Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562499 times)

Vince, Mortymore and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline hyl

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90250 on: May 08, 2021, 01:45:37 am »
Tektronix 495p fix and alignment

https://sites.google.com/site/linuxdigitallab/home/tektronix-495p-fix-and-alignment

I try attaching img... failed.  But I'm one of you long time ago...  |O |O |O |O |O
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 01:55:19 am by hyl »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #90251 on: May 08, 2021, 01:49:12 am »

I try attaching img... failed.  But I'm one of you long time ago...  |O |O |O |O |O

Very nice write-up and documentation.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90252 on: May 08, 2021, 02:55:27 am »
The HP 8570A arrived on Tuesday, naked and in the rain as the Palletways guy had cut it off the pallet in order to get it to my door. Oh well... time to sit it by the fire for a day or so.

Finding a space for the thing, even on a temporary basis, is a problem, as it's absolutely huge (full rack, 4U, 600mm deep, and 20-25kg).

As I suspected, the fuse looked like this:

Now I just need to learn how to use it, so I can test if it works as it should. I did notice the CRT was a little unstable on initial power up, so there's likely some connection/condensation/crapacitor issues to look at.

The bottom left corner of the screen is slightly darkened, but not to the point it's a problem. I think it'll clean up nicely!

congradulations!  a fine piece of gear.

but study this picture......because when you open the case some of these will fall out......and you will need to collect them to epoxy back on the rotary discs.  and you will be hating life when you reassemble the fecking things.  but you will be loving life after.
About that pic.....lots lots more of that stuff was here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-8569-spectrum-analyzer-repairs/
However as a result of externally hosted pics it's the best reason to host pics here even if it is a bit more trouble.
Sue AF6LJ hasn't been active since last Nov and requests for images in that thread to be fixed are now likely not to happen.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, nixiefreqq, AVGresponding

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #90253 on: May 08, 2021, 03:20:16 am »
LOL I should have taken a screen shot, but I got an "error giving thanks" on that last post by bitseeker. Never seen that error before.  :wtf:

Tried a second time and it worked.

I usually see it on mobile browser, but I don't think I ever have on desktop. :-//
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #90254 on: May 08, 2021, 03:21:44 am »

https://sites.google.com/site/linuxdigitallab/home/tektronix-495p-fix-and-alignment

Welcome to the thread and nicely done. I always found the knob placement on the 495p interestingly asymmetric.

And added to POI.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 03:25:07 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #90255 on: May 08, 2021, 04:55:45 am »
I'm not even going to attempt to catch up on this thread, but thought I'd drop in to say howdy. I've had a few things follow me home recently. A friend of mine gave me a Type 454 that he had lent to another friend and it blew up on him. That repair is still in progress. The +75 volt regulator failed short and let the +150 unreg onto the +75V rail and killed a bunch of transistors, mostly in the vertical output amp, but also a few in the preamps. Also of note, this failure caused the HV to totally wig out and arc violently inside the HV cage, around the output to the anode. Replacing the failed regulator fixed that fortunately and nothing was damaged in the HV.

I also recently had a NICE Type 547, cart, many plug ins, and manual follow me home from an estate sale. Just did a little touch up adjustments to the time bases and the sweep mag registration, and she's been put to work in the lab!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #90256 on: May 08, 2021, 05:20:10 am »

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/golden_hammer.png

This one's for bd...  >:D

mnem
Hey... Don't Bogart that Tito's...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #90257 on: May 08, 2021, 06:02:06 am »
Dietary cooking time.
Bean Stew.

hacked tomatos, 1 pound minced meat, 3 peppers, mushrooms,onions, beans, hand full black pepper, hand full hot paprika spice, Oregano, basil, bit of salt, 1 Habanero,1 Carolina Reaper.

Fire in the hole!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline rejectmonke

« Reply #90258 on: May 08, 2021, 06:45:06 am »
research has always led me in a circle back to the pricey "in principle not relative" mso5074   |O

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90259 on: May 08, 2021, 08:10:31 am »
I'm not even going to attempt to catch up on this thread, but thought I'd drop in to say howdy. I've had a few things follow me home recently. A friend of mine gave me a Type 454 that he had lent to another friend and it blew up on him. That repair is still in progress. The +75 volt regulator failed short and let the +150 unreg onto the +75V rail and killed a bunch of transistors, mostly in the vertical output amp, but also a few in the preamps. Also of note, this failure caused the HV to totally wig out and arc violently inside the HV cage, around the output to the anode. Replacing the failed regulator fixed that fortunately and nothing was damaged in the HV.

I also recently had a NICE Type 547, cart, many plug ins, and manual follow me home from an estate sale. Just did a little touch up adjustments to the time bases and the sweep mag registration, and she's been put to work in the lab!

Welcome back and that 547 looks real good. I'm jealous. I'm still fighting with mine. PSU issues.  :phew:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90260 on: May 08, 2021, 08:12:51 am »
Holy crap, the blog is S-L-O-W. Everyone else seeing the same?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90261 on: May 08, 2021, 08:22:06 am »

Yep Server load/database issues. Let's all blame @bd until he replies :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #90262 on: May 08, 2021, 08:28:57 am »

Welcome, and that's good work.

Can I suggest that you create a new topic in the "Repair" subforum, and use that to point to your reference. That will avoid your useful information being lost in the middle of this thread.

Only a few nutters follow this thread, but far more people will be interested in your work!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90263 on: May 08, 2021, 08:29:45 am »

Yep Server load/database issues. Let's all blame @bd until he replies :-DD

Bd must have heard you. It seems to be OK now.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90264 on: May 08, 2021, 08:50:16 am »
Wasn’t me. I was asleep  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #90265 on: May 08, 2021, 08:52:27 am »
LOL I should have taken a screen shot, but I got an "error giving thanks" on that last post by bitseeker. Never seen that error before.  :wtf:

Yes i have that sometimes too, but mostly on my iPad, on pc no problem.
it is a weird message like.. '' error thanking your thank you" or something.'
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #90266 on: May 08, 2021, 09:26:09 am »

The strains of forum software written in PHP all have these reliability issues. A lot of it comes down to PHP being so deceptively easy to parse for people that should not be let near an IDE, that they all of a sudden start writing add-ons. And since these add-ons clearly scratch an itch for a lot of forum users, if not admins, they  get installed. A lot.

Now, testing every possible combination of this maquis of add-ons is nigh impossible, so people are left to their own figuring out what breaks what (in obvious ways and in not so obvious ways, 34221 posts later).

Stack on top of that a few other assumption-breakers, like caching, time-outs, load balancers, and there's a race to the bottom.

BD139 wrote a couple posts back something to the effect of "all forums suck". I agree. They are at best "tantalizing UI enhancements" to communication problems that Usenet manages better.

I really should get my own Usenet server running. I do however think that a 2-way gate between Usenet and Simple Machines in every way would fulfill all elements of suck detailed above.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #90267 on: May 08, 2021, 10:04:09 am »

This is a button on my mobile version, I'll post a screenie later
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90268 on: May 08, 2021, 10:05:00 am »
Notifications via email for PMs is back. Well, at least for me.
A few minutes ago I've found two emails in my inbox from PMs from Tuesday and Wednesday.

Perhaps fixing this issue has caused the slow-down of the forum?  :-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90269 on: May 08, 2021, 10:09:33 am »

Whoah!  :wtf:
This poor scope has some serious battle scars and dents!
One should use these things to watch wiggly lines, not playing "How far can I throw this thing!" or so...

Welcome to the House of TEM¹, take a seat, have some cookies, rabbits will be served every second Sunday or so. :-)

¹Test Equipment Madness
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90270 on: May 08, 2021, 10:21:54 am »
Only a few nutters follow this thread,

I resent resemble that comment!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90271 on: May 08, 2021, 10:24:16 am »

Whoah!  :wtf:
This poor scope has some serious battle scars and dents!
One should use these things to watch wiggly lines, not playing "How far can I throw this thing!" or so...

Welcome to the House of TEM¹, take a seat, have some cookies, rabbits will be served every second Sunday or so. :-)

¹Test Equipment Madness

Note the US Navy asset label... there's your explanation for its battered visage!

Also welcome to the enablement thread, hyl    :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90272 on: May 08, 2021, 10:32:04 am »

The strains of forum software written in PHP all have these reliability issues. A lot of it comes down to PHP being so deceptively easy to parse for people that should not be let near an IDE, that they all of a sudden start writing add-ons. And since these add-ons clearly scratch an itch for a lot of forum users, if not admins, they  get installed. A lot.

Now, testing every possible combination of this maquis of add-ons is nigh impossible, so people are left to their own figuring out what breaks what (in obvious ways and in not so obvious ways, 34221 posts later).

Stack on top of that a few other assumption-breakers, like caching, time-outs, load balancers, and there's a race to the bottom.

BD139 wrote a couple posts back something to the effect of "all forums suck". I agree. They are at best "tantalizing UI enhancements" to communication problems that Usenet manages better.

I really should get my own Usenet server running. I do however think that a 2-way gate between Usenet and Simple Machines in every way would fulfill all elements of suck detailed above.

Usenet was even worse due to the whole eventual consistency thing.

What we need is some community software that isn’t a total sack of dung. Something that has an open API, federated authentication, structured discussions, doesn’t rely on bbcode and is designed with archival first in mind.

Anyway screw all that high tech guff. I’m off up the ridgeway in the pissing rain with a shit shovel, sandwiches,  soup and my trangia  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90273 on: May 08, 2021, 11:03:03 am »
Note the US Navy asset label... there's your explanation for its battered visage!

If massively battered stuff is your prefered challange:
Sometimes there are lots of HP devices on the german bay system posted by Israelian sellers looking like beeing fished from military dumpsters. Including desert dust and bullet holes.   ;D

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90274 on: May 08, 2021, 11:07:17 am »

If massively battered stuff is your prefered challange:
Sometimes there are lots of HP devices on the german bay system posted by Israelian sellers looking like beeing fished from military dumpsters. Including desert dust and bullet holes.   ;D

Yes, those listings make it onto eBay UK also. I haven't had the courage to buy any of them yet!   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf