Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14818374 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #92550 on: June 21, 2021, 11:55:05 am »
Just grabbed myself a Amazon Prime Day bargain, got a battery pack to power the Karcher KHB5 pressure washer that I was given yesterday that came without a battery. Battery cost £38 at Amazon today only, normal price for the battery from Karcher is £65. The pressure washer should have cost £240 but would have included a battery as well. It is new, just has the battery missing. It looks like I might be having a purple patch lately, lets see how long that lasts.  :-+

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92551 on: June 21, 2021, 12:30:55 pm »
Do you have a screw loose?

All regulars here do, by definition. I'm sure you realise that, but non-native English speakers might not.

Rubbish! All my screws are neatly packed away in little boxes and labelled with their sizes. I don't have any rolling around loose.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #92552 on: June 21, 2021, 12:35:02 pm »
Yeah... almost positive the short is on the other side of one or more semis which is/are not turning on until the power rises enough. That snap was probably one such device or a resistor dying in that high-current path. Or, possibly a diode or tant cracking open like a walnut. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Yea, agree with all that. But that I can deal with. I just want to get this POS a stable power up and show at least SOME progress.  :palm:

Edit....still stable at 100V, 350ma.  :-+

Is it possibly some loose structure in the CRT itself maybe causing a short of sorts???

You never know...   :-\

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92553 on: June 21, 2021, 01:16:17 pm »

All regulars here do, by definition. I'm sure you realise that, but non-native English speakers might not.

Rubbish! All my screws are neatly packed away in little boxes and labelled with their sizes. I don't have any rolling around loose.  :)

Sorted into size, type, material, coating, thread size, colour and driver head type I hope!! Otherwise they may as well all be in the same box. :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92554 on: June 21, 2021, 01:34:40 pm »
My very limited understanding is that it is caused by food particles getting caught in depressions in the gut.

Close, but not the whole story. A diverticulum is an abnormal pouch or depression in the wall of any body structure, they can occur in places other than the gut although diverticula of the gut are the most common to draw attention to themselves. Diverticulitis of the colon is inflammation of a diverticulum usually associated with bacterial overgrowth or growth in the diverticula of unusual bacteria. You can think of a diverticulum of the gut rather like a small meander or depression in a river bank, where things can accumulate in the lea of the river's flow and so also in the gut, the diverticulum doesn't get regularly scoured out by passing matter. There are a number of medical interventions that ought to be tried before resorting to major surgery, the obvious one being the one you've mentioned, mechanically altering what's flowing past by the addition of 'fibre' which can also beneficially alter the kind of bacteria growing in the vicinity too.

Diverticulitis isn't of itself necessarily a major medical problem. The two main problems with it are that if untreated it might in the longer term lead to further weakening of, and finally to a breach of the gut wall (and that is serious) and it is excruciatingly painful. Pain from diverticulitis can be as bad as pain from bone cancer or a heart attack.  The treatment of choice for major pain, opioids, can lower gut mobility and make the problem worse - double whammy.  Saskia can be forgiven for any passing "sense of humour failure"s in the next few days, I feel for her. Just writing about it I'm becoming conscious of feeling my own gut contents going about their normal movements.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92555 on: June 21, 2021, 01:36:29 pm »

Sorted into size, type, material, coating, thread size, colour and driver head type I hope!! Otherwise they may as well all be in the same box. :)

McBryce.

Natürlich. Wir müssen Ordnung haben!

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92556 on: June 21, 2021, 01:41:29 pm »

McBryce.

The German phrase is: "Ordnung muß sein!" (not that I'm German, I just live here :) )

McBryce.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92557 on: June 21, 2021, 01:42:35 pm »
Just snagged a National Instruments GPIB-USB-HS Interface on ebay for under £50 shipped  :)
Seller is in UK and assures me it's a genune one originally suppled by NI UK. At least the jack screws are black which is a good sign. Main use will be with KE5FX's GPIB Toolkit and the Tek 492BP. The toolkit is optimised for the NI and Prologic interfaces. There are lots of clones of the NI interface out there and the latest NI  drivers won't work wth them.
Certainly can't complain at the price.
Forgot the link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154501160166?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:45:58 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #92558 on: June 21, 2021, 02:01:07 pm »

Are you suggesting that you've never, ever had one pinnnnng! away behind the bench, never to be seen again?

*gaze narrows suspiciously* I do find that highly suspect...  ???

mnem
I occasionally receive postcards from one of my loose screws; evidently it joined some resistance cell in Berkeley and is now fighting for human rights in the Ukraine... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92559 on: June 21, 2021, 02:10:13 pm »

McBryce.

The German phrase is: "Ordnung muß sein!" (not that I'm German, I just live here :) )

McBryce.
An old university friend, now living in Germany, told me of his run-in he had with the local Ordnungsamt about the vegation in front of his house. He translated this word for me as 'tidiness office'  ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92560 on: June 21, 2021, 02:15:50 pm »

McBryce.

I knew there was a more idiomatic way of saying it, but it escaped me offhand.

I've been regularly working with Germans one way or another for the past thirty years or so, and they've changed. In the past if I wanted to get my own way, all I had to do was formulate my way of doing something as the more orderly way of doing things and everybody would fall into line. On the last, ostensibly German, project I worked on the wider team had Brits, Italians, Spaniards, Indians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romanians and Hungarians as well as the usual Germans and the poor old Germans had fallen into this kind of fatalism ("It's megacorp, what can you do?") and abandoned any hope of ever seeing "Die deutsche Ordnung" ever again.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92561 on: June 21, 2021, 02:20:22 pm »
Are you suggesting that you've never, ever had one pinnnnng! away behind the bench, never to be seen again?

There's a label on the wall, "M3, ISO 14580, 10mm, C.E.P 2m" and an arrow pointing downward.  :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92562 on: June 21, 2021, 02:54:41 pm »

There's a label on the wall, "M3, ISO 14580, 10mm, C.E.P 2m" and an arrow pointing downward.  :)

"Pictures, or it didn't happen!"    >:D

No, seri0usly... thanks for the belly laugh. I needed it. ;)

mnem

*currently Home Alone with the kidzz*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92563 on: June 21, 2021, 03:21:26 pm »
Ok, ER. Diagnosis confirmed. Waiting for CT to grade it and decide on treatment. Doc wants to cut out 1m of intestines, I am hesitant.

Don't be.
I had my turn with differticulitis perforata about 10 years ago.
With as result an obligatory stoma for 3 months.
You do not want this.

Frans
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #92564 on: June 21, 2021, 03:45:40 pm »

McBryce.

Of course!

(Of course the challenge then becomes finding where the hell I left the boxes of screws, but at least they are big enough to at least somewhat lessen their ability to hide.)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92565 on: June 21, 2021, 03:51:48 pm »

No comment.   :o

mnem
*screw'd*
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:53:26 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92566 on: June 21, 2021, 04:14:17 pm »

I refer you to my earlier comment.
I now suggest that the transistor that was being turned is now open circuit  but the root cause component failure is tht turned it on hard is still passing excessive current.
With hindsight a lower voltage an "look" with  thermal imager, IR thrmometer or even just a finger on transistors would have been preferred.

I agree with Robert here, even a cheap $10 to $20 Infra Red Thermometer will when the red laser dot is directed onto the parts will be sufficient to detect something that is warming up to a temperature that is above the background temp. Keep the voltage low and the damage will not get out of hand. If the fault does not show itself when the power supply is connected, I'd personally be very tempted to wiggle about the wiring looms in case there is a fault in those, maybe a sharp piece of metal digging into them at some obscure location that might be aggravated by gravity or temperature?

I don't have time to work on this today due to doctor's appointments and other stuff but let me leave my observations from last night to give everyone some additional info because IMHO it's getting real strange.

It had been powered up for several hours with no issues. After it had been off for several hours I attempted a power up and the power supply overloaded just as it had earlier. Basically indicating that the short had returned. After several tries it cleared and came up. Thermally related short? Certainly sounds like it. But wait...there's more. Last night did a power up and it came up no issues. After it had been on for several minutes I heard a snap and saw the power supply react to the snap but it stayed up. For the rest of the time it stayed up with no issues. I woke up in later that night and decided to do another power up. It came up but after about 30 seconds heard a snap and I'm sure I saw an arc by the Vertical Output board pictured here. The +100V comes into the board at that top left wire and that's where the flash was. The board is mounted on standoffs and right above that are the Vertical Output transistors. This area has had prior work because the CRT was replaced in 1977.

I am seeing something under that board but I don't know what it is. I should have time tomorrow to investigate this further.  :phew:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92567 on: June 21, 2021, 04:21:21 pm »
Behavior smells like a hinky cap to me.

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92568 on: June 21, 2021, 04:28:46 pm »

mnem

There are no caps on that board except for low value puffers. Maybe I have two separate issues.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #92569 on: June 21, 2021, 04:31:53 pm »

mnem

There are no caps on that board except for low value puffers. Maybe I have two separate issues.  :palm:

Just two issues?   :P :P :P

<ducks and runs>

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92570 on: June 21, 2021, 04:33:02 pm »

McBryce.

McBryce.
An old university friend, now living in Germany, told me of his run-in he had with the local Ordnungsamt about the vegation in front of his house. He translated this word for me as 'tidiness office'  ;D

Ordnungsamt is always a difficult thing to explain outside Germany, but in reality it exists to a certain extent in other countries too. Park wardens and traffic wardens tasks are part of what the German Ordnungsamt look after. So the Ordnungsamt can be seen as a type of Park warden who's duties extend beyond the park. Admittedly, they can be a bit too enthusiastic about their job, but that happens with all sorts of wardens in other countries too.

McBryce.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92571 on: June 21, 2021, 04:43:15 pm »
I am seeing something under that board but I don't know what it is. I should have time tomorrow to investigate this further.  :phew:

I'm calling "bug", as in a dead desiccated spider lodged under the board between HV and chassis.  :)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #92572 on: June 21, 2021, 04:53:17 pm »

Having a used (i.e. creaky, clunky, crack-prone) raised flooring in the workshop gives a further possibility; the escape of small components under the floor.  Ask me how I know.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92573 on: June 21, 2021, 05:12:51 pm »
I'm calling "bug", as in a dead desiccated spider lodged under the board between HV and chassis.  :)

Did somebody say spiders...?   :-DD

mnem
Sorry; the SNR was getting a bit too high. >:D

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92574 on: June 21, 2021, 05:27:34 pm »
So the Ordnungsamt can be seen as a type of Park warden who's duties extend beyond the park.

Their main function has become making money for the town. Parking tickets, fines of all kinds, the lot...

A while ago, there was a report in the local press about them setting up a speedcam on a stretch of motorway that's restricted to 100 kph. The town council were expecting.... well, what? 30 percent less accidents? No more casualties? Far from it. They were expecting 3 millions in fines per year.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf