Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14790940 times)

Kosmic, K0ELB and 153 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91075 on: May 18, 2021, 09:49:51 am »
I just walked into my lab to see my Tektronix 577 curve tracer catching fire.
I think I had left it on accidentally for a few days.
Luckily, it had decided to blow up while I was around, rather than being at work.
It smells bad, but at least the house is still standing...

Rifa's ?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #91076 on: May 18, 2021, 10:32:47 am »
There's also HMS Nordkaparen at Maritiman in Gothenburg. http://www.maritiman.se/fartygsflottan/ubaten-nordkaparen

Oh, and that one! Thanks. I've not been there, but I've been to the others.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91077 on: May 18, 2021, 11:07:38 am »
I just walked into my lab to see my Tektronix 577 curve tracer catching fire.
I think I had left it on accidentally for a few days.
Luckily, it had decided to blow up while I was around, rather than being at work.
It smells bad, but at least the house is still standing...

Rifa's ?
This is precisely why I have all of my lab on 2 circuits that I kill completely when I go out or go to bed and as a further safety precaution I have all of my devices that do not have a front mounted power switch, individually controlled via remote switch controlled from my Alexa system. I also, of course, only switch on the item(s) that I know that I'm going to be using for what ever I'm doing.

All to often I see people having great swathes of test gear on, only to have it on needlessly which is A) shortening their lifespan, B) increasing the chances of having rifas, tants etc expire with a possibility of a fire being the end result and lastly but not least C) reducing running costs due wasting energy and increasing my carbon footprint.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91078 on: May 18, 2021, 11:38:25 am »
Yes, exactly my thinking. Everything T&M sits on a dedicated remote switch, so does my ham transmitter gear plus shackPC. The third group is my "experiments/building table". The latter one also has a local big red emergency power off button.

Better safe than 🚑🧯

Wilko

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #91079 on: May 18, 2021, 12:02:35 pm »
New marketing photo for my other incoming TEA - yep I was bored  >:D

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:05:12 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #91080 on: May 18, 2021, 12:21:04 pm »
bean stew again.

I substituted the Carolina Reaper with 2 Carolina Reapers.

umm ... Spicy.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91081 on: May 18, 2021, 12:28:37 pm »
4 alarm fire!!

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #91082 on: May 18, 2021, 12:28:58 pm »
New marketing photo for my other incoming TEA - yep I was bored  >:D

This one's got a core, too:

roughly about 500VA
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:32:19 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91083 on: May 18, 2021, 12:38:49 pm »
- come on in the water is fine in Laser Land with me an a soon to be new member of the gang :-DD

Enabled right into the thin end of what looks to be an engulfing "experience".

$300 for the K40 and one of the boxes.  $50 for the other box.  Photos of the contents of the boxes will come in a day or two.  Two hour drive each way and a visit of friends in the area means you'll just get the one tonight.

This is just my first step into a larger world (now where did I hear that......?)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:43:51 pm by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying, tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91084 on: May 18, 2021, 12:42:28 pm »
I know what you're thinking Bean.....

THAT'S where I heard it.

:palm:  Oh gawd.... Bean's getting into my head more than I realised!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:46:50 pm by Brumby »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #91085 on: May 18, 2021, 01:11:38 pm »

THAT'S where I heard it.

I do remain 'slightly' mindful of Garage/WAF limits so it's only a little Laser ;D First production job is make aforementioned better half something nice for the house to ease it into the house or even if she is interested teach her to drive your new Toy and then see if you are still allowed to use it  :-DD

https://dxfprojects.com/
https://www.thingiverse.com/tag:lasercut
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91086 on: May 18, 2021, 01:42:30 pm »
I am envious. Don't have room for a laser cutter.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91087 on: May 18, 2021, 01:46:08 pm »
Oh my dear Bean, there is no problem there.

As I was settling it into the car, she put in an order for me to make her a jig saw puzzle.  I told her it wouldn't be big, showing the working area and she replied "That's OK, you could still get 500 pieces in that".

My response was silence.  I knew there was only one way this would play out.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #91088 on: May 18, 2021, 01:59:51 pm »

THAT'S where I heard it.

*raises paw*   Actually, I would be the guilty party here... again...   

Well, at least as far as the egregious gif/meme abuse is concerned.

mnem
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:02:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91089 on: May 18, 2021, 02:09:11 pm »
Blah, blah..  :blah: A distribution amplifier isn't "test equipment", it's just a mere accessory. That doesn't count!  :box:   Besides, I haven't bought it yet anyway...
Pffffttt again... In this space, the operator is also often a mere accessory.  :-DD

mnem
TEA is its own raison d'être.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91090 on: May 18, 2021, 02:17:55 pm »
I just walked into my lab to see my Tektronix 577 curve tracer catching fire.  I think I had left it on accidentally for a few days.  Luckily, it had decided to blow up while I was around, rather than being at work.  It smells bad, but at least the house is still standing...

Welcome to the nuthouse, Smoky; condolences on your loss. Here, have a taco. ;)

Now that you've had a day to grieve, and a belly full of warm food... I'll remind you of one of the unwritten laws of TEA: Pics please, or it didn't happen!!! :-DD

mnem
 :-BROKE

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91091 on: May 18, 2021, 02:27:58 pm »
Oh my dear Bean, there is no problem there.

As I was settling it into the car, she put in an order for me to make her a jig saw puzzle.  I told her it wouldn't be big, showing the working area and she replied "That's OK, you could still get 500 pieces in that". My response was silence.  I knew there was only one way this would play out.

https://draradech.github.io/jigsaw/index.html    >:D

https://makerdesignlab.com/tutorials-tips/online-file-generators-for-laser-cutting/

mnem

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91092 on: May 18, 2021, 02:51:25 pm »
Mnem - aka - TIE (The International Enabler).  Plus, when he goes all out, that becomes TIE fighter.

Indeed, you deserve more blame thanks than I have expressed.  Please accept my apologies, yet again.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:53:01 pm by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91094 on: May 18, 2021, 03:07:25 pm »
The story of my acquisition is here - but in that story is this bit, which IS of relevance to this thread:
We chatted for a bit and found out he was into electronics - with a test bench he was looking to dispose.  One item mentioned was a 150V 60A electronic load.  Sorry - I didn't get any further details of this or anything else, but his indication was that it wasn't cheap gear.  I mentioned the EEVblog - so if he turns up here, we might have the opportunity to find out.  Important note: he takes great care of his gear.  For example, the K40 cabinet has a couple of very minor blemishes - and they could have been there from new.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 03:39:19 pm by Brumby »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91095 on: May 18, 2021, 04:14:20 pm »
You have a CRT a mains transformer and all the hardware, time to desigin your own solid state 'scope.  >:D
Well it s possible. Either FETs to replace the tubes or a bunche of op-amps givn the low frequency.

I don't have nothing I am afraid : woke up this morning, got an automated e-mail from the website, saying that the seller cancelled my transaction and that I will get refunded (scope was free but still had to pay 12 Euros for shipping)... yet the scope is still on-line... hmm.... typical : usually means that guy  does not want to bother shipping the thing, even though there was a "click here to get it shipped" button featured on this ad. I just messaged the guy to ask for clarification, but either he won't even reply, or just say fuck you I do as I please. Am used to that...

OK, so no HP TE for me... even 50 year old free stuff does not work, I am officially cursed. I guess I better go back to sanding the dry walls in my toilets and bathroom, more useful than a 38nd scope I guess ?!  :-//

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #91096 on: May 18, 2021, 04:30:12 pm »
Hey all, I'm back home from my surgery and overnight stay at the hospital. This was for the ole prostate ream out. I'm back on a catheter until tomorrow when I go to the urologist to have it removed in the morning. Then go home and come back in the afternoon and see if the machinery is working as it should.

Surprisingly not in any real discomfort but I feel kinda wiped out. Just going to relax the rest of the day.

I'm not even going to try to catch up....about 5 pages behind. Is there anything important that I missed? 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, wolfy007, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91097 on: May 18, 2021, 04:35:02 pm »
welcome back.
Only a short detour into politics and guns which thank god Odin could be stopped short.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #91098 on: May 18, 2021, 04:35:44 pm »
Hey all, I'm back home from my surgery and overnight stay at the hospital. This was for the ole prostate ream out. I'm back on a catheter until tomorrow when I go to the urologist to have it removed in the morning. Then go home and come back in the afternoon and see if the machinery is working as it should.

Surprisingly not in any real discomfort but I feel kinda wiped out. Just going to relax the rest of the day.

I'm not even going to try to catch up....about 5 pages behind. Is there anything important that I missed?

Welcome 'home'.   :-+ :-+

Hope all goes well tomorrow and you're soon back in fighting trim.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91099 on: May 18, 2021, 04:37:37 pm »

Glad you are OK papa Smurf !   

As for catching up, it all depends on your personal definition of what's " important " !  ;D

I suggest you do catch up to make up your own mind... there IS an abnormally high proportion of actual TE content, funnily enough !  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf