alarm bells the moment I took it out of the box; I just threw in in the back of a drawer as I have numerous well-rated name-brand standalone chargers on hand. Jeebus, I am glad I never did plug this thing in, even to see if it lit up... :palm:

mnem

it clearly says FORBID to INVERT  :-DD :-DD :-DD
that should do it ^-^

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, URI

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #90165 on: May 06, 2021, 05:07:52 pm »
with those typos, maybe they ment FORBID to INSERT, thats more like it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90166 on: May 06, 2021, 05:50:18 pm »

mnem

That charger is absolute dog shit. Throw it away quick. That board is absolutely the worst. Not even heard of creepage where they designed it  :palm:.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #90167 on: May 06, 2021, 06:44:57 pm »
may I offer the preferred disposal alternative of 50 grams of ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90168 on: May 06, 2021, 06:50:04 pm »

...This "charger" set off alarm bells the moment I took it out of the box; I just threw in in the back of a drawer as I have numerous well-rated name-brand standalone chargers on hand. Jeebus, I am glad I never did plug this thing in, even to see if it lit up... :palm:

mnem

That charger is absolute dog shit. Throw it away quick. That board is absolutely the worst. Not even heard of creepage where they designed it  :palm:.
may I offer the preferred disposal alternative of 50 grams of ...

:-DD LOLOL!!!

Already gutted with extreme prejudice and hacked into a cell holder/test jig; just waiting on epoxy potting to cure before final assembly and putting ends on the wires.   >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 06:54:10 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90169 on: May 06, 2021, 07:18:02 pm »
Started on the Type 547 repair/re-cap. Concentrating on fixing up and replacing burnt components in the +100VDC supply. Once that's done then do a test power up and hopefully have good PSU voltages.

See schematic. First order of biz was to replace C709C (20uf/250V) but that's a 3 section cap. So did all three sections. The can is physically located in sweep area hanging upside down. Used that blank area to tightly squeeze in a terminal strip with all 3 new caps and left the original can disconnected in place. Took about 2 hours of intense work but it's done. Resistance checks to make sure no shorts.

Next item is to flip the scope on it's side (Ugh!) and replace the burnt resistors. Once that's done do a power up and see what we got. I have not found a root cause for those resistors to burn up. All resistance checks match the manual. So I'm a little nervous that their might be magic smoke. More later.   

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, artag, BU508A, 1Ghz, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, BILLPOD, tonyalbus

Online artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90170 on: May 06, 2021, 07:34:53 pm »
Wow, the work involved in building that ...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90171 on: May 06, 2021, 07:38:15 pm »
it clearly says FORBID to INVERT  :-DD :-DD :-DD
that should do it ^-^

It's OK, I don't think there's too much risk of Mnem doing handstands any time soon.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Online artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90172 on: May 06, 2021, 07:42:24 pm »
It's an electrophoresis supply, but that's not important right now. As far as I'm concerned it's a 400V 100mA supply that will run in constant-current or constant-voltage. I bought it because of a previous purchase, a Racal timer/counter with Nixies. One of the Nixies was a bit flickery, so I bought this to treat it for poisoned cathode syndrome. And so it goes on  ..

It was supposed to be faulty, with burnt output transistors. But I've yet to find any problem except a missing button, broken plastics and a sticky meter. It may have been just disabled by the timer.

Anybody seen these buttons ? They're a very standard stalk, but the button itself is oversize and has 3 possible locations for the stalk. As Mnementh says, I should print one but I don't think I'll have enough resolution for the stalk socket. What I want is a 3D printer that prints things that are pretty small, but have _insanely_ high resolution. A small resin printer might have the LCD resolution but I don't think the resin itself has enough definition.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:49:00 pm by artag »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90173 on: May 06, 2021, 07:46:16 pm »
Looks to me like a job for 3DP.

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90174 on: May 06, 2021, 07:55:21 pm »
Oh and, not to rub salt into a wound...well....maybe just a little. When I bought this variable temp soldering iron it was loudly criticized as the worst POS on the face of the earth and I would be sorry purchasing it. Well since my Hakko won't reach to bench 2 and I don't feel like moving it this alleged POS has been doing all the soldering duty on the Type 547. Including soldering on those super sensitive and fragile Tek terminal strips. It has performed perfectly and in fact does a better job on the terminal strips than the Hakko. And truth be told it did ALL the work on the Type 535A restoration last year. It has seen many hours with no issues.

So you can't always pass judgment on something just by it's looks/price. But way I see it even if it burns out tomorrow I got more than my money's worth out of it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one as a backup to the Hakko.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf