Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550878 times)

cf4044, Vince, TSCOLAN and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91025 on: May 17, 2021, 07:39:15 pm »
folks, while I am also a legal gun owner and met my husband on the gun range (as a fellow IPSC shooter) I think that this is such a controversial matter that we should table this.

Btw. ex Manurhin MR93 / S&W 500 / still kicking: STI Sparta / Drake .338LM

point taken.
free range primate

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91026 on: May 17, 2021, 07:44:17 pm »
Sorry to interrupt with TEA stuff, I apologize in advance. Please don't shoot me down !  :-DD

This is another sad TEA day for me.  Just the other day I missed that fantastic deal on that old classic Tek scope, still crying about that.

Well today similar story :  a 224 scope. Not a TDS224 (which I also would love, memory lane, but ridiculously priced so no thanks), but a 224.

That  minuscule digital battery powered scopes. There is the low end 222 and the big brother 224.
They are quite rare, come up say once a year over here, always at silly prices.

Well a couple days ago this one popped-up :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipements_industriels/1983323731.htm?ac=206978287

A 222, no detail, not even powered up, ie dead I guess, for 270 Euros ! Good luck with that.

This evening, just checked, what do you know : ANOTHER of these, two in a row !!!
Except this time it's a 224 + there is something on the screen so it's at least alive to some extent + it's only 45 FREAKING EUROS ?!!!   :scared:
Looked at the time stamp... was put on-line 24 Hours ago, didn't see it... of course it's already too late, sold ! NOOOOOOO!!!!! AGAIN !!!!!  :palm:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/1984026146.htm?ac=206978287

I am cursed....  :rant:

But, maybe a ray of light : today as well, I notice this thing :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/1984157768.htm?ac=206978287

An old tube HP scope, model 120B.. FOR FREE !!!
... the guy said he stole all the tubes from it, and is giving away the corpse...

Now I am not into HP scopes, I collect the classic Teks that's all, and that scope is useless as a scope. Even my crappiest Tek scope, the 310A, runs circles around that HP thing. It's only 450kHz bandwidth, and uses banana jacks as inputs... But, I like old HP Nixie counters, and that old scope has some nice industrial design as well, quite like it. Looks kinda cute, and is in good nick it seems. It kills me to think that it will end up in the landfill.  >:(
I just downloaded the service manual for it.. it's got 19 tubes in it. I can't afford to buy that many tubes to bring it back to life, would cost me as much my car, and even if I could buy al those tubes, I could not justify such an extravagant expense for such a low spec scope anyway...

BUT....It's free, it's cute, in good nick, it's a cool piece of HP history.. only 10 Euros to pay to get it (for shipping).... I just want to buy it somehow !!!
My cheap/affordable entry to vintage HP test gear, you gotta start somewhere !!!  ;D

Please tell me your thoughts... should I, or shouldn't I ??  :-//

At any rate, it's the first time I see a tube stealer that gives away the corpse instead of dumping it... so at least I can respect that guy to some extent.. tube stealer yes, but at least he is trying to get the corpse a good loving home.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:39:57 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #91027 on: May 17, 2021, 07:51:04 pm »
Meanwhile somewhere deep in the statistics:   
I’m gonna run for prime minister  :-DD
That's a good way to get other kinds of responses. :-DD

Yeah karma responded heavily to that post and reminded me that my accepted position in life is “wielder of fire hose for miserable software projects”. The universe knows what’s best for it  :-DD

I suspect this is probably why we haven't seen bd139 for a while; he's been busy putting out brushfires at work.

mnem
Best of luck, mate.  :-+
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:53:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #91028 on: May 17, 2021, 08:19:05 pm »
Woohoo! According to Fedex tracking, my "new" HP 53310A Modulation Domain Analyzer should be here anytime now.  :D

OTOH, the 35660A Dynamic Signal Analyzer only just shipped today, and probably won't be here until next Tuesday.  :o ??? >:(

Oh well, such is the breaks. Nonetheless, it's not like I have any shortage of stuff to work on, or projects to dabble with. The reflow oven project is still proceeding along nicely, and I still plan to build a Z80 based retro-computer.

There's also the matter of various upgrades / improvements to gear I already own. The 53132A frequency counter in particular has some improvements that can be added. And it probably wouldn't hurt to open up the older HP logic analyzer at some point and see if there are any questionable capacitors in there.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91029 on: May 17, 2021, 08:27:44 pm »
Meanwhile somewhere deep in the statistics:   
I’m gonna run for prime minister  :-DD
That's a good way to get other kinds of responses. :-DD

Yeah karma responded heavily to that post and reminded me that my accepted position in life is “wielder of fire hose for miserable software projects”. The universe knows what’s best for it  :-DD

I suspect this is probably why we haven't seen bd139 for a while; he's been busy putting out brushfires at work.

mnem
Best of luck, mate.  :-+
I sure hope this is correct, but he does normally manage to pop on and off for a few quick words.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #91030 on: May 17, 2021, 08:46:42 pm »

OT: My current "China-Direct" madness: maybe getting back into Cheap RC cars. These from WLToys are pretty well-known to flex not break and are fully repairable with all parts available, altho 540 brushed and a bit cheap on the electronics. Some bashing fun with my son in the future, if they actually make it to me as promised.   >:D

I've done business before with TomTop; they're another like GearBest & bang-em-good. Pray for me, this is aboot USD$130 less than 2 of these would normally cost based on shopping elsewhere; actually, right at release prices 3 years ago, before they made a name for themselves. Otherwise, will be a bit of PP dispute, etc.

https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm5683gr.html

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:50:54 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #91031 on: May 17, 2021, 09:01:23 pm »
Woohoo! According to Fedex tracking, my "new" HP 53310A Modulation Domain Analyzer should be here anytime now.  :D

OTOH, the 35660A Dynamic Signal Analyzer only just shipped today, and probably won't be here until next Tuesday.  :o ??? >:(

Oh well, such is the breaks. Nonetheless, it's not like I have any shortage of stuff to work on, or projects to dabble with. The reflow oven project is still proceeding along nicely, and I still plan to build a Z80 based retro-computer.

There's also the matter of various upgrades / improvements to gear I already own. The 53132A frequency counter in particular has some improvements that can be added. And it probably wouldn't hurt to open up the older HP logic analyzer at some point and see if there are any questionable capacitors in there.

Now you need to be on the lookout for an audio spectrum analyzer and add that to your stable.   >:D >:D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, kj7e, Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #91032 on: May 17, 2021, 09:19:13 pm »
Where is bd139?
Missing him somehow ...
I've PM'd him but so far no response, I'm hoping that everything is OK. I know that he has been listed some TEA items on the evil bay lately, so I hope that doesnt mean that he's getting fed up with electronics again like he did a while ago. Keeping everything crossed and hoping that everything is fine with him right now.

EDIT: I just checked, his post on here was Friday 14th  :o
Popped him an email too.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91033 on: May 17, 2021, 09:20:17 pm »

OT: My current "China-Direct" madness: maybe getting back into Cheap RC cars. These from WLToys are pretty well-known to flex not break and are fully repairable with all parts available, altho 540 brushed and a bit cheap on the electronics. Some bashing fun with my son in the future, if they actually make it to me as promised.   >:D

I've done business before with TomTop; they're another like GearBest & bang-em-good. Pray for me, this is aboot USD$130 less than 2 of these would normally cost based on shopping elsewhere; actually, right at release prices 3 years ago, before they made a name for themselves. Otherwise, will be a bit of PP dispute, etc.

https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm5683gr.html

mnem
 :popcorn:
Sure is a robust unit  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #91034 on: May 17, 2021, 09:40:08 pm »
Now you need to be on the lookout for an audio spectrum analyzer and add that to your stable.   >:D >:D
-Pat

Ya know, between the 53310A Modulation Domain Analyzer, the 35660A Dynamic Signal Analyzer, and my Rigol RSA3015N spectrum analyzer, I'm think I'm set for a while.  ;D

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #91035 on: May 17, 2021, 09:42:22 pm »
-Pat

Ya know, between the 53310A Modulation Domain Analyzer, the 35660A Dynamic Signal Analyzer, and my Rigol RSA3015N spectrum analyzer, I'm think I'm set for a while.  ;D

:-DD :-DD :-DD  <snort>   :-DD :-DD :-DD

That's what they all say...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #91036 on: May 17, 2021, 09:44:21 pm »
[...]
But, maybe a ray of light : today as well, I notice this thing :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/1984157768.htm?ac=206978287

An old tube HP scope, model 120B.. FOR FREE !!!
... the guy said he stole all the tubes from it, and is giving away the corpse...

:wtf:  >:(  :--  :rant:

[...]
I just downloaded the service manual for it.. it's got 19 tubes in it. I can't afford to buy that many tubes to bring it back to life, would cost me as much my car, and even if I could buy al those tubes, I could not justify such an extravagant expense for such a low spec scope anyway...

BUT....It's free, it's cute, in good nick, it's a cool piece of HP history.. only 10 Euros to pay to get it (for shipping).... I just want to buy it somehow !!!
My cheap/affordable entry to vintage HP test gear, you gotta start somewhere !!!  ;D

Could you provide a list of all those tubes? Perhaps some people here can help you with that.

Edit:

Okay, I did a little research and found a list of the tubes from the 120B on radiomuseum.org.
It contains 17 tubes, including the CRT.

Here is my list (haven't found out yet, how this bloody table is working in SMF)

Code: [Select]
tube type         units     available at     price per unit
12AU7 / ECC82     5         reichelt.de      12 EUR
6DJ8 / ECC88      3         reichelt.de      18 EUR
6GH8A / ECF82     3         reichelt.de      7 EUR
6AU6 / EF94       1         reichelt.de      9 EUR
6AQ5 / EL90       1         reichelt.de      7 EUR
6C4 / EC90        1         reichelt.de      11 EUR
12B4A / ---       2         ebay.de      ca. 10 EUR

This will make overall costs for the tubes: 182 EUR exkl. shipping.
It might be doable. Perhaps, if you could find used tubes it may become much cheaper.

Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:49:40 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #91037 on: May 17, 2021, 09:49:00 pm »

What do you want me to tell you Vince ... no?

If I did that I'd get my TEA membership revoked on the spot!  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #91038 on: May 17, 2021, 10:00:04 pm »

Quite right or quite wrong, depending on the definition of "while".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91039 on: May 17, 2021, 10:00:55 pm »
If I did that I'd get my TEA membership revoked on the spot!  :-DD

Now come on, we're not that hasty. Not, "on the spot". We'd give you some time to reconsider before revoking your membership. You'd have, what, all the time it takes to walk to the back of the barn?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91040 on: May 17, 2021, 10:02:49 pm »

Quite right or quite wrong, depending on the definition of "while".

In this case I suspect a "while" is a New York minute.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91041 on: May 17, 2021, 10:18:28 pm »
Hello all. tautech prodded me via email directly. Life turned upside down here. Don't want to detail on public forum so will reply to PMs / post something on discord. I am not going insane and haven't killed anyone :)

Also I don't get forum PM notifications because I'm using outlook.com and the forum email is borked to any outlook.com recipients. Argh. Also I didn't put the eevblog forum password in keepass so it didn't make it over to the mac when I migrated. Have just fixed that mess and logged in quick.

The following users thanked this post: nfmax, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, beanflying, mansaxel, Kosmic, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91042 on: May 17, 2021, 10:29:45 pm »
Hello all. tautech prodded me via email directly. Life turned upside down here. Don't want to detail on public forum so will reply to PMs / post something on discord. I am not going insane and haven't killed anyone :)

Also I don't get forum PM notifications because I'm using outlook.com and the forum email is borked to any outlook.com recipients. Argh. Also I didn't put the eevblog forum password in keepass so it didn't make it over to the mac when I migrated. Have just fixed that mess and logged in quick.
Your alive  :-+ Yeah I forgot about that outlook.com bug, that explains why you didn't reply to my PM.

I solved that for the time being by changing my email address to gmail and then having gmail forward replies onto my outlook.com, downside of that is, it takes bleeding time.
Who let Murphy in?

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91043 on: May 17, 2021, 10:31:19 pm »
Could you provide a list of all those tubes? Perhaps some people here can help you with that.

From the parts list in the service manual :

Code: [Select]
2x 5642   (HV rectifier)
1x 6C4         
2x 12B4A         
1x 6AQ5         
1x 6AU6       
x3 6DJ8       
x5 12AU7
x3 6U8     
x1 5651  (Regulator tube)   

I could maybe salvage soooome, not all, of these tubes from some of my old Tek scopes that I probably won't restore. I mean I have a 531A that's very low spec and quite crusty inside, that one is for parts only. Also have two type 515A, won't restore both of them so can use one for parts. I also have 5 examples of the little type 317. Have restored one already, so the other 4 are for parts...
A year ago I made a little spreadsheet that summarizes all the tube models, along with quantities, contained in each Tek type I have. So at a quick glance I can now know what the 531A and 317 and 515A have to offer tube wise. ...

2x 5642  (HV rectifier)   DO HAVE   
1x 6C4        DO NOT HAVE
2x 12B4A    DO NOT HAVE
1x 6AQ5      DO HAVE, but only one, so hoping it's good...
1x 6AU6       DO HAVE,  second most used tube model in Tek scopes, have plenty of them
x3 6DJ8        DO HAVE, first most used tube model in Tek scopes, twice as many 6AU6's, plenty of them...
x5 12AU7     DO HAVE.
x3 6U8         DO HAVE, but JUST !!! Need 3, and I have ONLY 3 ! Only present in the Type 515A, which carries precisely 3 of them, hoping they are all good ! 
x1 5651 (Regulator tube)          DO HAVE

Oh, so it looks like I have most of them in fact ?! I knew it was worth rescuing all these old Tek scopes after all !!!   ;D

So looks like I missing only two tube models then, and 3 tubes in all :

1x 6C4
2x 12B4A

If any generous mind here wants to donate these, from Europe (cheap shipping ie...) and want to help me rescue this little HP piece of history ??

Maybe these tubes can be substituted by other models which I might have ? Not too clued about tubes, but maybe some of you are...

Will try to see what info I can find on-line about substitues...

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:39:17 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91044 on: May 17, 2021, 10:39:06 pm »
Where is bd139?
Missing him somehow ...
I've PM'd him but so far no response, I'm hoping that everything is OK. I know that he has been listed some TEA items on the evil bay lately, so I hope that doesnt mean that he's getting fed up with electronics again like he did a while ago. Keeping everything crossed and hoping that everything is fine with him right now.

EDIT: I just checked, his post on here was Friday 14th  :o
Popped him an email too.
That was my next move, but you beat me to it. I'd have done it already but didn't want to make him feel hounded if he was under pressure with work problems.
Who let Murphy in?

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91045 on: May 17, 2021, 11:02:02 pm »
Tubes again.... stupid me, forgot I have MORE Tek duplicates I can use for parts ! Have so many of them I am starting to lose count apparently !  :scared:

I mean, I have also TWO type 547 (one is crusty and already missing tubes in the plug-in IIRC), and also TWO type 549.

That being said, none of them have the 6C4 and 12B4 I need...

However, the type 549 has x4   12B4A.... If the 'A' suffix is not that important in the case of that little HP scope, then maybe I can use that as a substitute  ?

If so, then all I need now is one single 6C4, or find a substitute that I might have.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:58:10 pm by Vince »

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91046 on: May 17, 2021, 11:14:47 pm »
Cool, just looked it up in Google. Seems like the 12B4A can indeed be a substitute for the 12B4, and that more generally speaking, in the tube world, with the odd exception here or there as with anything... the 'A' suffix means it's an improved version and that therefore it can do anything the non-A version did.

Great !

So now need to figure out the 6C4 and I am good.... am just one single tube away from resurrecting this poor HP scope !

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #91047 on: May 17, 2021, 11:18:11 pm »
So now need to figure out the 6C4 and I am good.... am just one single tube away from resurrecting this poor HP scope !
1/2 a 12UA7:
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0038.htm

Sensibly equivalent to:
CV133 CV852 EC90 L77 V741
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:20:08 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #91048 on: May 17, 2021, 11:26:08 pm »
Tubes again.... stupid me, forgot I have MORE Tek duplicates I can use for parts ! Have so many of them I am starting to lose count apparently !  :scared:

I mean, I have also TWO type 547 (one is crusty and already missing tubes in the plug-in IIRC), and also TWO type 549.

That being said, none of them have the 6C4 and 12B4A I need...

However, the type 549 has x4   12B4A.... If the 'A' suffix is not that important in the case of that little HP scope, then maybe I can use that as a substitute  ?

If so, then all I need now is one single 6C4, or find a substitute that I might have.

Please see my response from above:)

The 6C4 or EC90 can be found at reichelt for 11 Euro/piece.

The 12B4A is available on ebay, for example here (4 units) - starting bid is 19 USD

Or this one - NOS, 13 EUR / unit

A good source for tubes is this website: http://www.die-wuestens.de/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91049 on: May 17, 2021, 11:27:17 pm »
Thanks Tautech !

Yep I just saw that same info right before reading your post !  :D

Half of a 12AU7, which I have in stock.

But would need to replace the tube socket and rewire. That's work and would " Frankenstein " that poor HP scope, which I would like to avoid.

Turns out the 6C4 is super cheap and readily available, should be able to get one for 5 Euros shipped, by the looks of it... so since that's the only tube I need to buy, that's economically viable so to speak... so will go for that. Drop in replacement, no extra work, and keeps the HP scope original. What's not to love  8)

OK, just bought the scope, well, I clicked the "Ship it to me" button, and paid for the shipping fees, it's all automated. But now I need to wait for the seller to take notice of that and confirm that the scope is still available. With my luck, it's already sold... but I doubt it, given it's void of any tubes, and very very very low spec indeed....

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:49:47 pm by Vince »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf