Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14899058 times)

Nanitamuscen, Cesar_D and 175 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #91125 on: May 18, 2021, 11:28:46 pm »
Well, fleabay has found a new way to irritate me. Many, but not all, of my standard searches now display the image shown below at the top of the results. Given how relevant their "we thought you might like this similar thing" suggestions aren't, do they really think I'll trust them to determine what I'm not interested in?

Never seen that before, but looking at it, I can't help but wonder if you have some international searches set up? If so I'm kinda wondering if this is an attempt at stopping eBay having to act as VAT collector on imported items? Are the "most relevant listings" all UK ones by any chance?

You've been reading too many of Mnem's rants or two many supermarket tabloids, your paranoia is showing.  :) 

I've seen them many times and over quite a long period, they're not a recent thing. They seem to come up where the search terms throw up a lot of things that are unrelated to what you're really looking for but have search keywords associated with them that 'push' them into the results. More often than not they seem to do a good job, but as with all 'trying to be clever' software sometimes it fails spectacularly and hides what it really is you're looking for. Mostly they're helpful and appear benign in intent rather than being manipulative.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91126 on: May 18, 2021, 11:56:59 pm »
Don't have room for a laser cutter.

I knew there was something else I had to think about........

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #91127 on: May 19, 2021, 12:00:37 am »
Thought I had a problem on the 1000v range on my HP 4329A High Resistance Meter,  turns out, RTFM.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, TSCOLAN, Kosmic

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91128 on: May 19, 2021, 12:03:01 am »
"Having fun doing more, with less"

Does not seem to apply to me.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91129 on: May 19, 2021, 12:09:11 am »
Yes, exactly my thinking. Everything T&M sits on a dedicated remote switch, so does my ham transmitter gear plus shackPC. The third group is my "experiments/building table". The latter one also has a local big red emergency power off button.

Better safe than 🚑🧯

Wilko

I have a self-hold-connected contactor for the machine shop, with emergency BRS at critical places. The self-hold circuit also controls the AUTO mode of the electronics workbench which is on a separate contactor. This contactor can also be actuated by switching to HAND on the control panel, or it can be blocked by switching to 0.

On the bench I've got both fixed and controlled outlets, because I want to have things like battery chargers running even without main power available.  I've liberated a couple 1HE mains PDUs from the skip at work, which have rear-mounted individually fused IEC outlets and a mains inlet with Neutrik Powercon. One of those serves all of my switched TE. 
I won't even leave a battery on charge overnight as its unsupervised and knowing how a phone battery can explode etc if things go wrong, its a risk not worth taking. Kill everything apart from what I consider must have's like, the router, the hub unit, power to the TV, DVD player etc, everything else get power chopped  for fire safety reasons if nothing else.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91130 on: May 19, 2021, 01:02:40 am »
Most of my instruments in frequent use have been upgraded recently enough to have an LCD (for the full-screen displays) but recently I got a device with a CRT.

This is fine, it's good and readable. Many of my instruments are much older, they just dont' happen to need a big screen.

But, like many people who've posted pictures here, I have a fairly dense stack with 20 or so instruments in a couple of square metres of shelving - and the big problem I had was that I can't put this CRT near any power supplies as they make the screen wobble.

What do you do about this ? Never use certain instruments at the same time ? Split them widely apart so they don't interfere ? Or is this device (an HP53310A) just absurdly sensitive to external fields ?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #91131 on: May 19, 2021, 01:07:57 am »
Change the PSU's !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91132 on: May 19, 2021, 01:27:48 am »
What do you do about this ? Never use certain instruments at the same time ? Split them widely apart so they don't interfere ? Or is this device (an HP53310A) just absurdly sensitive to external fields ?

Never had that type of problem with my HP 53310A or any other crt based instrument.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #91133 on: May 19, 2021, 03:08:59 am »
You have a CRT a mains transformer and all the hardware, time to desigin your own solid state 'scope.  >:D
Well it s possible. Either FETs to replace the tubes or a bunche of op-amps givn the low frequency.

I don't have nothing I am afraid : woke up this morning, got an automated e-mail from the website, saying that the seller cancelled my transaction and that I will get refunded (scope was free but still had to pay 12 Euros for shipping)... yet the scope is still on-line... hmm.... typical : usually means that guy  does not want to bother shipping the thing, even though there was a "click here to get it shipped" button featured on this ad. I just messaged the guy to ask for clarification, but either he won't even reply, or just say fuck you I do as I please. Am used to that...

OK, so no HP TE for me... even 50 year old free stuff does not work, I am officially cursed. I guess I better go back to sanding the dry walls in my toilets and bathroom, more useful than a 38nd scope I guess ?!  :-//

At least you are making progress on the home front (literally)!

No recent TEA here either.

I need to knock out the bathroom plumbing, but am not allowed to do that until it is warm enough to setup an outdoor shower.
However, SWMBO forgot that the mosquitoes will be in full force once it is that warm  :scared:

Okay, there was some progress on the home front, but not of my own efforts.
We got the well fracked, so our water supply is now plentiful.  The 'expert' (and I use that term loosely) measured 400+ gallons per hour in a 1.5 hour test  :-+
However, there is lots of silt in the water so now I need to clean all the filters and water softener.  The expert said the water would clear up in 24 hours, but we are going on 2 weeks now   :rant:
Oh, and the expert maybe damaged the well pump, so we had to replace that at the same time  :--
Total cost of fracking and pump is more than my TEA expenditures over the last 5 years.
That might not be true in future if I extrapolate based on the last year and the effect of this group... :phew:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #91134 on: May 19, 2021, 04:28:49 am »
ouch.

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #91135 on: May 19, 2021, 04:37:39 am »
Most of my instruments in frequent use have been upgraded recently enough to have an LCD (for the full-screen displays) but recently I got a device with a CRT.

This is fine, it's good and readable. Many of my instruments are much older, they just dont' happen to need a big screen.

But, like many people who've posted pictures here, I have a fairly dense stack with 20 or so instruments in a couple of square metres of shelving - and the big problem I had was that I can't put this CRT near any power supplies as they make the screen wobble.

Try putting a sheet of steel between the 53310A and other instruments to see if that improves the situation. You will get better results by folding the ends of the sheet down over the offending instrument to provide a shorter path for the stray flux to travel through.

If you don't want to use the steel shield as a permanent solution you could look into putting a flux shorting strap around the mains power transformer assuming that the offending instrument has a linear PSU and not a switch-mode one.

A a last resort you could look at adjusting the vertical scan frequency of the CRT monitor in the 53310A to more closely match the mains frequency. There will still be some image shimmer but it will be much slower and not so noticeable.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91136 on: May 19, 2021, 06:56:12 am »
There's also a chance it's conducted interference so maybe try rearranging the mains supply and then check for interference.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91137 on: May 19, 2021, 07:10:00 am »
Don't have room for a laser cutter.

I knew there was something else I had to think about........

Knowing Saskia, she's probably thinking of something like this...

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #91138 on: May 19, 2021, 07:46:36 am »
EU is going to charge VAT from outside EU imports July 1st.  |O
that is going to increase price from Ali i guess. 21% VAT in my case (NL)
i quickly ordered BG7TBL some toys.

FA-3 with big display
WB-SG2 with big display and adjustable output (4.4 GB)
GPSDO GPS+GLONASS (to have a spare)

FA-3: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AcvpQV
WB-SG2: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AZPUfL
GPSDO GPS+Glonass+display: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AZMYZB

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #91139 on: May 19, 2021, 07:55:04 am »

FA-3 with big display

I ordered my 40W Laser just before that came into being in Oz >:D Just something for you all to keep in mind ..... :-DD

Before we got done over anything under $1000 AUD was duty and GST/VAT free as an import. Post this all items imported from the major reputable platforms (Ali Express, Evilbay, and even Bangenupgood and similar) all charge and collect Aussie GST at time of purchase. Painless paperwork wise it is good but sucks as it is a tax grab.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91140 on: May 19, 2021, 08:07:36 am »

FA-3 with big display

The EU has always charged VAT on goods from outside the EU except in cases where there is a free trade agreement such as Japan.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #91141 on: May 19, 2021, 08:12:23 am »

FA-3 with big display

The EU has always charged VAT on goods from outside the EU except in cases where there is a free trade agreement such as Japan.

McBryce.

For NL it was free of VAT below 20 or 30 Euro... and Ali BangBang know that, so it is all shipped below 20 pesos on paper.
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91142 on: May 19, 2021, 08:19:49 am »
So the 20 - 30 lower limit is going?? Where have you read that?

McBryce.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91143 on: May 19, 2021, 08:22:27 am »
Welcome to the real world  ;) There is no limits our Government will go to get it's 10% even below $1 no problem it is just someone else's cost to collect it and pass it on  :horse: Below is a recent low value invoice from Ali Express.

The Height of Stupid with our system was some of the outs allowed. 'Coffee' is exempt as is 'Milk' as is 'Bread' and some other staples but put the Coffee and Milk together then it is taxable and a piece of buttered bread would be too. So if I sell Coffee Beans or Ground Coffee it is exempt but the packaging is not and if I make a coffee at a market then it is taxed even if it is only water added for a black coffee  |O
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91145 on: May 19, 2021, 08:36:26 am »

McBryce.
https://business.gov.nl/amendment/new-vat-rules-international-e-commerce/#:~:text=Under%20current%20rules%2C%20imported%20goods,of%20%E2%82%AC22%20or%20less.&text=As%20of%201%20July%202021,from%20import%20levies%20(invoerrechten).

"For the first time, large online marketplaces will be made responsible for ensuring VAT is collected on sales on their platforms that are made by companies in non-EU countries to EU consumers. This includes sales of goods that are already being stored by non-EU companies in warehouses (so-called 'fulfilment centres') within the EU which can often be used to sell goods fraudulently VAT free to consumers in the EU."

So nothing will change, in fact it might get cheaper because the Ali's and Banggood's of the world won't do this and won't care either.

McBryce.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91146 on: May 19, 2021, 08:38:36 am »

McBryce.
https://business.gov.nl/amendment/new-vat-rules-international-e-commerce/#:~:text=Under%20current%20rules%2C%20imported%20goods,of%20%E2%82%AC22%20or%20less.&text=As%20of%201%20July%202021,from%20import%20levies%20(invoerrechten).

"For the first time, large online marketplaces will be made responsible for ensuring VAT is collected on sales on their platforms that are made by companies in non-EU countries to EU consumers. This includes sales of goods that are already being stored by non-EU companies in warehouses (so-called 'fulfilment centres') within the EU which can often be used to sell goods fraudulently VAT free to consumers in the EU."

So nothing will change, in fact it might get cheaper because the Ali's and Banggood's of the world won't do this and won't care either.

McBryce.

As they do it for Tiny Little Oz what makes you think they won't do it for other countries? Unfortunately we were one of the first and other countries are following  :palm:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91147 on: May 19, 2021, 09:52:31 am »
They do? Then we'll have to wait and see what happens here.

McBryce.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91148 on: May 19, 2021, 10:01:27 am »

McBryce.

McBryce.

That is just wishful thinking.
This has already been started in the UK (but hidden somewhat under the brexit "noise"). The local companies like ebay will charge it beause they are subject to EU law. A lot of the Chinese companies have already registered for VAT and will start charging it. It's not clear if they will actually pay it to te destination companies, that has been aproblem in the UK.
If the correct VAT paperwork is not included the shipping/import companies will happily charge you for the VAT PLUS their collection / admin fees.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91149 on: May 19, 2021, 10:18:07 am »
Yep been charged for our NZ 15% GST on eBay and Aliexpress purchases for some months now however with running a business this only means more paperwork as it all gets claimed back.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf