Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556932 times)

Jambalaya and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90325 on: May 09, 2021, 12:45:40 pm »
Think I need a new hobby, these prices are getting out of control.  :palm:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353484978634

David

"or best offer"

am tempted to throw $5.00 at it.......but am afraid that the bastard might take the 5 bucks just to punish me.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90326 on: May 09, 2021, 12:52:05 pm »

There's another way if you change how you look at the problem from a partitioning perspective. Smaller the partition, the quicker consistency can be resolved as a rule to the point you can have transactional consistency. The trick is to redefine the partition size based on the operation in question and the participants rather than the current lazy arse cheap thinking which is have one partition with all participants in it. This is complicated and specific to every single problem domain and not generic which is why you don't see it.

But that is what Usenet is -- the hard consistency is only enforced in small domains, which produce atoms (RFC 5536 messages), who once committed are possible to refer to from other atoms, and you can create a thread of messages that constitute a discussion. This thread construct is possible to build in an asynchronous way, and it will never be perfect, but it will approach completeness with increasing age of atoms.

Yes, that is the happy puppy view of distributed systems consistency, but there is something to it.

That’s ok until someone doesn’t get an ancestor message. Which is where the consistency guarantee fails.

Im working on something in this space at the moment. Targeted at contract resolution.

[Zips up flak jacket. Puts on helmet with a flourish and an insouciant raise of the eyebrow.]

Have you considered Blockchain?  >:D

[Runs...]

That was actually considered and discarded due to scalability problems  :-DD

Nearest thing to the realty is imagine HP/Tandem nonstop but leveraging cloud availability zones, commodity hardware and normal programming languages instead of the status quo :)

We tried building stuff on SQS and SNS but it’s too fucking slow.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:54:11 pm by bd139 »

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #90327 on: May 09, 2021, 01:59:03 pm »
Tektronix 7A13 Differential Comparator

C615 (electrolytic cap 10 µF, 20%, 25 V) turned from green to charcoal and two electrolytic caps on the top seem to be leaky...

Made in Guernsey, C. I.  ;D

vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90328 on: May 09, 2021, 02:26:09 pm »
It appears we are back...for how long is anyone's guess.  :-DD

Well, let's wait and see.
I noticed a substantially better performance (shorter download time) of the eevblog forum server after this period of unavailability.   :-+
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90329 on: May 09, 2021, 02:31:13 pm »
Apparently the issue this time was a malicious abuse report which got the server null routed.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90330 on: May 09, 2021, 02:40:09 pm »
Still noticeably snappier than yesterday for whatever reason which is a plus. Might also be Gorilla are finally getting more on top of their wet and soggy own goal too before this latest one.  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #90331 on: May 09, 2021, 03:24:24 pm »

Got these Lattice analog FPGA !!!, ispPAC10, what should I do with them if I can program them  :-DD  ?!?!

Cheers,
DC1MC

Man those are ancient. Lattice, to their endless credit, still have downloadable dev software for those things, long after the devices themselves were shitcanned.

https://www.latticesemi.com/Support/MatureAndDiscontinuedDevices/ispPAC You'll need to have a Lattice login, or register for one, to actually download this.

Thank a lot for the link :clap: :-+ ,  like many old or well made windozian software it runs perfectly under Wine (except of course the dirver for the programer, but there the Xilinx JTAG player is a big help).

Also a big Danke for the @ch_scr for the assist.

The ispPAC80/81 were really capable devices, too bad they've canceled them :(-

If anyone in DE needs a couple to play with (looking at you @capt_bulshot as well :), please let me know, you can't bet the price  ;D.

Screenshot related.

Cheers,
DC1MC[/quote]

So not going to be doing any cryptomining with these, then...?  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90332 on: May 09, 2021, 03:41:06 pm »
 ???
It appears we are back...for how long is anyone's guess.  :-DD

Well, let's wait and see.
I noticed a substantially better performance (shorter download time) of the eevblog forum server after this period of unavailability.   :-+
Don't speak too quick, that might be down to the fact that of members are not yet aware that we are back up and running. I thought that the time to load the "quote" was a bit slow when preparing this post... ???
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90333 on: May 09, 2021, 03:43:48 pm »

Happy Mothra's Day everybody!

mnem
*toddles off to abuse Timmy's Donut Brothel for Mommy's Brunch*
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:45:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90334 on: May 09, 2021, 04:09:12 pm »

mnem

Well not everybody. Over here it's in 3 weeks. Why can't they agree on a date worldwide...

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #90335 on: May 09, 2021, 04:29:27 pm »

Yes, that is the happy puppy view of distributed systems consistency, but there is something to it.

That’s ok until someone doesn’t get an ancestor message. Which is where the consistency guarantee fails.

Im working on something in this space at the moment. Targeted at contract resolution.

Given that people who write email  (a message type that has superficial lookalike traits to an
Usenet posting) never ever trim quotes, there is sufficient un-structured ancestry available throughout!   

:-DD :-DD :-DD

Code: [Select]
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90336 on: May 09, 2021, 05:19:34 pm »
More work on the Type 547 +100V PSU issue.

Sent Oculus a PM asking him to take some resistance readings on his Type 547 and he sent me the readings. Thank you! Here's the results.

PSU Supply               My 547                 His 547          Manual Spec

+225V to gnd             2.95K                   2.76K             2K to 3K

+100V to gnd             1.397K                 1.41K             1K to 2K

-150V to gnd              1.397K                 1.58K             1K to 2K

Across +100V            2.184K                 2.41K             This is not specified in the manual
to -150V

If you notice my +100V and -150V readings are exactly the same which is very suspicious. I tried bd's idea of adding a 10K resistor across the -150V and it resulted in a change in the -150V reading as expected but the +100V reading changed by only a few ohms. So I think it's safe to say they aren't shorted together somewhere. But it still bugs me that they read the same right down to a few ohms.

When I swapped the 6080 regulator tube with the +225V supply the cathode resistors I replaced got red hot. So this 6080 tube must have been damaged when the short originally occurred. The filament lights up but there's no one home. Totally dead. I have replacement tubes coming tomorrow as long as USPS doesn't get lazy and fucks up.

Going to spend the afternoon checking resistance values in both the +100V and -150V supplies. I'm hoping to stumble on something. We'll see.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 05:22:30 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, 0culus

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90337 on: May 09, 2021, 05:27:15 pm »

C615 (electrolytic cap 10 µF, 20%, 25 V) turned from green to charcoal and two electrolytic caps on the top seem to be leaky...

Mmm TANTS and wet TANTS (Sprague 109D).  >:D
Those 109D have some kind of acidic electrolyte, usually find slight corrosion of nearby parts.

David

The following users thanked this post: srb1954, DH7DN

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90338 on: May 09, 2021, 05:35:59 pm »

Those 109D have some kind of acidic electrolyte, usually find slight corrosion of nearby parts.

David
Wet Tantalum capacitors usually use sulphuric acid as electrolyte.

The following users thanked this post: DH7DN

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90339 on: May 09, 2021, 05:39:57 pm »
Wet tants are even more explosive than dry ones as well. I’ve seen one leave a dent in the side of a scope.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90340 on: May 09, 2021, 05:40:46 pm »

Given that people who write email  (a message type that has superficial lookalike traits to an
Usenet posting) never ever trim quotes, there is sufficient un-structured ancestry available throughout!   

:-DD :-DD :-DD

Code: [Select]
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

This is a very good and very annoying point  :-DD

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90341 on: May 09, 2021, 05:45:52 pm »
More work on the Type 547 +100V PSU issue.

Sent Oculus a PM asking him to take some resistance readings on his Type 547 and he sent me the readings. Thank you! Here's the results.

PSU Supply               My 547                 His 547          Manual Spec

+225V to gnd             2.95K                   2.76K             2K to 3K

+100V to gnd             1.397K                 1.41K             1K to 2K

-150V to gnd              1.397K                 1.58K             1K to 2K

Across +100V            2.184K                 2.41K             This is not specified in the manual
to -150V

If you notice my +100V and -150V readings are exactly the same which is very suspicious. I tried bd's idea of adding a 10K resistor across the -150V and it resulted in a change in the -150V reading as expected but the +100V reading changed by only a few ohms. So I think it's safe to say they aren't shorted together somewhere. But it still bugs me that they read the same right down to a few ohms.

When I swapped the 6080 regulator tube with the +225V supply the cathode resistors I replaced got red hot. So this 6080 tube must have been damaged when the short originally occurred. The filament lights up but there's no one home. Totally dead. I have replacement tubes coming tomorrow as long as USPS doesn't get lazy and fucks up.

Going to spend the afternoon checking resistance values in both the +100V and -150V supplies. I'm hoping to stumble on something. We'll see.

Interesting.  I'll check those values on mine when I (finally) get to opening it up to inspect it before attempting to power it up.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90342 on: May 09, 2021, 05:52:58 pm »

Interesting.  I'll check those values on mine when I (finally) get to opening it up to inspect it before attempting to power it up.

But as you can see having good resistance values is no guarantee that you won't have magic smoke. Which is why this issue is just about driving me to drink.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90343 on: May 09, 2021, 05:55:26 pm »

But as you can see having good resistance values is no guarantee that you won't have magic smoke. Which is why this issue is just about driving me to drink.  :-DD

True, but it's a bit more than a visual inspection, apply 120V and hope for the best.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90344 on: May 09, 2021, 06:05:23 pm »

mnem
Well not everybody. Over here it's in 3 weeks. Why can't they agree on a date worldwide...

That just means y'all get to enjoy it twice! ;)

mnem

*groannnnn* "I can't believe I ate the whole thing..."

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #90345 on: May 09, 2021, 06:09:02 pm »
Very popular PSU.. biggest version and i got WiFi working. 65V 18A 1080 Watts :)
Software install and a custom logo upload... just because you can.

BUT IT IS BLODY NOISY.. WHY I NEED 1200 WATT.... WHAT???  :-DD
.. mod will come... can't even think with this noise.
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: bd139, BILLPOD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90346 on: May 09, 2021, 06:12:07 pm »
I'm seeking opinions please. I'm looking at replacing my SSHD drive in my EliteBook with a proper SSD, and I'm thinking about this one Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-76E500B-EU-Solid-State/dp/B078WQT6S6/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=SSD+500GB&qid=1620478878&sr=8-4

Its the only that comes with a 5-year warranty on it, the others are 3 year and some don't state what they are. Anyone ever had to call on a warranty claim with Samsung before? If so, how was that experience?

We’ve got over a hundred of these drives and later ones in laptops and desktops. I’ve used them for about ten years. Never had to do a warranty claim - they are absolutely rock solid.

Seems I'm a little late to this subject, but for those playing along at home, this is what I was trying to post last night before eevBlog went out drinking for the weekend. ;)

Same here. The x60 product lines are pretty much the benchmark drive for everyday use, no matter which the form factor; they will not have the fastest standard interface but usually have DRAM cache. The x70 product lines usually have a faster standard interface (like NVMe vs m.2) and larger faster cache for high performance workstation/gaming use.

In your case the difference is pretty small, but so is the price, so rightly, the warranty is your main concern here. I've never had an issue with warranty on a Samsung SSD; we of course had some failures (both actual and collateral damage) at the ISD when I was there, but our distributor took care of that.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 06:15:22 pm by mnementh »

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #90347 on: May 09, 2021, 06:19:58 pm »

David

Sounds like an endboss  :-DD
Indeed, Mallory/Sprague caps from the old days - I am really scared! ;-)

Mmmmommmyy Mothra!
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90348 on: May 09, 2021, 06:26:52 pm »
17 minutes in. Some capacitors giving out in a way that even RODALCO couldn’t even match :-DD

https://youtu.be/hVFARbqkUEc

Tony: your video got me onto this one after looking for loud server fans  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus, DH7DN

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #90349 on: May 09, 2021, 06:29:37 pm »
17 minutes in. Some capacitors giving out in a way that even RODALCO couldn’t even match :-DD

https://youtu.be/hVFARbqkUEc

Tony: your video got me onto this one after looking for loud server fans  :-DD

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD and then that smell...priceless, Thanks! that made my day
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf