Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14559658 times)

TERRA Operative, Ice-Tea and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #92425 on: June 18, 2021, 08:17:27 am »
Tektronix Graphics Bug - oopsy eBay auction: #284337228581 Anyone in Oz needing a mule postage is sensible?

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92426 on: June 18, 2021, 09:00:26 am »
I do love this vintage R&S stuff.
This is a measuring transmitter (not mine, just found it in the ebay ads in Germany), type SMFA, 1.39MHz - 510MHz

I've saved the pictures made by the seller of this nice machine.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/r-s-rohde-schwarz-smfa-am-fm-messender-1-39-510-mhz/1798742389-168-1588

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:02:18 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92427 on: June 18, 2021, 09:57:27 am »
Wondering out loud how BD139's shifting house is going ?
Aching back just thinking about it.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, FransW

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92428 on: June 18, 2021, 10:07:01 am »
tomorrow is a new discord session. Good opportunity to ask him directly :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #92429 on: June 18, 2021, 10:10:01 am »

I'm sorting out my parent's house. Four storey, 8-16 room depending on what you include in the definition of "room". Full of treasures, some valuable. Not sure whether to include the gharial's head in the category of valuable, since I'm not sure it would be legal to sell it.

I don't have to think about it to have a painful hip. Fortunately there is a (4 storey) chair lift :)

It has been a month since BD was here. I expect my job will take at least a quarter.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92430 on: June 18, 2021, 10:12:12 am »
tomorrow is a new discord session. Good opportunity to ask him directly :)
Day after tomorrow for us downunder.......Sunday morning.
What's the bet he'll still be unpacking or at least cracking the whip while his 3 girls do.  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92431 on: June 18, 2021, 10:32:48 am »
Tektronix Graphics Bug - oopsy eBay auction: #284337228581 Anyone in Oz needing a mule postage is sensible?

Seeing that first thing in the morning has ruined my entire day.   :o

Luckily I already have a mule with an intact CRT.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92432 on: June 18, 2021, 10:33:56 am »

I'm sorting out my parent's house. Four storey, 8-16 room depending on what you include in the definition of "room". Full of treasures, some valuable. Not sure whether to include the gharial's head in the category of valuable, since I'm not sure it would be legal to sell it.

I don't have to think about it to have a painful hip. Fortunately there is a (4 storey) chair lift :)

It has been a month since BD was here. I expect my job will take at least a quarter.

I think it depends on when the gharial was killed. There's some rule where if they were hunted before 1973 or there abouts, they are exempt from the protected species laws (but don't quote me on that).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #92433 on: June 18, 2021, 10:46:00 am »
Another Beckman Industrial, in this case the 40000 count true RMS "850".
It is on its third set of 9V battery clips, and the front has seen a lot of UV light in the last 34 years, but it is working still very well. I also got the manual. Battery life is measured in years. Was my first DMM at work, 34 years ago.

Greetings,

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92434 on: June 18, 2021, 10:49:30 am »
It looks like I should be getting that calculator delivered today between 14:00 and 16:00 hours, keeping my fingers crossed on that.

On the BD front, yes it's been a month now, but he did have a massive task on his hands, just moving his own house will be very demanding in its own right what with the Move, Store, Sell or Dump scenario to be played out as his new flat is far smaller. His daily inputs are missed, and I just hope that his new place has internet access already.

If you are monitoring this at all, we'd all love a quick update from you on how things are progressing and as regards to discord tomorrow, I hope to be there this week. Weather is looking shit, so I'm unlikely to be dragged off to an airfield to give the cameras a workout, I refuse to take my camera out when its wet, I value it much to get it wet  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #92435 on: June 18, 2021, 10:53:54 am »

I think it depends on when the gharial was killed. There's some rule where if they were hunted before 1973 or there abouts, they are exempt from the protected species laws (but don't quote me on that).

I believe it is 3rd March 1947, but haven't checked in detail. The problem would be proving the age - not sure what would be required/possible, e.g. radiocarbon dating a scale (not hair).

It wouldn't be difficult to get an expert to say that for my leopard skin, which was killed in the mid 30s since it had become a man-eater.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #92436 on: June 18, 2021, 11:05:29 am »
It looks like I should be getting that calculator delivered today between 14:00 and 16:00 hours, keeping my fingers crossed on that.  :-+

snipp

Weather is looking shit, so I'm unlikely to be dragged off to an airfield to give the cameras a workout, I refuse to take my camera out when its wet, I value it much to get it wet  :-+

So a return from English 'Heatwave' to 'English Summer'  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92437 on: June 18, 2021, 11:46:25 am »

CITES annex I so unless mounted before 1947 will need a licence to sell it. A licenc costs less than £50 so probably worthwhile doing.
https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/guides/information-guides/endangered-species/

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #92438 on: June 18, 2021, 11:54:21 am »
On the BD front, yes it's been a month now, but he did have a massive task on his hands, just moving his own house will be very demanding in its own right what with the Move, Store, Sell or Dump scenario to be played out as his new flat is far smaller. His daily inputs are missed, and I just hope that his new place has internet access already.

If you are monitoring this at all, we'd all love a quick update from you on how things are progressing and as regards to discord tomorrow, I hope to be there this week. Weather is looking shit, so I'm unlikely to be dragged off to an airfield to give the cameras a workout, I refuse to take my camera out when its wet, I value it much to get it wet  :-+

Bear in mind he has the additional problem of being unable to log on to the forum due to (SMF?) refusing to talk to his email.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92439 on: June 18, 2021, 11:59:07 am »
Interestingly it's not just the date of death for annex I CITES products, its when they were last "converted". So if the item was killed and mounted before 1947 it's OK but if it was turned into a desk lamp in 1950 it would need a licence.
Mabe we should campain for CIMTE  (Control of Inappropriate Modification of Test Equipment)  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92440 on: June 18, 2021, 01:03:16 pm »
Not sure whether to include the gharial's head in the category of valuable, since I'm not sure it would be legal to sell it.

Presumably pre-CITES so not a problem. You'd need paperwork to prove its age.

Valuable? Probably not. That kind of thing has gone out of fashion, for good reasons. If it wasn't for the CITES hassles I'd say ship it to BU508A to give his workroom that proper "Wizard's Lair" feel à la Pratchett. (Terry has it that it is an immutable rule that a wizard's workroom has a stuffed crocodile hanging from the ceiling, reasons therefore stated to be unknown.)

If it's a good specimen (and who is qualified to judge that?) perhaps you could gift it to the Natural History Museum.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #92441 on: June 18, 2021, 01:18:13 pm »
Resistors arrived today, the Vishay's in their own presentation case!   :-DD

Thanks BU508A   :-+
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92442 on: June 18, 2021, 01:35:56 pm »
Resistors arrived today, the Vishay's in their own presentation case!   :-DD

Thanks BU508A   :-+

Glad to hear that.  :-+

My pleasure.  :D

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92443 on: June 18, 2021, 01:43:30 pm »
Valuable? Probably not. That kind of thing has gone out of fashion, for good reasons. If it wasn't for the CITES hassles I'd say ship it to BU508A to give his workroom that proper "Wizard's Lair" feel à la Pratchett. (Terry has it that it is an immutable rule that a wizard's workroom has a stuffed crocodile hanging from the ceiling, reasons therefore stated to be unknown.) to the Natural History Museum.

I'm more on Ponder Stibbons side and prefer a less mystic atmosphere in my lab.  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #92444 on: June 18, 2021, 01:57:34 pm »

Buy it, send it to Dave. He probably still needs a back cover for the one from his video.  ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92445 on: June 18, 2021, 01:59:05 pm »
I'm more on Ponder Stibbons side and prefer a less mystic atmosphere in my lab.  ;D

OK, so you've got ants.

Chocolate coated?

Edit: Currently part way through doing alchemy in my kitchen lab - anodizing an aluminium test coupon to see what the purple dye I've bought is like.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 02:01:32 pm by Cerebus »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92446 on: June 18, 2021, 02:12:32 pm »
Hex Two is doing very well. More or less...

Hex, his ants and chocolate? Could you explain that, actually I don't get the reference.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92447 on: June 18, 2021, 02:23:44 pm »
Not sure whether to include the gharial's head in the category of valuable, since I'm not sure it would be legal to sell it.

Presumably pre-CITES so not a problem. You'd need paperwork to prove its age.

Valuable? Probably not. That kind of thing has gone out of fashion, for good reasons. If it wasn't for the CITES hassles I'd say ship it to BU508A to give his workroom that proper "Wizard's Lair" feel à la Pratchett. (Terry has it that it is an immutable rule that a wizard's workroom has a stuffed crocodile hanging from the ceiling, reasons therefore stated to be unknown.)

If it's a good specimen (and who is qualified to judge that?) perhaps you could gift it to the Natural History Museum.

mnem
*mnementh lights in the rafters and, furling his wings, gazes inquisitively around the room...*
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 02:31:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92448 on: June 18, 2021, 02:28:38 pm »
Valuable? Probably not. That kind of thing has gone out of fashion, for good reasons. If it wasn't for the CITES hassles I'd say ship it to BU508A to give his workroom that proper "Wizard's Lair" feel à la Pratchett. (Terry has it that it is an immutable rule that a wizard's workroom has a stuffed crocodile hanging from the ceiling, reasons therefore stated to be unknown.) to the Natural History Museum.

Quote from:  Discworld Wiki
"Ponder likes to think of himself as the University's token sane person."

mnem
So... pretty much the same as any University then... :o

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92449 on: June 18, 2021, 02:42:37 pm »
Hex Two is doing very well. More or less...

Hex, his ants and chocolate? Could you explain that, actually I don't get the reference.

Well you obviously get the Hex and ants bit.

Now, what would an anthropomorphic aardvark like as a snack?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf