Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14784907 times)

Cesar_D, factory, BrianInTexas, Jambalaya, djadeski, K0ELB, klab, tggzzz, powerflux and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #92275 on: June 13, 2021, 12:19:49 pm »
Discord wasn't even on my radar today... Picked up a bug and it's making me feel rather ordinary.

While I was pretty certain it wasn't COVID, I got the test done, just to be sure.  That came back negative - but they also did a couple of other tests, because I was sick.  Turns out I have RSV.   Bleahhh

Oh well, it could be worse.

I've nursed both my children through RSV on the brink of pneumonia, in hospital. Take care. It can get nasty fast.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92276 on: June 13, 2021, 02:10:52 pm »
I just had a quick look inside.
The dallas chip seems to be 1992, funny, as S/N of scope says 1989.
More funny that there is no RAM fail during self test. and no start up message addressing an RAM error.

There is no capacitor leakage inside the power supply either.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, kj7e, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, syau, tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #92277 on: June 13, 2021, 02:17:57 pm »
I've nursed both my children through RSV on the brink of pneumonia, in hospital. Take care. It can get nasty fast.
It seems to affect kids more seriously.  This old war horse is just feeling tired and annoyed.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92278 on: June 13, 2021, 03:07:40 pm »
Discord wasn't even on my radar today... Picked up a bug and it's making me feel rather ordinary.

While I was pretty certain it wasn't COVID, I got the test done, just to be sure.  That came back negative - but they also did a couple of other tests, because I was sick.  Turns out I have RSV.   Bleahhh

Oh well, it could be worse.

It's only really a worry for the very young, the very old and immunocompromised people. Most of us will have had RSV as adults and experienced it as "the common cold"; around 20% of common colds are caused by RSV.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #92279 on: June 13, 2021, 04:12:21 pm »
....and maybe a working kickstand, etc...         https://www.amazon.ca/Bresuve-Kickstands-Kickstand-Adjustable-Aluminum/dp/B07TXKQQCP/   Speaking of which... can anybody here tell me if these work worth a flying fuck? It looks like it would be a perfect fit if they aren't just pure Craptonium. :-//
For the kickstand, I do not recommend the one pictured.  It is bolted only to the chainstay.  As a result, it has to be bolted tightly in order to hold any bike, and yours is on the heavy side.  You do not want to crush the chainstay, nor do you want it to slip & twist and topple the bike.  Keep looking for a kickstand that bolts to both the chainstay and the seatstay.  This way, the stand will not twist and you will not have to risk crushing any of the stays.

Also, check the length of the kickstand.  You want the bike to rest at an angle where it is stable.  I probably do not have to say it, but I am sure you can handle (tinker with tools) a stand that is too long.  One that is too short ... not much can be done.
Due to the risk of dropping a bike when on a stand or getting it bumped or blown over most I ride with even socially don't use them.

Yeah; the one that came on it has this ingenious latching mechanism that actually prevents the bike from being able to roll off the stand; I've shoved the bike pretty hard with my fat ass and it just digs in and shoves me back.  :-DD

Maybe finding a way to put it back on would be be a better solution... tho it would require that I completely rebuild the rear wheel with an over-length axle so I can fit it under the lugnut...  :scared:

Gawddammitt... I just found a 240mm extended axle (made for fatbike) in stock on Amazon for $18, and by my measurement I need a minimum 130mm, so that actually gives me some leeway. Both that and the  :wtf: kickstand will be here by Sunday; I'll get something on there that works.

mnem
fuck both of you. bastards. >:D

Those bits came for my fatBike, so I'm back to work on it. That all-aluminum adjustable kickstand might have worked, but the thing was in fact pure Craptonium; I trial-fitted it to the bike, but the length adjustment screw hole came pre-stripped, the design did not readily lend itself to tapping/going up a size, and due to the angle when closed, it wanted to rest right on the brake rotor. That POS is going back ASAP.

Since all my bits had arrived together, I rebuilt the rear wheel with proper CNC aluminum spacers for the brake rotor to get rid of the printed mockup part, and a extra-long axle so I could bolt the original kickstand back on it. As you can see, the thing is quite beefy, and it has a nice locking latch. The geometry is actually perfect here; it supports right at the center of gravity with that motor there and feels very stable. I just needed to dolly the mounting flange flat then add a bolt through it and the motor plate so it can't twist when weight is put on it. 8)

Now that's done, it was time to make up a proper battery holder; since my trials with a single 24V Kobalt Drill Battery with wires gaffer-taped in place went so well, I decided to make the actual battery clip so it could hold 2 in parallel for twice the joy. ;)

I downloaded the original design from Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4331642 and printed it in two parts, which I then glued together with CA because: Reasons.   Those screwed-on covers do hide a multitude of sins; I wasn't interested in remixing this thing in Frustion360, so there's some ugly soldering. And because I'm not using the same connector blades it was designed for, I had to melt the connectors in place.  meh and a half.  :-// :-//

All in all, I'm quite happy with the result; it is not exactly pretty, but will function exactly as intended.   8)

These two bits should be the last of the "foundation mechanical work" on this project (knock on wood, etc); now everything should be refinements and little fiddly-bits work. Modding the throttle so it is the same as the one on the boi's bike still niggles at me; that will probably be the next major undertaking. ;)

mnem
*zoom-zoom*
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:52:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #92280 on: June 14, 2021, 01:43:00 am »

mnem
Don't make me come down there...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92282 on: June 14, 2021, 02:48:06 am »

Abducted?

Come on, they are aliens, but not that crazy.
- no one needs this amount of bickering in his abductee holding cells
- no one likes to have his flying saucer partially dismantled and vital components misappropriated
- no one likes to hear all the 'this is not a proper probing, must I show you how it us done' comments
etc.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, mindcrime

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #92283 on: June 14, 2021, 02:57:35 am »
Still feeling like crap, so doing nothing interesting - thus nothing to report.

I'm not even actively following anything on eBay outside of the bundle of Tek literature - and not looking at anything on Amazon, Banggood, Aliexpress or Gumtree.

What I have done, though, is lash up my hot air gun to my microphone boom arm and running at at minimum temp to introduce some warm air in the vicinity of my nose.

I have to make sure I keep the air stream below my eyes as it can dry them out pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:59:55 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #92284 on: June 14, 2021, 03:43:47 am »
Still feeling like crap, so doing nothing interesting - thus nothing to report.

I'm not even actively following anything on eBay outside of the bundle of Tek literature - and not looking at anything on Amazon, Banggood, Aliexpress or Gumtree.

What I have done, though, is lash up my hot air gun to my microphone boom arm and running at at minimum temp to introduce some warm air in the vicinity of my nose.

I have to make sure I keep the air stream below my eyes as it can dry them out pretty quickly.

Macgyver symptom management  :-+

Should be out 'fixing' a portrait of 'our Monarch' for her non Birthday holiday. Some things just need to go :palm:

But instead still battling with Fusion Sheetmetal and telling it to do what I want not what it thinks is best |O Just need to add in the living hinge cuts for the Lasering now.

Edit Cuts added so time to Fire up  >:D

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:10:56 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92285 on: June 14, 2021, 04:02:49 am »

Abducted?

Nah! "The Rapture!"
Now we who weren't the "chosen ones" can get some work done!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92286 on: June 14, 2021, 04:05:04 am »

Should be out 'fixing' a portrait of 'our Monarch' for her non Birthday holiday. Some things just need to go :palm:

Careful.  :o You may be on the other side of the globe but you are still part of the Commonwealth which makes you a loyal subject. You may wind up in the Tower in chains.  :scared: ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #92287 on: June 14, 2021, 04:10:50 am »
For someone who was born into the job and had no choice in the matter, I'd be a little more gracious.

Her son, the heir, is a different story, however.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92288 on: June 14, 2021, 04:16:52 am »
For someone who was born into the job and had no choice in the matter, I'd be a little more gracious.

I'd say it's even odds that he takes a dirt nap before she does.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92289 on: June 14, 2021, 04:40:20 am »

I was being gracious  :-DD My Pome background is Irish (southern) and Scottish not English ;)

King Chuck will be a Bridge way to far I suspect if we ever get to another referendum and Little Johnny won't be there to rig the questions this time.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #92290 on: June 14, 2021, 04:41:34 am »
That explains a lot.   ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92291 on: June 14, 2021, 05:11:38 am »
 :P  :-DD

One for the Germans in the group. Might be worth making an unreasonable offer at least eBay auction: #143996606527

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92292 on: June 14, 2021, 07:42:21 am »
Not been doing much I thought, then made a list:
1/ Metalwork and power supply intial testing on the FRK atomic clock.
2/ Buying stuff on ebay. "not much on there" but managed to grab (A) a couple of little medical units that look like they are based on a small touch screen PC, more to follow when they arrive. (B) a home made scintillation counter with bicron probe. (C) a 80mm 4 jaw independent chuck for the lathe.
3/ One of the neighbours is moving so keeping a eye on their skip (with permssion) so far have retrieved (i) collection of parallels and lathe tools (promted to buy chuck above and determination to finish setting up the ML2) (ii) Snap-on LED work light / flashlight. (iii) Various leads and adptors, mains, HDMI, network and audio (iv) airline and fittings.
4/ Checked out the electrical testers that came with the 8022B and resistive load. All work so have gone back on ebay.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92293 on: June 14, 2021, 09:00:58 am »

mnem
Don't make me come down there...
Strange, that was my thoughts when I got home from my trip to Heathrow Airport yesterday, after trying to get another few shots of AF1 and AF2, which are unlikely to grace us with their presence for a few more years, pics to follow.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92294 on: June 14, 2021, 09:16:16 am »

Careful.  :o You may be on the other side of the globe but you are still part of the Commonwealth which makes you a loyal subject. You may wind up in the Tower in chains.  :scared: ;D

There are mad Poms who would plot a kidnap to do just that---some carry the royalism to an extreme.

How insulting is it, in any case?
If any female person could carry off a mustache in style, it's Bessie!

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92295 on: June 14, 2021, 09:25:20 am »
If any female person could carry off a mustache in style, it's Bessie!

Bessy (from Belgium) was a comic here in Germany back in the days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessy_(comics)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92296 on: June 14, 2021, 09:28:37 am »
Yep, I second the Ebay thing, not only has been quiet on anything fascinating, but the prices are going through the roof especially on non-working shit  :wtf:

I have however made a purchase on eBay USA, I got myself a rather rare Casio scientific calculator, it was on a BIN deal, so I asked seller if they would accept an offer on it because once the GSP costs and import duty are added on would make it almost not worthwhile. The seller agreed, and we agreed a price was reasonable, but the shipping and duty tripled the price, hence the deal request.

I have to say that, so I'm really impressed with the speed of the shipment, ordered on the 9th, and it has already made it from Greensborough to Erlanger, Kentucky, over the pond to the UK and is now already in the hands of Hermes UK, so I'm expecting it anytime real soon.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92297 on: June 14, 2021, 10:06:29 am »
Ok, here are the photos as promised, after I got myself badly burnt getting these, despite covering myself in blocking lotion, it was just that darned hot in the capital yesterday and looking around me, I saw that I was not alone and that others were suffering far worse. All the usual spots for photographers were rammed solid, so we hunted around for another suitable spot and found one, but by the time AirForce 1 was due, so had many others also found the same spot, and it too became packed.

When AF1 arrived, there was much jockeying for position and unfortunately the photos suffered by being caught up in web a web of lenses and I was forced to try a different tack for AF2 when it arrived a few minutes later.

Here they are.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92298 on: June 14, 2021, 11:24:31 am »
Been a while since I added to the collection but this one might be handy for the Bench PC rather than finding space for the spare HP Logger and seems to have Windows 10 64 bit software available.

Cheap plaything regardless  :) eBay auction: #324676415463

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92299 on: June 14, 2021, 12:02:43 pm »
Been a while since I added to the collection but this one might be handy for the Bench PC rather than finding space for the spare HP Logger and seems to have Windows 10 64 bit software available.

Cheap plaything regardless  :) eBay auction: #324676415463

That was cheap, I've got more than that for just a lead. Maybe people were put off by the PCI card.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf