Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563616 times)

Robert763 and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90925 on: May 15, 2021, 08:43:41 pm »
At least Saskia is in Discord, unlike the rest of you!
Not on but watching so to keep an eye on you !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90926 on: May 15, 2021, 10:02:15 pm »
Quote from: CL Listing
BUY OR MOVIE PROP RENTAL

:wtf:

Hmmm... maybe I should try that on my Kijiji listings...  ???

mnem
 :popcorn:

Yea, at $50 USD/day. Wishful thinking.  ::) :palm:

What on price, or visibility? That's about the right price for 'dry' hire of a prop like that; whether someone looking for prop hire is going to use CL to find them is another question.

Not sure I would want to hire anything as a prop, seeing how some stuff gets treated by prop departments.
They would possibly return it trashed, punksteamed,  repainted or stripped out & filled with random flashing LED's.

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #90927 on: May 15, 2021, 11:37:38 pm »
At least Saskia is in Discord, unlike the rest of you!
Not on but watching so to keep an eye on you !  :P
Aye... and 'es one that bears watching...! No tellin' what deviltry 'e's liable to git up ta!!! :-DD

I just got back from biking and shooting hoops with my son at the local park. We were the beneficiaries of serendipity and actually had the court to ourselves for almost a full hour on a Saturday! w00t!

mnem
*Casts a silent thank you to Ifni for small favours*
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 11:44:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90928 on: May 16, 2021, 01:01:40 am »
Quote from: CL Listing
BUY OR MOVIE PROP RENTAL

:wtf:

Hmmm... maybe I should try that on my Kijiji listings...  ???

mnem
 :popcorn:

Yea, at $50 USD/day. Wishful thinking.  ::) :palm:

What on price, or visibility? That's about the right price for 'dry' hire of a prop like that; whether someone looking for prop hire is going to use CL to find them is another question.

When I was selling a big Lecroy scope on Kijiji (similar to craigslist over here), someone contacted me asking if I could rent it since he was looking for props for a movie. I never answered since I was sure it was some sort of scam, but who know ? maybe peoples are really renting props on local classified adds  :-//

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90929 on: May 16, 2021, 01:13:49 am »
Not sure I would want to hire anything as a prop, seeing how some stuff gets treated by prop departments.
They would possibly return it trashed, punksteamed,  repainted or stripped out & filled with random flashing LED's.

David

That's nothing, you should see what actors do to props.

One of my more worrying discoveries has been that once you get up to the 'feature film' level that the guns you see frequently aren't rubber props, or replicas, but are fully-fledged, working firearms ('practical' weapons as they are known in the trade). Having seen the damage that they can do with simple thing like a chair or a telephone handset, the idea of putting a working firearm, albeit loaded with blanks*, into the hands of an actor terrifies me.  :scared:

* I'll state the bleeding obvious here for the firearms naïve, but blanks are almost as dangerous at short range as live ammunition.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90930 on: May 16, 2021, 01:27:11 am »
When I was selling a big Lecroy scope on Kijiji (similar to craigslist over here), someone contacted me asking if I could rent it since he was looking for props for a movie. I never answered since I was sure it was some sort of scam, but who know ? maybe peoples are really renting props on local classified adds  :-//

No episode of a British 70s TV series in the space, sci-fi, or spy genres was complete without at least one oscilloscope in the background. There was one, I think a repurposed vector scope, that turned up in programme after programme displaying the same EKG waveform. It had done it so often that there was some serious burn-in showing. This is the one, here from the first episode of UFO:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #90931 on: May 16, 2021, 01:44:51 am »

David

That's nothing, you should see what actors do to props.

One of my more worrying discoveries has been that once you get up to the 'feature film' level that the guns you see frequently aren't rubber props, or replicas, but are fully-fledged, working firearms ('practical' weapons as they are known in the trade). Having seen the damage that they can do with simple thing like a chair or a telephone handset, the idea of putting a working firearm, albeit loaded with blanks*, into the hands of an actor terrifies me.  :scared:

* I'll state the bleeding obvious here for the firearms naïve, but blanks are almost as dangerous at short range as live ammunition.

Putting a working firearm in the hands of anybody but me terrifies me. But to your point... Brandon Lee was killed (assuming you don't buy any of the conspiracy theory stuff) in an accident involving a "blank" round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee#Death

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #90932 on: May 16, 2021, 01:51:07 am »
And on a TEA note: you lot of filthy enablers did it again>:( You cajoled, berated, hounded, harassed, besmirched, ostracized, romanticized, confabulated, bloviated, and whatever other -ed you can think of, until I did it. You wore me down with your persistence, and sheer numbers. I never stood a chance. It's like David vs Goliath + Frankenstein's Monster + IBM's legal team + The Illuminati + The Irish Mafia + The US Federal Government. No one can resist that kind of overwhelming force.

So I bought an HP 35660A Dynamic Signal Analyzer yesterday.

So there. But ya know what... enjoy your victory, suckers, because I am free now! You hold nothing over me anymore. There is NO MORE BENCH TEST EQUIPMENT I COULD POSSIBLY NEED. I'm done. NO MORE. Bwahahaha! Hahahahaha!! Muwahahahahahahaha!!! I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:54:23 am by mindcrime »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, Specmaster, capt bullshot, beanflying, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus, DH7DN

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #90933 on: May 16, 2021, 01:57:32 am »
And on a TEA note: you lot of filthy enablers did it again>:( You cajoled, berated, hounded, harassed, besmirched, ostracized, romanticized, confabulated, bloviated, and whatever other -ed you can think of, until I did it. You wore me down with your persistence, and sheer numbers. I never stood a chance. It's like David vs Goliath + Frankenstein's Monster + IBM's legal team + The Illuminati + The Irish Mafia + The US Federal Government. No one can resist that kind of overwhelming force.

Oh yea it has a floppy! Welcome to my world (lately). Extra TEA points for that!

So there. But ya know what... enjoy your victory, suckers, because I am free now! You hold nothing over me anymore. There is NO MORE BENCH TEST EQUIPMENT I COULD POSSIBLY NEED. I'm done. NO MORE. Bwahahaha! Hahahahaha!! Muwahahahahahahaha!!! I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!

You are a terrible liar.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90934 on: May 16, 2021, 02:03:23 am »
So after striking out on anything vintage I brought a 120V 3A Shenzen market Power Supply - what could go wrong  :-DD

Fortunately it has a powerful inner core  :scared:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AmnevaR, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #90935 on: May 16, 2021, 02:11:04 am »

What would possibly go wrong... 

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90936 on: May 16, 2021, 02:58:32 am »
Sorry for my missing enthusiasm, but from an RF perspecitve this repair is absolutely substandard.
Why not wait for a proper replacement mixer so signal integrity is preserved ?
 >:D |O :--

If it works & meets specs, the only objection can be aesthetics.

When I worked in TV & Radio Broadcasting, we often had to subsitute equivalent, if "different looking" components to maintain service, especially with equipment from Europe.

Many of the EU manufacturers had an "Australia? -----------Too far away, let 'em wait!" attitude!

On one occasion, a 10 kw Thomson TV transmitter had its 28v high current DC supply fail.
Repair or replacement?

Repair was measured in weeks (if we could get the parts), replacement in months, which was not good enough for the owners of the Tx, who were a country commercial station, with no backup transmitter.

As luck would have it, we had a spare 32v Power supply from an NEC transmitter, belonging to the National broadcaster, who agreed to a loan.
It could be shifted down in voltage, & still had sufficient current capacity.

The problem was, it was much bigger than the failed one, so it sat outside the Thomson, with big, thick cables making the requisite DC connection.

The NEC was fully enclosed, so was safe by the standards of the day, but these days, people would scream Aieee!  & run around in circles! :scared:

The NEC supply did sterling service for months, till the replacement Thomson unit arrived.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, capt bullshot

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90937 on: May 16, 2021, 02:59:28 am »
So after striking out on anything vintage I brought a 120V 3A Shenzen market Power Supply - what could go wrong  :-DD

So did Chernobyl! ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90938 on: May 16, 2021, 03:12:07 am »

We did no such thing. We got the fuck out of your way lest we be roadkill in your one-maniac stampede.  :-DD

mnem
'tis a sad, sad day when I am in any way even marginally close to what anyone might call "a voice of reason"...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: mindcrime

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #90939 on: May 16, 2021, 03:50:46 am »

We did no such thing. We got the fuck out of your way lest we be roadkill in your one-maniac stampede.  :-DD

mnem

I've been besmirched, again:--

Listen buddy, you might want to be careful where you walk in the future... you never know when an HP 8594E is gonna "accidentally" fall off of a balcony just as you're passing by...   :box: :box:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 03:58:04 am by mindcrime »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90940 on: May 16, 2021, 04:37:10 am »
*Runs inside*

*Returns brandishing dwagon-sized catcher's mitt; readies for a really wild pitch*

mnem

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90941 on: May 16, 2021, 04:57:47 am »
Putting a working firearm in the hands of anybody but me terrifies me.
Most of the world is very different to the US where in most countries sidearms are very redistricted whereas a longarm should be considered as just another tool and firearms have perfectly valid uses and gun sports are part of Olympic competitions where those competitors are just as heavily invested as us here in TEA.

We each have different hobbies and interests.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, cyclin_al

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #90942 on: May 16, 2021, 05:30:14 am »
Most of the world is very different to the US where in most countries sidearms are very redistricted whereas a longarm should be considered as just another tool and firearms have perfectly valid uses and gun sports are part of Olympic competitions where those competitors are just as heavily invested as us here in TEA.

FWIW, my comment above was a total joke. I'm about as rabidly pro-gun as anybody you'll ever meet, from the USA or otherwise. I donate money to basically every pro gun-rights organization there is, including Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership - and I'm not even Jewish.

Anyway... I'll say no more about that here. This thread already goes off in the weeds enough as it is. I just don't want anybody thinking I'm one of those anti-gun people.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Cubdriver, scl, Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90943 on: May 16, 2021, 06:14:30 am »
   https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/glass.png

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a boson mallet*  :=\
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:28:45 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: mindcrime

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #90944 on: May 16, 2021, 08:29:32 am »
What I need right now is an exterminator, we have some varmint hiding under the roof.

My daughter's dog would love that. The only thing that distracts him from chasing a ball is a squirrel or something under the floorboards.

Hubby said that getting rid of it using H2S or HCN was not an option ...

You might like to choose a method which enables you to remove the corpse.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #90945 on: May 16, 2021, 08:38:17 am »
What I need right now is an exterminator, we have some varmint hiding under the roof.

My daughter's dog would love that. The only thing that distracts him from chasing a ball is a squirrel or something under the floorboards.

Yes indeed, otherwise you will be enjoying the smell of rotting flesh for a couple of months.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90946 on: May 16, 2021, 08:44:42 am »

FWIW, my comment above was a total joke. I'm about as rabidly pro-gun as anybody you'll ever meet, from the USA or otherwise. I donate money to basically every pro gun-rights organization there is, including Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership - and I'm not even Jewish.
Please don't joke about such things as there's already enough underhand moves to citizen disarmament all outlaid in UN policies. Deal early and properly vet the few bad eggs that bring these sports into general disrepute which affects normal law abiding owners rather than sell the pretense that it's best for the greater good.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90947 on: May 16, 2021, 08:47:48 am »

Flamethrower?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #90948 on: May 16, 2021, 08:51:11 am »

What would possibly go wrong...

Remember the demon core ...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #90949 on: May 16, 2021, 08:54:55 am »

Flamethrower?

browsing thru styropyro's concoctions ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf