Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14904826 times)

Jambalaya, ch_scr, K0ELB and 236 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90450 on: May 11, 2021, 01:45:06 am »
Today's 3DP Project:

For those who care; just started a 8-hour print to make a battery for my son's BT speaker. More details at link below.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/3d-printer-yet/msg3566783/#msg3566783

mnem
 :popcorn:

Fits & works great; and only looks slightly ridiculous stuck on there. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #90451 on: May 11, 2021, 01:50:13 am »

"Caution: May slightly darken leather and suede after application."   :o

mnem

meh. Still beats wet feets.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #90452 on: May 11, 2021, 01:55:41 am »
Checking on the arrivals for Stanstead Airport I notice there was a fairly rare Antonov 124-100 coming in this evening from Istanbul and it was touch and go if I'd be able to get a shot or two of it before the sun went down, and here is one, bathed in the evening golden sunlight, another 5 minutes and the light had gone completely.

I'll bet the Russians would love to get the one and only AN-225 back from the Ukrainians even though it got recently bent up a bit from a landing accident.

That was a -124, unless the -225 has had an accident I haven't heard about!  :-//

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90453 on: May 11, 2021, 02:39:07 am »
Checking on the arrivals for Stanstead Airport I notice there was a fairly rare Antonov 124-100 coming in this evening from Istanbul and it was touch and go if I'd be able to get a shot or two of it before the sun went down, and here is one, bathed in the evening golden sunlight, another 5 minutes and the light had gone completely.

I'll bet the Russians would love to get the one and only AN-225 back from the Ukrainians even though it got recently bent up a bit from a landing accident.

That was a -124, unless the -225 has had an accident I haven't heard about!  :-//

Oops...you're right. It was an AN-124.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #90454 on: May 11, 2021, 04:53:32 am »
     https://www.quietpc.com/sys-bundle-ryzen-atx

This is mostly for cyclin_al; but interesting perspective on the current GPU Apocalypse so thought I'd bring it here. Just ignore the clickbait-hype thumbnail; it's part & parcel of YoobToob anymore.

mnem

That sums up the situation exactly.
Maybe I should have held off on the CPU until the Ryzen APUs become available ... but that is still in the future.  How is your crystal ball, any better than mine?

Best practical option at the moment still seems to be a MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB Low Profile for $80 new.
It gets the new rig going, in limp mode, but going nonetheless...
I could eventually re-purpose that GPU into the computer I am typing this message on, which has an AMD Radeon HD7570 since new.
I just have to wait until 2022, or beyond?  ::)

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #90455 on: May 11, 2021, 05:06:43 am »
Somehow I just remembered I may have something to contribute to this cluster fuck of a thread : when I was studying in the UK a long time ago, was doing my industrial placement in a small R&D department near Cambrdige. They were all very nice with that weird French guy that I was, and the very first day, the boss of the dept. handed me the following paper (attached below), a full page, titled :  " FUCK, our most versatile word in the English Language ". It was 22 years ago but somehow I still have it ! I knew it was worth archiving everything from that placement...

It was 26 years ago when one of my buddies from school explained that he just got a job where he was required to use the word Fuck at least once in every sentence when he went out onto the production floor.  It was the first time I heard him use the word Fuck, and never heard him say it since.  It is actually the only swear word I ever heard him say.  He must have learned well; he still works in that field to this day.

... and now my Fuck count on the forum just reached three  :wtf:

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #90456 on: May 11, 2021, 05:12:05 am »
My truck wouldn’t turn over in the shopping mall parking lot the other day...

Yeah, my cars refuse to do tricks, too, no matter how vigorously I command them. :-DD

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Some people have the knack:-

https://signalscv.com/2017/10/pickup-truck-flips-restaurant-parking-lot/

Or perhaps:-

https://www.throttlextreme.com/auto-shop-worker-builds-road-legal-drivable-upside-pickup-truck/

Oh, my! ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #90457 on: May 11, 2021, 05:12:49 am »
Completely off topic but for Saskia I offer a WiFi enabled alternate to C4 put a couple on the roof and ...... >:D

and https://youtu.be/e474W5k4HOQ?t=138

looking at their website and buyitnow options ...

And to think, I just wasted all that money buying a pole saw.   :palm:

-Pat

I did not watch the video until I saw Pat's comment.
Is it less expensive than a chain saw?  >:D
I just got through the ordeal of sharpening the chain saw and am going to have to do it again soon.
It can only do about five cuts or so of hard Ash wood before it needs sharpening again and again and again ....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90458 on: May 11, 2021, 05:28:59 am »

-Pat

I just got through the ordeal of sharpening the chain saw and am going to have to do it again soon.
It can only do about five cuts or so of hard Ash wood before it needs sharpening again and again and again ....

Given it is likely an RF Laser along with the rest lets guess $10k as a possibility  ;) Also given the level of bits in the box why you wouldn't include a Range finder in the Camera path is a bit of a missed step.

Reason I found it is I am about to order the Tube for my 100W build and these guys are the most likely suspects over Reci by a few features.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90459 on: May 11, 2021, 05:29:51 am »
Get yourself the correct size Oregon file guide so to have the angles to guide you and hold the file at the correct height so to get the top plate angle (hook) correct.
In another life when I fixed pro and home user saws for a living we sharpened everything by hand with one of these...up to 10 chains/day.  :o
40 years later I still have the same set of file guides and use them regularly.

Pick the correct one for your chain:
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/saw-chain-sharpening/saw-chain-sharpening-tools/file-guides/c/02_01_04
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90461 on: May 11, 2021, 05:39:45 am »
Thank you to dl6lr & Neomys Sapiens, I now have 20 pdf files of the PM6645 diagrams, all renamed and put back into the correct page order.

Question, as it's been suggested I could edit & combine these pdf files without printing & rescanning, anyone have a suggestion of what program to use? Needs to be free and be able to deal with 20 two page pdf files, remove the 20 unwanted RM advert pages, personal info and create a single 20 page pdf.

David

If you just need to manipulate whole pages, I use https://github.com/pdfarranger/pdfarranger

The following users thanked this post: factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90462 on: May 11, 2021, 05:44:50 am »
PSA: Keep your eyes on your online orders.

I ordered an item on AliExpress a few weeks ago. Got the alleged "shipped" notification. A week later, the shipment was cancelled. Neither AliExpress nor the seller notified me let alone bothered to refund my order. I had to explicitly file a dispute with AliExpress. At least that part was easy and quick to get my refund.

Intentional shiftiness? I don't know. But with the long shipping times these days, you've got to keep your eyes peeled.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90463 on: May 11, 2021, 05:51:26 am »
PSA: Keep your eyes on your online orders.

I ordered an item on AliExpress a few weeks ago. Got the alleged "shipped" notification. A week later, the shipment was cancelled. Neither AliExpress nor the seller notified me let alone bothered to refund my order. I had to explicitly file a dispute with AliExpress. At least that part was easy and quick to get my refund.

Intentional shiftiness? I don't know. But with the long shipping times these days, you've got to keep your eyes peeled.

Never seen that on AliExpress before. I have had a few sellers extend process or shipping time in the last COVID year but never cancel an order. I did however have to file a claim for the first time since 2017 due to a missing item from a recent shipment partial refund due in a day or two I guess.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #90464 on: May 11, 2021, 06:25:11 am »
Completely off topic but for Saskia I offer a WiFi enabled alternate to C4 put a couple on the roof and ...... >:D

and https://youtu.be/e474W5k4HOQ?t=138

-Pat

LOL - much more expensive, but it appears to have better range.  My chainsaw-on-a-stick only extends to 12 feet.  I need to get the four foot extension for it, and it will still take some stretching to do what I need to with it.

As for chain sharpening, as tautech said, it's easy with the proper file, and an angle guide helps too.  I find it to be pretty quick and easy to do, especially if there's a bench vise handy to secure the bar.  Three or four strokes per tooth on one side till you make it all the way around, then flip it 180 and repeat for the opposite teeth.  You need to hit the depth gauges every few sharpenings, too, as the teeth are filed back and the cutting edge drops.

Stihl makes a nice jig that gets both the cutting edges and the depth gauges in one fell swoop; I bought one last year /after/ I'd finished with the saw and so haven't yet really used it, but it seems to be well regarded.

If you're using the correct diameter file, is it possible that the chain overheated at some point and the teeth lost their temper?  While I haven't done any ash (have mostly maple here), I find that a sharpening will last a loooong time.  Or until the saw touches the dirt.  That will dull it almost faster than you can react to lift it back up, and off to the vise I go, swearing the whole way...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90465 on: May 11, 2021, 06:29:33 am »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]The following book is strongly recommended for all non native speaker of f&€#ing english.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90466 on: May 11, 2021, 06:37:05 am »
Dump: https://teaarchive.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/tea.db.gz

Working on attachments next...

Access denied  :-//

Fixed.

Looks like the first one I uploaded I set "make public" manually. They changed how S3 works in the last couple of years so that idiots who upload stuff can't make it public by default and then end up in the national news and blame amazon for themselves setting up bad bucket policies  :palm:. I have added an inline policy now

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90467 on: May 11, 2021, 07:12:05 am »
Non Destructive Laser Use today. Had a spare corner in a job and the much abused and totally wrecked Shack Coaster needed replacing. Couldn't decide between the Premium Deluxe version or Plain Cork so I made both  ;D

Main Project is a box for my Measuring and modelling tools to get them a home after the Vernier box shat itself yesterday and it will tidy up the bench too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:40:58 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90468 on: May 11, 2021, 07:22:22 am »

Fits & works great; and only looks slightly ridiculous stuck on there. ;)

mnem
 :-/O

There wasn't enough space inside that oversized case to put the batteries inside?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90469 on: May 11, 2021, 07:39:22 am »

If you're using the correct diameter file, is it possible that the chain overheated at some point and the teeth lost their temper? 
-Pat
Not without the chain turning blue and if the cutting teeth do it normally hardens them which is why shop ground sharpened chains can be a real bitch to file sharpen until you cut through the hardened surface.
The simplest mistake sharpening saw chain is filing too deep in the gullet which gives the top plate far too much hook and it won't hold an edge especially in harder woods.
Lotsa tips here:
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/product-support/chainsaw/sharpening-chainsaw-chain-/c/sharpening-chainsaw-chain-s

Touching the dirt with a chainsaw will take the edge off it in a flash and is to be avoided at all costs unless you really like filing chains.  ::)
Here the pro's felling pine softwood would sharpen every tank with just a single stroke of a file and freehand without any guide at all and a buddy that thought the time wasted sharpening was such that he should sharpen every 2nd tank discovered it took 3 strokes of the file to get it perfect and therefore lost days of chain life filed away and went back to sharpening every tank pronto.  :-DD

Any guy can swing on a saw nah, there's some science to be tops at it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, cyclin_al

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90470 on: May 11, 2021, 07:39:29 am »
Question, as it's been suggested I could edit & combine these pdf files without printing & rescanning, anyone have a suggestion of what program to use? Needs to be free and be able to deal with 20 two page pdf files, remove the 20 unwanted RM advert pages, personal info and create a single 20 page pdf.

I am not familiar with advanced PDF editing tools, but there are several steps to success:

1. remove all watermarks and download marks: This could be done with a image manipulation tool (or when printing out with paper, scissors and glue). I used Gimp to "edit" scanned schematics in PDFs (I prefer Gimp over Photoshop Elements). This is a tidy job.
2. Stitch image parts together. This may include resizing parts. There are stitcher programs for photos, I don't know how well they perform with schematics. I manually stitched some schematics with Gimp too.
3. Rearrange and combine all pages to one PDF: This could be done with a PDF printer tool. I am using PDFCreator Free, but this is now annoyware as some functions that ere free before are now available in the paid version only. Keep in mind that the pages may have different size and orientation.

Regards, Bernd

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90471 on: May 11, 2021, 07:44:22 am »
Non Destructive Laser Use today. Had a spare corner in a job and the much abused and totally wrecked Shack Coaster needed replacing. Couldn't decide between the Premium Deluxe version or Plain Cork so I made both  ;D

Well done, I am tempted at ordering a laser to get me some coasters.

Bernd

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90472 on: May 11, 2021, 07:48:22 am »

Bernd

Plenty of traps out there and marketing LIES from most sellers Chinese or Western so buyer beware. Have a bit of a trawl around at Russ's channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCyShJXqnElPTUnxX0mD5A for some good info or drop me a message if your serious  ;)

Edit Needs Glue and the insert cutting but it is Beer and Food time  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:53:02 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90473 on: May 11, 2021, 07:56:10 am »

Bernd
More of bean's escapades:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/mechanical-engineering/40w-300x200mm-laser-cutter-engraver-vollerun/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #90474 on: May 11, 2021, 08:06:28 am »

I've done 7 flights on the AN124-100 including 2 atlantic crossings. Not recommended. During the first fligh one of the ground crew started cooking something on a Camping Gaz burner on the floor  :scared:
Inflight catering and entertainment was totally DIY.

From what I've heard, that's classic Russian behaviour!

One example, which I hope is a "fisherman's tale", is of a glider that got a tow behind a Russian aircraft with four prop engines. The glider was flying before the tow had even started moving down the runway :)

Gliders just want to fly!

I remember walking on one side of a Blanik to keep the wing tip off the ground, & finding I was redundant before I took much more than a dozen steps at a comfortable walking pace.

This was in a farmer's paddock---------the Cessna tow plane would often return to its home base with cow poo under its wings!

Gliders do indeed want to fly :)

Sometimes they go up like homesick angels with your ears popping, but sometime the sky just says "go away" and spits them out!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf