Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786026 times)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #92400 on: June 17, 2021, 05:11:20 pm »
P.s. Anyone looking for a really weird format Scope? Never seen one of these before: https://www.ebay.de/itm/294226941853

Yes, have seen these before if rarely. That one looks a bargain, clearly power supply issues rather than anything difficult.

I'd buy it myself, but I want to see how well the border crossings are working first. I have some precision resistors currently sitting in Dorsten on their way to me, with the real test being when they reach UK customs...

If it goes for €20 it's a bargain. I'm tempted too, but that weird-ass form factor means it's not stackable and would take up serious bench space, so I'm skipping it.

McBryce.

Very tempted as I lack any kind of portable battery powered scope (at least I hope that is what the battery holder is for). Any know of a manual for it?

David

I'd chance it even without any manuals. It's thru-hole technology, pretty obvious that it's a PSU issue and operation will be possible without documentation.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #92401 on: June 17, 2021, 05:37:36 pm »
I can send you the manual via email.

I placed a bid on it (not too high), so you will have to outbid me. I will not bark if you do.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #92402 on: June 17, 2021, 05:51:39 pm »
I can send you the manual via email.

I placed a bid on it (not too high), so you will have to outbid me. I will not bark if you do.

... didn't say anything about not biting ... 
:popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92403 on: June 17, 2021, 05:53:33 pm »
Bit of searching reveals a Philips version (thought the controls looked familiar), quote from Broadcast Engineering July 1989.

The Philips PM 3308 digital storage oscilloscope is a portable package with a 100MHz bandwidth that features an electroluminescent screen, extensive arithmetic and analysis functions. It also features a 180kbyte RAMdisk for storage of 100 waveforms or setup menus and is non-volatile with battery backup. It weighs 14.5 pounds, and the DSO displays four traces simultaneously, including Channels A and B with two mathematically calculated traces.

No mention of battery operation, only the backup power source for the RAMdisk?

Edit: also in Popular Electronics May 1989, think I'll leave it, good luck Saskia.

David
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 06:28:22 pm by factory »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92404 on: June 17, 2021, 06:53:40 pm »
Bit of searching reveals a Philips version (thought the controls looked familiar), quote from Broadcast Engineering July 1989.

The Philips PM 3308 digital storage oscilloscope is a portable package with a 100MHz bandwidth that features an electroluminescent screen, extensive arithmetic and analysis functions. It also features a 180kbyte RAMdisk for storage of 100 waveforms or setup menus and is non-volatile with battery backup. It weighs 14.5 pounds, and the DSO displays four traces simultaneously, including Channels A and B with two mathematically calculated traces.

No mention of battery operation, only the backup power source for the RAMdisk?

Edit: also in Popular Electronics May 1989, think I'll leave it, good luck Saskia.

David
Hello there, this is exactly the Philips that I want to get rid of.
Mine did not smoke yet, has no external damage, but a corroded battery holder and aquisition error on Ch.2.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #92405 on: June 17, 2021, 06:59:21 pm »
@Neomys feel free to toss it in my direction so that I can have a go and hone my repair skills

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92406 on: June 17, 2021, 07:16:36 pm »
The Rockland 442 dual active filter I won on ebay last month finally turned up, in a badly bashed box and a single layer of small bubblewrap  :palm:
Some how it survived. Nothing too exciting inside but high quality compnents and well made.
Not something you use everyday but when you need one you need one. It was only £11 including shipping so I could flip it to the electronic music nerds for a profit.......but I'm not going to do that >:D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92407 on: June 17, 2021, 07:26:09 pm »
Not had a chance for working on any TEA, or much else for a while.
Last week my ancient Topfield 5810 TV recorder box decided it didn't want to read the HDD contents anymore  |O, another WD HDD failure, to be fair it's lasted since 2009 and turning off the continuous "timeshift" recording mode probably helped.
Some quick teardown pictures, if I had more time I might have bothered cleaned it first.

Before trying the spare HDD removed from the piece of Vestel shit it replaced, a quick check of the PSU rails revealed no problems, most of the original crap Samxon capacitors in the Topfield PSU got replaced in 2011.

After fitting the spare lower capacity HDD (500GB down to 160GB) the voltages were checked again, all seemed OK, the only noticeable difference was the unregulated +12V, which had increased from +12.14V to +12.23V, this is probably due to the different power requirements of the HDD, Topfield recorders are supposed to be very fussy about which HDD is fitted, maybe this is part of the reason.  :-//

I'll probably carry on using it with the spare HDD till it fails too, then maybe think about a SATA conversion.  :-\
The replacement is a little noisier, I never realised the original HDD was 7200rpm, certainly it was very quiet.

David
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:29:25 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92408 on: June 17, 2021, 07:56:08 pm »
I am broke, and actually just got fired today (no big loss, shitty job and shitty company) yet somehow I managed to have a pleasing TE moment for very little money !

Found this old WaveTek DM27XT DMM. As crap as it gets as far as DMM performance goes, 2000 count and matching atrocious accuracy. However it's not the point ! I have plenty of much better DMMs in my collection, a dozen Metrix MX 53/54/56, 50.000 counts up to 0,025% accuracy.

No. I am trying to STOP wasting my very scare resources on buying the same instruments over and over again. Have so many of these Metrix DMMs, and so many scopes... like 30+ now ? Lost the count long ago. No, my aim now is to spent my very limited budget, on buying stuff that actually adds value to the lab. Stuff that adds features, enables me in new ways, opens new doors. Stuff that I can use to make things I could not do before. The list of such instruments is very long...

So when I saw that little Wavetek the other day, for only 15 Euros (20 shipped), I could not resist. It features many little cool things I just could not pass for so little money, all in one package, and with a cool brand name on it too, to boot.

Also, back in the day, I used to see in magazines, ads for this style of WaveTek DMM, and the Metrix MX 53/54/56 too. The Metrix were so out of this world that I could only dream of them. Cost a month worth of salary. The WaveTek were cheaper, and there were a wide range of features and performances, to cater for all needs and budgets. Still, even the cheapest one was too much for me.
So, I am glad I can have my revenge now and possess, 25+ years later, one of these WaveTek DMM's.

Anyway, what drew my attention to this DMM was the fact that it looked more like a handheld LCR meter than your traditional general purpose DMM.
Since I can't afford the DE5000 I dream of, I though this little Wavetek would get my into LCR measurements on the cheap. Any LCR meter is better than none at all !  That would get me started for dirt cheap, nothing to lose !

- Main reason I bought it was its low capacitance capabilities : my fancy Metrix DMM go haywire with caps lower in value than say  2 or 5 nF, which drives me nuts.  The WaveTek has a 2nF range ! Which means a 1pF resolution ! At the least, it ought to measure properly below 1nF, I thought.

- Measures inductances too, now we are talking ! Lowest range is 2mH so 1uH resolution. Highest range is 20H, if it even exists such a high inductance in the electronic world ?!

- Has a cool 1000VDC range.

- 20A current range rather than the usual 10A range.

- Nice low amps range as well : 200uA, so 100nA resolution !

- Nice ohms range, goes up to 2000 Mohms.

- Nice frequency counter, up to 20MHz !

- Logic probe functionality, handles both TTL and CMOS thresholds. I always wanted a logic probe, now I can play with one.

So really, lots to love in my view, a great addition to the lab for very little money !

Was rather filthy, so took it apart to bits so I could give it a thorough cleaning. This way I could also see how it's put together inside. It's fully packed, I got my money's worth for sure. Two board facing one another. Other than the main chip CPU/LCD driver, I see no less than 10 other DIL IC ! Mostly op-amps of all types and makes, and a few 4000 logic chips. Overall design and  construction looks very nice, definitely not your cheapo 5 bucks Chinese DMM.

While I had it apart, cleaned the golden contacts / traces for the rotary switch. Glad I did : they looked clean/like new/ shiny to me, but once I poured IPA on the thing and rubbed it with Q-tips, boy that lifted an awful amount of dirt ! Q-tips came back completely black, had to use 6 of them to get rid of all the crap. So, never trust your eyes... just clean the traces anyway, you never know what condition they really are in....

Put it all back together and tested it. Works just fine. I was mostly interested in the low capacitance capabilities and boy the WaveTek delivered : picked some random disc ceramic caps I had laying around. 150pF ones. DMM reads 30pF with no test leads attached (maybe one of the trimmers inside the instrument would let me zero that out, don't know... ). When I measure the 150pF caps I read 180pF , so spot on ! Tried a few times, on a few different caps... always spot on and reliable. No hesitation no nothing... this thing can measure pF caps just as well as your random DMM can measure uF !

So for this alone, I was over the moon that I bought this thing !

Then tried measuring some inductances ! Picked a small DC motor, a small speaker I recently salvaged from a flat TV, and the secondary winding from a small mains transformer.  It works just fine !

I scoped the DMM to see what was going on during a measurement. Both Capacitance and Inductance mode. In both modes of operation it works the same : outputs a fully AC (zero DC offset that I can measure on the scope) signal, triangular, 1kHz  or so, low amplitude. Amplitude varies depending on the load the DUT imposes of course. When measuring the scope/probe, hence high Z, I observed a 200mVpp wave. When measuring the inductance of the small speaker, I saw 15+ mVpp.

So it's definitely doing some proper LCR stuff here... which explains why there are so many ICs in the thing.

So, in conclusion... I was right... ADDING new functionality to the lab got me so much more excited than adding yet another scope to my collection !
Being able to measure reliably low pF caps is incredible, and being able to measure inductances is a first. I am over the moon. A new world opens up to me, I can FREAKING MEASURE INDUCTANCES NOW !!!!!   :D :D :D :D :D
I feel so excited about it, so thrilling.. I feel as excited as I was when I got my very scope 30 years ago !

So this goes to show that even on a shoe string budget, it is possible to add cool stuff to the lab and get excited about it !

The best 20 Euros I have spent IN A LONG TIME !!!  :-+

So that now motivates me to continue this policy.... NO N-th scope or DMM... money now only to be spent on devices that add new capabilities to the lab !  8)

A few pics then going to bed.. only 10PM here but somehow I am already knackered  :-//

« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 08:46:07 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, 1Ghz, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, factory, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92409 on: June 17, 2021, 08:18:46 pm »
Very nice, I bought a different Wavetek DMM (HD160B) a few years ago, as it was one of the few modern-ish DMM's with a 1500Vdc/1000Vac range (same as some older Beckman DMM's had), need to take some quick teardown pictures when get round to changing the battery.

Do I need more handheld DMM's? as I only have four, the Wavetek HD160B, Yokogawa 7533-03, Beckman Tech 310 and a cheapo no-name thing.

David
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 08:29:45 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #92410 on: June 17, 2021, 08:47:27 pm »

Do I need more handheld DMM's? as I only have four, the Wavetek HD160B, Yokogawa 7533-03, Beckman Tech 310 and a cheapo no-name thing.

Well, of course you do.

I've got 6 Flukes (2 off 8060, 8022B, 8020A, 10, 123), 2 Gossen (one ABB branded MetraHit 14, one MetraHit 25), and one -hp- 974A -- very much a Yokogawa..

I think I'm getting close to "saturated in multimeters" state, but there's always room for more.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92411 on: June 17, 2021, 09:01:05 pm »
Very nice, I bought a different Wavetek DMM (HD160B) a few years ago, as it was one of the few modern-ish DMM's with a 1500Vdc/1000Vac range (same as some older Beckman DMM's had), need to take some quick teardown pictures when get round to changing the battery.

Wow that WaveTek looks rugged as hell, ready for beefy power stuff measurements in the field ! 
Yoko looks cute. A definite Fluke ripoff in its styling, but enough subtle changes to give it its own personality. Kinda cute.
Will most likely never see one for sale in Frog land...

Prof read my long message, fixed a gazillion typos, was atrocious sorry for that, can't help but type way too fast on that bloody keyboard ! Should be a much smoother read now...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92412 on: June 17, 2021, 09:04:08 pm »

Well, of course you do.

I've got 6 Flukes (2 off 8060, 8022B, 8020A, 10, 123), 2 Gossen (one ABB branded MetraHit 14, one MetraHit 25), and one -hp- 974A -- very much a Yokogawa..

I think I'm getting close to "saturated in multimeters" state, but there's always room for more.

Damn your right, only having the one DMM with a 200uA range (the Beckman) is simply unacceptable, might take a while to find something else to add to my collection.  :-DMM

David

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92413 on: June 17, 2021, 09:15:59 pm »

Wow that WaveTek looks rugged as hell, ready for beefy power stuff measurements in the field ! 
Yoko looks cute. A definite Fluke ripoff in its styling, but enough subtle changes to give it its own personality. Kinda cute.

Prof read my long message, fixed a gazillion typos, was atrocious sorry for that, can't help but type way too fast on that bloody keyboard ! Should be a much smoother read now...

The Wavetek is definitely more aimed at Sparky work than electronics, they are now sold under the Amprobe name, the HD110C & HD160C still have the 1500Vdc/1000Vac range.

Yokogawa stuff isn't very common over here either, it does look a bit similar to some Flukes from the outside, but a bit different inside, here are a couple of teardown pictures of the 7533-03.

David
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 09:19:03 pm by factory »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92414 on: June 17, 2021, 10:19:43 pm »
Well, it does seem that a lot can change in the space of a few hours  :-+ Hermes has got its fingers out on my rare vintage calculator. In the space of just a few hours it has gone from still expecting it, to receiving it at the national sorting hub, all the way it is now sitting at my local delivery depot awaiting loading onto the van for delivery.

Maybe I might receive it tomorrow,  :o I'll keep you posted.

I know It's not strictly TEA but hopefully next week I might be able to tear down that Casio keyboard I rescued from landfill, and have a go at fixing its issues with a dodgy power switch and possibly a loose circuit board as some sound effect keys seem to bend the board downwards when pressed. It all depends on if there is any other rare aircraft movements occurring near here. Its been so long since my son and I have been able to point our cameras at anything worthwhile that we are tending to grab things when they arise at the moment.

It seems likely that we might be going back into another lockdown soon, at least a local one if not a national one as cases of the Delta Covid-19 are rising rapidly in the Essex area with one town seeing a tripling of cases in a week. It is also beginning to a bit close and personal now as my Sister in Law has been contacted by Track and Trace and told that has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, so she has been told to self-isolate and with the relaxation of rules, SWMBO has been spending a lot of time with her family of late  :scared:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 10:21:19 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #92415 on: June 18, 2021, 12:01:15 am »
I have a Siglent SHS806, so I've no real need* for another portable scope.

McBryce.

* Excuse the "n" word, I know it has no place in this thread.

:-DD

Thank fook it's the weekend, I'm pooped 
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92416 on: June 18, 2021, 12:09:32 am »

McBryce.

Update/refresh for the SHS range coming soon.  :-X
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92417 on: June 18, 2021, 12:23:00 am »

McBryce.

I've got some bad news Anders, it's another whole working day to the weekend. Well, there is for all you wage slaves anyway.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #92418 on: June 18, 2021, 01:46:10 am »

McBryce.

I've got some bad news Anders, it's another whole working day to the weekend. Well, there is for all you wage slaves anyway.

Not for me, I've been on lates, 10 hours a day Monday to Thursday. No more work until 15:30 hrs Monday.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #92419 on: June 18, 2021, 02:32:51 am »
Found a great deal on an elusive Eveready 763 22.5v battery for one of my HP 427's.  It was listed as New but no box, it arrived and measured 23v!   When the time comes, Ill cut the battery box open and replace the guts with other cells of some sort.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92420 on: June 18, 2021, 03:11:37 am »

David

I liked the old "Beckpersons" like the one in your pic.

They were the first handheld DMMs Telecom Aust provided us with----we had early bench Flukes beforehand, but some of them were fault prone, leading to a quite different meaning to "It's a Fluke if it works."

By contrast, the Beckmans were monotonously reliable.

When I left TA & went to work in Commercial TV, we were supplied with Fluke 77s, which were every bit as reliable, quashing my suspicions.
I still have that meter, as when I left, they let me keep it.
TVW were very good with meters, as they sent them off to Philips for calibration & repair of any little "niggles"once a year.
I killed the continuity beeper on mine, when I dropped it into a bucket of salty water (don't ask! :palm:), & it was fixed the next time it went in for "Cal".

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #92421 on: June 18, 2021, 06:08:37 am »

Long, long time ago I've had a red 27XL - that's all whats left; PM if you want it.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92422 on: June 18, 2021, 06:28:33 am »

McBryce.

Does that mean new firmware for the current SHS range to remove the remaining bugs?

McBryce.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92423 on: June 18, 2021, 07:21:24 am »

McBryce.

Does that mean new firmware for the current SHS range to remove the remaining bugs?

McBryce.
No.
Rework with new guts, OS and GUI.
Proper and well overdue refresh of the range.
ATM don't know anything more so  :popcorn: until we do.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92424 on: June 18, 2021, 07:25:37 am »

McBryce.

McBryce.
No.
Rework with new guts, OS and GUI.
Proper and well overdue refresh of the range.
ATM don't know anything more so  :popcorn: until we do.

Pity they never fixed the graphics bug. Annoys the hell out of me every time I switch it on.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf